About Dr. McNeill
Lorna H. McNeill, PhD, MPH, is Professor and Chair in the Department of Health Disparities at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Dr. McNeill's research is on the elimination of cancer-related health disparities in minority populations. Her research has particular emphasis on understanding the influence of social contextual determinants of cancer in minorities, with a special focus of the role of physical activity as a key preventive behavior and obesity as a major cancer determinant. Her research takes place in minority and underserved communities such as public housing developments, black churches, community-based clinics and low-income neighborhoods-communities with excess cancer death rates. She has been continuously funded, receiving grants from various funding agencies (i.e., National Institutes of Health, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, etc.), to better understand and design innovative solutions to address obesity in racial/ethnic minority communities. She is PI of several community-based studies, primarily working with African American churches. One is a called
Project CHURCH, an academic-faith-based partnership established to: 1) identify underlying reasons for health disparities in cancer and cancer risk factors (e.g., screening, diet) among AAs using a cohort study (N=2400), 2) engage AAs as partners in the research process, and 3) to ultimately eliminate disparities among AAs. In 2014 Dr. McNeill furthered her partnership through the Faith, Health, and Family (FHF) Collaborative. To date we have 50 churches as members. Dr. McNeill is also director of the Center for Community-Engaged Translational Research (CCETR) at MD Anderson. CCETR works with MD Anderson faculty to develop collaborations with underserved communities with a focus on conducting high-quality, relevant cancer prevention research.
|2004||Saint Louis University, Saint Louis, MO, USA, PhD, Public Health Studies - Behavioral Science|
|1999||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA, MPH, Health Behavior and Health Education|
|1995||University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Chapel Hill, NC, USA, BA, Afro-American Studies and Industrial Relations|
|2004-2006||Postdoctoral Fellowship, Harvard University School of Public Health, Boston, MA|
Associate Professor, Department of Health Disparities Research, Division of OVP, Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2012 - 2019
Assistant Professor, Department of Health Disparities Research, Division of OVP, Cancer Prevention and Population Sciences, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2006 - 2012
Director, Center for Community-Engaged Translational Research, Houston, TX, 2010 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Committee Member, Epidemiology Chair Search Committee, 2017 - 2017
Faculty Achievement Award Review Committee, Faculty Senate, 2014 - 2016
Co-Chair, Health Disparities Research Faculty Search Committee, 2012 - 2013
Steering Committee Member, Mexican American Cohort Study, 2012 - Present
Shared and videotaped personal experiences and/or advice for viewers of the online companion for new faculty, Faculty Companion, 2011 - Present
Senator (departmental representative), University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Ctr. Faculty Senate Committee, 2011 - 2014
Member, Psychosocial, Behavioral, and Health Services Research Committee (PBHSRC), 2007 - 2010
|2017||Faculty Excellence Award in Network Development, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center|
|2014||Executive Development Leadership Seminar for Interim and Aspiring Leaders, AAMC, 2014, AAMC|
|2011||2011 NIH Training Institute for Dissemination and Implementation Research in Health, NIH (Competitively Selected)|
|2011||The 2011 Julie and Ben Rogers Award for Excellence (Competitively Awarded), The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center|
|2008||Excellent Review Award, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center|
|2006||Fellow, Physical Activity and Public Health Research Course, University of South Carolina Prevention Research Center and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Competitively Awarded)|
|2005||Fellow, Cancer Culture and Literacy Institute, H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute, NCI (Competitively Selected)|
|2005||Scholar, National Center on Minority Health and Health Disparities, NIH loan repayment program for Health Disparities Research (Competitively Awarded)|
|2004||Inducted into Delta Omega, the Honorary Public Health Society, Alpha Delta Chapter, Saint Louis University|
|2000||Traineeship, Eliminating Health Disparities, Saint Louis University|
- Lee RE, Soltero EG, Ledoux TA, Sahnoune I, Saavadra F, Mama S, McNeill LH. Sustainability via Active Garden Education: Translating Policy to Practice in Early Care and Education. Journal of School Health, 2019. PMID: 30723904.
- Cho D, Nguen NT, Strong LL, WU IC, John JC, Escoto KH, Wetter DW, McNeill LH. Multiple Health Behaviors Engagement in an African American Cohort: Clustering Patterns and Correlates. Health Education & Behavior, 2019. PMID: 30776919.
- Reitzel LR, Childress SD, Obasi EM, Garey L, Vidrine DJ, McNeill LH, Zvolensky MJ. Interactive Effects of Anxiety Sensitivity and Subjective Social Status on Psychological Symptomatology in Black Adults. Behav Med 43(4):0, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26963636.
