Professor, Division of Department of Critical Care, Division of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Medical Director, Intensive Care Unit, Department of Critical Care Medicine, Division of Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine and Pain Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1993||Albany Medical College, Albany, NY, USA, MD, MD|
|1991||Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, USA, BS, Biology|
|2009-2009||Faculty Leadership Academy, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2006-2006||Clinical Safety and Effectiveness (CS&E), Session 3, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1997-1998||Fellowship, University of Texas at Houston, Houston, TX|
|1994-1997||Residency, Anesthesiology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|1993-1994||Internship in Internal Medicine, St. Joseph’s Hospital, Phoenix, AZ|
|2014||American Board of Medical Quality|
|1999||Subspecialty Certification in Critical Care|
|1999||Diplomat, American Board of Anesthesiology|
Professor, The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, TX, 2012 - Present
Associate Professor, Department of Critical Care Medicine, Division of Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine and Pain Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2005 - 2012
Medical Director, Department of Nocturnal Program, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2010 - 2020
Critical Care Midlevel Practitioners Coordinator,, UT M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2004 - 2007
Course Director, Anesthesia Critical Care Rotation -UT Health Science Center, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2014
Program Director, Critical Care Anesthesiology - Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 2007 - 2014
Program Director, Critical Care Anesthesiology - UT Health Science Center, Houston, TX, 2007 - 2014
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Executive Committee Medical Staff, 2018 - Present
Chair, Medical Quality Planning Committee, 2018 - Present
Member, Mobile Strategy Committee, 2016 - 2018
Member, Hospital Practice Committee, 2015 - 2017
Member, Emergency Department, Chair Search Committee, 2015 - 2017
Vice Chair, Medical Quality Planning Committee, 2014 - 2018
Member, Acute Care Services Leadership Committee, 2013 - Present
Member, Graduate Medical Education CLER - Care Transition Team, 2013 - Present
Member, Ad Hoc Quality Planning Committee of the Medical Staff, 2013 - 2014
Chair, CCMS, 2012 - 2015
Member, Acute & Critical Care Subcommittee, 2012 - Present
Member, Clinical Observations Committee, Education Subcommittee, 2012 - 2017
Member, Clinical Observation Services, Billing & Charge Capture Subcommittee, 2012 - 2017
Member, Executive Committee Medical Staff, 2012 - 2015
Member, ICU Operations Subcommittee, 2012 - Present
Member, Institutional Admissions Review Committee, 2011 - Present
Member, Clinical Council, 2010 - 2011
Member, 24 Hour Medical Coverage Steering Committee, 2010 - 2012
Member, Baylor Clinical Competence Committee, 2010 - 2016
Member, Physician Notification Policy Committee, 2010 - Present
Vice Chair, CCMS, 2009 - 2012
Member, OPPE Work Group, 2009 - 2015
Member, Physician Network Credentials Committee, 2009 - 2015
Member, Council of Committee Chairs, 2009 - 2015
Chair, ICU Staff Education Subcommittee, 2007 - Present
Member, Graduate Medical Education Committee, 2005 - 2016
Member, Graduate Medical Education Curriculum Subcommittee, 2005 - 2016
Member, Credentials Committee of the Medical Staff, 2005 - 2015
Member, Faculty Senate, 2004 - 2008
Member, Faculty Senate Finance Committee, 2004 - 2008
Chair, ICU End of Life Subcommittee, 2004 - 2007
|2006||Consumers' Research Council of America, Guide to America's Top Anesthesiologists|
|2006||Multi-Year Appointment Award, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center|
|2006||Co-Principal Investigator, Role of Thromboelastogram in Predicting the Probability of Venous Thromboembolism|
|2004||Collaborator, Effects of Manpower Allocation, Impact of Intensivist to Patient Ratio|
- Gonzales CE, Brito-Dellan N, Banala SR, Rubio D, Ait Aiss M, Rice TW, Chen K, Bodurka DC, Escalante CP.. Handoff Tool Enabling Standardized Transitions Between the Emergency Department and the Hospitalist Inpatient Service at a Major Cancer Center. American J Med Qual, 2018. e-Pub 2018.
