About Dr. Marcal
Dr. Leonardo P. Marcal earned his medical degree from the Federal University of Espirito Santo School of Medicine in Vitoria, Brazil in 1997 after which he began his clinical residency in Diagnostic Radiology at the William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oak, MI which he completed in June, 2003. In July, 2003 he began a fellowship in Body Imaging at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, and in 2006 he joined the Department of Radiology of MD Anderson Cancer as an Assistant Professor.
Dr. Marcal has been Board certified in Diagnostic Radiology by the American Board of Radiology since 2003 and holds active medical licenses in Michigan and Texas. He is a member of several professional organizations, such as the Radiological Society of North America (RSNA), American Roentgen Ray Society (ARRS), American College of Radiology (ACR) and Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound (SRU), among others.
Dr. Marcal is a productive author with 31 peer-reviewed articles, 1 invited article, 6 book chapters and 24 abstracts to his credit.
In September 2012, he was promoted to Associate Professor.
Co-Director of General Ultrasound, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Assistant Professor, Division of Diagnostic and Interventional Imaging, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, TX
|1997||Federal University of Espirito Santo School of Medicine, Victoria, BRA, MD, Medicine|
|1991||Federal University of Espirito Santo School of Economics, Vitoria, BRA, BS, Economics|
|2003-2004||Clinical Fellowship, Body Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1999-2003||Clinical Residency, Diagnostic Radiology, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI|
|1998-1999||Clinical Residency, Transitional Year, William Beaumont Hospital, Royal Oak, MI|
|2003||American Board of Radiology|
Associate Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2012 - 2019
Assistant Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2006 - 2012
Member, Body Imaging Small Bowel Research Group, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Houston, TX, 2011 - Present
Member, Body Imaging Pancreas Research Group, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Houston, TX, 2011 - Present
Member, MRI Clinical Utility Committee, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2012
Radiologist, Multiscan Imagem e Diagnostico, Vitoria, 2004 - 2006
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, CT/QA Operations Committee, 2018 - Present
Representative, Diagnostic Radiology, Faculty Senate, 2013 - 2016
Member, Diagnostic Imaging Promotion & Tenure Committee, 2013 - Present
Member, Body Imaging Quality Improvement Committee, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, 2010 - 2010
Member, Body Imaging Quality Assurance Committee (Peer Review), Department of Diagnostic Radiology, 2008 - Present
Consultant, Cancer Network, São Paulo, Brazil, 2013 - 2017
|2019||Identified for Radiographics - RSNA, Radiological Society of North America|
|2019||Diagnostic Radiology Citizenship Award, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2019||Poster prize: Machine learning and artificial intelligence in oncologic imaging: Potential barriers and solutions, abdominal imager's perspective, International Cancer Imaging Society|
|2019||Recommended Poster - EE-168 - The rich diversity of SMARCB1-deficient tumors: The seminal role of SMARCB1/INI 1 tumor suppressor gene in the pathogenesis of unique malignant rhabdoid tumors, European Society of Gastrointestinal and Abdominal Radiology|
|2018||Certificate of Merit, Educational Exhibit, Hereditary and sporadic pancreatic adenocarcinoma: 2018 genetics and imaging update, Radiological Society of North America|
|2013||Certificate of Merit, Education Exhibit, Pre-operative imaging of hilar cholangiocarcinoma: what the surgeon wants to know, Radiological Society of North America|
|2013||Certificate of Merit, Education Exhibit, The role of intra-operative ultrasound in oncologic therapy, Radiological Society of North America|
|2011||Certificate of Merit, High-resolution MR imaging of cervical cancer, Radiological Society of North America|
|2011||Certificate of Merit, Role of the high-resolution MRI, Radiological Society of North America|
|2002||Certificate of Merit, Radiological Society of North America|
- Morani AC, Hanafy AK, Marcal LP, Subbiah V, Le O, Bathala TK, Elsayes KM. Imaging of acute abdomen in cancer patients. Abdom Radiol (NY) 45(8):2287-2304, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31758230.
