Ming Guo, M.D.
Department of Pathology, Division of Pathology-Lab Medicine Div
About Dr. Guo
I am a clinical-track faculty in Cytopathology Section. My clinical and patient care activities are mainly to make pathology diagnoses and provide pathologic consultation to the clinicians in multiple services in MD Anderson Cancer Center. In cytopathology section, I provide interpretation of the image-guided biopsy, i.e. fine needle aspiration (FNA) and needle core biopsies, which mostly direct clinical decisions for surgical interventions. My research activities include clinical research for patient care and translational research. In clinical research, I focus on cervical cancer prevention with HPV/molecular testing in Pap specimens by validation testing assays. In addition, I made contributions on molecular testing using FNA material. In translational study, I focus on lung cancer early detection using miRNA markers.
Present Title & Affiliation
Professor, Department of Pathology/Laboratory Medicine, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor, School of Health Professions, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, School of Health Professions, Houston, TX
Education & Training
|1986||Peking Union Medical College, Beijing, CHN, MS, Pathology|
|1982||Beijing Medical University, Beijing, CHN, MD, Medicine|
|1999||The American Board of Pathology: Diplomat of the American Board of Pathology in Cytopathology|
|1996||The American Board of Pathology: Diplomat of the American Board of Pathology in Anatomic Pathology|
Experience & Service
Associate Professor, Department of Pathology/Laboratory Medicine, Division of Cytopathology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2011 - 2017
Assistant Professor, Department of Department of Pathology/Cytopathology Division, The University of Mississippi Medical Center, Jackson, MS, 1997 - 2004
Chief Resident, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, 1995 - 1996
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, The Institutional Research Grants (IRG) Program, 2011 - 2014
Member, Scientific Publication Advisory Group, 2006 - Present
Member, Medical Record Committee, 2006 - 2009
Honorary Professor, Division of Ministry of Health, Beijing Hospital, Beijing, 2016 - Present
Honors & Awards
|2018||2018 the Conquer Cancer Foundation and ASCO Young Investigator Award,collaborated with Dr. Jad Chahoud, Medical Oncology/Hematology|
|2015||Sponsor author, 'EGFR and KRAS mutations in lung carcinoma',Top-cited Article in 2014, Cancer Cytopathology|
|2009||American Society of Cytopathology Cervical Cytology and HPV Partnership Investigator Award, American Society of Cytopathology|
|2005||Jay and Lori Eisenberg Clinical Fellowship Award, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|1992||Cecil Patient Reid Fellowship, Faculty of Medicine, Queen's University Ontario, Canada|
|1986||Excellence in Research, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences/Peking Union Medical College|
- De Vivar AD, Dawlett M, Wang JP, Jack A, Gong Y, Staerkel G, Guo M. Clinical Performance of Hybrid Capture 2 Human Papillomavirus Testing for Recurrent High-Grade Cervical/Vaginal Intraepithelial Neoplasm in Patients With an ASC-US Papanicolaou Test Result During Long-Term Posttherapy Follow-up Monitoring. Arch Pathol Lab Med 139(2):219-24, 2015. PMID: 25611104.
- Guo M, Khanna A, Feng J, Patel S, Zhang W, Gong Y, Huo L, Staerkel G. Analytical performance of cervista HPV 16/18 in SurePath pap specimens. Diagn Cytopathol. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25352375.
- Guo M, Khanna A, Dhillon J, Patel SJ, Feng J, Williams MD, Bell DM, Gong Y, Katz RL, Sturgis EM, Staerkel GA. Cervista HPV assays for fine-needle aspiration specimens are a valid option for human papillomavirus testing in patients with oropharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer Cytopathol 122(2):96-103, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24339259.
- Sneige N, Dawlett MA, Kologinczak TL, Guo M. Endosalpingiosis in peritoneal washings in women with benign gynecologic conditions: Thirty-Eight Cases Confirmed With Paired Box-8 Immunohistochemical Staining and Correlation With Surgical Biopsy Findings. Cancer Cytopathol 121(10):582-90, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23674372.
- Zhao L, Gong Y, Wang J, Dawlett M, Huo L, Caraway NP, Guo M. Ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy of thyroid bed lesions from patients with thyroidectomy for thyroid carcinomas. Cancer Cytopathol 121(2):101-7, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22605565.
- Guo M, Gong Y, Wang J, Dawlett M, Patel S, Liu P, Bevers TB, Sneige N. The role of human papillomavirus type 16/18 genotyping in predicting high-grade cervical/vaginal intraepithelial neoplasm in women with mildly abnormal Papanicolaou results. Cancer Cytopathol 121(2):79-85, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23225501.
- Li Z, Austin RM, Guo M, Zhao C. Screening Test Results Associated With Cancer Diagnoses in 287 Women With Cervical Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Arch Pathol Lab Med 136(12):1533-40, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22900617.
- Kurian EM, Dawlett M, Wang J, Gong Y, Guo M. The triage efficacy of fine needle aspiration biopsy for follicular variant of papillary thyroid carcinoma using the Bethesda reporting guidelines. Diagn Cytopathol 40 Suppl 1:E69-73, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21538966.
- Wang X, Meyers C, Guo M, Zheng ZM. Up-regulation of p18Ink4c expression by oncogenic HPV E6 via p53-miR-34a pathway. Int J Cancer 129(6):1362-72, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21128241.
