About Dr. Gu
Dr. Jun Gu is an Associate Professor at the School of Health Professions (SHP) and is a Program Director for the Cytogenetic Technology (CGT) Program. He received his Bachelor's degree in Medicine from the School of Medicine, Zhejiang University in 1989. He completed his surgical residency in Hangzhou Red Cross Hospital in 1992. He later received his Master's degree in Environmental Science with an emphasis in Genetic Toxicology from the School of Public Health, University of Texas Health Science Center in Houston and subsequently a Doctor of Philosophy from Trident University in Healthcare Management. He was the last graduate student of Dr. T.C. Hsu, who discovered hypotonic effect for modern cytogenetics. Dr. Gu holds a specialty clinical cytogenetics certification from ASCP. He joined MD Anderson Cancer Center in 1994 and has worked in both clinical and academic environments. Dr. Gu has taught over 15 courses to CGT, DG, and SHP students. He is also serving as a member of the institutional Education Resources Committee (ERC) and Alumni & Faculty Association Steering Committe at the MD Anderson Cancer Center. Dr. Gu has 28 publications in peer-reviewed journals, 78 abstracts, and 52 oral and poster presentations.
Associate Professor, Department of School of Health Professions, Division of Academic Affairs, Sr VP Office, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Program Director-Cytogenetic Technology, Department of School of Health Professions, Division of Academic Affairs, Sr VP Office, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Education Coordinator-Diagnostic Genetics, Department of School of Health Professions, Division of Academic Affairs, Sr VP Office, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Instructor, Department of School of Health Professions, Division of Academic Affairs, Sr VP Office, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Technical Specialist, Department of Pathology/Laboratory Medicine, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Research Assistant/Lab Manager, Department of Epidemiology, Division of OVP, Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2009||TUI University, Cypress, CA, USA, PHD, Healthcare Management|
|1996||University of Texas, Health Science Center in Houston - School of Public Health, Houston, TX, USA, MS, Environmental Science - Genetic Toxicology|
|1989||Zhejiang University, School of Medicine, Hangzhou, CHN, MD, Medicine|
|1993-1994||Research Fellowship, Cellular Genetics, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2009||American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) - Cytogenetics|
|1998||National Certification Agency (NCA) - Clinical Laboratory Specialist in Cytogenetics|
Cytogenetic Educator/Discipline Lead, National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences - Review Committee for Accredited Programs (RCAP), Rosemont, IL, 2016 - 2020
Member - AGT Liaison, College of American Pathologists (CAP) - Cytogenetic Resources Committee, Northfield, IL, 2016 - 2022
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Alumni & Faculty Association Steering Committee, 2014 - 2018
Member, Education Resources Committee, 2007 - 2014
|2018||ASCP Foundation Laboratory Science Program Director Educational Grant, ASCP|
|2015||Joseph Waurin Excellence in Education Award, AGT - Association of Genetic Technologists|
|2015||2015 urEssential Finalist, Cardinal Health|
|1995||Jack Kilian Award, The University of Texas, School of Public Health at Houston|
- Tang, Zhenya, Tang, Guilin, Hu, Shimin, Keyur P.Patel, Yin, C. Cameron, Wang, Wei, Lin Pei, Gokce A. Toruner, Ok, Chi Y. Gu, Jun, Lu, Xinyan, Joseph D. Khoury, L. Jeffrey Medeiros. Deciphering the complexities of MECOM rearrangement-driven chromosomal aberrations. Cancer Genetics 233-234:21-31, 2019. e-Pub 2019.
- Tang G, Hu S, Wang SA, Xie W, Lin P, Xu J, Toruner G, Zhao M, Gu J, Doty M, Li S, Medeiros LJ, Tang Z. t(3;8)(q26.2;q24) Often Leads to MECOM /MYC Rearrangement and is Commonly Associated with Therapy-Related Myeloid Neoplasms and/or Disease Progression. J Mol Diagn 21(2):343-351, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30576868.
- Gu J, Reynolds A, Fang L, DeGraffenreid C, Sterns K, Patel KP, Medeiros LJ, Lin P, Lu X. Coexistence of iAMP21 and ETV6-RUNX1 fusion in an adolescent with B cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia: literature review of six additional cases. Mol Cytogenet 9:84, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27895713.
