Maria Cabanillas, M.D. on thyroid cancer
About Dr. Cabanillas
Maria E. Cabanillas, M.D. is an Oncologic Endocrinologist at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. She is a tenured Associate Professor and the Faculty Director of Clinical Research in the department of Endocrine Neoplasia at MD Anderson. As a clinician and clinical researcher she treats both early and advanced thyroid cancers, including medullary, differentiated, and anaplastic thyroid cancers. Her research focus is in advanced and aggressive thyroid cancer, with an emphasis that includes molecular targeted therapies and immunotherapy. Dr. Cabanillas serves as the principal investigator on several clinical trials for the treatment of advanced thyroid cancer and is an IRB vice-chair. She has been a member of the International Thyroid Oncology Group (ITOG) since 2012 and is currently on the Board of Directors.
Professor, Department of Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormonal Disorders, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
My research interests include systemic therapy for aggressive thyroid cancers (including anaplastic, poorly differentiated, papillary, follicular and medullary thyroid cancers) with targeted and immunotherapy.
|1998||The University of Puerto Rico Medical School, San Juan, PRI, MD, Medicine|
|2007-2009||Fellowship, Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|1998-2001||Residency, Internal Medicine, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX|
|2009||Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism|
Assistant Professor, Department of General Internal Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2003 - 2007
Instructor, Department of General Internal Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2001 - 2003
Faculty Director of Clinical Research, Department of Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormonal Disorders, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2011 - Present
Member, American Thyroid Association Clinical Affairs Committee, Falls Church, VA, 2013 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Vice-Chair, Institutional Review Board 1, 2013 - 2017
Member, Institutional Review Board 1, 2010 - Present
Member, Clinical Research Committee II, 2003 - 2007
|2014||Fellow of the American College of Endocrinology, American College of Endocrinology|
|2011||James S. and Suzanne Cyrus Scholar Award Finalist, Division of Internal Medicine Research Retreat|
|2010||James S. and Suzanne Cyrus Scholar Award Finalist, Division of Internal Medicine Research Retreat|
|2009||ASCO Cancer Foundation Merit Award, American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)|
|2005||Division of Internal Medicine Research Retreat Award, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
- Sandulache VC, Williams MD, Lai SY, Lu C, William WN, Busaidy NL, Cote GJ, Singh RR, Luthra R, Cabanillas ME. Real-time genomic characterization utilizing circulating cell-free DNA in patients with anaplastic thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid 27(1):81-87, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27785980.
- Xu JY, Murphy WA, Milton DR, Jimenez C, Rao SN, Habra MA, Waguespack SG, Dadu R, Gagel RF, Ying AK, Cabanillas ME, Weitzman SP, Busaidy NL, Sellin RV, Grubbs E, Sherman SI, Hu MI. Bone Metastases and Skeletal-Related Events in Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 101(12):jc20162815, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27662441.
- Grubbs EG, Williams MD, Scheet P, Vattathil S, Perrier ND, Lee JE, Gagel RF, Hai T, Feng L, Cabanillas ME, Cote GJ. The role of CDKN2C copy number in sporadic medullary thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid 26(11):1553-1562, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27610696.
- Bernstein MB, Chang EL, Amini B, Pan H, Cabanillas M, Wang XA, Allen PK, Rhines LD, Tatsui C, Li J, Brown PD, Ghia AJ. Spine Stereotactic Radiosurgery for Patients with Metastatic Thyroid Cancer: Secondary Analysis of Phase I/II Trials. Thyroid 26(9):1269-75, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27334245.
- Brose MS, Cabanillas ME, Cohen EE, Wirth LJ, Riehl T, Yue H, Sherman SI, Sherman EJ. Vemurafenib in patients with BRAFV600E-positive metastatic or unresectable papillary thyroid cancer refractory to radioactive iodine: a non-randomised, multicentre, open-label, phase 2 trial. Lancet Oncol 17(9):1272-82, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27460442.
- Pezzi TA, Sandulache VC, Pezzi CM, Turkeltaub AE, Feng L, Cabanillas ME, Williams MD, Lai SY. Treatment and survival of patients with insular thyroid carcinoma: 508 cases from the National Cancer Data Base. Head Neck 38(6):906-12, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26843481.
