Kevin W McEnery, M.D.
Department of Musculoskeletal Imaging, Division of Diagnostic Imaging
About Dr. McEnery
Kevin W. McEnery, M.D. is the Director of Innovation in Imaging Informatics and a Professor of Radiology at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. He graduated from the College of Holy Cross in Worcester, MA an attended Georgetown University School of Medicine in Washington, DC. He completed radiology residency at Brown University. At the Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology at Washington University in St. Louis, he completed a fellowship in Musculoskeletal Radiology and joined the faculty as an Assistant Professor. In 1996, he was named Section Chief for Musculoskeletal Radiology at the University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center.
As Director of Innovation in Imaging Informatics, Dr. McEnery collaborates with industry partners as well as internal stakeholders to optimize and improve informatics support of the Diagnostic Imaging enterprise. In the MD Anderson transition to Epic, he serves in the role of Physician Builder to collaborate in the system build and optimization activities to occur after system deployment.
Present Title & Affiliation
Director, Innovation in Imaging Informatics, Department of Musculoskeletal Imaging, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, TX
Informatics applications in support of Value-based transition of diagnostic imaging.
Predicative Analytics in support of Diagnostic Imaging operations including schedule optimization, staffing models and interpretation.
Informatics support of patient safety initiatives.
Optimization of imaging workflow and interpretation through EMR clinical data integration and enhanced models of imaging reporting.
Enhancement of clinical outcomes and care efficient through utilization of alternative models of interpretation and imaging data display.
Imaging of musculoskeletal system with emphasis on the detection, assessments and outcomes of patients with sarcoma.
Optimization of imaging reporting to enable improved patient outcomes and clinician efficiency.
Education & Training
|1986||Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1980||College of the Holy Cross, Worcester, MA, USA, BA|
|2005-2006||Clinical Safety and Effectiveness Training Program, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2003-2004||Faculty Leadership, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1999-2000||Executive Excellence Program, The University of Texas at Austin, Graduate School of Business Administration, Austin, TX|
|1991-1992||Fellowship, Musculoskeletal Radiology, Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University, St. Louis, MO|
|1987-1991||Radiology Residency, Rhode Island Hospital/Brown University, Providence, RI|
|1986-1987||Radiology Internship, Miriam Hospital/Brown University, Providence, RI|
|1991||American Board of Radiology|
Experience & Service
Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2006 - 2019
Member, Texas Medical Center CIO/CMIO Council, Houston, TX, 2011 - 2012
Member, BlackBerry Healthcare Customer Advisory Council, Orlando, FL, 2009 - 2011
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Patient Safety Committee, 2004 - 2013
Member, Clinical Care and Operations Information Systems Steering Committee, 2004 - Present
Member, Research and Education Information Systems Steering Team, 2004 - 2012
Member, MD Anderson Physician Network Board of Directors, 2004 - Present
Honors & Awards
|2006||Top 25 Innovators in Health Imaging & Information Technology, Health Imaging & Information Technology Magazine|
|2005||Third Place Award for Poster Session, "Importation of CD-based Image Studies into PACS: Initial Experience", Society for Computer Applications in Radiology|
|2002||The 2002 National Association of State Chief Information Officers Recognition Award, Innovative Use of Technology, Nomination made by Bill Gates, Chairman and Chief Software Architect of Microsoft, National Association of State Chief Information Officers Computer World Honors Laureate - Medicine|
- Haygood TM, Malhotra K, Ng C, Chasen B, McEnery KW, Chasen M. Migration of central lines from the superior vena cava to the azygous vein. Clinic Radiollogy 67(1):49-54, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22070939.
- Gupta S, Patel J, McEnery KW, Wallace MJ, Ahrar K, Suitor C, Hicks ME. Early experience using an online reporting system for interventional radiology procedure-related complications integrated with a digital dictation system. Journal of Digital Imaging 24(4):672-9, 2011. PMID: 20717701.
- Costelloe CM, Murphy WA, Haygood TM, Kumar R, McEnery KW, Stafford RJ, Roy A, Bassett RL, Harrell RK, Madewell JE. Comparison of half-dose and full-dose gadolinium MR contrast on the enhancement of bone and soft tissue tumors. Skeletal Radiology 40(3):327-33, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20862469.
- Tamm EP, Thompson S, Venable SL, McEnery KW. Impact of multislice CT on PACS resources. Journal of Digital Imaging(15 Suppl 1):96-101, 2002. PMID: 12105705.
- McEnery KW, Suitor CT, Hildebrand S, Downs RL. Radiologist's clinical information review workstation interfaced with digital dictation system. Journal of Digital Imaging 13(2 Suppl 1):45-8, 2000. PMID: 10847361.
- Andriano KP, Chandrashekar B, McEnery KW, Dunn RL, Moyer K, Balliu CM, Holland KM, Garrett S, Huffer WE. Preliminary in vivo studies on the osteogenic potential of bone morphogenetic proteins delivered from an absorbable puttylike polymer matrix. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research 53(1):36-43, 2000. PMID: 10634950.
