About Dr. Cohen
Dr. Lorenzo Cohen is the Richard E. Haynes Distinguished Professor in Clinical Cancer Prevention and Director of the Integrative Medicine Program at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center (Houston) and Distinguished Clinical Professor, Fudan University Cancer Hospital, Shanghai, China. Dr. Cohen is a founding member and past president of the international Society for Integrative Oncology.
Dr. Cohen is passionate about educating others on how to prevent cancer and maintain optimal health across the lifespan. As the majority of cancers are preventable, Dr. Cohen is conducting research to demonstrate that lifestyle factors can influence cancer outcomes.
Dr. Cohen leads a team conducting NIH-funded research and delivering clinical care of integrative medicine practices such as meditation, yoga, tai chi, massage, diet, exercise, acupuncture and other strategies such as stress management, music therapy, emotional writing and more aimed at reducing the negative aspects of cancer treatment and improving quality of life and clinical outcomes.
Professor, Department of Department of Palliative, Rehabilitation, and Integrative Medicine, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor, Department of Behavioral Science, Division of Division of Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Adjunct Professor, Department of Behavioral Sciences, University of Texas, School of Public Health, Houston, TX
Distinguished Clinical Professor, Fudan University Cancer Hospital, Shanghai
|1994||Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD, USA, PHD, Medical Psychology|
|1993||Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Bethesda, MD, USA, MS, Medical Psychology|
|1987||Reed College, Portland, OR, USA, BA, Psychology|
Professor, Department of General Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2015
Chief, Department of Section of Integrative Medicine, Department of Palliative Care and Rehabilitation Medicine, Division of Cancer Medicine, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2002 - Present
Director, Department of Integrative Medicine Program, Division of Cancer Medicine, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2002 - Present
|2011||Faculty Poster Award, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center Cancer Survivorship Research Symposium|
|2011||Shanghai Gold Magnolia Memorial Award, Shanghai Municipal People's Government|
|2008||Shanghai Silver Magnolia Memorial Award, Shanghai Municipal People’s Government|
|2007||International Scientific and Technological Cooperation Award of Shanghai Municipality, Shanghai Municipal People's Government|
|2007||Distinguished Clinical Professor, Fudan University Cancer Hospital|
|2004||Academy of Behavioral Medicine Research|
|1994||Postdoctoral Research Fellowship, National Cancer Institute of Canada|
- Ratcliff CG, Cohen L, Pettaway CA, Parker PA. Treatment regret and quality of life following radical prostatectomy. Support Care Cancer 21(12):3337-43, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23907238.
- Parker, P, Urbauer,D, Fisch,M, Fellman,B, Hough,H, Miller, J, Lanzotti,V, Whisnant, M, Weiss, M, Fellenz, L, Bury, M, Kokx, P, Finn, K, Daily, M, Cohen, L. A Multi-site, Community Oncology-Based Randomized Trial of a brief educational intervention to increase communication regarding complementary and alternative medicine. Cancer 119(19):3514-22, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23824945.
- Gao Y, Li HX, Xu LT, Wang P, Xu LY, Cohen L, Yang PY, Gu K, Meng ZQ. Bufalin enhances the anti-proliferative effect of sorafenib on human hepatocellular carcinoma cells through downregulation of ERK. Mol Biol Rep 39(2):1683-9, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21617941.
- Milbury K, Tannir NM, Cohen L. Treatment-Related Optimism Protects Quality of Life in a Phase II Clinical Trial for Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma. Ann Behav Med 42(3):313-20, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21822749.
- Wang L, Raju U, Milas L, Molkentine D, Zhang Z, Yang P, Cohen L, Meng Z, Liao Z. Huachansu, Containing Cardiac Glycosides, Enhances Radiosensitivity of Human Lung Cancer Cells. Anticancer Res 31(6):2141-2148, 2011. PMID: 21737634.
- Cohen L, Parker PA, Vence L, Savary C, Kentor D, Pettaway C, Babaian R, Pisters L, Miles B, Wei Q, Wiltz L, Patel T, Radvanyi L. Pre-surgical stress management improves post-operative immune function in men with prostate cancer undergoing radical prostatectomy. Psychosom Med 73(3):218-25, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21257977.
- Li H, Wang P, Gao Y, Zhu X, Liu L, Cohen L, Meng Z, Yang P. Na+/K+-ATPase a3 mediates sensitivity of hepatocellular carcinoma cells to bufalin. Oncol Rep 25(3):825-30, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21181095.
