About Dr. Moiz U. Ahmad
Dr. Moiz Ahmad is a medical physicist, certified by the American Board of Radiology and licensed in Texas for diagnostic medical physics. He supports quality control in interventional radiology and mammography.
Dr. Ahmad’s primary research interests are: development of computed tomography technologies; and novel informatics-based approaches in quality control of medical imaging. Dr. Ahmad completed his doctoral dissertation in 2012 with a focus on improvements in image reconstruction for image-guided motion management in radiation therapy. He completed a post-doctoral fellowship in 2016 with a focus on novel x-ray fluorescence imaging instrumentation and photon-counting flat-panel instrumentation.
Dr. Ahmad serves on multiple departmental committees, is a member of the American Association of Physicists in Medicine, and a regular reviewer for two peer-reviewed scientific journals. He is a faculty member of the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and lectures in a course in the Medical Physics program.
Present Title & Affiliation
Assistant Professor, Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Education & Training
|2013||The University of Texas Health Science Center, Houston, TX, USA, PHD, Medical Physics|
|2005||The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, USA, BS, Physics|
|2005||The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, USA, BS, Electrical Engineering|
|2015-2016||Research Fellowship, Radiology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA|
|2013-2015||Research Fellowship, Radiation Oncology, Stanford University, Stanford, CA|
|2018||The American Board of Radiology|
Experience & Service
Assistant Professor, The University of Texas McGovern Medical School, Houston, TX, 2016 - 2019
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Junior Faculty Committee, 2019 - Present
Honors & Awards
|2018||Dean's Teaching Excellence Award, The University of Texas McGovern School of Medicine|
|2017||Dean's Teaching Excellence Award, The University of Texas McGovern School of Medicine|
- Ahmad M, Jacobsen MC, Thomas MA, Chen HS, Layman RR, Jones AK. A Benchmark for Automatic Noise Measurement in Clinical Computed Tomography. Medical Physics 48(2):640-647, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33283284.
- Ahmad M, Fahrig R, Pung L, Spahn M, Köster NS, Reitz S, Moore T, Choi JH, Hinshaw W, Xia Y, Müller K. Assessment of a photon-counting detector for a dual-energy C-arm angiographic system. Medical Physics 44(11):5938-5948, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28940528.
- M Ahmad, L Xiang, S Yousefi, L Xing. Theoretical detection threshold of the proton acoustic range verification technique. Medical Physics 42(10):5735-5744, 2015.
- M Ahmad, M Bazalova, R Fahrig, L Xing. Optimized detector angular configuration increases the sensitivity of X-ray fluorescence computed tomography (XFCT). IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging 34(5):1140-1147, 2015.
- Ahmad M, Bazalova M, Xiang L, Xing L. Order of magnitude sensitivity increase in X-ray Fluorescence Computed Tomography (XFCT) imaging with an optimized spectro-spatial detector configuration: theory and simulation. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging 33(5):1119-28, 2014. PMID: 24770916.
- Pan T, Riegel AC, Ahmad MU, Sun X, Chang JY, Luo D. New weighted maximum-intensity-projection images from cine CT for delineation of the lung tumor plus motion. Medical Physics 40(6):061901, 2013. PMID: 23718592.
- Castillo R, Castillo E, Fuentes D, Ahmad M, Wood AM, Ludwig MS, Guerrero T. A reference dataset for deformable image registration spatial accuracy evaluation using the COPDgene study archive. Physics in Medicine and Biology 58(9):2861-77, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23571679.
- Yan H, Wang X, Yin W, Pan T, Ahmad M, Mou X, Cerviño L, Jia X, Jiang SB. Extracting respiratory signals from thoracic cone beam CT projections. Physics in Medicine and Biology 58(5):1447-64, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23399757.
- Ahmad M, Pan T. Target-specific optimization of four-dimensional cone beam computed tomography. Medical Physics 39(9):5683-96, 2012. PMID: 22957634.
- Ahmad M, Balter P, Pan T. Four-dimensional volume-of-interest reconstruction for cone-beam computed tomography-guided radiation therapy. Medical Physics 38(10):5646-56, 2011. PMID: 21992381.
