About Dr. Madden
Dr. Kevin Madden is a Palliative Care physician at MD Anderson Cancer Center, where he specializes in Pediatric Palliative and Hospice Medicine.
Dr. Madden's research interests include the treatment of pain in children with cancer, the safe use and storage of opioids, and is a nationally recognized expert on the use of methadone in children. He has presented his research at international and national medical conferences.
Dr. Madden is the past chair of the Pediatrics Special Interest Group within the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, the largest professional organization for physicians specializing in hospice and palliative medicine. For his research and leadership accomplishments, Dr. Madden was recognized as an Emerging Leader in Hospice and Palliative Medicine by the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine in 2019, only one of forty to receive such an award.
Present Title & Affiliation
Associate Professor, Department of Palliative Care and Rehabilitation Medicine, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Professor, Department of Pediatrics Patient Care, Division of Pediatrics, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Education & Training
|2000||Rutgers New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ, USA, MD, Doctor of Medicine|
|1995||Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA, BA, Bachelor of Arts in Human Biology - "Human Evolutionary Genetics"|
|2013-2014||Clinical Fellowship, Pediatric Palliative and Hospice Medicine, Harvard Medical School Center for Palliative Care - Boston Children's Hospital/Dana Farber Cancer, Boston, MA|
|2007-2010||Clinical Fellowship, Pediatric Critical Care Medicine, Children's Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA|
|2001-2003||Clinical Residency, Pediatric Residency, Children's Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA|
|2000-2001||Clinical Internship, Pediatric Internship, Children's Hospital Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA|
|2015||American Board of Pediatrics - Sub-Board of Hospice and Palliative Care Medicine|
|2012||American Board of Pediatrics - Pediatric Critical Care Medicine|
|2003||American Board of Pediatrics - General Pediatrics|
Experience & Service
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, MD Anderson Services for Parents with Cancer Advisory Committee, 2020 - Present
Member, MD Anderson Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee, 2019 - Present
Member, MD Anderson End of Life Subcommittee of the Operational Priority Care Planning Committee, 2019 - Present
Member, MD Anderson CPR Subcommittee, 2018 - Present
Member, MD Anderson Pain Task Force Committee, 2018 - Present
Member, Department of Palliative Medicine Clinical Competency Committee, 2015 - Present
Member, Updates in Palliative Medicine and Intensive Board Review Planning Committee, 2014 - Present
Member, Annual Interdisciplinary Conference on Supportive Care, Hospice and Palliative Medicine Conference Planning Committee, 2014 - Present
Member, Division of Pediatrics Supportive Care Council, 2014 - Present
Member, Department of Palliative Medicine Fellow Selection Committee, 2014 - Present
- Placencia J, Madden K. Pediatric Palliative Care Pharmacy Pearls-A Focus on Pain and Sedation. Children (Basel) 8(10), 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34682167.
- Madden K, Reddy A, De La Cruz M, Chen M, Bruera E. Patterns of Storage, Use, and Disposal of Prescription Opioids by Young Adults with Cancer. J Adolesc Young Adult Oncol 10(2):234-239, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32758046.
- Madden K, Haider A, Rozman De Moraes A, Naqvi SM, Enriquez PA, Wu J, Williams J, Liu D, Bruera E. Frequency of Concomitant Use of Gabapentinoids and Opioids Among Patients with Cancer-Related Pain at an Outpatient Palliative Care Clinic. J Palliat Med 24(1):91-96, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32486874.
- Madden K, Tanco K, Bruera E. Clinically Significant Drug-Drug Interaction Between Methadone and Cannabidiol. Pediatrics 145(6), 2020. PMID: 32444381.
- Madden K, Reddy AS, De La Cruz MJ, Liu DD, Bruera E. Patterns of Storage, Use, and Disposal of Prescription Opioids by Parents of Children with Cancer. J Pain Symptom Manage 59(2):320-326, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31562890.
- Itzep, N, Harrison D, Greene J, McCollom NE, Madden K, Razvi S, Moody K.. Virtual Family Meetings: A Novel Pediatric Palliative Care Teaching and Communication. Archives of Palliative Care and Medicine 3(1), 2020.
