About Dr. Gule-Monroe
Dr. Gule-Monroe is a clinical neuroradiologist with a focus on interpretation of diagnostic images and US guided fine needle aspiration of head and neck cancer. In 2005, Dr. Gule-Monroe graduated with a degree in medicine from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, in which she received numerous academic awards and honors. She completed 2 years of General Surgery residency, University of Texas Houston in 2007 and subsequently completed residency in Diagnostic Radiology followed by Neuroradiology fellowship, both at University of Texas Houston. Dr. Gule-Monroe was awarded a 2 year NIH T32 Research Training Grant and completed a Post-Doctoral Fellowship at MD Anderson Cancer Center in the department of Head and Neck Surgery resulting in three significant publications. She is trained in General Surgery, Radiology, and Neuroradiology.
Assistant Professor, Department of Neuroradiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Anaplastic thyroid cancer Pediatric thyroid cancer Head and neck squamous cell carcinoma
Multimodality imaging and US guided biopsy of thyroid and head and neck squamous cell carcinoma
|2005||Royal College of Surgeons, Dublin, IRL, MD, Medicine|
|2014-2015||Clinical Fellowship, Neuroradiology, University of Texas Houston, Houston, TX|
|2010-2014||Clinical Residency, Diagnostic Radiology, University of Texas Houston, Houston, TX|
|2005-2007||Clinical Residency, General Surgery, University of Texas Houston, Houston, TX|
|2014||American Board of Radiology Core Exam|
- Sano D, Gule-Monroe M, Rosenthal DI, Bell D, Yates J, El-Naggar AK, Myers JN. Early postoperative epidermal growth factor receptor inhibition: safety and effectiveness in inhibiting microscopic residual of oral squamous cell carcinoma in vivo. Head Neck 35(3):321-8, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22367702.
- Gule-Monroe M, Chen Y, Sano D, Frederick MJ, Zhou G, Zhao M, Milas ZL, Galer CE, Henderson YC, Jasser SA, Schwartz DL, Bankson JA, Myers JN, Lai SY. Targeted therapy of VEGFR2 and EGFR significantly inhibits growth of anaplastic thyroid cancer in an orthotopic murine model. Clinical Cancer 17(8):2281-91, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21220477.
- Sano D, Choi S, Milas ZL, Zhou G, Galer CE, Su YW, Gule-Monroe M, Zhao M, Zhu Z, Myers JN. The effect of combination anti-endothelial Growth factor receptor and anti-vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 2 targeted therapy on lymph node metastasis: a study in an orthotopic nude mouse model of squamous cell carcinoma of the oral tongue. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 135(4):411-20, 2009. PMID: 19380367.
- Iyer P, Dadu R, Ferrarotto R, Busaidy NL, Habra MA, Hess KR, Gule-Monroe M, Williams MD, Cabanillas ME. Molecular targeted therapy for the treatment of anaplastic thyroid carcinoma. JCEM.
- Kwon MC, Debnam M, Monroe BS, Gule-Monroe M, Ahmed S, Vu T, Shah K, Fornage L, Schellingerhout D, Edeiken BS The combined role of ultrasound and ultrasound guided fine-needle aspiration of thyroid nodules. Department of Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormone Disorders Newsletter 4(3):4-5, 2011.
- Gule-Monroe M, Ginsberg LE. Imaging findings of IgG4 related disease with multifocal head and neck, perineural and systemic involvement. American Society of Head and Neck Radiology 51st Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2017.
- Ghazarian M, Gule-Monroe MK, Ketonen L. A typical imaging presentation of spinal cord ependymoma. American Society of Neuroradiology 55th Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2017.
- Gule-Monroe MK, Chen M, Vu T, Johnson J, Edeiken-Monroe BS. The significance of punctate echogenic foci in cervical lymph nodes: when polka dots spell danger. American Society of Neuroradiology 55th Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2017.
- Vu T, Gule-Monroe MK, Stewart J, Fornage B, Edeiken-Monroe BS. Diagnostic accuracy of intraoperative transoral ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy of retropharyngeal masses. American Society of Neuroradiology 55th Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2017.
- Johnson J, Gule-Monroe MK, Kwon M, Ahmed S, Masood AZ, Weber RS, Edeiken BS. Accuracy of ultrasound-guided 18-gauge fine-needle aspiration in the detection of persistent lymph node metastasis after chemoradiation. Western Neuroradiological Society 48th Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2016.
- Iyer P, Dadu R, Busaidy NL, Ferrarotto R, Gule-Monroe MK, Lu C, Williams MG, Cabanillas ME. Harvesting high-hanging fruit: targeted therapy for BRAF mutant (BRAFm) and BRAF wild-type (BRAFwt) anaplastic thyroid cancer (ATC) patients. American Thyroid Association 86th Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2016.
- Gule-Monroe MK, Ginsberg L. Manifestations of IgG4 related disease in the head and neck. American Society of Head and Neck Radiology 50th Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2016.
- Gule-Monroe M, Chasen NN, Ginsberg LE. Spaces and faces of head and neck venous malformations. American Society of Neuroradiology 54th Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2016.
- Gule-Monroe M, Chasen NN, Ginsberg LE. MR findings in Wyburn-Mason syndrome, rare syndrome of multiple vascular malformations of the orbit, brain, and face. American Society of Neuroradiology 54th Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2016.
- Gule-Monroe M, Bonfante E, Riascos R. Unusual intracranial aneurysms: imaging and management challenges. American Society of Neuroradiology 53rd Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2015.
- Gule-Monroe M, Sitton C. Idiopathic hypertrophic pachymeningitis: a challenging imaging diagnosis. American Society of Neuroradiology 53rd Annual Meeting Proceedings, 2015.
- Gule-Monroe MK, Kwon M, Johnson JM, Shah K, Vu T, Edeiken-Monroe BS. Ultrasound characteristics and ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration of lymph nodes in the cervical soft tissues: a radiology perspective. In: Advanced Thyroid and Parathyroid Ultrasound. Springer International Publishing, 227-239, 2017.
- Johnson JM, Gule-Monroe MK, Kwon M, Ahmed S, Schellingerhout D, Kumar V, Edeiken-Monroe BS, Debnam JM. Pattern recognition of benign and malignant thyroid nodules: ultrasound characteristics and ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration of thyroid nodules. In: Advanced Thyroid and Parathyroid Ultrasound. Springer International Publishing, 179-194, 2017.
- Grubbs EG, Edeiken BS, Gule-Monroe MK, Monroe BJ, Kim E, Vu T, Perrier ND. Preoperative parathyroid imaging for the endocrine surgeon. In: Handbook of Parathyroid Diseases: A Case-Based Practical Guide. Springer US, 19-40, 2012.