Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopedic Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2004||Mount Sinai School of Medicine of New York University, New York, NY, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1993||Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA, BA, Africana Studies|
|2011-2012||Clinical Fellowship, Orthopaedic Spine Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX|
|2010-2011||Clinical Fellowship, Musculoskeletal Oncology, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2004-2009||Clinical Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery, The Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, NY|
Director, Orthopaedic Outcomes Research Program, Department of Orthopedic Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2014 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, UT MDACC Post-Operative Pain Algorithm, 2013 - Present
Member, Global Academic Program - African Committee, 2012 - Present
Member, UT MDACC Ad Hoc Fluoroscopy Privileging Committee, 2012 - 2013
Member, UT MDACC SSAC-Rapid Transfusion Subcommittee, 2012 - 2013
Chief Consultant, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, John F. Kennedy Hospital, Monrovia, Liberia, 2009 - 2010
Locum Tenens, Corning Hospital, Corning, New York, 2009 - 2010
|2013||Apple Award for Patient Care, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2010||Commander, Order of the Star of Africa, Republic of Liberia, West Africa|
|2004||Eugene Friedman, MD Award for Clinical Excellence in Surgery|
|2003||Academic Medicine Fellow, Bristol-Meyers Squibb Academic Medicine Fellowship|
|2000||President, Student National Medical Association, Mt. Sinai Chapter|
|2000||W.B. Saunders Award for Outstanding Second Year Medical Student, W.B. Saunders|
|1999||National Medical Fellowship Scholar|
- Bird JE, Wang WL, Madewell JE, Lewis VO. Enchondroma with secondary aneurysmal bone cyst. Skeletal Radiology 41(11):1475-8, 2012. e-Pub 2012.
- Qureshi SA, Koehler SM, Lin JD, Bird JE, Garcia, RM, Hecht AC. An evaluation of information on the internet of a new device: The cervical artificial disc replacement. Spine 37(10):881-3, 2012.
- Colvin AC, Koehler SM, Bird JE. Can the change in center-edge angle during pincer trimming be reliably predicted?. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 469(4):1071-4, 2011.
- Bishop J, Lo IK, Klepps SJ, Bird JE, Gladstone J, and Flatow EL.. Cuff Integrity following arthroscopy versus open rotator cuff repair: A prospective study. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 15(3):290-9, 2006.
- Parsons BO, Klepps SJ, Miller S, Bird JE, Gladstone J, Flatow E. Reliability and reproducibility of radiographs of greater tuberosity displacement. A cadaveric study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 87(1):58-65, 2005. PMID: 15634814.
- Wallace MT, Lin PP, Bird JE, Moon BS, Satcher RL, Lewis VO. The Accuracy and Clinical Utility of Intraoperative Frozen Section Analysis in Open Biopsy of Bone. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30379758.
- Callan AK, Nalty T, Lewis VO, Bird JE. Concurrent Validity and Responsiveness for Timed Up and Go Test and 10 Meter Walk Test in Orthopaedic Oncology Patients. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research.
- Bird JE, Huo J, Giordano S, Guadagnolo, BA. A health services comparison of surgery followed by radiation therapy versus radiation therapy alone for patients with metastatic epidural spinal cord compression. Cancer.
- Bird JE. Soft Tissue Sarcoma. Orthopaedic Knowledge Update, 2013.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Bird JE, and Hecht AC. Bone biology and principles of fusion. Interactive Educational Program for Spine: San Diego, CA.
- Bird JE, Marco RA. Metastatic disease to the cervical spine. In: The Cervical Spine. 1. Elsevier, 228-234, 2015.
- Bird JE. Surgical Management of Soft-Tissue Sarcomas. In: Orthopaedic Knowledge Update: Musculoskeletal Tumors 3, 307-315, 2014.
- Bird JE, Marco RA. Anterior retroperitoneal approach to the lumbar spine. In: Surgical Anatomy and Techniques of the Spine, 2013.