About Melissa P Mitchell
Associate Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2006||University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2004||University of Colorado School of Medicine, Denver, CO, USA, PHD, Pharmacology|
|1999||Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, USA, BA, Dual degree in Biology and Integrated Science Program|
|2011-2012||Clinical Fellowship, Radiation Oncology, M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston|
|2007-2011||Clinical Residency, Radiation Oncology, University of Kansas, Kansas City, KS|
|2006-2007||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine, University of Kansas, Kansas City, KS|
Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Kansas, Kansas City, KS, 2012 - 2019
Radiation Oncology Compensation Committee, Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Kansas Cancer Center, Kansas City, KS, 2018 - 2019
Physician lead for Clinical Operations, Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Kansas Cancer Center, Kansas City, KS, 2016 - 2019
Executive Committee for Radiation Oncology, The University of Kansas Cancer Center, Kansas City, KS, 2015 - 2019
Program Evaluation Committee Chair, The University of Kansas Cancer Center, Kansas City, KS, 2017 - 2019
Physician Recruitment Committee, The University of Kansas Cancer Center, Kansas City, KS, 2015 - 2016
Research Committee Leader, The University of Kansas Cancer Center, Kansas City, KS, 2015 - 2016
Cancer Service Line member/Steering Committee, The University of Kansas Cancer Center, Kansas City, KS, 2015 - 2019
Program Evaluation Committee Member, The University of Kansas Cancer Center, Kansas City, KS, 2013 - 2019
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Hospital Cohort Nominating Committee, University of Kansas, 2017 - 2017
Member, KUMC diversity recruitment,The University of Kansas Hospital, 2017 - 2018
Radiation Oncology Lead, National Accreditation of Programs in Breast Cancer Committee, The University of Kansas Cancer Center, 2016 - 2019
Committee Leader, KU Breast Cancer Radiation Oncology Guidelines , Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Kansas Cancer Center, 2015 - 2016
Member, Physician EMR executive committee (eIPAC), The University of Kansas Hospital, 2015 - 2016
Second Line Representative, Committee on Cancer, KU Cancer Center, 2015 - 2019
Co-chair, KU Breast Disease Working Group, The University of Kansas Cancer Center, 2013 - 2019
Breast Cancer Lead, KU Mock Oral Examination Workshop, Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Kansas Cancer Center, 2013 - 2019
Consultant, Hylapharm, Lawrence, KS, 2018 - Present
|2019||Featured article in the Springer column, ASCO|
|2019||Educator of the Year, ARRO|
|2018||Top Doctors in Kansas City, Ingram’s Magazine|
|2018||Nomination for Phase I Committee, KUMC School of Medicine|
|2017||SWOG Travel Grant, SWOG|
|2014||Nomination for Gold Humanism Honor Society, Gold Humanism Honor Society|
|2009||Second place poster award in biology, ASTRO|
|2002||Individual NRSA fellowship grant, NIEHS|
|1999||Graduate Merit Training Grant|
|1999||IBM Grant for Women in Research, Women in Research|
|1998||Erwin Macy Scholarship|
- Diao K, Andring LM, Barcenas CH, Singh P, Carisa Le-Petross H, Reed VK, Reddy JP, Bloom ES, Ahmad NR, Mayo LL, Perkins GH, Mitchell MP, Nead KT, Tereffe W, Smith BD, Woodward WA. Contemporary Outcomes After Multimodality Therapy in Patients With Breast Cancer Presenting With Ipsilateral Supraclavicular Node Involvement. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 112(1):66-74, 2022. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34710521.
- Nia ES, Huang ML, Sun SX, Mitchell MP, Myatt JP, Candelaria RP. The mammographic appearance of the BioMonitor implantable loop recorder. Clin Imaging 73:28-30, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33296770.
- Li XA, Moughan J, White JR, Freedman GM, Arthur DW, Galvin J, Xiao Y, McNulty S, Lyons JA, Kavadi VS, Fields MT, Mitchell MP, Anderson BM, Lock MI, Kokeny KE, Bazan JG, Currey AD, Hijal T, Cheston SB, Vicini FA. Patterns of failure observed in the two-step institution credentialing process for NRG Oncology/RTOG 1005 (NCT01349322) and lessons learned. Pract Radiat Oncol 10(4):265-273, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31790823.
- Mamounas EP, Mitchell MP, Woodward WA. Molecular Predictive and Prognostic Markers in Locoregional Management. J Clin Oncol 38(20):JCO1902905, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32442060.
- Myers JS, Mitchell M, Krigel S, Steinhoff A, Boyce-White A, Van Goethem K, Valla M, Dai J, He J, Liu W, Sereika SM, Bender CM. Qigong intervention for breast cancer survivors with complaints of decreased cognitive function. Support Care Cancer 27(4):1395-1403, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30128855.
- Butler-Xu YS, Marietta M, Zahra A, TenNapel M, Mitchell M. The effect of breast volume on toxicity using hypofractionated regimens for early stage breast cancer for patients. Adv Radiat Oncol 4(2):261-267, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 31011671.