- Madden K, Jo E, Williams JL, Liu D, Bruera E. Corrected QT Interval Prolongation in Pediatric and Young Adult Patients on Methadone for Cancer-Related Pain. J Pain Symptom Manage 58(4):678-684, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31195079.
- Madden K, Magno Charone M, Mills S, Dibaj S, Williams JL, Liu D, Bruera E. Systematic Symptom Reporting by Pediatric Palliative Care Patients with Cancer: A Preliminary Report. J Palliat Med 22(8):894-901, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30759031.
- Madden K, Liu D, Bruera E. Attitudes, beliefs, and practices of pediatric palliative care physicians regarding the use of methadone in children with advanced cancer. J Pain Symptom Manage 57(2):260-265, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30447383.
- Madden K, Park M, Liu D, Bruera E. Practices, Attitudes, and Beliefs of Palliative Care Physicians Regarding the Use of Methadone and Other Long-Acting Opioids in Children with Advanced Cancer. J Palliat Med 21(10):1408-1413, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29893627.
- Madden K, Mills S, Dibaj S, Williams JL, Liu D, Bruera E. Methadone as the Initial Long-Acting Opioid in Children with Advanced Cancer. J Palliat Med 21(9):1317-1321, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29664690.
- Lopez G, Liu W, Madden K, Fellman B, Li Y, Bruera E. Adolescent-young adults (AYA) with cancer seeking integrative oncology consultations: demographics, characteristics, and self-reported outcomes. Support Care Cancer 26(4):1161-1167, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29082436.
- Madden K, Bruera E. Very-Low-Dose Methadone To Treat Refractory Neuropathic Pain in Children with Cancer. J Palliat Med 20(11):1280-1283, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28609177.
- Madden K, Park M, Liu D, Bruera E. The frequency of QTc prolongation among pediatric and young adult patients receiving methadone for cancer pain. Pediatr Blood Cancer 64(11), 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28449209.
- Madden K, Turkel S, Jacobson J, Epstein D, Moromisato DY. Recurrent delirium after surgery for congenital heart disease in an infant. Pediatr Crit Care Med 12(6):e413-5, 2011. PMID: 21336229.
- Madden K, Wolfe J, Collura C. Pediatric palliative care in the intensive care unit. Crit Care Nurs Clin North Am 3(3):341-354, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26333755.
- Madden K, Khemani RG, Newth CJL. Paediatric applied respiratory physiology - the essentials. Paediatrics and Child Health 19(6):249-256, 2009.
- Madden K.. Do Older and Younger Patients Derive Similar Survival Benefits from Novel Oncology Drugs?. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 57(4):861-867, 2019.
- Madden K.. How Do Mothers and Fathers Experience Stress Related to Pediatric Critical Care. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 57(1):176-182, 2018.
- Madden K.. Child and Adolescent Self-Report Symptom Measurement in Pediatric Oncology Research. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 55(2):541-547, 2017.
- Madden K.. Parent and Physician Perspectives in Pediatric Oncology. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 53(4):814-819, 2017.
- Madden K.. Parental Physical Proximity in End-of-Life Care in the PICU. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 52(6):920-926, 2016.
- Madden K.. Parent-Reported Medication Errors. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management 52(1):154-160, 2016.
- Haider A, Ahzar A, Madden K. Chapter 144-1: Palliative Care in Critically Ill Cancer Patients. In: Oncologic Critical Care. Springer Nature, 2019.
- Madden K. Pediatric Palliative Care. In: Hospice and Palliative Medicine and Supportive Care: Flashcards and Handbook, 523-536, 2018.
- Madden K, Goldstein R. Chapter 12: Pediatric Pain and Symptom Management. In: Berkowitz's Pediatrics: A Primary Care Approach. 6th, 2018.
- Madden K, Moore J, Zweidler-McKay P. Ethical issues for children with cancer. In: Ethical Challenges in Oncology: Patient Care, Research, Education and Economics, 59-84, 2017.
- Madden K, Zhukovsky DS. Palliative care in pediatrics. In: The MD Anderson Supportive and Palliative Care Handbook. UT Printing and Media Services, 109-114, 2015.
- Madden K. Chapter 52 - Pediatric Palliative Care: Principles and Practice. In: Berkowitz's Pediatrics: A Primary Care Approach. 5th. American Academy of Pediatrics: United States of America, 1013, 2014.