- Bhargava P, Flynt L, Marcal L. Nivolumab-induced subcutaneous fat necrosis: another FDG-avid immune-related adverse event. Clin Nucl Med 45(2):125-126, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31789905.
- Tran Cao HS, Marcal LP, Mason MC, Yedururi S, Joechle K, Wei SH, Vauthey JN. Benign hepatic incidentalomas. Curr Probl Surg 56(9):100642, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31585553.
- Devine C, Viswanathan C, Faria S, Marcal L, Sagebiel TL. Imaging and staging of cervical cancer. Semin Ultrasound CT MR 40(4):280-286, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31375168.
- Yedururi S, Kang H, Cox VL, Chawla S, Le O, Loyer EM, Marcal L. Tumor thrombus in the venous drainage pathways of primary, recurrent and metastatic disease on routine oncologic imaging studies: Beyond hepatocellular and renal cell carcinomas. Br J Radiol 92(1098):20180478, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30844299.
- Goumard C, Marcal LP, Wang WL, Somaiah N, Okuno M, Roland CL, Tzeng CD, Chun YS, Feig BW, Vauthey JN, Conrad C. Long-term survival according to histology and radiologic response to preoperative chemotherapy in 126 patients undergoing resection of Non-GIST sarcoma liver metastases. Ann Surg Oncol 25(1):107-116, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29116489.
- Yedururi S, Kang HC, Wei W, Wagner-Bartak NA, Marcal LP, Stafford RJ, Willis BJ, Szklaruk J. Free-breathing radial volumetric interpolated breath-hold examination vs breath-hold cartesian volumetric interpolated breath-hold examination magnetic resonance imaging of the liver at 1.5T. World J Radiol 8(7):707-15, 2016. PMID: 27551341.
- Marcal LP, Fox PS, Evans DB, Fleming JB, Varadhachary GR, Katz MH, Tamm EP. Analysis of free-form radiology dictations for completeness and clarity for pancreatic cancer staging. Abdom Imaging 40(7):2391-7, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25906341.
- Volpato R, Castro C, Hadad D, Ribeiro F, Filho E, Marcal LP. Nosocomial rapidly growing mycobacterial infections following laparoscopic surgery: CT imaging findings. Eur Radiol 25(9):2797-2804, 2015. PMID: 25773938.
- Rauch GM, Kaur H, Choi H, Ernst RD, Klopp AH, Boonsirikamchai P, Westin SN, Marcal LP. Optimization of MR imaging for pretreatment evaluation of patients with endometrial and cervical cancer. Radiographics 34(4):1082-98, 2014. PMID: 25019443.
- Almeida MF, Patnana M, Korivi BR, Kalhor N, Marcal L. Ewing sarcoma of the kidney: a rare entity. Case Rep Radiol 2014:283902, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24523977.
- Peungjesada S, Aloia TA, Kaur H, Marcal L, Choi H, Vauthey JN, Loyer EM. Intrabiliary growth of colorectal liver metastasis: spectrum of imaging findings and implications for surgical management. AJR Am J Roentgenol 201(4):W582-9, 2013. PMID: 24059396.
- Tamm EP, Bhosale PR, Vikram R, de Almeida Marcal LP, Balachandran A. Imaging of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: state of the art. World J Radiol 5(3):98-105, 2013. PMID: 23671746.
- Marcal LP, Patnana M, Bhosale P, Bedi DG. Intraoperative abdominal ultrasound in oncologic imaging. World J Radiol 5(3):51-60, 2013. PMID: 23671741.
- Yang T, Pandya A, Marcal L, Bude RO, Platt JF, Bedi DG, Elsayes KM. Sonohysterography: principles, technique and role in diagnosis of endometrial pathology. World J Radiol 5(3):81-7, 2013. PMID: 23671744.
- Marcal L, Nothaft MA, Coelho F, Volpato R, Iyer R. Mullerian duct anomalies: MR imaging. Abdom Imaging 36(6):756-764, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21207225.
- Tan CH, Vikram R, Boonsirikamchai P, Bhosale P, Marcal L, Faria S, Charnsangavej C. Extramural venous invasion by gastrointestinal malignancies: CT appearances. Abdom Imaging 36(5):491-502, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21184063.