- Gu J, Patel KP, Bai B, Liu CH, Tang G, Kantarjian HM, Tang Z, Abraham R, Luthra R, Medeiros LJ, Lin P, Lu X.. Double inv(3)(q21q26.2) in acute myeloid leukemia is resulted from an acquired copy neutral loss of heterozygosity of chromosome 3q and associated with disease progression. Molecular Cytogenetics 19(8):68, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26300976.
- Ramirez E, Singh RR, Kunkalla K, Liu Y, Qu C, Cain C, Multani AS, Lennon PA, Jackacky J, Ho M, Dawud S, Gu J, Yang S, Hu PC, Vega F. Defining causative factors contributing in the activation of hedgehog signaling in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Leuk Res 36(10):1267-73, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22809693.
- Gu J, Sreenath Nagamani SC, Hopwood VL, Sanchez B, Saeidinejad Y, Ou Z, Peacock S, Grange DK, Stankiewicz P, Cheung SW. Complex genomic rearrangement of chromosome 16p13.3 detected by array comparative genomic hybridization in a patient with multiple congenital anomalies, dysmorphic craniofacial features, and developmental delay. Am J Med Genet A 155A(10):2589-92, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21910221.
- Gu J, Liu Y, Kyritsis AP, Bondy ML. Molecular epidemiology of primary brain tumors. Neurotherapeutics 6(3):427-35, 2009. PMID: 19560733.
- Körbling M, de Lima MJ, Thomas E, Khanna A, Najjar AM, Gu J, Gelovani JG, Broaddus R. Fusion of circulating blood cells with solid-organ tissue cells in clinical stem cell transplants: a potential therapeutic model?. Regen Med 3(2):157-64, 2008. PMID: 18307399.
- Caraway NP, Gu J, Lin P, Romaguera JE, Glassman A, Katz R. The utility of interphase fluorescence in situ hybridization for the detection of the translocation t(11;14)(q13;q32) in the diagnosis of mantle cell lymphoma on fine-needle aspiration specimens. Cancer 105(2):110-8, 2005. PMID: 15712276.
- Goy A, Remache YK, Gu J, Stewart J, Hayes KJ, Gold D, Jiang Y, Barkoh BA, Katz R, Cabanillas F, Gilles F. Establishment and characterization of a new mantle cell lymphoma cell line M-1. Leuk Lymphoma 45(6):1255-60, 2004. PMID: 15360009.
- Gu J, Huh YO, Jiang F, Caraway NP, Romaguera JE, Zaidi TM, Fernandez RL, Zhang H, Khouri IF, Katz RL. Evaluation of peripheral blood involvement of mantle cell lymphoma by fluorescence in situ hybridization in comparison with immunophenotypic and morphologic findings. Mod Pathol 17(5):553-60, 2004. PMID: 15001994.
- Khouri IF, Lee MS, Saliba RM, Jun G, Fayad L, Younes A, Pro B, Acholonu S, McLaughlin P, Katz RL, Champlin RE. Nonablative allogeneic stem-cell transplantation for advanced/recurrent mantle-cell lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 21(23):4407-12, 2003. PMID: 14645431.
- Gong Y, Caraway N, Gu J, Zaidi T, Fernandez R, Sun X, Huh YO, Katz RL. Evaluation of interphase fluorescence in situ hybridization for the t(14;18)(q32;q21) translocation in the diagnosis of follicular lymphoma on fine-needle aspirates: a comparison with flow cytometry immunophenotyping. Cancer 99(6):385-93, 2003. PMID: 14681948.
- Jiang F, Caraway NP, Sabichi AL, Zhang HZ, Ruitrok A, Grossman HB, Gu J, Lerner SP, Lippman S, Katz RL. Centrosomal abnormality is common in and a potential biomarker for bladder cancer. Int J Cancer 106(5):661-5, 2003. PMID: 12866024.
- Shin HJ, Thorson P, Gu J, Katz RL. Detection of a subset of CD30+ anaplastic large cell lymphoma by interphase fluorescence in situ hybridization. Diagn Cytopathol 29(2):61-6, 2003. PMID: 12889041.
- Goy A, Ramdas L, Remache YK, Gu J, Fayad L, Hayes KJ, Coombes KR, Barkoh BA, Katz R, Ford R, Cabanillas F, Gilles F. Establishment and characterization by gene expression profiling of a new diffuse large B-cell lymphoma cell line, EJ-1, carrying t(14;18) and t(8;14) translocations. Lab Invest 83(6):913-6, 2003. PMID: 12808126.