- Schlumberger M, Jarzab B, Cabanillas ME, Robinson B, Pacini F, Ball DW, McCaffrey J, Newbold K, Allison R, Martins RG, Licitra LF, Shah MH, Bodenner D, Elisei R, Burmeister L, Funahashi Y, Ren M, O'Brien JP, Sherman SI. A Phase 2 Trial of the Multi-targeted Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor Lenvatinib (E7080) in Advanced Medullary Thyroid Cancer (MTC). Clin Cancer Res 22(1):44-53, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26311725.
- Cabanillas ME, Schlumberger M, Jarzab B, Martins RG, Pacini F, Robinson B, McCaffrey JC, Shah MH, Bodenner DL, Topliss D, Andresen C, O'Brien JP, Ren M, Funahashi Y, Allison R, Elisei R, Newbold K, Licitra LF, Sherman SI, Ball DW. A phase 2 trial of lenvatinib (E7080) in advanced, progressive, radioiodine-refractory, differentiated thyroid cancer: A clinical outcomes and biomarker assessment. Cancer 121(16):2749-56, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25913680.
- Falchook GS, Millward M, Hong D, Naing A, Piha-Paul S, Waguespack SG, Cabanillas ME, Sherman SI, Ma B, Curtis M, Goodman V, Kurzrock R. BRAF inhibitor dabrafenib in patients with metastatic BRAF-mutant thyroid cancer. Thyroid 25(1):71-7, 2015. PMID: 25285888.
- Cabanillas ME, Brose MS, Holland J, Ferguson KC, Sherman SI. A phase I study of cabozantinib (XL184) in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer. Thyroid 24(10):1508-14, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25102375.
- Dadu R, Devine C, Hernandez M, Waguespack SG, Busaidy NL, Hu MI, Jimenez C, Habra MA, Sellin RV, Ying AK, Cote GJ, Sherman SI, Cabanillas ME. Role of salvage targeted therapy in differentiated thyroid cancer patients who failed first-line sorafenib. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 99(6):2086-94, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24628550.
- Blevins DP, Dadu R, Hu M, Baik C, Balachandran D, Ross W, Gunn B, Cabanillas ME. Aero-digestive Fistula Formation as a Rare Side Effect of Antiangiogenic Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor Therapy for Thyroid Cancer. Thyroid 24(5):918-22, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24635127.
- Holsinger FC, Ramaswamy U, Cabanillas ME, Lang J, Lin HY, Busaidy NL, Grubbs E, Rahim S, Sturgis EM, Lee JE, Weber RS, Clayman GL, Rohren EM. Measuring the Extent of Total Thyroidectomy for Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma Using Radioactive Iodine Imaging: Relationship With Serum Thyroglobulin and Clinical Outcomes. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 140(5):410-5, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24700275.
- Dadu R, Waguespack SG, Sherman SI, Hu MI, Busaidy NL, Jimenez C, Habra MA, Ying AK, Bassett RL, Cabanillas ME. Efficacy and tolerability of different starting doses of sorafenib in patients with differentiated thyroid cancer. Oncologist 19(5):477-82, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24733667.
- Thomas L, Lai SY, Dong W, Feng L, Dadu R, Regone RM, Cabanillas ME. Sorafenib in metastatic thyroid cancer: a systematic review. Oncologist 19(3):251-8, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24563075.
- Kim KB, Cabanillas ME, Lazar AJ, Williams MD, Sanders DL, Ilagan JL, Nolop K, Lee RJ, Sherman SI. Clinical responses to Vemurafenib in Patients with Metastatic Papillary Thyroid Cancer Harboring V600E BRAF mutation. Thyroid 23(10):1277-83, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23489023.
- Carhill AA, Cabanillas ME, Jimenez C, Waguespack SG, Habra MA, Hu M, Ying A, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R, Gagel RF, Sherman SI, Busaidy NL. The Non-investigational Use of Tyrosine Kinase inhibitors in Thyroid Cancer: Establishing a Standard for Patient Safety and Monitoring. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98(1):31-42, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23185034.
