Monica K Wattana, MD
Department of Emergency Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine
About Dr. Wattana
Dr. Monica Wattana is a provider in the MD Anderson Emergency Center and an Associate Professor in the Department of Emergency Medicine. She is board-certified in Emergency Medicine and joined MD Anderson in 2012.
In the News
Present Title & Affiliation
Associate Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson, Houston, TX
Education Director (Department level), Division of Internal Medicine, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Education & Training
|2008||University of California School of Medicine, Irvine, CA, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2021-2030||Certification, Association of American Medical Colleges Medical Education Research Certification, Houston, TX|
|2012-2014||Clinical Fellowship, Emergency Medicine, Pain Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2008-2012||Clinical Residency, Emergency Medicine, University of California at Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA|
|2014||American Board of Emergency Medicine|
Experience & Service
Assistant Professor, Department of Emergency Medicine, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2016 - 2021
EM Fellowship Program Director, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2021 - Present
Program Director for Rotating Residents, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2019 - Present
Graduate Medical Education Curriculum Subcommittee, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2018 - Present
Didactics Lecture Coordinator, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2018 - Present
Pain in the ED committee, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2018 - Present
Advanced Care Planning Committee, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2017 - Present
Honors & Awards
|2020||Clinical Pathologic Case Competition Faculty Winner, Baylor Emergency Medicine Residency|
- Chaftari P, Lipe DN, Wattana MK, Qdaisat A, Krishnamani PP, Thomas J, Elsayem AF, Sandoval M. Outcomes of Patients Placed in an Emergency Department Observation Unit of a Comprehensive Cancer Center. JCO Oncol Pract 18(4):e574-e585, 2022. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34905410.
- Demis N. Lipe, Phillip B. Mann, Rodrick Babakhanlou, Maria T. Cruz Carreras, A. Guido Hita, and Monica K. Wattana. Evaluation and Management of Genitourinary Emergencies in Patients with Cancer,. Hindawi-Emergency Medicine, 2021.
- Monica K. Wattana MD, Demis N. Lipe MD, MS, Christopher J. Coyne MD, MPH, Sarah Shafer MD, Patricia Brock MD, Kumar Alagappan MD. A Model Oncologic Emergency Medicine Curriculum for Residency Training. The Journal of Emergency Medicine. e-Pub 2021.
- Yeung SC, Qdaisat A, Chaftari P, Lipe D, Merlin J, Rajha E, Wechsler A, Sandoval M, Viets J, Al-Breiki A, Shah M, Pandey R, Kamal M, Khattab O, Toale K, Wattana MK, Elsayem A, Gaeta S, Brock P, Reyes-Gibby C, Alagappan K. Diagnosis and Management of Immune-Related Adverse Effects of Immune Checkpoint Therapy in the Emergency Department. Journal of the American College of Emergency Physicians Open, 2020.
- Reyes CC, Anderson KO, Gonzalez CE, Ochs HC, Wattana Mm Acharya G, Todd KH. Depression and Survival Outcomes AFter Emergency Department Cancer Pain Visits. BMJ Supportive and Palliative Care, 2018. PMID: 30171043.
- Marshall JR, Katzer R, Lotfipour S, Chakravarthy B, Shastry S, Andrusaitis J, Anderson CL, Barton ED.. Use of Physician-in-Triage Model in the Management of Abdominal Pain in an Emergency Department Observation Unit. West J Emerg Med, 2017.
- Miller AH, Sandoval M, Wattana M, Page VD, Todd KH. Cardiopulmonary resuscitation outcomes in a cancer center emergency department. Springerplus 4:106, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25793149.
- Banala, SR, Wattana, MK, Ma, M, Todd, KH. Venous Thromboembolism in Cancer Patients. Emergency Medicine 46(12):538-51, 2014.
- Fleming ML, Hatfield MD, Wattana MK, Todd KH. Exploratory study of emergency physicians' use of a prescription monitoring program using a framework of technology acceptance. J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother 28(1):19-27, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24520884.
- Wattana MK, Nelson LS, Todd KH. Prescription opioid guidelines and the emergency department. J Pain Palliat Care Pharmacother 27(2):155-62, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23713906.
- Wattana M, Bey T. Mustard gas or sulfur mustard: an old chemical agent as a new terrorist threat. Prehosp Disaster Med 24(1):19-29; discussion 30-1, 2009. PMID: 19557954.
Grant & Contract Support
|Title:||2013-2014 EMF/NIDA award titled Pilot Validation of an Opioid Misuse Risk Measure for Emergency Department Patients with Cancer|