- Wen J, Fu JH, Zhang W, Guo M. Lung carcinoma signaling pathways activated by smoking. Chin J Cancer 30(8):551-8, 2011. PMID: 21801603.
- Wen J, Fu J, Zhang W, Guo M. Genetic and epigenetic changes in lung carcinoma and their clinical implications. Mod Pathol 24(7):932-43, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21423157.
- Guo M, Warriage I, Mutyala B, Patel S, Lin E, Gong Y, Sneige N. Evaluation of p16 immunostaining to predict high-grade cervical intraepithelial neoplasia in women with Pap results of atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance. Diagn Cytopathol 39(7):482-8, 2011. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20607682.
- Billah S, Stewart J, Staerkel G, Chen S, Gong Y, Guo M. EGFR and KRAS mutations in lung carcinoma: Molecular testing by using cytology specimens. Cancer Cytopathol 119(2):111-7, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21400670.
- Guo M, Baruch AC, Silva EG, Jan YJ, Lin E, Sneige N, Deavers MT. Efficacy of p16 and ProExC immunostaining in the detection of high-grade cervical intraepithelial neoplasia and cervical carcinoma. Am J Clin Pathol 135(2):212-20, 2011. PMID: 21228361.
- Siddiqi A, Spataro M, McIntire H, Akhtar I, Baliga M, Flowers R, Lin E, Guo M (PI). Hybrid capture 2 human papillomavirus DNA testing for women with atypical squamous cells of undetermined significance Papanicolaou results in SurePath and ThinPrep specimens. Cancer 117(5):318-25, 2009. PMID: 19693966.
- Ge Y, Sneige N, Eltorky MA, Wang Z, Lin E, Gong Y, Guo M (PI). Immunohistochemical characterization of subtypes of male breast carcinoma. Breast Cancer Res 11(3):R28, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19442295.
- Jia R, Liu X, Tao M, Kruhlak M, Guo M, Meyers C, Baker CC, Zheng ZM. Control of the papillomavirus early-to-late switch by differentially expressed SRp20. J Virol 83(1):167-80, 2009. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18945760.
- Guo M, Lin CY, Gong Y, Cogdell DE, Zhang W, Lin E, Sneige N. Human Papillomavirus Genotyping for the Eight Oncogenic Types Can Improve Specificity of HPV Testing in Women with Mildly Abnormal Pap Results. Mod Pathol 21(8):1037-1043, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18500260.
- Guo M, Gong Y, Deavers M, Silva EG, Jan YJ, Cogdell DE, Luthra R, Lin E, Lai HC, Zhang W, Sneige N. Evaluation of a commercialized in situ hybridization assay for detecting human papillomavirus DNA in tissue specimens from patients with cervical intraepithelial neoplasia and cervical carcinoma. J Clin Microbiol 46(1):274-80, 2008. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17977987.
- Guo M, Sneige N, Silva EG, Jan YJ, Cogdell DE, Lin E, Luthra R, Zhang W. Distribution and Viral Load of Eight Oncogenic Types of Human Papillomavirus (HPV) and HPV 16 Integration Status in Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia and Carcinoma. Mod Pathol 20(2):256-266, 2007. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 17192787.
- Guo M, Patel SJ, Chovanec M, Jan YJ, Tarco E, Bevers TB, Anderson K, Sneige N. A Human Papillomavirus Testing System in Women with Abnormal Pap Results, A Comparison Study with Follow-up Biopsies. Acta Cytologica 51:749-754, 2007.
- Guo M, Hu L, Martin L, Liu S, Baliga M, Hughson MD. Accuracy of liquid-based Pap tests: comparison of concurrent liquid-based tests and cervical biopsies on 782 women with previously abnormal Pap smears. Acta Cytol 49(2):132-8, 2005. PMID: 15839615.
- Hu L, Guo M, He Z, Thornton J, McDaniel LS, Hughson MD. Human papillomavirus genotyping and p16INK4a expression in cervical intraepithelial neoplasia of adolescents. Mod Pathol 18(2):267-73, 2005. PMID: 15492761.
- Guo M, Hu L, Baliga M, He Z, Hughson MD. The predictive value of p16(INK4a) and hybrid capture 2 human papillomavirus testing for high-grade cervical intraepithelial neoplasia. Am J Clin Pathol 122(6):894-901, 2004. PMID: 15539381.
- #53 Guo M, Khanna A, Dhillon J, Patel S, Feng J, Williams MD, Bell D, Gong Y, Katz RL, Sturgis EM, Staerkel GA. Cervista HPV assays for FNA specimens are a valid option for HPV testing in patients with oropharyngeal carcinoma. Cancer Cytopathology. e-Pub 2013.
- #38 Billah S, Stewart J, Staerkel G, Chen S, Gong Y, Guo M. EGFR and KRAS mutations in lung carcinoma: Molecular testing by using cytology specimens. Cancer Cytopathol. e-Pub 2011.
Grant & Contract Support
|Title:||HPV genotyping in individual patients with multiple potentially HPV-related malignancies|
|Title:||pending for Conquer cancer foundation of ASCO Identification of viral and immune biomarkers for metastasis and poor survival in penile squamous cell carcinoma|
|Funding Source:||American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)|