Meet Lauren Mayo, M.D.
About Dr. Mayo
Dr. Mayo earned her medical degree from The University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) in Galveston, TX. She completed her internship at The Methodist Hospital and then spent a year of radiology training at New York University. She returned back to Texas to complete her residency and serve as chief resident in radiation oncology at The University of Texas Medical Branch with an integrated training at MD Anderson Cancer Center. During her training she received several awards including being nominated as the Outstanding Overall Resident at UTMB, held active national leadership roles in the American College of Radiology, and remains a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society and American Society for Radiation Oncology. She then joined the faculty of MD Anderson where she treats all disease sites but has a special interest in head and neck cancer.
Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2009||University of Texas Medical Branch, Galveston, TX, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2005||The University of Texas, Austin, TX, USA, BA, Finance, with minor in Biology|
|2012-2012||Clinical Residency, Department of Radiation Oncology; The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX. Ten months of clinical training integrated into UTMB residency: lymphoma, CNS, pediatrics, Head & Neck, Thoracic, and Genitourinary, Dr. Christopher Crane, M.D, Houston, TX|
|2011-2014||Clinical Residency, Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB), Galveston, TX|
|2010-2011||Clinical Residency, Department of Radiology, New York University Langone Medical Center, New York, New York, NY|
|2009-2010||Clinical Internship, Department of Internal Medicine, Transitional Intern, The Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX|
|2016||American Board of Radiology|
Assistant Clinical Operations Lead (ACOL), The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, League City, TX, 2019 - Present
|2020||Top 10% Performer CAHPS, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2019||Top 1% Performer CAHPS, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Physician Referral Service|
|2014||Top Doctor in Houston, TX 2014, Awarded by International Association of Radiologists. Published in The Leading Physicians of the World|
|2014||American Brachytherapy Society Nucletron Scholarship, Willis Knighton Medical Center, Shreveport, LA|
|2014||Outstanding Overall Resident Award Nominee, University of Texas Medical Branch|
|2010||In-training Exam Award for Top Score, The Methodist Hospital|
|2008||AOA Junior Medical student, Vice President of chapter, Alpha Omega Alpha, Texas Alpha Chapter|
- Choi JS, Sansoni ER, Lovin BD, Lindquist NR, Phan J, Mayo LL, Ferrarotto R, Su SY. Abscopal effect following immunotherapy and combined stereotactic body radiation therapy in recurrent metastatic head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: a report of 2 cases and literature review. Ann of Otol Rhinol & Laryngol 2020 May 129(5):517-522, 2020.
- Bloom BC, Augustyn A, Pezzi TA, Menon H, Mayo LL, Shah SJ, Schwartz DL, Chmura SJ, Johnson FM, Welsh JW, Chun SG. Rescue of immunotherapy-refractory metastatic merkel cell carcinoma with conventionally fractionated radiotherapy and concurrent pembrolizumab. Front Oncol 9:223, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31024834.
- Reed,V, Kaw,A, Patel,H, Arzu,I, Mayo,L, Cohen,L, David Rosenthal, Shalin Shah. Employee physical activity in an outpatient oncology clinic: a baseline pilot study. Cureus 2018 Dec 31; 10(12):e3803, 2018.
- Sturgeon JD, Cox JA, Mayo LL, Gunn GB, Zhang L, Balter PA, Dong L, Awan M, Kocak-Uzel E, Mohamed AS, Rosenthal DI, Fuller CD. Improved human observer performance in digital reconstructed radiograph verification in head and neck cancer radiotherapy. Int J Comput Assist Radiol Surg 10(10):1667-73, 2015. PMID: 25477277.
- Vicens RA, Rodriguez J, Sheplan L, Mayo C 3rd, Mayo L, Jensen C. Brachytherapy in pelvic malignancies: a review for radiologists. Abdominal Imag 2015 Oct 40(7):2645-59, 2015.
- Smith G, Fu S, Ning M, Nguyen N, Busse B, Foote R, Garden A, Gunn G, Fuller C, Morrison W, Chronowski G, Shah S, Mayo L, Phan J, Reddy J, Snider J, Patel S, Katz R, Lin A, Mohammed N, Dagan R, Lee N, Rosenthal D, and Frank S. Work Outcomes after Intensity-Modulated Proton Therapy (IMPT) vs. Intensity-Modulated Photon Therapy (IMRT)for Oropharyngeal Cancer. International Journal of Particle Therapy.
- Ludmir EB, Adlakha EK, Chun SG, Reed VK, Arzu IY, Ahmad N, Bloom E, Chronowski GM, Delclos ME, Mayo LL, Schlembach PJ, Liao Z, Koong AC, Herman JM, Shah SJ Enhancing clinical trial enrollment at MD Anderson Cancer Center satellite community campuses. Acta Oncologica 2019 Aug; 58(8):1135-1137, 2019.
- Mayo, L Delineation of Supraclavicular Target Volumes in Breast Cancer Radiation Therapy: Brown LC, Diehn FE, Boughey JC, et al (Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN) Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 92:642-649, 2015. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 26(4):339-341, 2015.
- G. Brandon Gunn, Adam S. Garden, Rong Ye, Noveen Ausat, William H. Morrison, C. David Fuller, Jack Phan, Jay P. Reddy, Shalin J. Shah, Lauren L. Mayo, Stephen G. Chun, Gregory M. Chronowski, David I. Rosenthal, Xiaorong Ronald Zhu, Steven J. Frank. Proton Therapy for Head and Neck Cancer: A 12 Year Single-Institution Experience. International Journal of Particle Therapy.
- Philip N, Ye R, Hwang H, Wang X, Anscher MS, Chung SG, Choi S, Hoffman KE, Mayo LL, Nguyen QN, Shah SJ, Tang C, Davis J, Corn P, Troncoso P, Choi H, Kuban DA, Pugh TJ, Mahmood U, Lee AK. Frank SJ. A phase II trial of hypofractionated proton therapy in prostate cancer: 3-year patient and physician reported outcomes. Presented at the 2019 annual meeting of the American Society for Radiation Oncology [ASTRO], 2019.
- Reddy JP, Lindsay WD, Berlind CG, Ahern CA, Holmes A, Smith BD, Phan J, Frank SJ, Gunn GB, Rosenthal DI, Morrison WH, Garden AS, Chronowski G, Shah SJ, Mayo LL, Fuller CD. Applying a machine learning approach to predict acute radiation toxicities for head and neck cancer patients. Presented at the 2019 annual meeting of the American Society for Radiation Oncology [ASTRO], 2019.
- Gunn GB, Garden AS, Ye R, Ausat N, Morrison WH, Fuller CD, Phan J, Reddy JP, Shah SJ, Mayo LL, Chun SG, Rosenthal DI, Frank SJ. Clinical outcomes after proton therapy for head and neck cancer: a 12-year single-institution experience. Presented at the 2019 annual meeting of the American Society for Radiation Oncology [ASTRO], 2019.
- Fang P, Bloom E, Woodward WA, Stauder MC, Tereffe W, Chun SG, Schlembach PJ, Mayo LL, Ahmad N, Arzu IY, Reed VK, Chronowski GM, Delclos ME, Smith BD. A phase 2 study of hypofractionated partial breast irradiation (HF-PBI) in women with early stage breast cancer. Presented at the 2018 annual meeting of the American Society for Radiation Oncology [ASTRO], 2018.
- Mayo,L. Head to Head Comparison of Artificial Intelligence and Conventional Computer Aided Detection for Evaluation of Screening Mammograms (Scientific electronic exhibit for the 119th Annual Meeting of the American Roentgen Ray Society [ARRS], #E1828, 2018.