Meet Lauren Mayo, M.D.
About Dr. Mayo
Dr. Mayo earned her medical degree from The University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) in Galveston, TX. She completed her internship at The Methodist Hospital and then spent a year of radiology training at New York University. She returned back to Texas to complete her residency and serve as chief resident in radiation oncology at The University of Texas Medical Branch with an integrated training at MD Anderson Cancer Center. During her training she received several awards including being nominated as the Outstanding Overall Resident at UTMB, held active national leadership roles in the American College of Radiology, and remains a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society and American Society for Radiation Oncology. She then joined the faculty of MD Anderson where she treats all disease sites but has a special interest in head and neck cancer.
Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, League City, TX
|2005||The University of Texas, Austin, TX, USA, BA, Finance, with minor in Biology|
|2011-2014||Clinical Residency, Department of Radiology, University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB), Galveston, TX|
|2010-2011||Clinical Residency, Department of Radiology, New York University Langone Medical Center, New York, New York, NY|
|2009-2010||Clinical Internship, Department of Internal Medicine, Transitional Intern, The Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX|
|2014||Top Doctor in Houston, TX 2014, Awarded by International Association of Radiologists. Published in The Leading Physicians of the World|
|2014||American Brachytherapy Society/Nucletron Scholarship, Willis Knighton Medical Center, in Shreveport, LA|
|2014||Outstanding Overall Resident Award Nominee, University of Texas Medical Branch|
|2010||In-training Exam Award, The Methodist Hospital|
|2008||Medical student junior, Vice President of chapter, Alpha Omega Alpha, Texas Alpha Chapter|
- Bloom BC, Augustyn A, Pezzi TA, Menon H, Mayo LL, Shah SJ, Schwartz DL, Chmura SJ, Johnson FM, Welsh JW, Chun SG. Rescue of Immunotherapy-Refractory Metastatic Merkel Cell Carcinoma With Conventionally Fractionated Radiotherapy and Concurrent Pembrolizumab. Front Oncol 9:223, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31024834.
- Valerie Reed , Anita Kaw, Hiral Patel, Isidora Arzu, Lauren Mayo, Lorenzo Cohen, David Rosenthal, Shalin Shah. Employee Physical Activity in an Outpatient Oncology Clinic: A Baseline Pilot Study. Cureus 10(12), 2018.
- Sturgeon JD, Cox JA, Mayo LL, Gunn GB, Zhang L, Balter PA, Dong L, Awan M, Kocak-Uzel E, Mohamed AS, Rosenthal DI, Fuller CD. Improved human observer performance in digital reconstructed radiograph verification in head and neck cancer radiotherapy. Int J Comput Assist Radiol Surg 10(10):1667-73, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25477277.
- RC Mayo, R Vincens, LL Mayo, T Swanson, C Jensen. Brachytherapy gadgets (instruments, applicators, and seeds): A review for radiologists.
- Mayo, L Delineation of Supraclavicular Target Volumes in Breast Cancer Radiation Therapy: Brown LC, Diehn FE, Boughey JC, et al (Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN) Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 92:642-649, 2015. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 26(4):339-341, 2015.
- Gunn GB, Garden AS, Ye R, Ausat N, Morrison WH, Fuller CD, Phan J, Reddy JP, Shah SJ, Mayo LL, Chun SG, Rosenthal DI, Frank SJ. Clinical Outcomes after Proton Therapy for Head and Neck Cancer: A 12 Year Single Institution Experience. ASTRO, 2019.
- Nancy Philip MD1, Rong Ye. MS10, Hyunsoo Hwang, MS10, Xuemei Wang MS 10, Mitchell Steven Anscher MD1, Stephen Chung MD1, Seungtaek Choi MD1, Karen Hoffman MD1, Lauren Layer Mayo MD1, Quynh-Nhu Nguyen, MD1, Shalin Jyotindra Shah MD1, Chad Tang MD1, John Davis MD2, Paul Corn MD3, Patricia Troncoso MD4, Haesun Choi MD5, Deborah A Kuban MD6, Thomas Pugh MD7, Usama Mahmood MD8, Andrew Lee MD. MPH9, Steven Jay Frank MD1. A Phase II trial of Hypofractionated Proton Therapy in Prostate Cancer: 3-year Patient and Physician reported Outcomes. ASTRO, 2019.
- JP Reddy1, WD Lindsay2, CG Berlind2, CA Ahern2, A Holmes2, BD Smith1, J Phan1, SJ Frank1, GB Gunn1, DI Rosenthal1, WH Morrison1, AS Garden1, Greg Chronowski1, Shalin Shah1, Lauren Mayo1, and CD Fuller1. Applying a machine learning approach to predict acute radiation toxicities for head and neck cancer patients. ASTRO, 2019.
- Mayo,L. Head to Head Comparison of Artificial Intelligence and Conventional Computer Aided Detection for Evaluation of Screening Mammograms (Accepted as scientific electronic exhibit for the 119th Annual Meeting of the ARRS), 2018.
- Penny Fang, MD, Elizabeth Bloom, MD, Wendy A. Woodward, MD, PhD, Michael C. Stauder, MD, Welela Tereffe, MD, MPH, Stephen G. Chun, MD, Pamela J. Schlembach, MD, Lauren L. Mayo, MD, Neelofur Ahmad, MD, Isidora Y. Arzu, MD, Valerie K. Reed, MD, Gregory M. Chronowski, MD, Marc Delclos, MD, Benjamin D. Smith, MD. A Phase 2 Study of Hypofractionated Partial Breast Irradiation (HF-PBI) in Women with Early Stage Breast Cancer(accepted for presentation at 2018 ASTRO), 2018.