About Koji Sasaki
Dr. Koji Sasaki has the expertise, training, expertise and motivation necessary to successfully carry out the proposed research project. He has a broad background in hematology, with extensive training and expertise in hematologic malignancy during fellowship in Japan and the United States as well as statistical data analysis including deep learning and artificial intelligence (AI) during his PhD graduate training. During high school in Japan, Dr. Sasaki learned graduate level of mathematics including partial differential equations and matrix data calculations. His interest has been in the creation of mathematical model to assist decision-making for physicians and patients. During the medical school at Tokyo Medical and Dental University and early my career, Dr. Sasaki focused on learning medicine and hematology to be a well-established physician in this field, and decided to pursue further career in the U.S after the successful completion of Japanese medicine and hematology fellowship. During the fellowship at MD Anderson Cancer Center, he experienced the cutting-edge of therapeutic interventions and the graduate school training deepened his understanding and knowledge of mathematics and statistics. This lead to successful publications at high-impact journals, and helps colleagues with complex statistical analysis. Dr. Sasaki's long term research interests involve the development of AI for the best treatment option among appropriate therapeutic interventions under supervision of board-certified physicians. He has built a prototype of AI with neural network analysis for patients with chronic myeloid leukemia in chronic phase (CML-CP) for the best treatment decision. The abstract was accepted as oral presentation at the Annual Meeting of American Society of Hematology in 2016. The wide applicability of AI approach with enthusiastic commitment from Department of Bioinformatics at MD Anderson Cancer Center, in addition to Department of Leukemia, will ensure the success of the development of AI for this purpose, and allow for the future broad application of the AI project to acute myeloid leukemia and other hematologic malignancies.
Assistant Professor, Department of Leukemia, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2018||Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, JPN, PHD, Medicine|
|2006||Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo, JPN, MD, Medicine|
|2016-2017||Clinical Fellowship, Hematology/Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2015-2016||Clinical Fellowship, Stem Cell Transplantation and Cellular Therapy, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2013-2015||Clinical Fellowship, Leukemia, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2010-2013||Clinical Residency, Medicine, Mount Sinai Beth Israel, New York, NY|
|2008-2010||Clinical Fellowship, Hematology, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo|
|2006-2008||Clinical Residency, Tokyo Medical and Dental University, Tokyo|
|2017||American Board of Hematology|
|2016||The Japanese Board of Hematology|
|2014||The Japanese Board of Internal Medicine|
|2013||The American Board of Internal Medicine|
- Jabbour E, Short NJ, Ravandi F, Huang X, Daver N, DiNardo CD, Konopleva M, Pemmaraju N, Wierda W, Garcia-Manero G, Sasaki K, Cortes J, Garris R, Khoury JD, Jorgensen J, Jain N, Alvarez J, O'Brien S, Kantarjian H. Combination of hyper-CVAD with ponatinib as first-line therapy for patients with Philadelphia chromosome-positive acute lymphoblastic leukaemia: long-term follow-up of a single-centre, phase 2 study. Lancet Haematol 5(12):e618-e627, 2018. PMID: 30501869.
- Sasaki K, Kantarjian H, O'Brien S, Ravandi F, Konopleva M, Borthakur G, Garcia-Manero G, Wierda W, Daver N, Ferrajoli A, Takahashi K, Jain P, Rios MB, Pierce S, Jabbour E, Cortes JE. Prediction for sustained deep molecular response of BCR-ABL1 levels in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia in chronic phase. Cancer 124(6):1160-1168, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29266206.
- Issa GC, Kantarjian HM, Gonzalez GN, Borthakur G, Tang G, Wierda W, Sasaki K, Short NJ, Ravandi F, Kadia T, Patel K, Luthra R, Ferrajoli A, Garcia-Manero G, Rios MB, Dellasala S, Jabbour E, Cortes JE. Clonal chromosomal abnormalities appearing in Philadelphia negative metaphases during CML treatment. Blood 130(19):2084-2091, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28835440.
- Gettys SC, Gulbis A, Wilhelm K, Sasaki K, Dinh Y, Rondon G, Qazilbash MH. Modified CVAD and modified CBAD compared to high-dose cyclophosphamide for peripheral blood stem cell mobilization in patients with multiple myeloma. Eur J Haematol 98(4):388-392, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28009447.