- Del Fabbro E, Dev R, Cabanillas ME, Busaidy NL, Rodriguez EC, Bruera E. Extreme hypothyroidism associated with sunitinib treatment for metastatic renal cancer. J Chemother 24(4):221-5, 2012. PMID: 23040687.
- Cabanillas ME, Kantarjian H, Thomas DA, Mattiuzzi GN, Rytting ME, Bruera E, Xiao L, Bekele BN, Foudray MC, Cortes JE. Epoetin alpha decreases the number of erythrocyte transfusions in patients with acute lymphoblastic leukemia, lymphoblastic lymphoma, and Burkitt leukemia/lymphoma: Results of a Randomized Clinical Trial. Cancer 118(3):848-55, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21751205.
- Busaidy NL, Cabanillas ME. Differentiated thyroid cancer: management of patients with radioiodine non-responsive disease. J Thyroid Res 2012:618985, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22530159.
- Hong DS, Cabanillas ME, Wheler J, Naing A, Tsimberidou AM, Ye L, Busaidy NL, Waguespack SG, Hernandez M, El Naggar AK, El Naggar AK, Bidyasar S, Wright J, Sherman SI, Kurzrock R. Inhibition of the Ras/Raf/MEK/ERK and RET kinase pathways with the combination of the multikinase inhibitor sorafenib and the farnesyltransferase inhibitor tipifarnib in medullary and differentiated thyroid malignancies. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96(4):997-1005, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21289252.
- Cabanillas ME, Waguespack SG, Bronstein Y, Williams MD, Feng L, Hernandez M, Lopez A, Sherman SI, Busaidy NL. Treatment with Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors for Patients with Differentiated Thyroid Cancer the M.D. Anderson Experience (selected for editorial in Nature Reviews and J Clin Endocrinol Metab). J Clin Endocrinol Metab 95(6):2621-4, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20392874.
- Weiser MA, Cabanillas M, Vu K, Tamm EP, Wallace MJ, Escalante CP, Bresalier RS. Diagnostic evaluation of patients with a high suspicion of malignancy: comorbidities and clinical predictors of cancer. Am J Med Sci 330(1):11-8, 2005. PMID: 16020994.
- Cabanillas ME, Ryder M, Jimenez C. Targeted Therapy for Advanced Thyroid Cancer: Kinase Inhibitors and Beyond. Endocr Rev 40(6):1573-1604, 2019. PMID: 31322645.
- Ganeshan D, Paulson E, Duran C, Cabanillas ME, Busaidy NL, Charnsangavej C. Current Update on Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma. AJR Am J Roentgenol 201(6):W867-76, 2013. PMID: 24261394.
- Dadu R, Cabanillas ME. Optimizing therapy for radioactive iodine-refractory differentiated thyroid cancer: Current state of the art and future directions. Minerva Endocrinol 37(4):335-56, 2012. PMID: 23235190.
- Cabanillas ME, Hu MI, Durand JB, Busaidy NL. Challenges Associated with Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor Therapy for Metastatic Thyroid Cancer. J Thyroid Res 2011:985780, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 22007339.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Cabanillas ME. Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer: A Doctor’s Perspective for Patients and Families Living with the Disease. Thyca.org, 2015.
- Iyer P, Dadu R, Busaidy NL, Ferrarotto R, Gule-Monroe MK, Lu C, Williams MD, Cabanillas ME. Harvesting high-hanging fruit: Targeted Therapy for BRAF mutant (BRAFm) and BRAF wild-type (BRAFwt) Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer (ATC) patients. American Thyroid Association, 2016.
- Khan SA, Ci B, Gerber DE, McFadden DG, Beg MS, Xie Y, Kurian P, Cabanillas ME, Busaidy NL, Sherman SI, Heilmann A, Ross JS, Bailey M, Burtness B, Ali SM. Comprehensive genomic sequencing (CGS) of 90 patient samples of anaplastic thyroid cancer (ATC). J Clin Oncol 34:suppl; abstr 6014, 2016.
- Ahmed S, Ghazarian M, Cabanillas ME, Vu T, Debnam J. Imaging of Anaplastic Thyroid Carcinoma. 116th American Roentgen Ray Society (ARRS) Annual Meeting (oral presentation), 2016.
