Meet Lauren Mayo, M.D.
About Dr. Mayo
Dr. Mayo earned her medical degree from The University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB) in Galveston, TX. She completed her internship at The Methodist Hospital and then spent a year of radiology training at New York University. She returned back to Texas to complete her residency and serve as chief resident in radiation oncology at The University of Texas Medical Branch with an integrated training at MD Anderson Cancer Center. During her training she received several awards including being nominated as the Outstanding Overall Resident at UTMB, held active national leadership roles in the American College of Radiology, and remains a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society and American Society for Radiation Oncology. She then joined the faculty of MD Anderson where she treats all disease sites but has a special interest in head and neck cancer.
Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, League City, TX
|2005||The University of Texas, Austin, TX, USA, BA, Finance, with minor in Biology|
|2011-2014||Clinical Residency, Department of Radiology, University of Texas Medical Branch (UTMB), Galveston, TX|
|2010-2011||Clinical Residency, Department of Radiology, New York University Langone Medical Center, New York, New York, NY|
|2009-2010||Clinical Internship, Department of Internal Medicine, Transitional Intern, The Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX|
|2014||Top Doctor in Houston, TX 2014, Awarded by International Association of Radiologists. Published in The Leading Physicians of the World|
|2014||American Brachytherapy Society/Nucletron Scholarship, Willis Knighton Medical Center, in Shreveport, LA|
|2014||Outstanding Overall Resident Award Nominee, University of Texas Medical Branch|
|2010||In-training Exam Award, The Methodist Hospital|
|2008||Medical student junior, Vice President of chapter, Alpha Omega Alpha, Texas Alpha Chapter|
- Valerie Reed , Anita Kaw, Hiral Patel, Isidora Arzu, Lauren Mayo, Lorenzo Cohen, David Rosenthal, Shalin Shah. Employee Physical Activity in an Outpatient Oncology Clinic: A Baseline Pilot Study. Cureus 10(12), 2018.
- Sturgeon JD, Cox JA, Mayo LL, Gunn GB, Zhang L, Balter PA, Dong L, Awan M, Kocak-Uzel E, Mohamed AS, Rosenthal DI, Fuller CD. Improved human observer performance in digital reconstructed radiograph verification in head and neck cancer radiotherapy. Int J Comput Assist Radiol Surg 10(10):1667-73, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25477277.
- RC Mayo, R Vincens, LL Mayo, T Swanson, C Jensen. Brachytherapy gadgets (instruments, applicators, and seeds): A review for radiologists.
- Penny Fang, MD, Elizabeth Bloom, MD, Wendy A. Woodward, MD, PhD, Michael C. Stauder, MD, Welela Tereffe, MD, MPH, Stephen G. Chun, MD, Pamela J. Schlembach, MD, Lauren L. Mayo, MD, Neelofur Ahmad, MD, Isidora Y. Arzu, MD, Valerie K. Reed, MD, Gregory M. Chronowski, MD, Marc Delclos, MD, Benjamin D. Smith, MD. A Phase 2 Study of Hypofractionated Partial Breast Irradiation (HF-PBI) in Women with Early Stage Breast Cancer(accepted for presentation at 2018 ASTRO), 2018.
- Mayo,L. Head to Head Comparison of Artificial Intelligence and Conventional Computer Aided Detection for Evaluation of Screening Mammograms (Accepted as scientific electronic exhibit for the 119th Annual Meeting of the ARRS), 2018.