Professor, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, Division of Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine and Pain Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1982||University of Cape Town Medical School, Cape Town, ZAF, MBChB, Medicine/Surgery|
|1988-1991||Anesthesiology Residency, Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Bronx, NY|
|1985-1988||Pediatric Internship and Resident, Schneider Children's Hospital, Long Island Jewish Medical Center, New Hyde Park, NY|
|1992||American Board of Anesthesiology, Diplomate|
|1989||American Board of Pediatrics|
UT System Office of Health Affairs Professionalism Scholar, University of Texas Medical Branch School of Medicine, Houston, TX, 2012 - 2016
Member, American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Physician Wellness Committee on Occupational Health, Park Ridge, IL, 2012 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Pregnancy Testing Policy Workgroup Committee, 2011 - 2012
Member, EMR Order Sets Resolution Team Meeting, 2011 - 2013
Member, Electronic Protocol Accrual Auditing Committee (ePAAC), 2011 - 2013
Chairman, Psychosocial, Behavioral, and Health Services Research Committee (PBHSRC), 2010 - 2012
Member, Clinical Faculty Review Committee (CFRC), 2009 - 2012
Department Representative, Credentials Committee of the Medical Staff (CCMS), 2008 - 2011
Member, Psychosocial, Behavioral, and Health Services Research Committee (PBHSRC), 2007 - 2010
Member, Faculty Health Committee, 2007 - Present
- Frenkel M, Sapire JK, Lacey J, Zollman Catherine, Sierpina VS. What Should I Eat? Addressing Questions and Challenges Related to Nutrition in the Integrative Oncology Setting. Current Oncology Reports, 2022. PMID: 35788876.
- Frenkel M, Sapire JK. Complementary and Integrative Medicine in Hematologic Malignancies: Questions and Challenges. Curr Oncol Rep 19(79), 2017.
- Frenkel M, Engebretson JC, Gross S, Peterson NE, Giveon AP, Sapire JK, Hermoni D. Exceptional Patients and Communication in Cancer Care - Are We Missing Another Survival Factor?. Supportive Care in Cancer 24(10):4249-4255, 2016.
- Li Y, Adamek P, Zhang H, Tatsui CE, Rhines LD, Mrozkova P, Li Q, Kosturakis AK, Cassidy RM, Harrison DS, Cata JP, Sapire JK, Zhang H, Kennamer-Chapman RM, Jawad AB, Ghetti A, Yan J, Paleck J, Dougherty PM. The Cancer Chemotherapeutic Paclitaxel Increases Human and Rodent Sensory Neuron Responses to TRPV1 by Activation of TLR4. The Journal of Neuroscience, 2015.
- Holden MD, Buck E, Luk J, Ambriz F, Boisaubin EV, Clark MA, Mihalic AP, Sadler JZ, Sapire KJ, Spike JP, Vince A, Dalrymple JL. Professional Identity Formation: Creating a Longitudinal Framework Through TIME(Transformation in Medical Education). Acad Med 90(6):761-7, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25853688.
- Frenkel M, Gross S, Giveon AP, Sapire KJ, Hermoni D. Living Outliers: Experiences, Insights and Narratives of Exceptional Survival of Incurable Cancer. Future Oncology 11(12):1741-1749, 2015.
- Frenkel M, Sierpina V, Sapire KJ. Effects of Complementary and Integrative Medicine on Cancer Survivorship. Curr Oncol Rep 17(5):445, 2015. PMID: 25749658.
- The Postoperative Visual Loss Study Group. Risk Factors Associated with Ischemic Optic Neuropathy after Spinal Fusion Surgery. Anesthesiology 116(1):15-24, 2012.
- Sapire KJ, Frenkel M. Physician Discussion Group: A way to explore Meaning in Medicine Addressing Physicians Needs in a Cancer Center. Journal of the Society for Integrative Oncology 6(4):179, 2008.
- Ferson D, Thakar D, Swafford J, Sinha A, Sapire KJ, Arens J. Use of Deep Intravenous Sedation with Propofol and the Laryngeal Mask Airway during Transesophageal Echocardiography. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 17(4):443-6, 2003. PMID: 12968230.
- Jones JW, Schmidt SE, Richman BW, Miller CC, Sapire KJ, Burkhoff D, Baldwin JC. Holmium:YAG Laser Transmyocardial Revascularization Relieves Angina and Improves Functional Status. Ann Thorac Surg 67(6):1596-1601; discussion 1601-2, 1999. PMID: 10391261.