- Tan CH, Tamm EP, Marcal L, Balachandran A, Charnsangavej C, Vikram R, Bhosale P. Imaging features of hematogenous metastases to the pancreas: pictorial essay. Cancer Imaging 11:9-15, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21367687.
- Marcal L, Nothaft MA, Coelho F, Choi H. Deep pelvic endometriosis: MR imaging. Abdom Imaging 35(6):708-715, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20390267.
- Bose D, Tamm E, Liu J, Marcal L, Balachandran A, Bhosale P, Fleming JB, Lee JE, Evans DB, Hwang RF. Multidisciplinary management strategy for incidental cystic lesions of the pancreas. J Am Coll Surg 211(2):205-215, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20670858.
- Ozkan E, Balachandran A, Bhosale PR, Tamm EP, Marcal LP, Szklaruk J. Pictorial essay: multimodality imaging of metastases from pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Clin Imaging 34(4):277-287, 2010. PMID: 20630340.
- Tan CH, Marcal L, Tan D, Patnana M. Magnetic resonance imaging diagnosis of iron overload in a leukemic patient after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Transfusion 50(5):1113-1117, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20070618.
- Vikram R, Balachandran A, Bhosale PR, Tamm EP, Marcal LP, Charnsangavej C. Pancreas: peritoneal reflections, ligamentous connections, and pathways of disease spread. Radiographics 29(2):e34, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19168761.
- Schenberg LC, Marçal LP, Seeberger F, Barros MR, Sudré EC. L-type calcium channels selectively control the defensive behaviors induced by electrical stimulation of dorsal periaqueductal gray and overlying collicular layers. Behav Brain Res 111(1-2):175-185, 2000. PMID: 10840143.
- Khanna L, Prasad S, Yedururi S, Marcal LP, Kumaresan S, Menias C, Katabathina V. Second malignancies after radiotherapy: current update on pathogenesis and cross-sectional imaging findings. Radiographics.
- Jo N, Marcal L, Katabathina VS, Morani AC, Reachamallu M, Prasad S, Yedururi S. Temporal evolution of metastatic disease in oncologic imaging studies: an in-depth review and practical applications. Eur J Radiol.
- Marcal LP, Patnana M, Yedururi S, Chuang HH, Devine CE, Cox V, Dasari A, Loyer E. Abdominal manifestations of neuroendocrine tumors. Dig Dis Interv 3(1):014-029, 2019. e-Pub 2019.
- Tamm EP, Balachandran A, Bhosale P, Marcal LP. Primary pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Appl Radiol 37(6):26-34, 2008.
- Tran Cao HS, Marcal LP, Mason MC, Yedururi S, Joechle K, Wei SH, Vauthey JN. In Brief. Curr Probl Surg 56(9):100643. e-Pub 2019.
- Yedururi S, Morani AC, Jo N, Marcal LP, Surasi DSS, Ramani NS, Katabathina VS, Prasad SR. The molecular subtypes of pheochromocytoma and paragangliomas (PPGLs): the cancer genome atlas transcriptome data derived taxonomic scheme and 2017 WHO classification system. 105th Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America, 2019.
- Khanna L, Parameswaran AM, Yedururi S, Tirumani S, Marcal LP, Sandrasegaran K, Menias CO, Prasad SR, Katabathina VS. Radiation-induced malignancies: current update on pathogenesis and cross-sectional imaging findings. 105th Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America, 2019.
- Morani AC, Prasad A, Shinagare AB, Marcal LP, Ramani NS, Katabathina VS. Chromophobe renal cell carcinoma: a reappraisal of classic variant, hereditary, and hybrid forms. 105th Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America, 2019.
- Yedururi S, Katabathina VS, Jo N, Rachamallu M, Prasad S, Marcal L. Machine learning and artificial intelligence in oncologic imaging. International Cancer Imaging Society, 2019.
- Rauch GM, Marcal LP. High resolution MRI technique for pretreatment staging of the cervical cancer. Society of Abdominal Radiology Annual Meeting, 2017.
