About Dr. Byers
Associate Professor, Department of Thoracic/Head and Neck Medical Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Dr. Byers’ research goal is to identify changes in cancer cells at the molecular level that contribute to their growth and drug resistance and apply this knowledge to develop more effective, personalized therapy for patients. Her laboratory - together with the Thoracic Bioinformatics Team, which she co-leads - studies gene and protein profiles obtained from lung and head and neck cell lines, mouse models, and patient tumors. Dr. Byers’ laboratory research led to the discovery of several novel drug targets for lung and head and neck cancer and important ways in which cancer cells can become resistant to existing therapies, including immunotherapy. The results obtained by her team have led directly to clinical trials with new combinations of drugs that will impact patient care. Currently, Dr. Byers is examining the inhibitory effects of different drugs on protein Chk1 to treat small cell lung cancer.
Dr. Byers is a medical oncologist dedicated to understanding the causes of resistance to treatment in patients diagnosed with thoracic and head and neck cancers and identifying novel therapeutic targets for these diseases. She incorporates the analysis of gene and protein information of a patient when evaluating and determining the best treatment strategy for that patient. Previously, Dr. Byers demonstrated that the cellular membrane receptor Axl is a marker that can predict which patients will be resistant to treatment with EGFR inhibitors. This work led to her opening a clinical trial that uses new drug combinations targeting Axl in patients resistant to treatment with EGFR inhibitors. In addition, Dr. Byers is currently leading several clinical trials testing PARP inhibitors alone and in combination with chemotherapy for patients with recurrent small cell lung cancer.
|2009||University of Texas Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX, USA, MS, Cancer Biology (specialization in Patient-Based Research)|
|2003||Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1998||Princeton University, Princeton, NJ, USA, BA, Molecular Biology|
|2009-2010||Advanced Scholars Program, Medical Oncology Research, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2006-2009||Clinical Fellowship, Medical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2003-2006||Clinical Residency, Internal Medicine, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD|
|2010||Medical Oncology, American Board of Internal Medicine|
|2006||Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine|
Assistant Professor, Department of Thoracic/Head and Neck Medical Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2010 - 2017
- Suzuki R, Lin SH, Wei X, Allen PK, Welsh JW, Byers LA, Komaki R. Prognostic Significance of Pretreatment Total Lymphocyte Count and Neutrophil-to-lymphocyte Ratio in Extensive-stage Small-cell Lung Cancer. Radiother Oncol 126(3):499-505, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29398150.
- Dasari A, Mehta K, Byers LA, Sorbye H, Yao JC. Comparative Study of Lung and Extrapulmonary Poorly Differentiated Neuroendocrine Carcinomas: A SEER Database Analysis of 162,983 Cases. Cancer 124(4):807-815, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29211313.
- Gadhikar MA, Zhang J, Shen L, Rao X, Wang J, Zhao M, Kalu NN, Johnson FM, Byers LA, Heymach J, Hittelman WN, Udayakumar D, Pandita RK, Pandita TK, Pickering CR, Redwood AB, Piwnica-Worms H, Schlacher K, Frederick MJ, Myers JN. CDKN2A/p16Deletion in Head and Neck Cancer Cells Is Associated with CDK2 Activation, Replication Stress, and Vulnerability to CHK1 Inhibition. Cancer Res 78(3):781-797, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29229598.
- Cardnell RJ, Li L, Sen T, Bara R, Tong P, Fujimoto J, Ireland AS, Guthrie MR, Bheddah S, Banerjee U, Kalu NN, Fan YH, Dylla SJ, Johnson FM, Wistuba II, Oliver TG, Heymach JV, Glisson BS, Wang J, Byers LA. Protein Expression of TTF1 and cMYC Define Distinct Molecular Subgroups of Small Cell Lung Cancer with Unique Vulnerabilities to Aurora Kinase Inhibition, DLL3 Targeting, and Other Targeted Therapies. Oncotarget 8(43):73419-73432, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29088717.
- Mak MP, Tong P, Diao L, Cardnell RJ, Gibbons DL, William WN, Skoulidis F, Parra ER, Rodriguez-Canales J, Wistuba II, Heymach JV, Weinstein JN, Coombes KR, Wang J, Byers LA. A Patient-derived, Pan-cancer EMT Signature Identifies Global Molecular Alterations and Immune Target Enrichment Following Epithelial to Mesenchymal Transition. Clin Cancer Res 22(3):609-20, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26420858.
- Cancer Genome Atlas Network. Comprehensive Genomic Characterization of Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinomas. Nature 517(7536):576-82, 2015. PMID: 25631445.
- Hoadley KA, Yau C, Wolf DM, Cherniack AD, Tamborero D, Ng S, Leiserson MD, Niu B, McLellan MD, Uzunangelov V, Zhang J, Kandoth C, Akbani R, Shen H, Omberg L, Chu A, Margolin AA, Van't Veer LJ, Lopez-Bigas N, Laird PW, Raphael BJ, Ding L, Robertson AG, Byers LA, Mills GB, Weinstein JN, Van Waes C, Chen Z, Collisson EA, Cancer Genome Atlas Research Network, Benz CC, Perou CM, Stuart JM. Multi-platform Analysis of 12 cancer Types Reveals Molecular Classification within and Across Tissues-of-origin. Cell 158(4):929-44, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25109877.
- Cancer Genome Atlas Research Network. Comprehensive Molecular Profiling of Lung Adenocarcinoma. Nature 511(7511):543-50, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25079552.
- Cardnell RJ, Feng Y, Diao L, Fan YH, Masrorpour F, Wang J, Shen Y, Mills GB, Minna JD, Heymach JV, Byers LA. Proteomic Markers of DNA Repair and PI3K Pathway Activation Predict Response to the PARP Inhibitor BMN 673 in Small Cell Lung Cancer. Clin Cancer Res 19(22):6322-8, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24077350.
