About Dr. Juan Jose Ibarra Rovira
I am Juan Ibarra-Rovira, born and raised in Asuncion, Paraguay.Moved to the US in 2003 to achieve my dream of becoming a Board Certified Radiologist. Trained at Baylor College of Medicine in a Categorical 5 year program in Diagnostic Radiology. Additional training of 1 year fellowship in Abdominal Radiology at MD Anderson. Returned to BCM and worked as staff for 7 years (2011-2018)covering a wide variety of services including, Fluoroscopy, Ultrasound, X-ray, CT, MRI and some minimal interventions. Developed a dedicated Prostate MRI program in collaboration with the GU Surgical Service lead by Dr Godoy for performance of US/MRI fusion biopsy. Supervised residents in the Abdominal and Emergency Services at BTGH reaching the level of ER Radiology Director, and Medical Director of Radiology at Smith Clinic for Harris Health. I am currently an Abdominal Radiologist at MD Anderson Cancer Center, with interest in cancer imaging of the GI and GU tracts, focused in pancreatic, prostate and urothelial carcinoma as well as neuroendocrine tumors as member of the Disease Focused Panel in the Society of Abdominal Radiology. I am also focused on the use of structured reporting (currently in pancreas) as well as appropriate use of imaging for specific diagnosis Some of my goals are; to communicate complete and clear information regarding the disease involving each patient so my colleagues can act accordingly upon the information provided and to shift imaging to an appropriate modality to give the most sensitive and specific diagnosis, and answer the questions being asked.
Present Title & Affiliation
Assistant Professor, Department of Abdominal Imaging, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Prostate, Urothelial and Pancreatic Carcinoma
Education & Training
|1999||Universidad Nacional De Asuncion, Asuncion, PRY, MD, Medicine and Surgery|
|2010-2011||Clinical Fellowship, Abdominal Radiology/Oncologic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2005-2010||Clinical Residency, Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|2001-2003||Clinical Residency, Radiology, Universidad Nacional De Asuncion, Asuncion|
|2000-2001||Clinical Internship, Universidad Nacional De Asuncion, Asuncion|
|2010||American Board of Radiology|
Experience & Service
Assistant Professor, Department of Abdominal Imaging, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 2011 - 2018
Department Chair ad interim, Department of Abdominal Imaging, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 2016 - 2018
Clinical Medical Director, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 2015 - 2018
Medical Director, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Baylor College of Medicine - Harris Health System, Houston, TX, 2013 - 2018
Institutional Committee Activities
Advisor/Member, Tumor Measurement Initiative, 2021 - Present
Member, Chair Search Advisory Committee, 2021 - 2023
Honors & Awards
|2012||Teacher of The Year, Baylor College of Medicine|
|2009||Resident of the Year, Baylor College of Medicine|
- Awiwi MO, Badawy M, Shaaban AM, Menias CO, Horowitz JM, Soliman M, Jensen CT, Gaballah AH, Ibarra-Rovira JJ, Feldman MK, Wang MX, Liu PS, Elsayes KM. Review of uterine fibroids: imaging of typical and atypical features, variants, and mimics with emphasis on workup and FIGO classification. Abdom Radiol (NY) 47(7):2468-2485, 2022. e-Pub 2022. PMID: 35554629.
- Ibarra Rovira J, Thirumurthi S, Taggart M, Yilmaz B, Lin H, Zhong LL, Ejezie CL, Akhmedzhanov FO, Zarifa A, Leung CH, Hong DS, Vikram R. Role of Abdominal and Pelvic CT Scans in Diagnosis of Patients with Immunotherapy-Induced Colitis. J Immunother Precis Oncol 5(2):32-36, 2022. e-Pub 2022. PMID: 35664090.
- Ranasinghe WKB, Troncoso P, Surasi DS, Ibarra Rovira JJ, Bhosale P, Szklaruk J, Kokorovic A, Wang X, Elsheshtawi M, Zhang M, Aparicio A, Chapin BF, Bathala TK. Defining Diagnostic Criteria for Prostatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma at Multiparametric MRI. Radiology 303(1):204732, 2022. e-Pub 2022. PMID: 35076303.
- Klimkowski S, Ibrahim M, Ibarra Rovira JJ, Elshikh M, Javadi S, Klekers AR, Abusaif AA, Moawad AW, Ali K, Elsayes KM. Peutz-Jeghers Syndrome and the Role of Imaging: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, and Associated Cancers. Cancers (Basel) 13(20), 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34680270.