- Sapire KJ, Gopinath SP, Farhat G, Thakar DR, Gabrielli A, Jones JW, Robertson CS, Chance B. Cerebral Oxygenation during Warming After Cardiopulmonary Bypass. Crit Care Med 25(10):1655-1662, 1997. PMID: 9377879.
- Lee LA, Sapire JK. Risk Factors for Ischemic Optic Neuropathy After Spinal Fusion Surgery. ASA Abstracts, The Postoperative Visual Loss Study Group, University of Washington(LBC03), 2011.
- Rebello R, Cowles CE, Kee S, Hernandez M, Sapire KJ. Evaluation and Implementation of an Automated Medication Dispensing System into Anesthesia Worksites at a Large University Hospital. Final Supplement to Anesthesia & Analgesia 110(3):S-152, 2010.
- Sapire KJ, Wang S, Ensor J, Frenzel J, Ruiz, J. A Comparative Analysis of PONV Risk Factors (RF) Between Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (ESS) and Transphenoidal Hypophysectomy (TH). Postgraduate Assembly in Anesthesiology (PGA) 62, New York, NY, 2008.
- Frenzel JC, Sapire KJ, Kee SS, Owen M, Ruiz, JR. Creation of a Focused Data Application to Track the Incidence of PONV in a University Practice. ASA Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida CD, 2008.
- Frenzel JC, Sapire KJ, Shook KA, Ruiz JR, Kee SS. Adoption of Digital Documentation for Perioperative Notes in an Academic Practice. ASA Annual Meeting, Orlando, Florida CD, 2008.
- Darouiche R, Raad I, Wall M, Gabrielli A, Huaringa A, Price K, Dupuis J, Sapire KJ. Antimicrobial Efficacy, Durability and Safety of Central Venous Catheters Coated with Minocycline and Rifampin. Critical Care Medicine 290, 1996.
- Gabrielli A, Ueyama K, Sapire KJ, Nahas C, Jones JW. Extravascular Lung Water (EVLW) in Coronary Artery Bypass Graft (CABG) Patients Estimated by Thoracic Electrical Bioimpedance (ZO). Anesth Analg 82:SCA72, 1996.
- Gopinath S, Sapire KJ, Farhat G, Robertson C. Intraoperative Non-invasive Monitoring of Cerebral Oxygen Saturation by Near-Infrared Spectroscopy during Moderate Hypothermic Cardiopulmonary Bypass. Critical Care Medicine 290, 1996.
- Sapire KJ, Gopinath SP, Thakar D, Gabrielli A, Robertson CS. Continuous Monitoring of Jugular Venous Catheter Oxygen Saturation is Accurate During Cardiac Surgery. Anesth Analg 82:SCA67, 1996.
- LaFuente JA, Ueyama K, Jones JW, Sapire KJ. Accuracy of Extra-Cranial Temperature Probes During Deep Hypothermia. Abstract Book, 11th World Congress of Anesthesiologists:P144, 1996.
- Sapire KJ, Gopinath SP, Farhat GA, Robertson CS. Hypotension During Rewarming on Cardiopulmonary Bypass Contributes to Cerebral Ischemia. Abstract Book,11th World Congress of Anesthesiologists D98, 1996.
- Duffy JD, Sapire KJ, Chaoul, MA. Health Care Professional Stress. In: MD Anderson Manual of Psycho-Social Oncology, Section VIII, Health Care Professional Well-being. 1st Edition. McGraw-Hill Professional: Illinois, 351-364, 2010.
- Sapire KJ, Tummala S. Monitoring and Positioning of the Neurosurgical Patient. In: NeuRecipes, The MD Anderson Cancer Center Guide to Anesthesia for Neurosurgical Cases. AuthorHouse: Bloomington, IN, 25-37, 2008.
- Jones JW, Schmidt SE, Richman BW, Itani KM, , Sapire KJ, Reardon MJ. Surgical Myocardial Revascularization. In: The Surgical Clinics of North America, Cardiothoracic and Vascular Surgery. WB Saunders, 705-727, 1998.
Letters to the Editor
- Ferson D, Thakar D, Swafford J, Sinha A, Sapire KJ, Arens J. Response to "Combined TEE and LMA Technique". J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 18: 395 - 396, 2004.