About Dr. Schmeler
Dr. Kathleen Schmeler is an Associate Professor in the Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine. She provides surgical care and chemotherapy to women with gynecologic malignancies. Dr. Schmeler is also the Director of the MD Anderson Cancer Center and Lyndon B. Johnson (LBJ) Hospital colposcopy clinics where she treats women with pre-invasive cervical, vulvar and vaginal disease.
Her primary research interest is in cervical cancer prevention and treatment, particularly in developing countries and for medically underserved women in the United States. She is perfoming several clinical trials with MD Anderson Sister Institutions in Latin America and around the world. Dr. Schmeler has authored and co-authored numerous articles in peer-reviewed journals.
In addition, she has been invited to write book chapters and review articles on a variety of topics in gynecologic oncology. Dr. Schmeler is an active speaker, both nationally and internationally and is a reviewer for several journals.
Associate Professor, Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2000||Medical College of Pennsylvania-Hahnemann University School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1991||Clarkson University, Potsdam, NY, USA, BS, Mechanical Engineering|
|2004-2007||Fellow, Gynecologic Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2000-2004||Resident, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Women & Infants' Hospital/Brown University, Providence, RI|
|2011||American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Gynecologic Oncology Subspecialty Boards|
|2010||American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology, Obstetrics & Gynecology General Boards|
Director of Colposcopy and Pre-invasive Disease, Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2013 - Present
Director of Colposcopy, Lyndon B. Johnson Hospital, Houston, TX, 2013 - Present
Quality Officer, Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2013 - Present
Clinical Team Leader, Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2009 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, International Advisory Board, MD Anderson Global Academic Programs (GAP), 2012 - 2017
Member, Prevention, HSR, QI & Survivorship Research Program, Department of Gynecologic Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2010 - Present
Member, Innovative Surgery Research Working Group, Department of Gynecologic Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2008 - Present
|2017||Award of Merit, ASCCP|
|2017||Humanitarianism & Volunteerism Award, Society of Gynecologic Oncologists|
|2017||Excellence in Prevention Outreach Award, MDACC Board of Visitors President's Recognition for Faculty Excellence|
|2016||Heroes in Medicine Award, Physician's Weekly|
|2016||Award for Community Advancement in the Developing World, International Gynecologic Cancer Society|
|2016||Emperor Science Award Program Mentor, Emperor Science|
|2015||President's Recognition for Faculty Excellence, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2013||ACOG Mentor Award, The American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists|
|2013||Norman F. Gant/American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology Fellow, Institute of Medicine|
|2012||AAOGF Travel Award, The American Association of Obstetricians and Gynecologists|
|2010||Silver Award in Creating Improvement, Celebrating Improvement at MD Anderson|
|2005||ASCO Foundation Merit Award|
|2004||David H. Nichols Award for Excellence in Pelvic Surgery, Women & Infants' Hospital, Providence, RI|
|2004||Outstanding Laparoendoscopic Resident Award, Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons|
|2002||PGY2 Berlex Best Teaching Resident Award|
|2001||Dean's Excellence in Teaching Award, Brown University Medical School|
|1999||Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society|
- Hunt B, Fregnani JHTG, Schwarz RA, Pantano N, Tesoni S, Possati-Resende JC, Antoniazzi M, de Oliveira Fonseca B, de Macêdo Matsushita G, Scapulatempo-Neto C, Kerr L, Castle PE, Schmeler K, Richards-Kortum R. Diagnosing cervical neoplasia in rural Brazil using a mobile van equipped with in vivo microscopy: A cluster-randomized community trial. Cancer Prev Res (Phila) 11(6):359-370, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29618459.
- Hwang JP, Ahmed S, Ariza-Heredia EJ, Duan Z, Zhao H, Schmeler KM, Ramondetta L, Parker SL, Suarez-Almazor ME, Ferrajoli A, Shih YT, Giordano SH, Chiao EY. Low Rate of Cervical Cancer Screening among Women with Hematologic Malignancies after Stem Cell Transplant. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 24(5):1094-1098, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29378304.
- Taylor JS, Marten CA, Munsell MF, Sun CC, Potts KA, Burzawa JK, Nick AM, Meyer LA, Myers K, Bodurka DC, Aloia TA, Levenback CF, Lairson DR, Schmeler KM. The DISINFECT Initiative: Decreasing the Incidence of Surgical INFECTions in Gynecologic Oncology. Ann Surg Oncol 24(2):362-368, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27573526.
- Keahey P, Ramalingam P, Schmeler K, Richards-Kortum RR. Differential structured illumination microendoscopy for in vivo imaging of molecular contrast agents. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 113(39):10769-73, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27621464.
- Bhalwal AB, Nick AM, Dos Reis R, Chen CL, Munsell MF, Ramalingam P, Salcedo MP, Ramirez PT, Sood AK, Schmeler KM. Carcinoma of the Bartholin's Gland: A Review of 33 cases. Int J Gynecol Cancer 26(4):785-9, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26844611.