- Short NJ, Kantarjian HM, Sasaki K, Ravandi F, Ko H, Cameron Yin C, Garcia-Manero G, Cortes JE, Garris R, O'Brien SM, Patel K, Khouri M, Thomas D, Jain N, Kadia TM, Daver NG, Benton CB, Issa GC, Konopleva M, Jabbour E. Poor outcomes associated with +der(22)t(9;22) and -9/9p in patients with Philadelphia chromosome-positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia receiving chemotherapy plus a tyrosine kinase inhibitor. Am J Hematol 92(3):238-243, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28006851.
- Issa GC, Kantarjian HM, Yin CC, Qiao W, Ravandi F, Thomas D, Short NJ, Sasaki K, Garcia-Manero G, Kadia TM, Cortes JE, Daver N, Borthakur G, Jain N, Konopleva M, Khouri I, Kebriaei P, Champlin RE, Pierce S, O'Brien SM, Jabbour E. Prognostic impact of pretreatment cytogenetics in adult Philadelphia chromosome-negative acute lymphoblastic leukemia in the era of minimal residual disease. Cancer 123(3):459-467, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27696391.
- Jabbour E, Short NJ, Jorgensen JL, Yilmaz M, Ravandi F, Wang SA, Thomas DA, Khoury J, Champlin RE, Khouri I, Kebriaei P, O'Brien SM, Garcia-Manero G, Cortes JE, Sasaki K, Dinardo CD, Kadia TM, Jain N, Konopleva M, Garris R, Kantarjian HM. Differential impact of minimal residual disease negativity according to the salvage status in patients with relapsed/refractory B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer 123(2):294-302, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27602508.
- Sasaki K, Jabbour EJ, Ravandi F, Short NJ, Thomas DA, Garcia-Manero G, Daver NG, Kadia TM, Konopleva MY, Jain N, Issa GC, Jeanis V, Moore HG, Garris RS, Pemmaraju N, Cortes JE, O'Brien SM, Kantarjian HM. Hyper-CVAD plus ponatinib versus hyper-CVAD plus dasatinib as frontline therapy for patients with Philadelphia chromosome-positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia: A propensity score analysis. Cancer 122(23):3650-3656, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27479888.
- Sasaki K, Popat U, Jain P, Kadia T, Patel K, Patel K, Jain N, Takahashi K, Young K, Miranda RN, Oo TH, Lu H, Pemmaraju N. Successful treatment of aplastic anemia-paroxysmal nocturnal hemoglobinuria associated with eosinophilic fasciitis with matched unrelated donor allogeneic peripheral blood stem cell transplantation. Clin Case Rep 4(8):765-7, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27525080.
- Sasaki K, Kantarjian H, Jabbour E, Ravandi F, Takahashi K, Konopleva M, Borthakur G, Garcia-Manero G, Wierda W, Daver N, Jain P, Satta T, Pierce S, Rios MB, Cortes JE. Frontline therapy with high-dose imatinib versus second generation tyrosine kinase inhibitor in patients with chronic-phase chronic myeloid leukemia - a propensity score analysis. Haematologica 101(8):e324-7, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27175025.
- Sasaki K, Lahoti A, Jabbour E, Jain P, Pierce S, Borthakur G, Daver N, Kadia T, Pemmaraju N, Ferrajoli A, O'Brien S, Kantarjian H, Cortes J. Clinical Safety and Efficacy of Nilotinib or Dasatinib in Patients With Newly Diagnosed Chronic-Phase Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia and Pre-Existing Liver and/or Renal Dysfunction. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk 16(3):152-62, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26796981.
- Sasaki K, Kantarjian HM, Jain P, Jabbour EJ, Ravandi F, Konopleva M, Borthakur G, Takahashi K, Pemmaraju N, Daver N, Pierce SA, O'Brien SM, Cortes JE. Conditional survival in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia in chronic phase in the era of tyrosine kinase inhibitors. Cancer 122(2):238-48, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26479889.
- Sasaki K, Strom SS, O'Brien S, Jabbour E, Ravandi F, Konopleva M, Borthakur G, Pemmaraju N, Daver N, Jain P, Pierce S, Kantarjian H, Cortes JE. Relative survival in patients with chronic-phase chronic myeloid leukaemia in the tyrosine-kinase inhibitor era: analysis of patient data from six prospective clinical trials. Lancet Haematol 2(5):e186-93, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26688093.