- Cabanillas ME, Williams MD, Gunn B, Weitzman SP, Burke L, Busaidy N, Ying A, William WN, Lu C, Lai S. Facilitating Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer Specialized Treatment (FAST): A model for increasing enrollment to Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer (ATC) clinical trials. 15th International Thyroid Congress, 2015.
- Brose MS, Cabanillas ME, Cohen EE, Wirth L, Sherman SI, Riehl T, Yue H, Sherman E. An Open-Label, Multi-center Phase 2 Study of the BRAF Inhibitor Vemurafenib in Patients With Metastatic or Unresectable Papillary Thyroid Cancer (PTC) Positive for the BRAF V600 Mutation and Resistant to Radioactive Iodine. The European Cancer Congress 2013 (oral presentation), 2013.
- Sherman SI, Michaelis C, Gornet TG, Handy BC, Waguespack SG, Hu MI, Busaidy N, Jimenez C, Cabanillas ME, Cote G. Overall Survival is Reduced in Patients with Detectable Circulating Tumor Cells from Metastatic Medullary Thyroid Cancer. 83rd Annual Meeting of the American Thyroid Association, 2013.
- Dadu R, Lu C, Piha-Paul S, Cote G, Cabanillas ME. Dual Somatic Mutations in BRAF V600E and PIK3CA (PI3K) in Patients with Aggressive Papillary Thyroid Cancer (PTC). 82nd Annual Meeting of the American Thyroid Association, 2012.
- Schlumberger M, Jarzab B, Cabanillas ME, Robinson B, Pacini F, Ball DW, McCaffrey JC, Newbold K, Allison R, Martins R, Licitra LF, Shah MH, Bodenner D, Elisei R, Burmeister LA, Funahashi Y, Sellecchia R, Andersen C, O'Brien JP, Sherman SI. A phase II trial of the multitargeted kinase inhibitor lenvatinib (E7080) in advanced medullary thyroid cancer (MTC). J Clin Oncol suppl; abstr 5591, 2012.
- Cabanillas ME, Brose MS, Ramies DA, Lee Y, Miles D, Sherman SI. Antitumor activity of cabozantinib (XL184) in a cohort of patients (pts) with differentiated thyroid cancer (DTC). J Clin Oncol suppl; abstr 5547, 2012.
- Ball DW, Sherman SI, Jarzab B, Cabanillas ME, Martins R, Shah MH, Bodenner D, Newbold K, Licitra LF, Topliss D, Allison R, Kadowaki T, Funahashi Y, Matijevic M, Sachdev P, O'Brien JP, Schlumberger M. Lenvatinib treatment of advanced RAI-refractory differentiated thyroid cancer (DTC): Cytokine and angiogenic factor (CAF) profiling in combination with tumor genetic analysis to identify markers associated with response. J Clin Oncol suppl; abstr 5518, 2012.
- Cabanillas ME, Brose MS, Ramies DA, Lee Y, Miles D, Sherman SI. Anti-tumor Activity Observed in a Cohort of Patients (pts) with Differentiated Thyroid Cancer (DTC) in a Phase 1 Study of Cabozantinib (XL184). American Thyroid Association, 81st Annual Meeting, 2011.
- Sherman SI, Jarzab B, Cabanillas ME, Licitra LF, Pacini F, Martins R, Robinson B, Ball D, McCaffrey J, Shah MH, Bodenner D, Allison R, Newbold K, Elisei R, O'Brien JP, Schlumberger M. Phase II, Multicenter, Open-label, Single Arm Trial to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of Oral E7080 in Medullary and Iodine-131 Refractory, Unresectable Differentiated Thyroid Cancers, Stratified by Histology. J Clin Oncol 29, 2011.
- Choueiri TK, Pal SK, Cabanillas ME, Ramies DA, Tseng L, Holland JS, Morrissey S, Dutcher JP. Antitumor activity observed in a phase I drug–drug interaction study of cabozantinib (XL184) and rosiglitazone in patients (pts) with renal cell carcinoma (RCC) and differentiated thyroid cancer (DTC). J Clin Oncol 29, 2011.