- Jiang F, Lin F, Price R, Gu J, Medeiros LJ, Zhang HZ, Xie SS, Caraway NP, Katz RL. Rapid detection of IgH/BCL2 rearrangement in follicular lymphoma by interphase fluorescence in situ hybridization with bacterial artificial chromosome probes. J Mol Diagn 4(3):144-9, 2002. PMID: 12169675.
- Katz RL, Caraway NP, Gu J, Jiang F, Pasco-Miller LA, Glassman AB, Luthra R, Hayes KJ, Romaguera JE, Cabanillas FF, Medeiros LJ. Detection of chromosome 11q13 breakpoints by interphase fluorescence in situ hybridization. A useful ancillary method for the diagnosis of mantle cell lymphoma. Am J Clin Pathol 114(2):248-57, 2000. PMID: 10941340.
- Gu J, Spitz MR, Yang F, Wu X. Ethnic differences in poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase pseudogene genotype distribution and association with lung cancer risk. Carcinogenesis 20(8):1465-9, 1999. PMID: 10426793.
- Gu J, Bondy ML, Sigurdson A, Spitz MR, Hsu TC, Wu X. Three measures of mutagen sensitivity in a cancer-free population. Cancer Genet Cytogenet 110(1):65-9, 1999. PMID: 10198626.
- Yu H, Spitz MR, Mistry J, Gu J, Hong WK, Wu X. Plasma levels of insulin-like growth factor-I and lung cancer risk: a case-control analysis. J Natl Cancer Inst 91(2):151-6, 1999. PMID: 9923856.
- Sigurdson AJ, Bondy ML, Hess KR, Toms SA, Kyritsis AP, Gu J, Wang LE, Wang X, Adatto P, Bruner JL, Yung WK, Levin VA, Wei Q. Gamma-ray mutagen sensitivity and survival in patients with glioma. Clin Cancer Res 4(12):3031-5, 1998. PMID: 9865917.
- Wu X, Gu J, Amos CI, Jiang H, Hong WK, Spitz MR. A parallel study of in vitro sensitivity to benzo[a]pyrene diol epoxide and bleomycin in lung carcinoma cases and controls. Cancer 83(6):1118-27, 1998. PMID: 9740076.
- Wu X, Gu J, Hong WK, Lee JJ, Amos CI, Jiang H, Winn RJ, Fu KK, Cooper J, Spitz MR. Benzo[a]pyrene diol epoxide and bleomycin sensitivity and susceptibility to cancer of upper aerodigestive tract. J Natl Cancer Inst 90(18):1393-9, 1998. PMID: 9747870.
- Wu X, Gu J, Patt Y, Hassan M, Spitz MR, Beasley RP, Hwang LY. Mutagen sensitivity as a susceptibility marker for human hepatocellular carcinoma. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 7(7):567-70, 1998. PMID: 9681523.
- Wei Q, Gu J, Cheng L, Bondy ML, Jiang H, Hong WK, Spitz MR. Benzo(a)pyrene diol epoxide-induced chromosomal aberrations and risk of lung cancer. Cancer Res 56(17):3975-9, 1996. PMID: 8752166.
- Bondy ML, Kyritsis AP, Gu J, de Andrade M, Cunningham J, Levin VA, Bruner JM, Wei Q. Mutagen sensitivity and risk of gliomas: a case-control analysis. Cancer Res 56(7):1484-6, 1996. PMID: 8603389.
- Wei Q, Spitz MR, Gu J, Cheng L, Xu X, Strom SS, Kripke ML, Hsu TC. DNA repair capacity correlates with mutagen sensitivity in lymphoblastoid cell lines. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 5(3):199-204, 1996. PMID: 8833620.
- Zhenya Tang, Jun Gu, Guilin Tang, L. Jeffrey Medeiros. Quality Assurance/Quality Control of Fluorescence in Situ Hybridization Tests in Hematologic Malignancies. In: OBM Genetics. 4. Lidsen Publishing Inc: Beachwood, OH, 2018.
- Gu J, Smith JL, Dowling PK. Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization Probe Validation for Clinical Use. In: Methods Mol Biol. Springer, 101-118, 2017.