- Rauch GM, Ernst RE, Marcal LP, Choi H, Chang GJ, You YN, Skibber J, Rodriguez-Bigas M, Kaur H. Role of the high-resolution MRI in the presurgical evaluation of low rectal tumors. Proceedings of the Radiological Society of North America Annual Meeting, 2011.
- Wagner-Bartak N, Marcal LP, Garg N, Szklaruk J. Imaging of extrahepatic bile duct cancer: implications of the revised AJCC staging classification. AJR Am J Roentenol 196(Supplement 5), 2011.
- Marcal LP, Rauch GM, Kaur H, Ernst RE. High-resolution MR imaging of cervical cancer. Proceedings of the Radiological Society of North America Annual Meeting, 2011.
- Rauch GM, Marcal LP, Ernst RE, Boonsirikamchai P, Klopp A, Choi H, Kaur H. Optimization of high-resolution MRI techniques for pretreatment staging of the cervical and endometrial cancer. Proceedings of the Radiological Society of North America Annual Meeting, 2011.
- Bhosale P, Balachandran A, Marcal LP, Vikram R, Tamm E. Imaging findings after whipple surgery. Proceedings of the American Roentgen Ray Society Annual Meeting, 2008.
- Okan E, Balachandran A, Bhosale P, Marcal LP, Vikram R, Tamm E. Multimodality imaging of metastases from pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma. Proceedings of the American Roentgen Ray Society Annual Meeting, 2008.
- Bedi D, Patnana M, Gonzalez-de Luna MA, Viswanathan C, Bhosale P, Ernst RD, Bronstein Y, Balachandran A, LePetross C, Devine C, Marcal LP, Vikram K, Lem KW. Ovarian cancer screening: unveiling the corpus luteum and other actors - how to sort them out. AJR Am J Roentenol 190(4 Supplement - E246), 2008.
- Marcal LP, Nothaft M, Baptista R, Rodrigues M, Volpato R, Coelho F. MR imaging of mulerian duct anomalies. Proceedings of the Radiological Society of North America Annual Meeting, 2006.
- Mastromatteo JF, Mastromatteo MR, Marcal LP, Longo JM, Papachristopoulos G, Pattekar MA. Ultrafast MRI: the ninety second lumbar spine protocol. Radiology 217(Supplemental):471, 2000.
- Marcal LP, Nothaft M. Magnetic resonance imaging for the diagnosis of female genital anomalies. In: Female genital tract congenital malformations. Springer London, 99-111, 2015.
- Ganesan K, Morani AC, Marcal LP, Bhosale PR, Elsayes KM. Cross-sectional imaging of the uterus. In: Cross-sectional imaging of the abdomen and pelvis - a practical algorithmic approach. 1. Springer-Verlag New York, 875-936, 2015.
- Ballester-Ortiz G, Marcal L, Viswanathan C, Szklaruk J. Computer tomography. In: Biliary Tract and Gallbladder Cancer: A Multidisciplinary Approach. 2nd. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 167-200, 2014.
- Szklaruk J, Javle M, Abdalla EK, Marcal L, Krishnan S. Cholangiocarcinoma. In: Oncologic Imaging: A Multidisciplinary Approach. Elsevier: Philadelphia, PA, 121-151, 2012.
- Tamm EP, Balachandran A, Bhosale P, Marcal LP. MRI/MRCP of pancreatic cancer. In: Pancreatic Cancer. 1st Edition. Springer: New York, 731-761, 2010.
- Marcal L, Szklaruk J, Viswanathan C. Computed tomography. In: Biliary Tract and Gallbladder Cancer: Diagnosis and Therapy. Demos Medical Publishing: New York, 141-166, 2008.
- Kang HC, Yedururi S, Cox VL, Marcal L. Computed tomography. In: Biliary Tract and Gallbladder Cancer: A Multidisciplinary Approach. 3rd.
- Marcal LP, Chuang H, Tran Cao HS, Halperin DM,. Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors. In: Oncologic Imaging, A Multidisciplinary Approach. Elsevier: Philadephia, PA.