- Michaelis CL, Cote GJ, Santarpia L, Klein MJ, Gornet TG, Fritsche HA, Busaidy NL, Waguespack SG, Cabanillas ME, Hu MI, Jimenez C, Sherman SI. Detection of Circulating Tumor Cells (CTCs) in Patients with Thyroid Cancer. Endocrine Reviews (92nd Annual Meeting of the Endocrine Society) 31(3):S615, 2010.
- Cabanillas ME, Kurzrock R, Sherman SI, Tsimberidou AM, Waguespack S, Naing A, Busaidy NL, Gagel R, Wright JJ, Hong DS. Phase I trial of combination sorafenib and tipifarnib: The experience in advanced differentiated thyroid cancer (DTC) and medullary thyroid cancer (MTC). J Clin Oncol 28(15s):(suppl; abstr 5586), 2010.
- Cabanillas ME, David H, Waguespack S, Sherman SI, Hernandez M, Hu M, Habra M, Busaidy N. Stable disease is an important endpoint in patients with progressive, differentiated thyroid cancer treated with sorafenib. 80th Annual Meeting of the American Thyroid Association 19(S1):S1-S93, 2009.
- Cabanillas ME, Waguespack SG, Bronstein Y, Williams M, Feng L, Sherman SI, Busaidy NL. Treatment with tyrosine kinase inhibitors for patients with differentiated thyroid cancer: The M. D. Anderson Cancer Center experience. J Clin Oncol 27(15s):abstract 6060, 2009.
- Cabanillas ME, Thomas DA, Kantarjian H, Mattiuzzi GN, Bekele BN, Foudray MC, Cassat JL, Cortes JE. Epoetin-alpha compared to standard of care decreases number of packed red blood cell transfusions in patients receiving hyper-CVAD for acute lymphocytic leukemia, lymphoblastic lymphoma, and Burkitt's lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 18S, 2007.
- Dadu RD, Shah K, Bassett, RL, Busaidy NL, Waguespack SG, Sherman SI, Habra MA, Jimenez CJ, Hu MI, Ying AK, Cabanillas ME. Is There an Alternative Treatment Option for Patients with Advanced Papillary Thyroid Cancer (PTC) Harboring the BRAFV600E Mutation?. 16th International Congress of Endocrinology & 96th Annual Meeting of the Endocrine Society. e-Pub 2014.
- Cabanillas ME, Schweppe RE, Dadu R, Cote G, Beadnell TC, Hofmann MC. Translational research and genomics driven trials in thyroid cancer. In: Practical Management of Thyroid Cancer - A Multidisciplinary Approach. 2nd. Springer, 319-338, 2018.
|Title:||Phase II, open, randomized comparative trial of two different schedules of palonsetron versus ondansetron for the prevention of nausea and vomiting in patients with hematologic malignancies receiving regimens containing high-dose cytarabine|
|Title:||An Open-Label, Multi-Center Phase II Study of the BRAF Inhibitor RO5185426 (vemurafenib) in Patients with Metastatic or Unresectable Papillary Thyroid Cancer (PTC) positive for the BRAF V600 Mutation and Resistant to Radioactive Iodine|
|Title:||A Phase II Trial Using RAD001 for Patients with Radioiodine Refractory Thyroid Cancer|
|Title:||A Randomized Phase 2 Study of single agent GSK2118436 (BRAFi) vs. combination regimen GSK2118436 (BRAFi) and GSK1120212 (MEKi) in patients with BRAF mutated thyroid carcinoma|
|Funding Source:||The Ohio State University / NCCN|
|Title:||Phase II Study of Cabozantinib in Patients with Radioiodine-Refractory Differentiated Thyroid Cancer Who Progressed on First-Line VEGFR-Targeted Therapy|
|Title:||A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, Phase 3 Trial of E7080 in 131I-Refractory Differentiated Thyroid Cancer|
|Title:||Exelixis Study XL184-008, A Phase 1 Drug-Drug Interaction Study of the Effects of XL184 on the Pharmacokinetics of a Single Oral Dose of Rosiglitazone in Subjects with Solid Tumors|
|Title:||Phase II, Multicenter, Open-label, Single Arm Trial to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of Oral E7080 in Medullary and Iodine-131 Refractory, Unresectable Differentiated Thyroid Cancers, Stratified by Histology|