- Heredia NI, Krasny S, Strong LL, Von Hatten L, Nguyen L, Reininger BM, McNeill LH, Fernández ME. Community perceptions of biobanking participation: A qualitative study among Mexican-Americans in three Texas cities. Public Health Genomics 20(1):46-57, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27926908.
- Maness S, Reitzel LR, Watkins, KL, & McNeill, LH. HPV Awareness, Knowledge and Vaccination Attitudes among Church-going African American Women. American Journal of Health Behavior(40):771-778, 2016. PMID: 27779945.
- Zanetti KA, Wang Z, Aldrich M, Amos CI, Blot WJ, Bowman ED, Burdette L, Cai Q, Caporaso N, Chung CC, Gillanders EM, Haiman CA, Hansen HM, Henderson BE, Kolonel LN, Marchand LL, Li S, McNeill LH, Ryan BM, Schwartz AG, Sison JD, Spitz MR, Tucker M, Wenzlaff AS, Wiencke JK, Wilkens L, Wrensch MR, Wu X, Zheng W, Zhou W, Christiani D, Palmer JR, Penning TM, Rieber AG, Rosenberg L, Ruiz-Narvaez EA, Su L, Vachani A, Wei Y, Whitehead AS, Chanock SJ, Harris CC. Genome-wide association study confirms lung cancer susceptibility loci on chromosomes 5p15 and 15q25 in an African-American population. Lung Cancer 98:33-42, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27393504.
- Mama SK, Li Y, Basen-Engquist K, Lee RE, Thompson D, Wetter DW, Nguyen NT, Reitzel LR, McNeill LH. Psychosocial Mechanisms Linking the Social Environment to Mental Health in African Americans. PLoS One 11(4):e0154035, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27119366.
- McNeill LH, Murguiaa K, Nguyen N, Taylor WC. Walking trail use among a sample of black, white, Hispanic and Asian adult walkers. Journal of Physical Activity and Health 12 Suppl 1:S31-9, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25155909.
- Watkins KL, Reitzel LR, Wetter DW, McNeill LH. HPV Awareness, Knowledge and Attitudes among Older African-American Women. Am J Health Behav 39(2):205-211, 2015. PMID: 25564833.
- Mama SK, McNeill LH, McCurdy SA, Evans AE, Diamond PM, Adamus-Leach HJ, Lee RE. Psychosocial factors and theory in physical activity studies in minorities. Am J Health Behav 39(1):68-76, 2015. PMID: 25290599.
- Jauregui E, Pacheco AM, Soltero EG, O'Connor TM, Castro CM, Estabrooks PA, McNeill LH, Lee RE. Using the RE-AIM framework to evaluate physical activity public health programs in México. BMC Public Health 15:162, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25881249.
- Hoover DS, Vidrine JI, Shete S, Spears CA, Cano MA, Correa-Fernández V, Wetter DW, McNeill LH. Health literacy, smoking, and health indicators in African American adults. Journal Health Communication 20 Suppl 2:24-33, 2015. PMID: 26513028.
- Wang Z, Zhu B, Zhang M, Parikh H, Jia J, Chung CC, Sampson JN, Hoskins JW, Hutchinson A, Burdette L, Ibrahim A, Hautman C, Raj PS, Abnet CC, Adjei AA, Ahlbom A, Albanes D, Allen NE, Ambrosone CB, Aldrich M, Amiano P, Amos C, Andersson U, Andriole G, Andrulis IL, Arici C, Arslan AA, Austin MA, Baris D, Barkauskas DA, Bassig BA, Beane Freeman LE, Berg CD, Berndt SI, Bertazzi PA, Biritwum RB, Black A, Blot W, Boeing H, Boffetta P, Bolton K, Boutron-Ruault MC, Bracci PM, Brennan P, Brinton LA, Brotzman M, Bueno-de-Mesquita HB, Buring JE, Butler MA, Cai Q, Cancel-Tassin G, Canzian F, Cao G, Caporaso NE, Carrato A, Carreon T, Carta A, Chang GC, Chang IS, Chang-Claude J, Che X, Chen CJ, Chen CY, Chen CH, Chen C, Chen KY, Chen YM, Chokkalingam AP, Chu LW, Clavel-Chapelon F, Colditz GA, Colt JS, Conti D, Cook MB, Cortessis VK, Crawford ED, Cussenot O, Davis FG, De Vivo I, Deng