- Callegaro-Filho D, Gershenson DM, Nick AM, Munsell MF, Ramirez PT, Eifel PJ, Euscher ED, Marques RM, Nicolau SM, Schmeler KM. Small cell carcinoma of the ovary-hypercalcemic type (SCCOHT): A review of 47 cases. Gynecol Oncol 140(1):53-7, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26546963.
- Prescott LS, Kidin LM, Downs RL, Cleveland DJ, Wilson GL, Munsell MF, DeJesus AY, Cain KE, Ramirez PT, Kroll MH, Levenback CF, Schmeler KM . Improved compliance with venous thromboembolism (VTE) pharmacologic prophylaxis for patients with gynecologic malignancies hospitalized for nonsurgical indications did not reduce VTE incidence. Int J Gynecol Cancer 25(1):152-9, 2015. PMID: 25365592.
- Prescott LS, Aloia TA, Brown AJ, Taylor JS, Munsell MF, Sun CC, Schmeler KM, Levenback CF, Bodurka DC. Perioperative blood transfusion in gynecologic oncology surgery: Analysis of the National Surgical Quality Improvement Program Database. Gynecol Oncol 136(1):65-70, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25451693.
- Ramirez PT, Pareja R, Rendón GJ, Millan C, Frumovitz M, Schmeler KM. Management of low-risk early-stage cervical cancer: Should conizations, simple trachelectomy, or simple hysterectomy replace radical surgery as the new standard of care?. Gynecol Oncol 132(1):254-9, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24041877.
- Schmeler K, Wilson G, Cain K, Munsell M, Ramirez P, Soliman P, Nick A, Frumovitz M, Coleman R, Kroll M, Levenback C. Venous thromboembolism (VTE) rates following the implementation of extended duration prophylaxis for patients undergoing surgery for gynecologic malignancies. Gynecol Oncol 128(2):204-208, 2013. PMID: 23200912.
- Westin SN, Sun CC, Lu KH, Schmeler K, Soliman PT, Lacour RA, Johnson KG, Daniels MS, Arun BK, Peterson SK, Bodurka DC. Satisfaction with ovarian carcinoma risk-reduction strategies among women at high risk for breast and ovarian carcinoma. Cancer 117(12):2659-67, 2011. PMID: 21656744.
- Schmeler K, Sun C, Malpica A, Deavers M, Bodurka D, Gershenson D. Low-grade serous primary peritoneal carcinoma. Gynecol Oncol 121(3):482-6, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21397305.
- Schmeler K, Tao X, Frumovitz M, Deavers M, Sun C, Sood A, Brown J, Gershenson D, Ramirez P. Prevalence of lymph node metastasis in primary mucinous carcinoma of the ovary. Obstet Gynecol 116(2 Part 1):269-73, 2010. PMID: 20664385.
- Schmeler K, Daniels M, Soliman P, Broaddus R, Deavers M, Vu T, Chang G, Lu K. Primary peritoneal cancer after bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy in two patients with lynch syndrome. Obstet Gynecol 115(2 Part 2):432-4, 2010. PMID: 20093870.
- Frumovitz M, Sun C, Schmeler K, Deavers M, Dos Reis R, Levenback C, Ramirez P. Parametrial involvement in radical hysterectomy specimens for women with early-stage cervical cancer. Obstet Gynecol 114(1):93-9, 2009. PMID: 19546764.
- Schmeler K, Sun C, Bodurka D, White K, Soliman P, Uyei A, Erlichman J, Arun B, Daniels M, Rimes S, Peterson S, Slomovitz A, Slomovitz B, Milam M, Gershenson D, Lu K. Prophylactic bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy compared with surveillance in women with BRCA mutations. Obstet Gynecol 108(3, Part 1):515-20, 2006. PMID: 16946209.
- Schmeler K, Lynch H, Chen L, Munsell M, Soliman P, Clark M, Daniels M, White K, Boyd-Rogers S, Conrad P, Yang K, Rubin M, Sun C, Slomovitz B, Gershenson D, Lu K. Prophylactic surgery to reduce the risk of gynecologic cancers in the lynch syndrome. N Eng J Med 354(3):261-9, 2006. PMID: 16421367.
- Schmeler K, Frumovitz M, Ramirez P. Conservative management of early stage cervical cancer: is there a role for less radical surgery?. Gynecol Oncol 120(3):321-5, 2011. PMID: 21320670.
- Lopez MS, Baker ES, Milbourne AM, Gowen RM, Rodriguez AM, Lorenzoni C, Mwaba C, Msadabwe SC, Tavares JH, Fontes-Cintra G, Zucca-Matthes G, Callegaro-Filho D, Ramos-Martin D, Thiago de Carvalho I, Coelho R, Marques RM, Chulam T, Pontremoli-Salcedo M, Nozar F, Fiol V, Maza M, Arora S, Hawk ET, Schmeler KM Project ECHO: A telementoring program for cervical cancer prevention and treatment in low-resource settings. J Glob Oncol 3(5):658-665, 2017. PMID: 29094102.