About Dr. Keating
Over the last 25 years, I have been involved in clinical research in chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). During this time the complete remission rate has risen dramatically from approximately 5% to 50 – 60%. This is associated with improvements in developmental therapeutic programs but also a dramatic improvement in our understanding of the biology and prognostic factors of CLL. CLL is a disease of the elderly and the characterization of other cancers in survivors of CLL is vitally important. Understanding of this comparison between incidence and characteristics of other cancers in CLL survivors is vitally important in its own right but must be integrated into clinical understanding of the disease. I am totally committed to providing clinical and intellectual resources at my disposal to support the program.
|1966||University of Melbourne, Melbourne, AUS, MBBS, Medicine|
|1966||St. Vincent's Hospital, Clinical School, Fitzroy, AUS, MBBS, Medicine|
|1974-1975||Fellow, The University of Texas System Cancer Center, M. D. Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute, Houston, TX|
|1971-1973||Third Assistant, St. Vincent's Hospital, University of Melbourne, Melbourne|
|1970-1971||Senior Registrar, St. Vincent's Hospital, University of Melbourne, Melbourne|
|1970-1970||Fellow, Royal Australasian College of Physicians, Sydney|
|1969-1970||Medical Registrar, St. Vincent's Hospital, Melbourne|
|1967-1968||Residency in Medicine Surgery, St. Vincent's Hospital, Fitzroy|
Professor of Medicine and Internist, Department of Leukemia, Division of Cancer Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 1999 - 2014
- Tsimberidou AM, Keating MJ. Treatment of fludarabine-refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Cancer 115(13):2824-2836, 2009. PMID: 19402170.
- Tam CS, Abruzzo LV, Lin KI, Cortes J, Lynn A, Keating MJ, Thomas DA, Pierce S, Kantarjian H, Verstovsek S. The role of cytogenetic abnormalities as a prognostic marker in primary myelofibrosis: Applicability at the time of diagnosis and later during disease course. Blood 113(18):4171-4178, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19131547.
- Tsimberidou AM, Wen S, McLaughlin P, O'Brien S, Wierda WG, Lerner S, Strom S, Freireich EJ, Medeiros LJ, Kantarjian HM, Keating MJ. Other malignancies in chronic lymphocytic leukemia/small lymphocytic lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 27(6):904-910, 2009. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 19114699.
- Rassenti LZ, Jain S, Keating MJ, Wierda WG, Grever MR, Byrd JC, Kay NE, Brown JR, Gribben JG, Neuberg DS, He F, Greaves AW, Rai KR, Kipps TJ. Relative value Of ZAP-70, CD38, and immunoglobulin mutation status in predicting aggressive disease in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Blood 112(5):1923-1930, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18577710.
- Tam CS, O'Brien S, Wierda W, Kantarjian H, Wen S, Do KA, Thomas DA, Cortes J, Lerner S, Keating MJ. Long-term results of the fludarabine, cyclophosphamide, and rituximab regimen as initial therapy of chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Blood 112(4):975-980, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18411418.
- Keating MJ, Bach C, Yasothan U, Kirkpatrick P. Bendamustine. Nat Rev Drug Discov 7(6):473-474, 2008. PMID: 18511926.
- Wierda WG, O'Brien S, Wang X, Faderl S, Ferrajoli A, Do KA, Cortes J, Thomas D, Garcia-Manero G, Koller C, Beran M, Giles F, Ravandi F, Lerner S, Kantarjian H, Keating M. Prognostic nomogram and index for overall survival in previously untreated patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Blood 109(11):4679-4685, 2007. PMID: 17299097.
- Borthakur G, O'Brien S, Wierda WG, Thomas DA, Cortes JE, Giles FJ, Kantarjian HM, Lerner S, Keating MJ. Immune anaemias in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia treated with fludarabine, cyclophosphamide and rituximab - incidence and predictors. Br J Haematol 136(6):800-805, 2007.
- Ferrajoli A, Faderl S, Keating MJ. Monoclonal antibodies in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 6(9):1231-1238, 2006. PMID: 17020457.
- O'Brien SM, Keating MJ, Mocarski ES. Updated guidelines on the management of cytomegalovirus reactivation in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia treated with alemtuzumab. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma 7(2):125-130, 2006. PMID: 17026823.
- Tsimberidou AM, O'Brien S, Kantarjian HM, Koller C, Hagemeister FB, Fayad L, Lerner S, Bueso-Ramos CE, Keating MJ. Hodgkin's transformation of chronic lymphocytic leukemia: the M. D. Anderson Cancer Center experience. Cancer 107(6):1294-1302, 2006. PMID: 16902984.
- Tsimberidou AM, Keating MJ, Bueso-Ramos CE, Kurzrock R. Epstein-Barr virus in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia: a pilot study. Leuk Lymphoma 47(5):827-836, 2006. PMID: 16753866.
- Wierda WG, Kipps TJ, Keating MJ. Novel immune-based treatment strategies for chronic lymphocytic leukemia. J Clin Oncol 23(26):6325-6332, 2005. PMID: 16155015.
- Keating MJ, O'Brien S, Albitar M, Lerner S, Plunkett W, Giles F, Andreeff M, Cortes J, Faderl S, Thomas D, Koller C, Wierda W, Detry MA, Lynn A, Kantarjian H. Early results of a chemoimmunotherapy regimen of fludarabine, cyclophosphamide, and rituximab as initial therapy for chronic lymphocytic leukemia. J Clin Oncol 23(18):4079-4088, 2005. e-Pub 2005. PMID: 15767648.
- Faderl SJ, Keating MJ. Treatment of chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Curr Hematol Rep 4(1):31-38, 2005. PMID: 15610657.
- Wierda W, O'Brien S, Wen S, Faderl S, Garcia-Manero G, Thomas D, Do KA, Cortes J, Koller C, Beran M, Ferrajoli A, Giles F, Lerner S, Albitar M, Kantarjian H, Keating M. Chemoimmunotherapy with fludarabine, cyclophosphamide, and rituximab for relapsed and refractory chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Journal of Clinical Oncology 23(18):4070-4078, 2005. PMID: 15767647.