- McEnery KW, Suitor CT, Hildebrand S, Downs R. RadStation: client-based digital dictation system and integrated clinical information display with an embedded Web-browser. Proc AMIA Symp:561-4, 2000. PMID: 11079946.
- McEnery KW, Suitor CT, Hildebrand S, Downs RL. Integration of radiologist peer review into clinical review workstation. Journal of Digital Imaging 13(2 Suppl 1):101-4, 2000. PMID: 10847374.
- McEnery KW, Raymond AK. Giant cell tumor of the fourth metacarpal. American Journal of Roentgenology 172(4):1092, 1999. PMID: 10587153.
- Slone RM, McEnery KW, Bridwell KH, Montgomery WJ. Principles and imaging of spinal instrumentation. Radiologic Clinics of North America 33(2):189-211, 1995. PMID: 7871166.
- McEnery KW Quoted in For the Record. Moving Toward Interoperability By David Yeager 23(4):8, 2011.
- McEnery KW Quoted in CMIO. How Much Is Too Much? Tracking Radiation Dose through an EMR by Michael Basset 2(1):12, 2010.
- McEnery KW Quoted in Diagnostic Imaging. Hurricanes Test Radiology's Disaster Preparedness by Cynthia Keen:30-38, 2005.
- McEnery KW Quoted in Health Data Management. Melding PACS and Electronic Records by Bill Briggs 13:11:28-36, 2005.
- McEnery KW Quoted in National Cancer Institute, NCI Cancer Bulletin. Moving Health Records into the Electronic Age 2:3-6, 2005.
- McEnery KW. Meaningful Use in Radiology: Potential for Clinical Transformation. Chief Medical Informatics Officer 3(11):24, 2011.
- Garg N, Kamel P, Sadruddin S, Herskovic J, Vining DJ, McEnery KW.. Compression of Radiology Reports Using a Semi-static Dictionary and Directed Pseudoforest. Proceedings book of the 99th annual meeting of Radiological Society of North America:139, 2013.
- Sabit S, Patel J, Nguyen TT, Wallace MJ, Suitor C, McEnery KW, Hicks ME, Gupta S.. Use of Mandatory Complication Entry System Integrated into the Radiology Dictation System for Monitoring Effects of Quality Improvement Initiatives. Proceedings book of the 99th annual meeting of Radiological Society of North America:334, 2013.
- McEnery KW. Using Quality Metrics to Drive Change and Improve Quality Across the Enterprise. Proceedings book of the 99th annual meeting of Radiological Society of North America:104, 2013.
- McEnery, Rile RE, Steele JR. Comparison of Error Detection Rates in Mandatory vs. Voluntary Professional Peer Review. Proceedings book of the 99th annual meeting of Radiological Society of North America:422, 2013.
- McEnery KW, Shepard SJ; Venable S; Patel JJ. Suitor CT. Analysis of Outside Image Submission to PACS. Society for Imaging Informatics in Medicine Annual Meeting:76, 2010.
- Malhotra K, Haygood T, Ng C, Chasen B, McEnery KW, Chasen M. Secondary displacement of long term central venous catheters into the azygous arch. Proceedings of Radiologic Society of North America 95th Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting, 2009.
- McEnery KW, Patel JJ, Suitor CS. Automated Radiologist Worklist Generation with Patient Status and Schedule Prioritization. Society for Imaging Informatics in Medicine Annual Meeting, 2006.
- McEnery KW, Patel JJ, Suitor CS. Enabling “Just in Time” and Multidisciplinary Interpretation with Intelligent Interpretation Worklists. adiological Society of North America Annual Meeting, 2005.
- McEnery KW, Downs RL, Suitor CT, Hildebrand S. Analysis of Radiologist's Interpretation Efficiency with Integrated Access to Clinical Information. Radiology 221(P):372, 2001.
- McEnery KW. Evaluation: Diagnostic Imaging. In: Advanced Therapy in Surgical Oncology. BC Decker Inc: Hamilton, 656-64, 2008.
- McEnery KW. Imaging of Primary Bone and Soft-Tissue Sarcomas. In: Atlas of Cancer. Second. Springer: New York, 374-8, 2008.
- McEnery KW. Imaging of primary bone and soft-tissue tumors. In: Atlas of Cancer, Current Medicine. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 340-4, 2002.
- Fisher AJ, Gilula LA, McEnery KW. Radiology of the diabetic foot. In: The Diabetic Foot. Mosby, 2000.
Grant & Contract Support
|Title:||Oncologic Imaging Symposium Utilizing Scalable Strategy|
|Funding Source:||RSNA World Wide Web-Based Educational Program Grant|
|Title:||Interventional Radiology Patient Radiation Dose Passport|
|Funding Source:||Society of Interventional Radiology Foundation|