- Sasaki K, Pemmaraju N, Westin JR, Wang WL, Khoury JD, Podoloff DA, Moon B, Daver N, Borthakur G. A single case of rosai-dorfman disease marked by pathologic fractures, kidney failure, and liver cirrhosis treated with single-agent cladribine. Front Oncol 4:297, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25401088.
- Sasaki K, Lu G, Saliba RM, Bashir Q, Hosing C, Popat U, Shah N, Parmar S, Dinh Y, Ahmed S, Shpall EJ, Kebriaei P, Shah JJ, Orlowski RZ, Champlin R, Qazilbash MH. Impact of t(11;14)(q13;q32) on the outcome of autologous hematopoietic cell transplantation in multiple myeloma. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 19(8):1227-32, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23733001.
- Oshikawa G, Arai A, Sasaki K, Ichinohasama R, Miura O. [Primary multifocal osseous Hodgkin lymphoma]. Rinsho Ketsueki 50(2):92-6, 2009. PMID: 19265301.
- Kanagal-Shamanna R, Jain P, Takahashi K, Short NJ, Tang G, Issa GC, Ravandi F, Garcia-Manero G, Yin CC, Luthra R, Patel KP, Khoury JD, Montalban-Bravo G, Sasaki K, Kadia TM, Borthakur G, Konopleva M, Jain N, Garris R, Pierce S, Wierda W, Estrov Z, Cortes J, O'Brien S, Kantarjian H, Jabbour E. TP53 mutation does not confer a poor outcome in adult patients with acute lymphoblastic leukemia who are treated with frontline hyper-CVAD-based regimens. Cancer. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28608976.
- Jain P, Kantarjian H, Jain N, Short NJ, Yin CC, Kanagal-Shamanna R, Khoury J, Konopleva M, Sasaki K, Kadia TM, Garris R, Pierce S, Estrov Z, Wierda W, Cortes J, O'Brien S, Ravandi F, Jabbour E. Clinical characteristics and outcomes of previously untreated patients with adult onset T-acute lymphoblastic leukemia and T-lymphoblastic lymphoma with hyper-CVAD based regimens. Am J Hematol. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28646517.
- Jabbour E, Short NJ, Ravandi F, Huang X, Xiao L, Garcia-Manero G, Plunkett W, Gandhi V, Sasaki K, Pemmaraju N, Daver NG, Borthakur G, Jain N, Konopleva M, Estrov Z, Kadia TM, Wierda WG, DiNardo CD, Brandt M, O'Brien SM, Cortes JE, Kantarjian H. A randomized phase 2 study of idarubicin and cytarabine with clofarabine or fludarabine in patients with newly diagnosed acute myeloid leukemia. Cancer. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28708931.
- Short NJ, Kantarjian H, Ravandi F, Huang X, Xiao L, Garcia-Manero G, Plunkett W, Gandhi V, Sasaki K, Pemmaraju N, Daver NG, Borthakur G, Jain N, Konopleva M, Estrov Z, Kadia TM, Wierda WG, DiNardo CD, Brandt M, O'Brien SM, Cortes JE, Jabbour E. A phase I/II randomized trial of clofarabine or fludarabine added to idarubicin and cytarabine for adults with relapsed or refractory acute myeloid leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma:1-8. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28718728.
- Jain P, Kantarjian HM, Ghorab A, Sasaki K, Jabbour EJ, Nogueras Gonzalez G, Kanagal-Shamanna R, Issa GC, Garcia-Manero G, Kc D, Dellasala S, Pierce S, Konopleva M, Wierda WG, Verstovsek S, Daver NG, Kadia TM, Borthakur G, O'Brien S, Estrov Z, Ravandi F, Cortes JE. Prognostic factors and survival outcomes in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia in blast phase in the tyrosine kinase inhibitor era: Cohort study of 477 patients. Cancer. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28743165.
- Jabbour E, Short NJ, Montalban-Bravo G, Huang X, Bueso-Ramos C, Qiao W, Yang H, Zhao C, Kadia T, Borthakur G, Pemmaraju N, Sasaki K, Estrov Z, Cortes J, Ravandi F, Alvarado Y, Komrokji R, Sekeres MA, Steensma DP, DeZern A, Roboz G, Kantarjian H, Garcia-Manero G. A randomized phase II study of low-dose decitabine versus low-dose azacitidine in lower risk MDS and MDS/MPN. Blood. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28774880.