X, Ding T, Dinney CP, Di Stefano AL, Diver WR, Duell EJ, Elena JW, Fan JH, Feigelson HS, Feychting M, Figueroa JD, Flanagan AM, Fraumeni JF, Freedman ND, Fridley BL, Fuchs CS, Gago-Dominguez M, Gallinger S, Gao YT, Gapstur SM, Garcia-Closas M, Garcia-Closas R, Gastier-Foster JM, Gaziano JM, Gerhard DS, Giffen CA, Giles GG, Gillanders EM, Giovannucci EL, Goggins M, Gokgoz N, Goldstein AM, Gonzalez C, Gorlick R, Greene MH, Gross M, Grossman HB, Grubb R, Gu J, Guan P, Haiman CA, Hallmans G, Hankinson SE, Harris CC, Hartge P, Hattinger C, Hayes RB, He Q, Helman L, Henderson BE, Henriksson R, Hoffman-Bolton J, Hohensee C, Holly EA, Hong YC, Hoover RN, Hosgood HD, Hsiao CF, Hsing AW, Hsiung CA, Hu N, Hu W, Hu Z, Huang MS, Hunter DJ, Inskip PD, Ito H, Jacobs EJ, Jacobs KB, Jenab M, Ji BT, Johansen C, Johansson M, Johnson A, Kaaks R, Kamat AM, Kamineni A, Karagas M, Khanna C, Khaw KT, Kim C, Kim IS, Kim JH, Kim YH, Kim YC, Kim YT, Kang CH, Jung YJ, Kitahara CM, Klein AP, Klein R, Kogevinas M, Koh WP, Kohno T, Kolonel LN, Kooperberg C, Kratz CP, Krogh V, Kunitoh H, Kurtz RC, Kurucu N, Lan Q, Lathrop M, Lau CC, . Imputation and subset-based association analysis across different cancer types identifies multiple independent risk loci in the TERT-CLPTM1L region on chromosome 5p15.33. Hum Mol Genet 23(24):6616-33, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25027329.
- Bhatia G, Tandon A, Patterson N, Aldrich MC, Ambrosone CB, Amos C, Bandera EV, Berndt SI, Bernstein L, Blot WJ, Bock CH, Caporaso N, Casey G, Deming SL, Diver WR, Gapstur SM, Gillanders EM, Harris CC, Henderson BE, Ingles SA, Isaacs W, De Jager PL, John EM, Kittles RA, Larkin E, McNeill LH, Millikan RC, Murphy A, Neslund-Dudas C, Nyante S, Press MF, Rodriguez-Gil JL, Rybicki BA, Schwartz AG, Signorello LB, Spitz M, Strom SS, Tucker MA, Wiencke JK, Witte JS, Wu X, Yamamura Y, Zanetti KA, Zheng W, Ziegler RG, Chanock SJ, Haiman CA, Reich D, Price AL. Genome-wide scan of 29,141 African Americans finds no evidence of directional selection since admixture. Am J Hum Genet 95(4):437-44, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25242497.
- Fisher FD, Reitzel LR, Nguyen N, Savoy EJ, Advani PS, Cuevas AG, Vidrine JI, Wetter DW, McNeill LH. Loneliness and Self-rated Health among Church-Attending African Americans. Am J Health Behav 38(4):481-91, 2014. PMID: 24636110.
- Advani PS, Reitzel LR, Nguyen NT, Fisher FD, Savoy EJ, Cuevas AG, Wetter DW, McNeill LH. Financial Strain and Cancer Risk Behaviors among African Americans. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 23(6):967-75, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24740200.
- Savoy EJ, Reitzel LR, Nguyen N, Advani PS, Fisher FD, Wetter DW, Cuevas AG, McNeill LH. Financial strain and self-rated health among black adults. Am J Health Behav 38(3):340-50, 2014. PMID: 24636030.
- Reitzel LR, Regan SD, Nguyen N, Cromley EK, Strong LL, Wetter DW, McNeill LH. Density and proximity of fast food restaurants and body mass index among African-Americans. Am J Public Health 104(1):110-6, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23678913.
- Cuevas AG, Reitzel LR, Adams CE, Cao Y, Nguyen N, Wetter DW, Watkins KL, Regan SD, McNeill LH. Discrimination, affect, and cancer risk factors among African Americans. Am J Health Behav 38(1):31-41, 2014. PMID: 24034678.
- Taylor WC, Kimbro R, Evans G, McNeill LH, Barnes AS. Sedentary behavior, body mass index, and weight loss maintenance among African American women. Ethnicity & Disease 25(1), 2014.