- Riegel AC, Bucci MK, Mawlawi OR, Johnson V, Ahmad M, Sun X, Luo D, Chandler AG, Pan T. Target definition of moving lung tumors in positron emission tomography: correlation of optimal activity concentration thresholds with object size, motion extent, and source-to-background ratio. Medical Physics 37(4):1742-52, 2010. PMID: 20443495.
- Ahmad, M, Liu Y, Slavens ZW, Low R, Merkle E, Hwang KP, Vu A, Ma J. A method for automatic identification of water and fat images from a symmetrically sampled dual-echo Dixon technique. Magn Reson Imaging 28(3):427-33, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20061107.
- Riegel AC, Ahmad M, Sun X, Pan T. Dose calculation with respiration-averaged CT processed from cine CT without a respiratory surrogate. Medical Physics 35(12):5738-47, 2008. PMID: 19175131.
- Ahmad M, G Pratx, M Bazalova, L Xing. X-ray Luminescence and X-ray fluorescence computed tomography: new molecular imaging modalities. IEEE Access 2:1051-1061, 2014. e-Pub 2014.
- Martin, R.,Ahmad,M., Hugo,G.,Pan,T.. MO‐F‐WAB‐10: Evaluation of Scan Time Required for Motion Tracking in Four‐Dimensional Cone Beam CT Using Patient Data Sets. The American Association of Physicists in Medicine, 2013.
- Martin,R., Rubinstein, Ahmad,M., Pan,T.. SU‐D‐144‐02: Four‐Dimensional Cone Beam CT for a Small Animal Image Guided Radiation Therapy System Without Use of An External Respiratory Monitoring System. The American Association of Physicists in Medicine, 2013.
- Yan,H., Wang,X., Yin,W.,Pat,T.,Ahmad,M., Mou,X.,Cervino. L., Jia,X., Jiang,S.. TU‐C‐213CD‐12: Respiratory Signal Extraction from Thoracic Cone Beam CT Projections. The American Association of Physicists in Medicine, 2012.
- Ahmad,M., Pan,T.. SU‐E‐J‐129: Target‐Specific Optimization of Four‐Dimensional Cone Beam Computed Tomography. The American Association of Physicists in Medicine, 2012.
- Ahmad, M.,Pan, T.. Optimization of four-dimensional cone-beam computed tomography in image-guided radiation therapy of the lung. The International Society for Optics and Photonics, 2011.
- Ahmad, M.,Pan, T.. Four-dimensional volume-of-interest reconstruction for cone-beam computerized tomography based image-guided radiation therapy of the lung. The American Association of Physicists in Medicine, 2011.
- Riegel,A., Bucci,M., Mawlawi,O., Ahmad,M., Luo,D., Chandler,A., Pan,T.. Development of new PET tumor delineation method for radiation therapy planning of NSCLC patients. Society of Nuclear Medicine, 2010.
- Riegel,A., Bucci,M., Mawlawi,O., Ahmad,M., Sun,X., Chandler, A., Pan,T.. Target Definition of Lung Cancer with PET/CT: Threshold Dependence on Lesion Size, Motion Extent, and Signal-to-background. American Society for Radiation Oncology, 2009.
- Ahmad,M., Liu,Y., SLaven,Z., Low,R., Merkle,E., Hwang,K., Vu,A., Ma,J.. SU‐FF‐I‐124: Automatic Identification of Water and Fat Images From a Symmetrically‐Sampled Dual‐Echo Dixon Technique. The American Association of Physicists in Medicine, 2009.
- Riegel,A., Bucci,M.,Ahmad,M., Sun,X., Chandler,A., , Mawlawi,O. Pan, T.. SU‐FF‐J‐175: Segmentation of Moving Targets in PET: Threshold Dependence On Lesion Size, Motion Extent, and Signal‐To‐Background. The American Association of Physicists in Medicine, 2009.
Grant & Contract Support
|Title:||Stanford Molecular Imaging Scholar Program|