Meet Makesha Miggins, M.D.
About Dr. Miggins
Dr. Makesha V. Miggins is a Breast Surgical Oncologist specializing in the surgical treatment of cancer and benign disease of the breast. She earned her medical degree from Wake Forest University School of Medicine in Winston-Salem, NC. She then completed her general surgery residency at the University of Florida College of Medicine in Gainesville, FL. During residency, she completed a two year NIH T32 research fellowship. After residency, she completed a Breast Surgical Oncology fellowship at University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Dr. Miggins currently holds a faculty position as Assistant Professor in the Department of Breast Surgical Oncology at MD Anderson. Dr. Miggins has interest in patient education, breast screening/ risk reduction, surgical management of breast disease, and quality improvement.
|2007||Wake Forest University School of Medicine, Winston-Salem, NC, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2000||Tuskegee University, Tuskegee Institute, Tuskegee, AL, USA, BS, Biology|
|2014-2015||Clinical Fellowship, Breast Surgical Oncology Fellowship, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2009-2011||Research Fellowship, NIH T32 Research Fellow, University of Florida Department of Surgery, Gainesville, FL|
|2007-2008||Internship, General Surgery, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL|
|2007-2014||Clinical Residency, General Surgery, University of Florida College of Medicine, Gainesville, FL|
Assistant Professor, Department of Breast Surgical Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2015 - 2021
Medical Director, Department of HAL-Sugarland/ Woman's Hospital, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Sugarland, TX, 2020 - Present
Research Fellow, University of Florida Department of Surgery, Gainesville, FL, 2009 - 2011
Research Assistant, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Dept. of Medicine and Pathology, Birmingham, AL, 2001 - 2002
Research Assistant, University of Alabama at Birmingham, Dept. of Hematology and Oncology, Birmingham, AL, 2000 - 2000
Research, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine Short Term Training Program, Nashville, TN, 1999 - 1999
Research, Tuskegee University Minority Biomedical Research Support Program, Tuskegee, AL, 1997 - 2000
Research, Alabama A&M University Howard Hughes Medical Institute Research Program, Normal, AL, 1997 - 1997
Substitute Teacher, Eufaula City School System, Eufaula, AL, 1997 - 1999
|2014||Outstanding Teaching Resident Award, University of Florida Department of Surgery|
|2014||Hugh Hill Outstanding Resident Teacher Award, University of Florida College of Medicine|
|2014||Hugh L. Walters Humanitarian Award, University of Florida Department of Surgery|
|2013||Society of Teaching Scholars Resident Award, University of Florida College of Medicine|
|2013||Outstanding Student Teacher Award, University of Florida Department of Surgery|
|2013||Chapman Society Gold Humanism Honor Society, University of Florida College of Medicine|
|2013||Best Clinical Research Abstract Presentation, University of Florida Department of Surgery|
|2012||Outstanding Student Teacher Award, University of Florida Department of Surgery|
|2011||Best Clinical Research Abstract Presentation, University of Florida Department of Surgery|
|2011||Extraordinary Person Feature - The POST, University of Florida College of Medicine Publication|
|2007||Gold Humanism Honor Society, Wake Forest University School of Medicine|
|2007||Adolescent Sickle Cell Disease Program Service Award, Wake Forest University|
|1999||Alpha Kappa Mu Honor Society, Tuskegee University|
|1999||Beta Kappa Chi Scientific Honor Society, Tuskegee University|
|1999||Golden Key Honor Society, Tuskegee University|
|1996||Howard Hughes Medical Institute Bio-Chem Honors Scholar Award, Tuskegee University|
- Elmore LC, Kuerer HM, Barcenas CH, Smith BD, Miggins MV , Lucci A, Caudle AS, Meric-Bernstam F, Hunt KK, Teshome M. Clinical Course of Breast Cancer Patients with Local-Regional Progression During Neoadjuvant Systemic Therapy. Ann Surg Oncol 28(10):5477-5485, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34247335.
- Coroneos CJ, Lin YL, Sidey-Gibbons C, Asaad M, Chin B, Boukovalas S, Roubaud MS, Miggins M , Baumann DP, Offodile AC. Correlation Between Financial Toxicity, Quality of Life, and Patient Satisfaction in an Insured Population of Breast Cancer Surgical Patients: A Single-Institution Retrospective Study. J Am Coll Surg 232(3):253-263, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33316424.
- Park KU, Kyrish K, Yi M, Bedrosian I, Caudle AS, Kuerer HM, Hunt KK, Miggins MV , DeSnyder SM. Opioid use after breast-conserving surgery: prospective evaluation of risk factors for high opioid use. Ann Surg Oncol 27(3):730-735, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31820211.
