Assistant Professor, Department of Breast Surgical Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2010||Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, USA, MPH, Masters of Public Health, Health Management and Policy|
|2006||University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI, USA, MD, Doctor of Medicine|
|2001||University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, USA, BS, Physiological Sciences, Minor Public Policy|
|2013-2014||Fellow, Breast Surgical Oncology, University of MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2008-2009||Research Fellowship, Department of Surgery, Division of Vascular Surgery, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA|
|2006-2013||Clinical Residency, General Surgery, Stanford Hospital and Clinics, Stanford, CA|
|2014||American Board of Surgery|
Fellowship Program Associate Director, Department of Breast Surgical Oncology, Breast Surgical Oncology Fellowship Training Program, Houston, TX, 2014 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Co-Chair, Graduate Medical Education Diversity and Disparities Task Force, 2017 - Present
Member, Education Taskforce Faculty Development, 2015 - Present
Member and Subject Matter Expert in Breast Surgery, OneConnect for Breast Oncology, 2014 - 2016
Member, Junior Faculty Development Program Committee for Surgical Oncology, 2014 - 2015
Member, Program Evaluation Committee, Department of Surgical Oncology, 2014 - Present
- Tadros AB, Yang WT, Krishnamurthy S, Rauch GM, Smith BD, Valero V, Black DM, Lucci A, Caudle AS, DeSnyder SM, Teshome M, Barcenas CH, Miggins M, Adrada BE, Moseley T, Hwang RF, Hunt KK, Kuerer HM. Identification of Patients With Documented Pathologic Complete Response in the Breast After Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy for Omission of Axillary Surgery. JAMA Surg 152(7):665-670, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28423171.
- Teshome M, Wei C, Hunt KK, Thompson A, Rodriguez K, Mittendorf EA. Use of a Magnetic Tracer for Sentinel Lymph Node Detection in Early-Stage Breast Cancer Patients: A Meta-analysis. Ann Surg Oncol 23(5):1508-14, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26893221.
- Parent RJ, Plerhoples TA, Long EE, Zimmer DM, Teshome M, Mohr CJ, Ly DP, Hernandez-Boussard T, Curet MJ, Dutta S. Early, intermediate, and late effects of a surgical skills "boot camp" on an objective structured assessment of technical skills: a randomized controlled study. J Am Coll Surg 210(6):984-9, 2010. PMID: 20510808.
- Lee JT, Teshome M, de Virgilio C, Ishaque B, Qiu M, Dalman RL. A survey of demographics, motivations, and backgrounds among applicants to the integrated 0 + 5 vascular surgery residency. J Vasc Surg 51(2):496-502; discussion 502-3, 2010. PMID: 20022205.
- Lee JT, Qiu M, Teshome M, Raghavan SS, Tedesco MM, Dalman RL. The utility of endovascular simulation to improve technical performance and stimulate continued interest of preclinical medical students in vascular surgery. J Surg Educ 66(6):367-73, 2009. PMID: 20142137.
- Onyekwere OC, Campbell A, Teshome M, Onyeagoro S, Sylvan C, Akintilo A, Hutchinson S, Ensing G, Gaskin P, Kato G, Rana S, Kwagyan J, Gordeuk V, Williams J, Castro O. Pulmonary hypertension in children and adolescents with sickle cell disease. Pediatr Cardiol 29(2):309-12, 2008. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17680298.
- Kuerer HM, Rauch GM, Krishnamurthy S, Adrada BE, Caudle AS, DeSnyder SM, Black DM, Santiago L, Hobbs BP, Lucci A, Gilcrease M, Hwang RF, Candelaria RP, Chavez-MacGregor M, Smith BD, Arribas E, Moseley T, Teshome M, Miggins MV, Valero V, Hunt KK, Yang WT. A Clinical Feasibility Trial for Identification of Exceptional Responders in Whom Breast Cancer Surgery Can Be Eliminated Following Neoadjuvant Systemic Therapy. Ann Surg. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28549010.
- Teshome M, Kuerer HM. Breast conserving surgery and locoregional control after neoadjuvant chemotherapy. European Journal of Surgical Oncology.
- FitzSullivan E, Bassett RL, Kuerer HM, Mittendorf EA, Yi M, Hunt KK, Babiera GV, Caudle AS, Black DM, Bedrosian I, Reyna C, Teshome M, Meric-Bernstam F, Hwang R. Outcomes of Sentinel Lymph Node-Positive Breast Cancer Patients Treated with Mastectomy Without Axillary Therapy. Ann Surg Oncol. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27822630.
- Vila J,Teshome M,Tucker SL,Woodward WA,Chavez-MacGregor M, Hunt KK, Mittendorf EA. Combining Clinical and Pathologic Staging Variables Has Prognostic Value in Predicting Local-regional Recurrence Following Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer. Ann Surg. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27735826.
- Teshome M, Kuerer HM. Training of breast surgical oncologists. Chin Clin Oncol 5(3):43, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27197510.
- Teshome M, Hunt KK. Neoadjuvant therapy in the treatment of breast cancer. Surg Oncol Clin N Am 23(3):505-523, 2014. PMID: 24882348.
- Teshome M, Hunt KK. Sentinel Node Biopsy After Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in Initial Node-Positive Patients: Why or Why Not?. Current Surgery Reports 3(12):doi:10.1007/s40137-015-0089-y. e-Pub 2015.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- . ASBrS BESAP II - Cancer Management, 2017.
- Kuerer HM, Teshome M. MDACC Breast Surgical Oncology Handbook, 2015.
- Teshome M, Ballman KV, McCall LM, Cormier JN, Giuliano A, Hunt KK. Long-term incidence of lymphedema after sentinel lymph node dissection for early stage breast cancer, 2014.
- Dua MM, Teshome M, Lee GK, Lilo EA, Lee JT. Accuracy of trainee self -assessment in endovascular simulation, 2010.
- Dua MM, Al-Khatib WK, Teshome M, Lee GK, Dalman RL, Harris EJ, Lee JT. More Filters In, Fewer Filters Out: Retrieval Rates of Temporary Inferior Vena Cava Filters, 2010.
- Dua MM, Teshome M, Qiu M, Parent R, Lee JT. Are Surgical Simulation Skills Transferable Among Different Subspecialties? Examination of Laparoscopic Experience on Endovascular Performance, 2010.
- Lee JT, Dua MM, Teshome M, Maruszewski M, Harris EJ Jr, Olcott C IV, Zarins CK, Dalman RL. Outside the IFU: Do Results Justify Aggressive EVAR Deployment in Short Angled Necks?, 2009.
- Teshome M, Dua M, Dalman RL, Lee JT. Is the Surgery Residency Applicant Personal Statement Necessary?, 2009.
- Raghavan SS, Teshome M, Qiu M, Parent R, Long E, Song TK, Haukoos J, Lee JT. Reliability of grading utilizing a structured global assessment scale for the evaluation of performance on an endovascular simulator: Does experience matter?, 2009.
- Qiu M, Teshome M, Peterson D, Raghavan SS, Tedesco MM, Parent R, Song TK, Lee JT. Endovascular simulation as a tool to improve medical student performance and interest level in vascular surgery, 2009.
- A Weiss, HM Kuerer, WT Yang, S Krishnamurthy, SM DeSnyder, DM Black, GV Babiera, M Teshome,KK Hunt, AS Caudle. Potential for Targeted Axillary Dissection in Patients Who Do Not Receive Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy. Poster Presentation, American Society of Breast Surgeons (ASBrS).
- Teshome M, Kuerer HM. Training of breast surgical oncologists. Chinese Clinical Oncology.