- Myers JS, Kahya M, Mitchell M, Dai J, He J, Moon S, Hamilton K, Valla M, O'Dea A, Klemp J, Kurylo M, Akinwuntan A, Devos H. Pupillary response: cognitive effort for breast cancer survivors. Support Care Cancer 27(3):1121-1128, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30097791.
- Ganju RG, Savvides G, Korentager S, Ward MJ, TenNapel M, Amin A, Wagner J, Mitchell M. Incidence of breast lymphedema and predictors of its development in patients receiving whole breast radiation therapy after breast-conservation surgery. Lymphology(52):126-133, 2019. PMID: 31874124.
- Doke K, Butler S, Mitchell MP. Current Therapeutic Approaches to DCIS. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia 23(4):279-291, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30267199.
- Kilgore LJ, Korentager SS, Hangge AN, Amin AL, Balanoff CR, Larson KE, Mitchell MP, Chen JG, Burgen E, Khan QJ, O'Dea AP, Nye L, Sharma P, Wagner JL. Reducing Breast Cancer-Related Lymphedema (BCRL) Through Prospective Surveillance Monitoring Using Bioimpedance Spectroscopy (BIS) and Patient Directed Self-Interventions. Ann Surg Oncol 25(10):2948-2952, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29987599.
- Mitchell MP, Sharma P. The Use of Surgery and Radiotherapy as Treatment of Regional Nodes in Breast Cancer Patients. Oncology (Williston Park) 32(6):e52-e64, 2018. PMID: 29940065.
- Mitchell MP, Wagner J, Butterworth J. Subcutaneous implant-based breast reconstruction, a modern challenge in postmastectomy radiation planning. Pract Radiat Oncol 8(3):153-156, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29233522.
- Mallory ML, Mitchell MP. Lymphangioleiomyomatosis: A new relative contraindication for breast conservation therapy. Adv Radiat Oncol 3(1):16-18, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29556574.
- Arguello AA, Richardson BD, Hall JL, Wang R, Hodges MA, Mitchell MP, Stuber GD, Rossi DJ, Fuchs RA. Role of a Lateral Orbital Frontal Cortex-Basolateral Amygdala Circuit in Cue-Induced Cocaine-Seeking Behavior. Neuropsychopharmacology 42(3):727-735, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27534268.
- Stecklein SR, Shen X, Mitchell MP. Post-Mastectomy Radiation Therapy for Invasive Lobular Carcinoma: A Comparative Utilization and Outcomes Study. Clin Breast Cancer 16(4):319-26, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26943990.
- Reddy JP, Dawood S, Mitchell M, Debeb BG, Bloom E, Gonzalez-Angulo AM, Sulman EP, Buchholz TA, Woodward WA. Antiepileptic drug use improves overall survival in breast cancer patients with brain metastases in the setting of whole brain radiotherapy. Radiother Oncol 117(2):308-14, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26482599.
- Mitchell MP, Abboud M, Eng C, Beddar AS, Krishnan S, Delclos ME, Crane CH, Das P. Intensity-modulated radiation therapy with concurrent chemotherapy for anal cancer: outcomes and toxicity. Am J Clin Oncol 37(5):461-6, 2014. PMID: 23466576.
- Lang JE, Tereffe W, Mitchell MP, Rao R, Feng L, Meric-Bernstam F, Bedrosian I, Kuerer HM, Hunt KK, Hortobagyi GN, Babiera GV. Primary tumor extirpation in breast cancer patients who present with stage IV disease is associated with improved survival. Ann Surg Oncol 20(6):1893-9, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23306905.
- O'Sullivan CC, Ballman KV, McCall L, Kommalapati A, Zemla T, Weiss A, Mitchell M, Blinder V, Tung NM, Irvin WJ, Lee M, Goetz MP, Symmans WF, Borges VF, Krop I, Carey LA, Partridge AH. Alliance A011801 (compassHER2 RD): postneoadjuvant T-DM1 + tucatinib/placebo in patients with residual HER2-positive invasive breast cancer. Future Oncol. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34636255.
|Title:||Breast Cancer Fatigue and Mitochondrial Gene Expression in Black and White Women|
|Funding Source:||KUCC Pilot Project|
|Title:||The Grand Challenge: When is Cancer Not Cancer|
|Funding Source:||UK PRECISION|
|Title:||Psychoneurological Symptom Cluster, Lifetime Stress Exposure and Radiation Treated Breast Cancer|
|Title:||Qigong Intervention for Breast Cancer Survivors with Complaints of Decreased Cognitive Function|
|Funding Source:||Oncology Nursing Society Foundation Nursing|
|Title:||Development of a Radiosensitivity Assay for DCIS|
|Funding Source:||KU Cancer Center|
|Title:||F30ES012347 NRSA fellowship grant awarded from the NIEHS, Signaling Mechanisms of Ozonized Pulmonary Surfactant|
|Title:||Breast Cancer Research Program Breakthrough Award Level 1|
|Funding Source:||Department of Defense (DOD)|
|Title:||American Cancer Society IRG grant|
|Funding Source:||American Cancer Society (ACS)|
|Title:||Fatigue, quality of life, and leukocyte transcriptomes in black and white breast cancer patients|
|Title:||Measurement of Cognitive Effort for Breast Cancer Survivors|