About Dr. Duvic
Madeleine Duvic, M.D., I went to Duke to become a clinician scientist interested in T-cell immunology and in translational research. My goal is to understand the pathogenesis of T-cell mediated skin diseases in order to develop novel targeted therapy. I have collaborated with pharmacology to develop protocols and then conduct clinical trials that lead to the registration of new FDA approved agents for cutaneous T-cell lymphoma that include bexarotene (first rexinoid), denileukin diftitox (first targeted fusion toxin), and vorinostat (first histone deacetylase inhibitor). In addition to directing an NIH funded molecular biology lab and a clinical trials research team, I personally have cared for over 2,000 MD Anderson cutaneous T-cell lymphoma patients. I belong to the UT graduate school immunology program. As a past recipient of a K24 award in cutaneous oncology, I continue to actively mentor research fellows, residents, PhDs, and medical students.
Blanche Bender Professorship in Cancer Research, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Deputy Department Chair, Department of Dermatology, Division of Internal Medicine, UTMDACC, Houston, TX
Director of the Research Fellowship Program, Department of Dermatology, Division of Internal Medicine, UTMDACC, Houston, TX
Professor of Medicine and Dermatology (with tenure), Division of Internal Medicine, UTMDACC, Houston, TX
Professor, Department of Division of Epidemiology, Human Genetics & Environmental Sciences, The University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, TX
Professor of Medicine and Dermatology, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston (UTMSH), Houston, TX
- Cutaneous lymphomas and Sezary syndrome
- Skin cancer and melanoma
|1977||Duke University Medical School, Durham, NC, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1973||Rice University, Houston, TX, USA, BA, Biology|
|1984-1985||Research Visiting Fellow, Molecular Genetics, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|1982-1984||Postdoctoral Fellowship, Molecular Genetics & Geriatrics, Duke University, Durham, NC|
|1981-1982||Residency in Internal Medicine, Duke University, Durham, NC|
|1979-1979||Chief Resident, Dermatology, Duke University, Durham, NC|
|1978-1980||Residency in Dermatology, Duke University, Durham, NC|
|1977-1978||Internship in Internal Medicine, Duke University, Durham, NC|
|1982||American Board of Internal Medicine|
|1981||American Board of Dermatology|
|2001||America's Top Doctors, Castle Connolly Medical Ltd|
|1994||Best Doctors in America|
- Duvic M, Bates SE, Piekarz R, Eisch R, Kim YH, Lerner A, Robak T, Samtsov A, Becker JC, McCulloch W, Waksman J, Whittaker S. Responses to Romidepsin in patients with cutaneous T-cell lymphoma and prior treatment with systemic chemotherapy. Leuk Lymphoma 59(4):1-8, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28853310.
- Korta DZ, Christiano AM, Bergfeld W, Duvic M, Ellison A, Fu J, Harris JE, Hordinsky MK, King B, Kranz D, Mackay-Wiggan J, McMichael A, Norris DA, Price V, Shapiro J, Atanaskova Mesinkovska N. Alopecia areata is a medical disease. J Am Acad Dermatol 78(4):832-834, 2018. PMID: 29548423.
- Wohlmuth-Wieser I, Osei JS, Norris D, Price V, Hordinsky MK, Christiano A, Duvic M. Childhood Alopecia Areata-Data from the National Alopecia Areata Registry. Pediatr Dermatol 35(2):164-169, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29334143.
- Lewis DJ, Kim EJ, Duvic M. Image Gallery: Symmetrical whirled eschars on the face in mycosis fungoides. Br J Dermatol 178(3):e224, 2018. PMID: 29595240.
- Jour G, Aung PP, Merrill ED, Curry JL, Tetzlaff MT, Nagarajan P, Ivan D, Prieto VG, Duvic M, Miranda RN, Torres-Cabala CA. Differential expression of CCR4 in primary cutaneous gamma/delta (γ/δ) T cell lymphomas and mycosis fungoides: significance for diagnosis and therapy. J Dermatol Sci 89(1):88-91, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29030090.
- Lewis DJ, Duvic M. Important considerations for legislation banning commercial tanning beds among minors. Clin Dermatol 36(1):104-105, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29241746.