- Wang X, Ma J, Bhosale P, Ibarra Rovira JJ, Qayyum A, Sun J, Bayram E, Szklaruk J. Novel deep learning-based noise reduction technique for prostate magnetic resonance imaging. Abdom Radiol (NY) 46(7):3378-3386, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 33580348.
- Consul N, Amini B, Ibarra-Rovira JJ, Blair KJ, Moseley TW, Taher A, Shah KB, Elsayes KM. Li-Fraumeni Syndrome and Whole-Body MRI Screening: Screening Guidelines, Imaging Features, and Impact on Patient Management. AJR Am J Roentgenol 216(1):252-263, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33151095.
- Elsherif SB, Virarkar M, Javadi S, Ibarra-Rovira JJ, Tamm EP, Bhosale PR. Pancreatitis and PDAC: association and differentiation. Abdom Radiol (NY) 45(5):1324-1337, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31705251.
- Fielding JC, Wagner-Bartak NA, Javadi S, Morani AC, Ganeshan D, Ibarra-Rovira JJ, Liu X, Jensen CT. Improved Computed Tomography Contrast Injection Rates Through Implantable Chest Power Ports. J Comput Assist Tomogr 44(6):911-913, 2020. PMID: 32976270.
- Ibarra-Rovira JJ, Kundra V. Biopsy in Prostate Cancer. More Is Better. Radiol Imaging Cancer 2(4):e204019, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33778726.
- Le, O, Ibarra Rovira, JJ. Cystic Pancreatic Lesions: A Review of Diagnosis and Management. Indian Society of Gastrointestinal and Abdominal Radiology:35-39, 2020.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Wang X, Son J, Bhosale P , Qayyum A, Ibarra Rovira J, Hwang KP, Stafford J, Pagel M, Lebel M, Bayram E, Ma J, Szklaruk J.. High Resolution Prostate T2 weighted MRI with Deep Learning and without an Endorectal Coil. ePoster ISMRM, 2020.
- Ibarra Rovira J, Vikram R.. Genitourinary malignancies TNM staging update based on the 7th edition of AJCC Staging Manual. Poster SUR, 2010.
- Nguyen M, Singh L, Ibarra Rovira J, Fisher R, Whigham C, Trinh C.. Endovascular repair of a subtotal transected left subclavian artery. CIRSE: CIRSE, 2009.
- Bray C, Naeini R, Ibarra Rovira J.. Liposclerosing Myxofibroid Tumor (LSMFT). ACR: ACR, 2008.
- Machain G, Ibarra Rovira, JJ. Splenic Conservation during distal Pancreatectomy. EFACIM: Asuncion, Paraguay, 1998.
- Yilma Y, Ibarra Rovira J, Musher L Prolapsed Gastric GIST: A rare cause of Biliary Obstruction and Acute Pancreatitis. Clinical Gastroenterology and Hapatology(13):e35-e36, 2015.
- Lerner S, Duddalwar V, Huang E, Altun E, Bathala T, Kennish S, Ibarra Rovira J, Lucchesi F, Muglia F, Thomas S, Vikram R, Vargas A, Cen S, Hwang D, King K, Varghese B, Fevrier-Sullivan B, Kirby J, Jaffe C, Freymann J. Comprehensive radiomics analyses of qulitative and quantitative features of cross sectional imaging in the TCGA project in MIBC. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2019.
- Juan J Ibarra Rovira, MD.; Ashish Kamat, MD.; Arlene O. Siefker-Radtke, MD.; and Vikas Kundra, MD., PhD.. Urothelial Carcinoma (Bladder Cancer and Upper Tracts). In: Oncologic Imaging. A Multidisciplinary Approach. Second Edition. Elsevier: Philadelphia, PA, 309-329, 2022.
- Javadi S, Wong V, Ibarra Rovira J, Bhosale P, Tamm E. Diagnosis and Staging of Pancreatic Cancer: Imaging Evaluations—Pancreatic Protocol CT and MRI, PET-CT. In: Pancreatic Cancer: A Multidisciplinary Approach. Springer, 2022.
- Ibarra-Rovira, J. J., Da Rosa, M. R. & Haider, M. A. Prostate Imaging. In: Cross-Sectional Imaging of the Abdomen and Pelvis: A Practical Algorithmic Approach. Springer: New York, 2015.