- Byers LA, Diao L, Wang J, Saintigny P, Girard L, Peyton M, Shen L, Fan Y, Giri U, Tumula PK, Nilsson MB, Gudikote J, Tran H, Cardnell RJ, Bearss DJ, Warner SL, Foulks JM, Kanner SB, Gandhi V, Krett N, Rosen ST, Kim ES, Herbst RS, Blumenschein GR, Lee JJ, Lippman SM, Ang KK, Mills GB, Hong WK, Weinstein JN, Wistuba II, Coombes KR, Minna JD, Heymach JV. An Epithelial-mesenchymal Transition (EMT) Gene Signature Predicts Resistance to EGFR and PI3K Inhibitors and Identifies Axl as a Therapeutic Target for Overcoming EGFR Inhibitor Resistance. Clin Cancer Res Comment in Clinical Cancer Research, 2013 19(1):279-290, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23091115.
- Byers LA, Wang J, Nilsson MB, Fujimoto J, Saintigny P, Yordy J, Giri U, Peyton M, Fan YH, Diao L, Masrorpour F, Shen L, Liu W, Duchemann B, Tumula P, Bhardwaj V, Welsh J, Weber S, Glisson BS, Kalhor N, Wistuba II, Girard L, Lippman SM, Mills GB, Coombes KR, Weinstein JN, Minna JD, Heymach JV. Proteomic Profiling Identifies Dysregulated Pathways in Small Cell Lung Cancer and Novel Therapeutic Targets including PARP1. Cancer Discov (In the Spotlight, Cancer Discovery, 2012 2(9):798-811, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22961666.
- Cancer Genome Atlas Research Network. Comprehensive Genomic Characterization of Squamous Cell Lung Cancers. Nature 489(7417):519-25, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22960745.
- Byers LA, Holsinger FC, Kies MS, William WN, El-Naggar AK, Lee JJ, Hu J, Lopez A, Tran HT, Yan S, Du Z, Ang KK, Glisson BS, Raso MG, Wistuba II, Myers JN, Hong WK, Papadimitrakopoulou V, Lippman SM, Heymach JV. Serum Signature of Hypoxia-regulated Factors is Associated with Progression after Induction Therapy in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Cancer. Mol Cancer Ther 9(6):1755-63, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20530716.
- Byers LA, Sen B, Saigal B, Diao L, Wang J, Nanjundan M, Cascone T, Mills GB, Heymach JV, Johnson FM. Reciprocal Regulation of c-Src and STAT3 in Non-small Cell Lung Cancer. Clin Cancer Res 15(22):6852-61, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19861436.
- Rosenwald A, Wright G, Chan WC, Connors JM, Campo E, Fisher RI, Gascoyne RD, Muller-Hermelink HK, Smeland EB, Giltnane JM, Hurt EM, Zhao H, Averett L, Yang L, Wilson WH, Jaffe ES, Simon R, Klausner RD, Powell J, Duffey PL, Longo DL, Greiner TC, Weisenburger DD, Sanger WG, Dave BJ, Lynch JC, Vose J, Armitage JO, Montserrat E, López-Guillermo A, Grogan TM, Miller TP, LeBlanc M, Ott G, Kvaloy S, Delabie J, Holte H, Krajci P, Stokke T, Staudt LM. The Use of Molecular Profiling to Predict Survival after Chemotherapy for Diffuse Large-B-cell Lymphoma. N Engl J Med 346(25):1937-47, 2002. PMID: 12075054.
- Skoulidis F, Byers LA, Diao L, Papadimitrakopoulou VA, Tong P, Izzo J, Behrens C, Kadara H, Parra ER, Rodriguez-Canales J, Zhang J, Giri U, Gudikote J, Cortez MA, Yang C, Fan YH, Peyton M, Girard L, Coombes KR, Toniatti C, Heffernan TP, Choi M, Frampton GM, Miller V, Weinstein JN, Herbst RS, Wong KK, Zhang J, Sharma P, Mills GB, Hong WK, Minna JD, Allison JP, Futreal A, Wang J, Wistuba II, Heymach JV. Co-occurring Genomic Alterations Define Major Subsets of KRAS - Mutant Lung Adenocarcinoma with Distinct biology, Immune Profiles and Therapeutic Vulnerabilities. Cancer Discov. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26069186.
- Cardnell RJ, Behrens C, Diao L, Fan YH, Tang X, Tong P, Minna JD, Mills GB, Heymach JV, Wistuba II, Wang J, Byers LA. An Integrated Molecular Analysis of Lung Adenocarcinomas Identifies Potential Therapeutic Targets among TTF1-negative Tumors Including DNA Repair Proteins and Nrf2. Clin Cancer Res. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25878335.
- Sen T, Gay CM, Byers LA. Targeting DNA Damage Repair in Small Cell Lung Cancer and the Biomarker Landscape. Transl Lung Cancer Res 7(1):50-68, 2018.
- Byers LA, Rudin CM. "Small Cell Lung Cancer: Where do We go from Here?". Cancer 121(5):664-72, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25336398.
- Stewart CA, Byers LA. Altering the Course of Small Cell Lung Cancer: Targeting Cancer Stem Cells via LSD1 Inhibition. Cancer Cell 28(1):4-6, 2015. PMID: 26175409.
Books (edited and written)
- Glisson BS, Byers LA. Pathobiology and Staging of Small Cell Carcinoma of the Lung. Ed(s) Lilenbaum RC, Nicholson A, Jett JR. UpToDate, 2014.