- Mendoza TR, Osei J, Duvic M. The Utility and Validity of the Alopecia Areata Symptom Impact Scale in Measuring Disease-Related Symptoms and their Effect on Functioning. J Investig Dermatol Symp Proc 19(1):S41-S46, 2018. PMID: 29273105.
- Wilmas K, Aria A, Torres-Cabala CA, Lu H, Duvic M. Schnitzler syndrome in a patient with a family history of monoclonal gammopathy. Dermatol Online J 24(1), 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29469761.
- Lewis DJ, Kim YH, Duvic M. Alternate dosing regimens of brentuximab vedotin for CD30+ cutaneous T-cell lymphoma. Br J Dermatol 178(1):302-303, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 28889405.
- Chan WH, Lewis DJ, Hinojosa T, Curry JL, Duvic M. Juvenile mycosis fungoides with large-cell transformation: Successful treatment with psoralen with ultraviolet A light, interferon-alfa, and localized radiation. Pediatr Dermatol 35(1):e13-e16, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29159918.
- Lewis DJ, Holder BB, Duvic M. The "Duvic regimen" for erythrodermic flares secondary to Staphylococcus aureus in mycosis fungoides and Sézary syndrome. Int J Dermatol 57(1):123-124, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29152728.
- Emge DA, Lewis DJ, Aung PP, Duvic M. Eosinophilic infiltrate resembling eosinophilic cellulitis (Wells syndrome) in a patient with mycosis fungoides. Dermatol Online J 24(1), 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29469767.
- Lewis DJ, Talpur R, Huen AO, Tetzlaff MT, Duvic M. Brentuximab Vedotin for Patients With Refractory Lymphomatoid Papulosis: An Analysis of Phase 2 Results. JAMA Dermatol 153(12):1302-1306, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28980004.
- Lewis DJ, Hinojosa T, Chan WH, Wu JH, Duvic M. Successful Suppression of Recurrent Zosteriform Mycosis Fungoides With Maintenance Valacyclovir. Actas Dermosifiliogr. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29499833.
- Lewis DJ, Miranda RN, Oh CW, Hinojosa T, Medeiros LJ, Curry JL, Tetzlaff MT, Torres-Cabala CA, Nagarajan P, Ravandi-Kashani F, Duvic M. Pruritic arthropod bite-like papules in T-cell large granular lymphocytic leukaemia and chronic myelomonocytic leukaemia. Clin Exp Dermatol. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29423961.
- Gru AA, Kim J, Pulitzer M, Guitart J, Battistella M, Wood GS, Cerroni L, Kempf W, Willemze R, Pawade J, Querfeld C, Schaffer A, Pincus L, Tetzlaff M, Duvic M, Scarisbrick J, Porcu P, Mangold AR, Dicaudio DJ, Shinohara M, Hong EK, Horton B, Kim YH. The Use of Central Pathology Review With Digital Slide Scanning in Advanced-stage Mycosis Fungoides and Sézary Syndrome: A Multi-institutional and International Pathology Study. Am J Surg Pathol. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29543675.
- Emge DA, Lewis DJ, Aung PP, Duvic M. How to discern folliculotropic mycosis fungoides from follicular mucinosis using a pediatric case. J Cutan Med Surg:1203475417752366. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29318909.
- Duvic, M. Histone Deacetylase Inhibitors for Cutaneous T-Cell Lymphoma. In: Cutaneous Lymphoma. October. Elsevier: New York, 757-764, 2015.
- Pozadzides J, Duvic M, Pro B. Chapter 9: T-cell lymphomas. In: The MD Anderson Manual of Medical Oncology, 3rd Ed. 3rd. McGraw-Hill, 2014.
- Duvic M. Cutaneous T-cell lymphomas: Mycosis fungoides and Sezary syndrome. In: Lymphoma: Diagnosis and Treatment. Springer: New York, 287-329, 2013.
- Duvic M. Chapter 440: Urticaria, Drug Hypersensitivity Rashes, Nodules and Tumors, and Atrophic Diseases. In: Cecil's Textbook of Internal Medicine. 26th. Elsevier.
Books (edited and written)
- Vahquist A, Duvic M. Retinoids and Carotenoids in Dermatology. Ed(s) Taylor & Frances. Taylor & Frances, 2007.
- Werth VP, Duvic M. Dermatologic Clinics on Medical Dermatology. WB Saunders, Inc, 2001.