Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopedic Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2004||Mount Sinai School of Medicine of New York University, New York, NY, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1993||Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, USA, BA, Africana Studies|
|2011-2012||Clinical Fellowship, Orthopaedic Spine Surgery, University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX|
|2010-2011||Clinical Fellowship, Musculoskeletal Oncology, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2004-2009||Clinical Residency, Orthopaedic Surgery, The Mount Sinai Hospital, New York, NY|
Director, Orthopaedic Outcomes Research Program, Department of Orthopedic Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2014 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, UT MDACC Post-Operative Pain Algorithm, 2013 - Present
Member, Global Academic Program - African Committee, 2012 - Present
Member, UT MDACC Ad Hoc Fluoroscopy Privileging Committee, 2012 - 2013
Member, UT MDACC SSAC-Rapid Transfusion Subcommittee, 2012 - 2013
Chief Consultant, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, John F. Kennedy Hospital, Monrovia, Liberia, 2009 - 2010
Locum Tenens, Corning Hospital, Corning, New York, 2009 - 2010
|2013||Apple Award for Patient Care, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2010||Commander, Order of the Star of Africa, Republic of Liberia, West Africa|
|2004||Eugene Friedman, MD Award for Clinical Excellence in Surgery|
|2003||Academic Medicine Fellow, Bristol-Meyers Squibb Academic Medicine Fellowship|
|2000||President, Student National Medical Association, Mt. Sinai Chapter|
|2000||W.B. Saunders Award for Outstanding Second Year Medical Student, W.B. Saunders|
|1999||National Medical Fellowship Scholar|
- Bird JE, Wang WL, Madewell JE, Lewis VO. Enchondroma with secondary aneurysmal bone cyst. Skeletal Radiology 41(11):1475-8, 2012. e-Pub 2012.
- Qureshi SA, Koehler SM, Lin JD, Bird JE, Garcia, RM, Hecht AC. An evaluation of information on the internet of a new device: The cervical artificial disc replacement. Spine 37(10):881-3, 2012.
- Colvin AC, Koehler SM, Bird JE. Can the change in center-edge angle during pincer trimming be reliably predicted?. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 469(4):1071-4, 2011.
- Bishop J, Lo IK, Klepps SJ, Bird JE, Gladstone J, and Flatow EL.. Cuff Integrity following arthroscopy versus open rotator cuff repair: A prospective study. Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 15(3):290-9, 2006.
- Parsons BO, Klepps SJ, Miller S, Bird JE, Gladstone J, Flatow E. Reliability and reproducibility of radiographs of greater tuberosity displacement. A cadaveric study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 87(1):58-65, 2005. PMID: 15634814.
- Bird JE. Soft Tissue Sarcoma. Orthopaedic Knowledge Update, 2013.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Bird JE, and Hecht AC. Bone biology and principles of fusion. Interactive Educational Program for Spine: San Diego, CA.
- Bird JE, Marco RA. Metastatic disease to the cervical spine. In: The Cervical Spine. 1. Elsevier, 228-234, 2015.
- Bird JE. Surgical Management of Soft-Tissue Sarcomas. In: Orthopaedic Knowledge Update: Musculoskeletal Tumors 3, 307-315, 2014.
- Bird JE, Marco RA. Anterior retroperitoneal approach to the lumbar spine. In: Surgical Anatomy and Techniques of the Spine, 2013.