About Dr. Taggart
I am a board certified anatomic and clinical pathologist with subspecialty training and expertise in gastrointestinal neoplasia. In addition to my clinical duties as a gastrointestinal pathologist at a tertiary care cancer center, I have been involved in a number collaborative endeavors with clinicians (oncologists, gastroenterologists, radiologists, and surgeons), as well as histomorphologic studies. Many of my studies have focused on colorectal adenocarcinoma, including those evaluating treatment response and hereditary colorectal cancer syndromes such as Lynch Syndrome (LS) and Familial Adenomatous Polyposis (FAP). Currently, I provide pathology support (tissue review in both human and murine samples) for a number of trials and studies including those investigating biomarkers for the activity of Naproxen in LS patients, genomic findings in colorectal adenomas in FAP patients, a phase II/III trial evaluating selective use of combined modality chemoradiation in locally advanced rectal cancer patients, and molecular determinants of response to preoperative therapy in patients with locally advanced colorectal adenocarcinoma. With these studies, we hope to further personalize treatment for patients with colorectal carcinoma, determine biomarkers for chemoradiation response for and/or resistance to current treatment modalities, and discover targeted biomarkers for prevention in patients with hereditary colonic carcinoma syndromes. I am prepared to provide pathology support.
Associate Professor, Department of Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2001||Louisiana State University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1997||University of New Orleans, New Orleans, LA, USA, BS, Biological Sciences|
|1996||University of New Orleans, New Orleans, LA, USA, BA, Chemistry|
|2007-2008||Clinical Fellowship, Gastrointestinal Pathology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2006-2007||Clinical Fellowship, Surgical Pathology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2001-2006||Clinical Residency, Anatomic Pathology/Clinical Pathology, Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center, New Orleans, LA|
|2006||Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, American Board of Pathology, 2006, Recertification Date: 2016; lifetime certificate with maintenance of certification (MOC) participation|
Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2016
- Al-Azzawi M, Misdraji J, van Velthuysen MF, Shia J, Taggart MW, Yantiss RK, Svrcek M, Carr N. Acellular mucin in pseudomyxoma peritonei of appendiceal origin: what is adequate sampling for histopathology?. J Clin Pathol 73(4):220-2, 2020. PMID: 31611287.
- Peacock O, Limvorapitak T, Hu CY, Bednarski BK, Tillman MM, Kaur H, Taggart MW, Dasari A, Holliday EB, You YN, Chang GJ. Robotic rectal cancer surgery: comparative study of the impact of obesity on early outcomes. Br J Surg 107(12):1552-7, 2020. PMID: 32996597.
- Grotz TE, Overman MJ, Eng C, Raghav KP, Royal RE, Mansfield PF, Mann GN, Robinson KA, Beaty KA, Rafeeq S, Matamoros A, Taggart MW, Fournier KF. Cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy for moderately and poorly differentiated appendiceal adenocarcinoma: survival outcomes and patient selection. Ann Surg Oncol 24(9):2646-54, 2017. PMID: 28695394.
- Taggart MW, Hanna EY, Gidley P, Weber RS, Bell D. Achaete-scute homolog 1 expression closely correlates with endocrine phenotype and degree of differentiation in sinonasal neuroendocrine tumors. Ann Diagn Pathol 19(3):154-6, 2015. PMID: 25892663.
- Taggart MW, Abraham SC, Overman MJ, Mansfield PF, Rashid A. Goblet cell carcinoid tumor, mixed goblet cell carcinoid-adenocarcinoma, and adenocarcinoma of the appendix: comparison of clinicopathologic features and prognosis. Arch Pathol Lab Med 139(6):782-90, 2015. PMID: 26030247.
- Taggart MW, Galbincea J, Mansfield PF, Fournier KF, Royal RE, Overman MJ, Rashid A, Abraham SC. High-level microsatellite instability in appendiceal carcinomas. Am J Surg Pathol 37(8):1192-200, 2013. PMID: 23648460.
- Taggart MW, Rashid A, Ross WA, Abraham SC. Oesophageal hyperkeratosis: clinicopathological associations. Histopathology 63(4):463-73, 2013. PMID: 23879628.
- Kang HC, Menias CO, Gaballah AH, Shroff S, Taggart MW, Garg N, Elsayes KM. Beyond the GIST: mesenchymal tumors of the stomach. Radiographics 33(6):1673-90, 2013. PMID: 24108557.
- Raghav KP, Shetty AV, Kazmi SM, Zhang N, Morris J, Taggart MW, Fournier K, Royal R, Mansfield P, Eng C, Wolff RA, Overman MJ. Impact of molecular alterations and targeted therapy in appendiceal adenocarcinomas. Oncologist 18(12):1270-7, 2013. PMID: 24149137.
- Lieu CH, Lambert LA, Wolff RA, Eng C, Zhang N, Wen S, Rafeeq S, Taggart MW, Fournier K, Royal R, Mansfield P, Overman MJ. Systemic chemotherapy and surgical cytoreduction for poorly differentiated and signet ring cell adenocarcinomas of the appendix. Ann Oncol 23(3):652-8, 2012. PMID: 21653683.
- Taggart MW, Craver R. Causes of death, determined by autopsy, in previously healthy (or near-healthy) children presenting to a children's hospital. Arch Pathol Lab Med 130(12):1780-5, 2006. PMID: 17149950.
- Kaur H, Gabriel H, Taggart M, Kang HC, Konishi T, Rauch GM, Krishnan S, Chang G. MRI staging in an evolving management paradigm for rectal cancer, from the AJR special series on cancer staging. AJR Am J Roentgenol:1-12. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 33949877.