- Kuerer HM, Rauch GM, Krishnamurthy S, Adrada BE, Caudle AS, DeSnyder SM, Black DM, Santiago L, Hobbs BP, Lucci A, Gilcrease M, Hwang RF, Candelaria RP, Chavez-MacGregor M, Smith BD, Arribas E, Moseley T, Teshome M, Miggins MV , Valero V, Hunt KK, Yang WT. A clinical feasibility trial for identification of exceptional responders in whom breast cancer surgery can be eliminated following neoadjuvant systemic therapy. Ann Surg 267(5):946-951, 2018. PMID: 28549010.
- Tadros AB, Yang WT, Krishnamurthy S, Rauch GM, Smith BD, Valero V, Black DM, Lucci A Jr, Caudle AS, DeSnyder SM, Teshome M, Barcenas CH, Miggins MV , Adrada BE, Moseley T, Hwang RF, Hunt KK, Kuerer HM.. Identification of patients with documented pathologic complete response in the breast after neoadjuvant chemotherarpy for omission of axillary surgery. JAMA Surg 152 7:665-670, 2017.
- Vanzant EL, Ozrazgat-Baslanti T, Liu H, Malik S, Davis R, Lanz J, Miggins MV, Gentile LF, Cuenca A, Cuenca AG, Lottenberg L, Moore FA, Ang DN, Bihorac A, Efron PA. Clostridium difficile Infections after Blunt Trauma: A Different Patient Population?. Surg Infect (Larchmt) 16(4):421-7, 2015. PMID: 23271108.
- Efron PA, Liu H, Lottenberg L, Cuenca AG, Gentile LF, Miggins MV, Bihorac A, Baker HV, Moore FA, Moldawer LL, Ang DN. A genomic analysis of Clostridium difficile infections in blunt trauma patients. J Trauma Acute Care Surg 74(1):334-8, 2013. PMID: 23271108.
- Richards WT, Richards WA, Miggins M, Liu H, Mozingo DW, Ang DN. Predicting resource utilization of elderly burn patients in the baby boomer era. Am J Surg 205(1):29-34, 2013. PMID: 23017253.
- Miggins M, Lottenberg L, Liu H, Moldawer L, Efron P, Ang D. Mopeds and scooters: crash outcomes in a high traffic state. J Trauma 71(1):217-22, 2011. PMID: 21399547.
- Miggins M, Hasan A, Hohmann S, Southwick F, Casella G, Schain D, Liu H, Bihorac A, Moldawer L, Efron P, Ang D. The potential influence of common viral infections diagnosed during hospitalization among critically ill patients in the United States. PLoS One 6(4):e18890, 2011. PMID: 21573031.
- Miggins MV, Krishnamurthy S, Hwang R. Clinicopathologic analysis of encapsulated papillary carcinomas of the breast confirms favorable prognosis. American Society of Breast Surgeons Meeting, 2015.
- Shaw C, Miggins MV, Bhandare N, Lightsey J, Copeland EM, Yeung A, Grobmyer SR,. Targeted, surgeon-directed, single-dose intraoperative radiation therapy for early stage breast cancer. Society of Surgical Oncology 66th Annual Cancer Symposium, 2013.
- Miggins M, Shaw, C. Analysis of socio-demographic disparities in breast. University of Florida Breast Cancer Symposium, 2013.
- Miggins M, Lottenberg L, Liu H, Moldawer L, Efron P, Ang D.. Mopeds and scooters: crash outcomes in a high traffic state. J Trauma 1(1):217-22, 2011. PMID: 21399547.
- Miggins MV, Lottenberg L, Liu H, Moldawer LL, Efton PA, Ang DN. Surgical site infection is associated with patient survival at a hospital level: evidence for systems based intervention. University of Florida Department of Surgery Research Day; Surgical Infection Society Annual Meeting, 2011.
- Miggins M. An emerging cohort of patients with history of bariatric surgery in the ICU. University of Florida Department of Surgery Research Day, 2011.
- Miggins M. An Emerging Cohort of Patients with History of Bariatric Surgery in the ICU. Florida American College of Surgeons, Edward Copeland Resident Paper Competition, 2011.
- Ang D, Lottenberg L, Miggins M, Flynn T, Liu H, Efron P. Severity of illness for elective and non-emergent procedures between trauma and non-trauma centers. Florida American College of Surgeons, Edward Copeland Resident Paper Competition, 2011.
- Miggins M. Timing and intensity of enternal nutrition among the critically injured: does this affect clinical outcomes. Florida Committee on Trauma Resident Paper Competition, 2010.
- Miggins M. Disparities in the treatment of pancreatic cancer in Florida. University of Florida Department of Surgery Research Day, 2010.
- Miggins M. Survey of Pediatrician Management of Vesicoureteral Reflux in North Carolina. Wake Forest University School of Medicine Research Day 2004, 2004.
- Umeda PK, Shiau RP, Miggins MV , Perason G, Caulfied J,. 23 cardiomyopathy in a transgenic mouse model involves antisense transcription of the β myosin heavy chain promoter. J Molecular and Cellular Cardiology 34(7):A16, 2002.