- Cuevas AG, Reitzel LR, Cao Y, Nguyen N, Wetter DW, Adams CE, Watkins KL, Regan SD, McNeill LH. Mediators of discrimination and self-rated health among African Americans. Am J Health Behav 37(6):745-54, 2013. PMID: 24001623.
- Strong LL, Reitzel LR, Wetter DW, McNeill LH. Associations of perceived neighborhood physical and social environments with physical activity and television viewing in African American men and women. Am J Health Promot 27(6):401-9, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23398134.
- Monda KL, Chen GK, Taylor KC, Palmer C, Edwards TL, Lange LA, Ng MC, Adeyemo AA, Allison MA, Bielak LF, Chen G, Graff M, Irvin MR, Rhie SK, Li G, Liu Y, Liu Y, Lu Y, Nalls MA, Sun YV, Wojczynski MK, Yanek LR, Aldrich MC, Ademola A, Amos CI, Bandera EV, Bock CH, Britton A, Broeckel U, Cai Q, Caporaso NE, Carlson CS, Carpten J, Casey G, Chen WM, Chen F, Chen YD, Chiang CW, Coetzee GA, Demerath E, Deming-Halverson SL, Driver RW, Dubbert P, Feitosa MF, Feng Y, Freedman BI, Gillanders EM, Gottesman O, Guo X, Haritunians T, Harris T, Harris CC, Hennis AJ, Hernandez DG, McNeill LH, Howard TD, Howard BV, Howard VJ, Johnson KC, Kang SJ, Keating BJ, Kolb S, Kuller LH, Kutlar A, Langefeld CD, Lettre G, Lohman K, Lotay V, Lyon H, Manson JE, Maixner W, Meng YA, Monroe KR, Morhason-Bello I, Murphy AB, Mychaleckyj JC, Nadukuru R, Nathanson KL, Nayak U, N'diaye A, Nemesure B, Wu SY, Leske MC, Neslund-Dudas C, Neuhouser M, Nyante S, Ochs-Balcom H, Ogunniyi A, Ogundiran TO, Ojengbede O, Olopade OI, Palmer JR, Ruiz-Narvaez EA, Palmer ND, Press MF, Rampersaud E, Rasmussen-Torvik LJ, Rodriguez-Gil JL, Salako B, Schadt EE, Schwartz AG, Shriner DA, Siscovick D, Smith SB, Wassertheil-Smoller S, Speliotes EK, Spitz MR, Sucheston L, Taylor H, Tayo BO, Tucker MA, Van Den Berg DJ, Edwards DR, Wang Z, Wiencke JK, Winkler TW, Witte JS, Wrensch M, Wu X, Yang JJ, Levin AM, Young TR, Zakai NA, Cushman M, Zanetti KA, Zhao JH, Zhao W, Zheng Y, Zhou J, Ziegler RG, Zmuda JM, Fernandes JK, Gilkeson GS, Kamen DL, Hunt KJ, Spruill IJ, Ambrosone CB, Ambs S, Arnett DK, Atwood L, Becker DM, Berndt SI, Bernstein L, Blot WJ, Borecki IB, Bottinger EP, Bowden DW, Burke G, Chanock SJ, Cooper RS, Ding J, Duggan D, Evans MK, Fox C, Garvey WT, Bradfield JP, Hakonarson H, Grant SF, Hsing A, Chu L, Hu JJ, Huo D, Ingles SA, John EM, Jordan JM, Kabagambe EK, Kardia SL, Kittles RA, Goodman PJ, Klein EA, Kolonel LN, Le Marchand L, Liu S, McKnight B, Millikan RC, Mosley TH, Padhukasahasram B, Williams LK, Patel SR, Peters. A meta-analysis identifies new loci associated with body mass index in individuals of African ancestry. Nat Genet 45(6):690-6, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23583978.
- Reitzel LR, Nguyen N, Strong LL, Wetter DW, McNeill LH. Subjective social status and health behaviors among African Americans. Am J Health Behav 37(1):104-11, 2013. PMID: 22943107.
- Lee RE, Soltero EG, Mama SK, Saavedra F, Ledoux TA, McNeill L. Developing a transcultural academic-community partnership to arrest obesity. Int Q Community Health Educ 34(3):215-33, 2013. PMID: 25030103.
- Lee RE, Mama SK, Medina AV, Reese-Smith JY, Banda JA, Layne CS, Baxter M, O'Connor DP, McNeill L, Estabrooks PA. Multiple Measures of Physical Activity, Dietary Habits and Weight Status in African American and Hispanic or Latina Women. Journal Community Health 36(6):1011-23, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21519867.