- Chen K, Puana RB, Price KJ, Keller CA, Nates JL. The Role of Point-of-Care Testing in the Early Diagnosis of Pseudo-hypoxemia in Myeloproliferative Disorders. Respiratory Care 2010 55 (6):777-9, 2010.
- Hsu AR, Cai W, Veeravagu A, Mohamedali KA, Chen K, Kim S, Vogel H, Hou LC, Tse V, Rosenblum MG, Chen X. Multimodality Molecular Imaging of Glioblastoma Growth Inhibition with Vasculature-Targeting Fusion Toxin VEGF121/rGel. J Nucl Med 48:445-454, 2007. PMID: 17332623.
- Nates JL, Aravindan N, Hirsch-Ginsberg C, Sizer KC, Kee S, Nguyen AT, Chen K, Shaw AD, Price KJ. Critically ill cancer patients are not consistently hypercoagulable after craniotomy. Neurocritical Care 2007 7(3):211-216. e-Pub 2007.
- Chen K, Sternbach GL, Fromm RE, Jr, Varon J. Mechanical ventilation: past and present. J Emerg Med 16:453-60, 1998. PMID: 9610977.
- Chen K, Varon J, Wenker OC. Malignant airway obstruction: recognition and management. J Emerg Med 16:83-92, 1998. PMID: 9472765.
- Varon, J, Chen K, Marik P, et al:. Management of the critically ill asthmatic patient. Bio Medicina 1:231-235, 1998.
- Varon J, Chen K, Sternbach GL. Rupert Waterhouse and Carl Friderichsen: Adrenal Apoplexy. J Emerg Med 16:643-7, 1998. PMID: 9696186.
- Chen K, Varon J, Wenker OC, Judge DK, Fromm RE, Jr, Sternbach GL. Acute thoracic aortic dissection: the basics. J Emerg Med 15:859-67, 1997. PMID: 9404805.
- Nates JL, Rathi N, Haque S, Gaeta S, Pravinkumar E, Botz G, Chen K, Crommett JW, Calabrese D, de Villalobos D, Malik I, Price K. ICU Triage Improves Patient Flow and Resource Utilization. Chest October 2011 140(4):Meeting Abstracts 357A, 2011.
- Chen K, Burdine C, Puana R, Botz G, Nates JL. Financial Impact of ICU Point-of-Care Electronic Professional Charge Capture. Presented at Society of Critical Care Medicine 37th Meeting, 2008.
- Bruno JJ, Hernandez M, Chen K, Pravinkumar E. Influence of Corticosteroids on Cosyntropin Stimulation Test Results in Oncology Patients with Severe Sepsis or Septic Shock. Presented at Society of Critical Care medicine 37th Meeting, 2008.
- Nates JL, Chen K, Burdine C, Aravindan N, Price K. Individual Clinical Productivity in an Academic Critical Care Department. Anesthesiology A2005:A299, 2005.
- Hsu PW, Chen K, Rozner MA. Postoperative Methemoglobinemia Caused by Medicated Vaginal Packing. Presented at the Centennial Meeting of ASA, 2005.
- Nates JL, Kee S, Nguyen AT, Chen K, Aravindan N, Shaw A, Hirsh - Ginsberg C, Sizer KC, Price K. Critically Ill Patients are Not Consistently Hypercoagulable After Craniotomy. Crit Care Med; Presented at 35th Congress 33(12):A104, 2005.
- Nates JL, Burdine C, Chen K, Price K. Improved Outcomes with Higher Intensivist to Patient Ratio. CritCare Med, 2004.
- Chen K, Hsu PW. Perioperative concerns for surgery of the major abdominal organs . In: Acute Care of the Cancer Patient. 1st ed. Taylor and Francis Group, 2005.