- Cohen L, Zhen Chen , Arun B, Zhimin Shao , Dryden M, Linhhui Xu , Le-Petross C, Dogan B, McKenna BJ, Markman M, Babiera G. External Qigong therapy for women with breast cancer prior to surgery. Integr Cancer Ther 9(4):348-353, 2010. PMID: 21106615.
- Chandwani KD, Thornton B, Perkins GH, Arun B, Raghuram NV, Nagendra HR, Wei Q, Cohen L. Yoga improves quality of life and benefit finding in women undergoing radiotherapy for breast cancer. J Soc Integr Oncol 8(2):43-55, 2010. PMID: 20388445.
- Jones D, Vichaya EG, Cleeland CS, Cohen L, Thekdi SM, Wang XS, Fisch MJ. Screening for depressed mood in patients with cancer using the M.D. Anderson Symptom Inventory: investigation of a practical approach for the oncologist. J Oncol Pract. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24281151.
- Biegler K, Cohen L, Scott S, Hitzhusen K, Parker P, Gilts CD, Canada A, Pisters L. The role of religion and spirituality in psychological distress prior to surgery for urologic cancer. Integr Cancer Ther. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21964511.
- Meng Z, Garcia MK, Hu C, Chiang J, Chambers M, Rosenthal DI, Peng H, Zhang Y, Zhao Q, Zhao G, Liu L, Spelman A, Palmer JL, Wei Q, Cohen L. Randomized controlled trial of acupuncture for prevention of radiation-induced xerostomia among patients with nasopharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22072272.
- Chien CR, Su SY, Cohen L, Lin HW, Lee RT, Shih YC. Use of Chinese Medicine Among Survivors of Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma in Taiwan: A Population-Based Study. Integr Cancer Ther. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21498473.
- Chandwani KD, Chaoul-Reich A, Cohen L. The role of yoga in breast cancer. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 17:330-331, 2007.
- Cohen L, Gerner J, Baile WB. Complementary programs for patients with cancer: Implications for quality of life, treatment response, and survival. The Lancet Oncology 1:55-56, 2000.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Cohen L. *CD: Important Conversations: Complementary Therapies. What You Must Ask and Why. Copyright 2005*. Video series can be seen at MD Anderson Cancer Center Complementary/Integrative Medicine Education Resource (CIMER) website. *The video series won the International Health & Medical Media Awards (FREDDIE award) in the category of Health & Wellness, 2005.
- Cohen L. *CD: Patients talk about... Complementary Therapies and Cancer, 2003.
- Cohen L. *CD: Important Conversations: Talking With Patients about Complementary Therapies, 2003.
- Ulbricht C, Cohen L, Lee R. Complementary, Alternative, and Integrative Therapies in Cancer Care. In: CANCER: Principles & practice of oncology. 9th Edition. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins: Baltimore, 2550-2561, 2011.
- Cohen L, Russell N, Garcia K, Frenkel M. The Role of Integrative Oncology in Cancer Care. In: Cancer Medicine. 8. People's Medical Publishing House-USA: Shelton, 846-853, 2010.
- Basch E, Ulbricht C, Cohen L, Frenkel M. Complementary, alternative, and integrative therapies. In: Cancer principles and practice of oncology. 8. Wolters Kulwer, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: Philadephia, 2949-2963, 2008.
- Russell N, Cohen L. Integrative and alternative medicine and palliative medicine. In: Palliative Medicine. Arnold Publishing: London, United Kingdom, 896-902, 2006.
Books (edited and written)
- Cohen L, Markman M. Integrative Oncology: Incorporating Complementary Medicine into Conventional Cancer Care. Humana Press: Totowa, NJ, 2008.
- Frenkel M, Cohen L. Integrative Medicine in Oncology: Hematology/Oncology Clinics of North America. 4. Elsevier, Inc: Philadelphia, 2008.
|Title:||Effects of Tibetan yoga on fatigue and sleep in cancer|
|Title:||Biobehavioral effects of Qigong during treatment for rectal cancer|
|Title:||Placebo controlled trial of acupuncture to prevent radiation-induced xerostomia|
|Title:||Yoga for Women with Breast Cancer Undergoing Radiotherapy|
|Title:||Neural function, neuromodulation, and chronic cancer pain|
|Funding Source:||American Cancer Society (ACS)|
|Title:||Effects of Meditation on Cognitive Function and Quality of Life in Cancer|
|Funding Source:||Sister Institution Network Fund|
|Title:||Chemotherapy and Mindfulness Relaxation: A Randomized Trial at MD Anderson Cancer Center Community Clinical Oncology Program|