About Dr. Michael J. Fisch
Michael J. Fisch, MD, MPH, is Professor and Chair of the Department of General Oncology and Medical Director of the Community Clinical Oncology Program in the Division of Cancer Medicine at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, TX. He earned his MD from the University of Virginia School of Medicine and his master’s degree in Public Health from Indiana University in Bloomington, IN. He completed a residency in Internal Medicine at University of Virginia and fellowships in Hematology/Oncology and general internal medicine (Health Services Research) at Indiana University. He is board certified in Medical Oncology, and Hospice and Palliative Medicine. Dr. Fisch is a fellow of both the American College of Physicians and the American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine.
Dr. Fisch’s research interests include palliative care, symptom management, cardio-oncology, social media in medicine, and health care disparities. He has been published in the Journal of Clinical Oncology, the Journal of the National Cancer Institute, and numerous other peer-reviewed journals. He has also authored or co-authored several book chapters and books. He has been an invited speaker at various national and international conferences. He is an active volunteer for the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO), where he has held leadership positions. He is currently serving as Chair of the ASCO Palliative Care in Oncology Symposium. He is also an active blogger for ASCO and for MD Anderson, as well as being active on twitter @fischmd. Dr. Fisch is currently th Chair of the Symptom Management Committee of ECOG-ACRIN and Co-Chair of the Symptom Management and Quality of Life Steering Committee for the National Cancer Institute (NCI). In addition, he serves on the NCI National Clinical Trials Network (NCTN) Working Group.
National Medical Director, Division of Medical Oncology and Genetics, AIM Specialty Health, Chicago, IL
Clinical Professor, Department of General Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1997||Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, USA, MPH, Health Education|
|1990||University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA, MD, Clinical Medicine|
|2003||American Board of Hospice and Palliative Medicine|
Clinical Specialist, Department of General Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2015 - 2019
Professor, Department of General Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2012 - 2015
Chair, Department of General Oncology, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2015
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Clinical Faculty Review Committee, 2013 - 2015
Member, Division of Internal Medicine (DoIM) Division Head Search Committee, 2013 - 2014
Member, Medical Quality Planning Committee, 2013 - 2015
Member, Physician Relations Faculty Advisory Board, 2012 - 2015
|2019||Vicente Valero LBJ Clinician Educator of the Year|
- Penas-Prado M, Hess KR, Fisch MJ, Lagrone LW, Groves MD, Levin VA, De Groot JF, Puduvalli VK, Colman H, Volas-Redd G, Giglio P, Conrad CA, Salacz ME, Floyd JD, Loghin ME, Hsu SH, Gonzalez J, Chang EL, Woo SY, Mahajan A, Aldape KD, Yung WK, Gilbert MR, MD Anderson Community Clinical Oncology Program and the Brain Tumor Trials Collaborative. Randomized phase II adjuvant factorial study of dose-dense temozolomide alone and in combination with isotretinoin, celecoxib, and/or thalidomide for glioblastoma. Neuro Oncol 17(2):266-73, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25239666.
- Parker PA, Urbauer D, Fisch MJ, Fellman B, Hough H, Miller J, Lanzotti V, Whisnant M, Weiss M, Fellenz L, Bury M, Kokx P, Finn K, Daily M, Cohen L. A multi-site, community oncology-based randomized trial of a brief educational intervention to increase communication regarding complementary and alternative medicine. Cancer, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23824945.
- Cruciani RA, Zhang JJ, Manola J, Cella D, Ansari B, Fisch MJ. L-carnitine supplementation for the management of fatigue in patients with cancer: An Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group phase III, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Clin Oncol 30(31):3864-9, 2012. PMID: 22987089.
- Dizon D, Graham D, Thompson M, Johnson L, Johnston C, Fisch M, Miller R. Practical guidance: The use of social media in oncology practice. J Oncol Pract 8(5):114-24, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23277774.
- Hwang JP, Fisch MJ, Zhang H, Kallen MA, Routbort MJ, Lal L, Vierling JM, Suarez-Almazor ME. Low rates of hepatitis B virus screening at the onset of chemotherapy. J Oncol Pract 8(4):32-9, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23180996.
- Lal LS, Zhuang A, Hung F, Feng C, Arbuckle R, Fisch MJ. Evaluation of drug interactions in patients treated with antidepressants at a tertiary care cancer center. Support Care Cancer 20(5):983-9, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21519946.
- Fisch MJ, Lee JW, Weiss M, Wagner LI, Chang VT, Cella D, Manola JB, Minasian LM, McCaskill-Stevens W, Mendoza TR, Cleeland CS. Prospective, observational study of pain and analgesic prescribing in medical oncology outpatients with breast, colorectal, lung, or prostate cancer. J Clin Oncol, 2012. PMID: 22508819.
- Ritchie CS, Kvale E, Fisch MJ. Multimorbidity: an issue of growing importance for oncologists. J Oncol Pract 7(37):371-4, 2011. PMID: 22379419.
- Mendoza TR, Zhao F, Cleeland CS, Wagner LI, Patrick-Miller LJ, Fisch MJ. The validity and utility of the M.D. Anderson Symptom Inventory in Patients with Breast Cancer: Evidence from the Symptom Outcomes and Practice Patterns Data from the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group. Clin Breast Cancer. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23816985.
- Tevaarwerk AJ, Lee JW, Sesto ME, Buhr KA, Cleeland CS, Manola J, Wagner Ll, Chang VT, Fisch MJ. Employment outcomes among survivors of common cancers: the Symptom Outcomes and Practice Patterns (SOAPP) study. J Cancer Surviv 7(2):191-202, 2013. PMID: 23378060.
- Hwang J, Fisch M, Zhang H, Kallen M, Routbort M, Lal L, Vierling J, Suarez-Almazor M. Low Rates of Hepatitis B Virus Screening at the Onset of Chemotherapy. Journal of Oncology Practice 8(4):32-9, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23180996.
- Zhao F, Chang VT, Cleeland C, Cleary JF, Mitchell EP, Patterson E, Wagner LI, Fisch MJ. Determinants of pain changes in ambulatory cancer patients by baseline pain severity: An analysis from ECOG E2Z02 (SOAPP Study)(MASCC Annual Meeting). Support Care Cancer 20(S151), 2012. e-Pub 2012.
- Chang VT, Zhao F, Tevaarwerk A, Mitchell EP, Patterson E, Ritchie C, Manola J, Wagner LI, Fisch MJ. Determinants of driving in cancer patients: an analysis for SOAPP (ECOG E2Z02: Symptom Outcomes and Practice Patterns)(MASCC Annual Meeting). Support Care Cancer 20(S151), 2012.