About Dr. Kalambo
Dr. Megan Kalambo is an Associate Professor in the Department of Breast Imaging at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center (MDACC). She obtained her medical degree from Pennsylvania State College of Medicine and completed her residency training at The University of Texas McGovern Medical School at Houston. Following her residency, she completed a dedicated breast imaging fellowship at MDACC in 2012 and then joined the breast imaging department as a faculty member in 2013. From November 2014 to June 2020, Dr. Kalambo worked as a community-based academic radiologist in the MDACC network expansion partnership with Memorial Hermann. In June 2020, she began serving as the Breast Imaging Department's Director of the Houston Area Locations, overseeing the integration of multidisciplinary care and clinical protocols that are practiced at the Texas Medical Center with MDACC's growing breast imaging footprint and network in the greater Houston area.
She currently practices in a dynamic multidisciplinary breast center interpreting mammograms, breast ultrasounds, breast MRI and image-guided breast biopsies. She has a keen interest in novel, minimally invasive multimodality interventional and diagnostic techniques for the diagnosis and treatment of breast disorders. She also has a passion for teaching residents and fellows.
Associate Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Director - Breast Imaging Houston Area Locations, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Development of novel, minimally invasive multimodality interventional and diagnostic techniques for the diagnosis and treatment of breast disorders.
Multimodality Breast Imaging, Digital Breast Tomosynthesis, High resolution whole breast ultrasound, Breast Cancer Staging
|2007||Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2003||Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, USA, BS, Biological Sciences|
|2012-2013||Clinical Fellowship, Breast Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2008-2012||Clinical Residency, Diagnostic & Interventional Imaging, The University of Texas at Houston McGovern Medical School, Houston, TX|
|2007-2008||Transitional Internship, York Hospital, York, PA|
|2012||American Board of Radiology|
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Faculty Functional Committee - Division of Diagnostic Imaging, 2016 - 2020
Member, Cancer in Africa, 2016 - Present
Member, Radiology Aid International, 2016 - Present
Member, Faculty Development Subcommittee - Division of Diagnostic Imaging, 2015 - 2015
|2017||Department of Diagnostic Radiology Outstanding Clinician Award, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2015||Department of Diagnostic Radiology Outstanding Faculty Member - Breast Imaging Section, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2015||Early Career Women's Faculty Development Award, Association of American Medical Colleges|
|2009||Guthrie Award for Fluoroscopy, The University of Texas at Houston McGovern Medical School - Radiology Residency Program|
- Parikh JR, Kalambo M. Integration of the Community-Based Academic Radiologist With the Academic Radiology Department: A Strategic Imperative. J Am Coll Radiol 17(2):304-308, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31408615.
- Mayo RC, Kalambo MJ, Parikh JR. Preoperative localization of breast lesions: Current techniques. Clin Imaging 56:1-8, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30818165.
- Kalambo M, Parikh JR. The Community-Based Academic Radiologist. Journal of the American College of Radiology 15(10):1500-1504, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30061046.
- Kalambo M, Whitman GJ. Right at the Surface: Skin and Superficial Lesions of the Breast. Breast Journal 24(5):858-860, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29781160.
- Kushwaha AC, Shin K, Kalambo M, Legha R, Gerlach KE, Kapoor MM, Yang WT. Overutilization of Health Care Resources for Breast Pain. American Journal of Roentgenol 211(1):1-7, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29792736.
- Kalambo M, Adrada BE, Adeyefa MM, Krishnamurthy S, Hess K, Carkaci S, Whitman GJ. Phyllodes Tumor of the Breast: Ultrasound-Pathology Correlation. American Journal of Roentgenol 210(4):W1-W7, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29412020.
- Omofoye TS, Parikh JR, Kalambo M. The Utility of Digital Breast Tomosynthesis in Axillary Lymph Node Post Clip Mammography. Imaging in Medicine 10(1):1-4, 2018.
- Kalambo M, Parikh JR. Collaborative Branding of Partnered Health Systems in Radiology. Journal of the American College of Radiology 15(1):107-111, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28899707.
- Natesan R, Santiago L, Kalambo M, Martaindale S, Legha R, Weaver O, Batsell R, Wei W, Leung JWT, Yang WT. The Impact of Patient Demographics on the Selection of Breast Imaging Centers. American Journal of Roentgenol 209(3):W1-W10, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28657849.
- Kalambo M, Parikh JR. Implementing the SAVI SCOUT System in Community Radiology Practice. Journal of the American College of Radiology 14(9):1234-1238, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28601614.
- Kalambo M, Parikh JR. Building Relations with Radiology Administrators. Diagnostics (Basel) 7(2):33, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28590428.
- Kalambo M, Parikh JR. Implementing Standardized Protocols during Geographic Radiology Expansion. Journal of the American College of Radiology 14(1):84-86, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27818016.
- Raj SD, Agrons MM, Woodtichartpreecha P, Kalambo MJ , Dogan BE, Le-Petross H, Whitman GJ. MRI-Guided Needle Localization: Indications, Tips, Tricks, and Review of the Literature. Breast J. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30924216.
- Kalambo M, Stafford J, Yang WT. Commentary: Locally advanced breast cancer: MR imaging for prediction of response to neo-adjuvant chemotherapy- results from ACRIN 6657/I-SPY trial [Radiology. 2012;263:663-672]. Yearbook of Oncology, 2014.
- Kalambo M, Stafford J, Yang WT. Commentary on: Locally advanced breast cancer: MR imaging for prediction of response to neo-adjuvant chemotherapy- results from ACRIN 6657/I-SPY trial [Radiology. 2012;263:663-672]. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly, 2013.
- Raj S, Kalambo M, Dogan B, Le-Petross H, Whitman G. MRI-Guided Needle Localization: Case-Based Primer. American Roentgen Ray Society Annual Conference, 2016.
- Santiago L, Kalambo M, Eghtedari M, Lane D, Le-Petross C. Mastering The Challenges of MRI-Guided Breast Interventions: MRI Guided Biopsy and Beyond. Radiological Society of North America Annual Meeting, 2014.
- Kalambo M, Dogan B, Santiago L, DeSnyder S, Gilcrease M, Whitman G.. Step by Step: Planning a Needle Localization Procedure. Radiological Society of North America Annual Conference, 2014.
- Kalambo M, Yang WT. Preoperative Imaging Assessment of Breast Cancer. In: Oncoplastic and Reconstructive Surgery of the Breast. 3rd. CRC Press, 2018.
Books (edited and written)
- Singh H, Kalambo M, Neutze J, Enterline J. Radiology Fundamentals: Introduction to Imaging and Technology. 4th. Springer Science & Business Media: New York, 2011.