- Lee RE, Mama SK, Medina A, Orlando Edwards R, McNeill L. SALSA : Saving Lives Staying Active to Promote Physical Activity and Healthy Eating. Journal of Obesity 2011:436509, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21234315.
- Emmons K, Puleo E, McNeill LH, Bennett G, Chan S, Syngal S. Colorectal Cancer Screening Awareness and Intentions Among Low Income, Sociodemographically-Diverse Adults Under Age 50. Cancer Causes Control 19(10):1031-41, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18478340.
- Bennett GG, McNeill LH, Wolin KY, Duncan DT, Puleo E, Emmons KM. Safe To Walk? Neighborhood Safety and Physical Activity Among Public Housing Residents. PLoS Med 4(10):e306, 2007. PMID: 17958465.
- McNeill LH, Puleo E, Bennett GG, Emmons KM. Exploring social contextual correlates of computer ownership and frequency of use among urban, low-income, public housing adult residents. J Med Internet Res 9(4):e35, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 18093903.
- McNeill LH, Kreuter MW, Subramanian SV. Social environment and physical activity: a review of concepts and evidence. Soc Sci Med 63(4)(4):1011-1022, 2006. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 16650513.
- McNeill LH, Wyrwich KW, Brownson RC, Clark EM, Kreuter MW. Individual, social environmental, and physical environmental influences on physical activity among black and white adults: a structural equation analysis. Ann Behav Med 31(1)(1):36-44, 2006. PMID: 16472037.
- Lee RE, Parker NH, Soltero EG, Ledoux TA, Mama SK, McNeill LH. Sustainability via Active Garden Education (SAGE): Results from two feasibility pilot studies. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity.
|Title:||Social contextual determinants of physical activity in black and Latino adults (iMove)|
|Title:||Peer-support motivational interviewing PA intervention for African American women (Project Sister Active)|
|Title:||African American Cancer Prevention Project (Project CHURCH)|
|Funding Source:||University Cancer Foundation|
|Title:||Obesity: Cancer risk among African Americans (Healthy Habits)|
|Funding Source:||Houston Endowment, Inc|
|Title:||National Children's Study - Formative research in diet in mothers with 11 -12 month old infants|
|Funding Source:||NIH/NICHD/Baylor College of Medicine|
|Title:||NIH National Center for Research Resources Clinical and Translational Sciences Award (CTSA): Center for Clinical and Translational Sciences – Community Engagement|
|Title:||Peer Support for Cancer Screening Among African Americans|
|Funding Source:||Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT)|
|Title:||Biological, Environmental and Social Determinants of Early-Onset Breast Cancer|
|Funding Source:||Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT)|
|Title:||Peer Support for Colorectal Cancer Screening Among African Americans|
|Funding Source:||American Cancer Society (ACS)|
|Title:||A Faith-Based Partnership to Address Obesity in African American families|
|Title:||Implementing innovative evidence-based strategies to reduce and prevent obesity in children and adolescents: WeCan Obesity Prevention in Clinics|
|Funding Source:||DSRIP: Centers for Medicaid and CHIP Services|
|Title:||Food Deserts in Houston? Increasing Fruit and Vegetable Consumption to Reduce Cancer Risk|
|Funding Source:||Duncan Family Institute|
|Title:||Administrative Supplements to Strengthen NCI-Supported Community Outreach Capacity through Community Health Educators (CHEs) of the National Outreach Network (NON)|
|Title:||Tu Salud ¡Si Cuenta! Reaching Latino family dyads to increase physical activity and healthy eating|
|Title:||A peer and family-based approach to obesity in African American families|
|Funding Source:||American Cancer Society (ACS)|
|Title:||Replicating Ask Advice Connect|
|Funding Source:||DSRIP: Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services|
|Title:||Active Living After Cancer: Combining a Physical Activity Program with Survivor Navigation|
|Funding Source:||Cancer Prevention & Research Institute of Texas (CPRIT)|
|Title:||2/2 U-HAND (University of Houston /MD Anderson) Program to Reduce Cancer Disparities|
|Title:||A family-based approach to reducing obesity risk among African American families|
|Title:||Training Program to Reduce Breast Cancer Disparities in Black and Hispanic Women|
|Funding Source:||Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation|
|Title:||Engaging Asian Stakeholders to Create a Shared Understanding of Cancer|
|Title:||Quality of Life among African American Prostate Cancer Survivors and Their Partners: A Multi-level Perspective|
|Funding Source:||Department of Defense (DOD)|