Professor, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, Division of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Medical Director, Acute Pain Service, Division of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1991||Bombay University, Bombay, IND, MBBS, MBBS is MD equivalent|
|2013-2014||Healthcare Administration, Healthcare Administration, Jones Business School, Rice University, Houston, TX|
|1996-2000||Clinical Residency, Anesthesiology, The University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX|
|1994-1995||Senior House Officer, Internal Medicine, Old Church Hospital, Essex|
|1992-1994||Senior House Officer, Internal Medicine, Hereford County Hospital, Hereford|
|1992-1992||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham|
|1991-1992||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine and Nephrology, Northwick Park Hospital, London|
|2001||American Board of Anesthesiology|
|1995||Ireland, MRCP (Internal Medicine Specialty Boards)|
Associate Professor, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, Division of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2015
Assistant Professor, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, Division of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2002 - 2008
Clinical Safety and Effectiveness Course Participant, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2004 - 2005
Medical Director, Sedation Service, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2001 - 2002
Faculty, Post-Operative Pain Service, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2000 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Institutional Ketamine PACT Committee, 2015 - 2018
Lead Member, ERAS Spine Committee, 2014 - Present
Committee member, Clinical Research Committee, 2014 - 2018
Member, Enhanced Recovery After Surgery (ERAS), 2013 - Present
Principal Member, Lead Collaborator to Create Postoperative Pain Algorithm, 2012 - 2018
Representative, Faculty Senate, 2011 - Present
Representative, Faculty Senate, 2005 - 2009
|2000||Robert Dripps Award for Excellence In The Practice Of Anesthesia, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center|
- Tatsui CE, Lee SH, Amini B, Rao G, Suki D, Oro M, Brown PD, Ghia AJ, Bhavsar S, Popat K, Rhines LD, Stafford RJ, Li J. Spinal Laser Interstitial Thermal Therapy: A Novel Alternative to Surgery for Metastatic Epidural Spinal Cord Compression. Neurosurgery 79 Suppl 1:S73-S82, 2016. PMID: 27861327.
- Hagan KB, Bhavsar S, Raza SM, Arnold B, Arunkumar R, Dang A, Gottumukkala V, Popat K, Pratt G, Rahlfs T, Cata JP. Enhanced recovery after surgery for oncological craniotomies. J Clin Neurosci 24:10-6, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26474504.
- Fagundes CP, Shi Q, Vaporciyan AA, Rice DC, Popat KU, Cleeland CS, Wang XS. Symptom recovery after thoracic surgery: Measuring patient-reported outcomes with the MD Anderson Symptom Inventory. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 150(3):613-9.e2, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26088408.
- Daley MD, Norman PH, Leak JA, Nguyen DT, Bui TP, Kowalski AM, Srejic U, Popat K, Arens JF, Gershenwald JE, Hunt KK, Kuerer HM. Adverse Events Associated With The Intraoperative Injection Of Isosulfan Blue. J Clin Anesth 16(5):332-41, 2004. PMID: 15374553.
- Shi Q, Wang XS, Vaporciyan AA, Rice DC, Popat KU, Cleeland CS. Patient-Reported Symptom Interference as a Measure of Postsurgery Functional Recovery in Lung Cancer. J Pain Symptom Manage. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27521528.
- Nguyen AT, Popat KU. Airway Management Devices and Approaches. Advances in Anesthesia Volume 25, 2007.
- Popat KU, Purugannan R, Malik I. Off-Label Uses of Dexmedetimidine. Advances in Anesthesia, 2006.
- Popat KU. "Global burden of Cancer" Best Practice & Research. Clinical Anaesthesiology 4(10.010):399-408. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24267547.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Popat KU. Nursing Educator CheckOff List to Train Nurses to Assess Patients with Epidurals. The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center: Houston, TX, 2012.
- Popat KU. Anesthesia Patient Guide. The University of Houston MD Anderson Cancer Center: Houston, TX, 2004.
- Popat K Case Report. Perioperative challenges of spine surgery on a morbidly obese patient, 2015.
- Cata JP, Hagan K, Popat K, Prat G, Lewis V Can perioperative multimodal analgesia in orthopaedic oncological surgery modify patients' survival?. World Journal of Orthopedics, 2015.
- Popat KU, Nguyen AT, Kowalski AM, Daley MD, Arens JF, Thakar D Postoperative Paraplegia after Nonvascular Thoracic Surgery. The Internet Journal of Anesthesiology 8(1), 2004.
- Popat KU Commentary On: Sentinel Node Mapping Affects Intraoperative Pulse Oximetric Recordings During Breast Cancer Surgery. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 14, 2002.
- Popat KU Commentary On: Effects of Clonidine on Postoperative Nausea and Vomiting in Breast Cancer Surgery. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 14, 2002.
- Popat K Using TDABC to assess cost of epidural pain management and to model change. Manuscript in preparation.
- Soliz J, Hancher-Hodges S, Speer B, Lipski I, Su J, Chiang J, Popat K. A retrospective review comparing epidural analgesia to transverse abdominis plane block with liposomal bupivacaine for intra-abdominal cancer surgery. International Anesthesia Research Society 2017 Annual Meeting and Science Symposium, 2017.
- Hancher-Hodges S, Popat K, Lipski I, Speer B, Soliz J. Postdural Puncture Headache - More than just pain?. 70th Post Graduate Assembly in Anesthesiology, 2016.
- Su J, Soliz J, Hancher-Hodges S, Popat K. Epidural catheter migration rates and risk factors in acute postoperative pain patients: a review of 18,837 cases over 10 year period. 70th Post Graduate Assembly in Anesthesiology, 2016.
- Popat K, Ferson D, Galle B, Grasu R, Sanchez G, Tatsui C, Rhines L.. Positioning and Anesthesia Challenges In a Morbidly Obese Patient Undergoing Cervical Spine Surgery. Anesthesiology Open Journal 1(1):15-18, 2016.
- Xin SW, Qiuling S, Rice D, Vaporciyan A, Popat K, Cleeland C. Using Patient-reported outcomes to measure functional recovery after thoracic surgery. ERAS15-1093, World Congress of Enhanced Recovery after Surgery and Perioperative Medicine, 2015.
- Hancher S, Soliz J, Speer B, Popat K, Lasala J, Vauthey N, Aloia T. Prognostic factor for increased length of stay after hepatic cancer surgery. PGA 2015, 2015.
- Popat KU, Kowalski AM, Norman PH. Does Perioperative Rofecoxib Decrease the Chances of Developing Post-thoracotomy Pain Syndrome?. ASA Annual Meeting, 2005.
- Daley MD, Norman PH, Leak JA, Bui T, Nguyen D, Hogervorst S, Srejic U, Kowalski AM, Popat KU, Kuerer H. Isosulfan Blue for Intraoperative Lymph Node Mapping and Sentinnel Lymph Node Biopsy: Effects on Pulse Oximetry . Canadian Journal of Anesthesia 49:A97, 2002.
- Popat KU. 5 Minute Anesthesia Consult. In: Multiple Myeloma, 2012.
- Popat KU. 5 Minute Anesthesia Consult. In: Anesthesia and Polycythemia, 2011.
- Kowalski A, Popat KU, Daley MD, Norman PH. Peri-Operative Pain in Cancer Patients (submitted). In: Perioperative Cancer Medicine: Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Control in Cancer Patients, 2000.