About Dr. Busaidy
My clinical expertise and research interests are focused on endocrine and metabolic effects of cancer therapy. I have served as PI or collaborator on various trials evaluating metabolism in cancer patients. These investigations have included effects of metabolism on the cancer and its therapies and response rates.
Having served on various panels and done research in that arena, coupled with well-established collaborators in a research environment that contains other funded investigators who are doing complementary research helps to assure that these research goals are accomplished.
Professor, Department of Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormonal Disorders, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1997||Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, USA, MD, Internal Medicine|
|1993||Houston Baptist University, Houston, TX, USA, BS, Biology and Psychology|
|2003-2004||Research Fellowship, Baylor College of Medicine and The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2001-2003||Clinical Fellowship, Division of Diabetes, Endocrinology and Metabolism, Baylor College of Medicine and The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1998-2001||Clinical Residency Internal Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|1997-1998||Clinical Transitional Internship, The Royal Hospital and The Sultan Qaboos University Hospital, Sultanate of Oman|
|2003||American Board of Internal Medicine, Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism|
|2001||American Board of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine|
Associate Professor, Department of Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormonal Disorders, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2012 - 2020
Assistant Professor, Department of Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormonal Disorders, Division of Internal Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2004 - 2012
Director, Thyroid Nodule Clinic, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2009 - Present
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Clinical Research Committee, 2011 - 2013
Member, Clinical Research Committee, 2006 - 2009
|2012||Fellow, American College of Endocrinology|
|2010||Fellow, American College of Physicians|
|2006||1st Place, National Patient Safety Week Award,, Selected and Awarded by Kenneth Shine, M.D., Vice Chancellor of the University of Texas Health System|
|2006||1st Prize Clinical Research Award, Division of Internal Medicine Retreat|
|2006||Best Collaborator Award, Division of Internal Medicine Retreat|
|2003||3rd Prize Clinical Research Award, Baylor College of Medicine Research Symposium|
- Kurzrock R, Atkins J, Wheler J, Fu S, Naing A, Busaidy N, Hong D, Sherman S. Tumor Marker and Measurement Fluctuations May Not Reflect Treatment Efficacy in Patients with Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma on Long-Term RET Inhibitor Therapy. Ann Oncol 24(9):2256-61, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23676418.
- Vu K, Busaidy N , Cabanillas ME, Konopleva M, Faderl S, Thomas DA, O'Brien S, Broglio K, Ensor J, Escalante C, Andreeff M, Kantarjian H, Lavis V, Yeung SC. A randomized controlled trial of an intensive insulin regimen in patients with hyperglycemic acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Clin Lymphoma Myeloma Leuk 12(5):355-62, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22658895.
- Busaidy N, Farooki A, Dowlati A, Perentesis JP, Dancey JE, Doyle LA, Brell JM, Siu LL. Management of metabolic effects associated with anticancer agents targeting the PI3K-Akt-mTOR pathway. J Clin Oncol 30(23):2919-28, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22778315.
- Del Fabbro E, Dev R, Cabanillas ME, Busaidy N, Rodriguez EC, Bruera E. Extreme hypothyroidism associated with sunitinib treatment for metastatic renal cancer. J Chemother 24(4):221-5, 2012. PMID: 23040687.
- Morris GS, Landry CL, Grubbs EG, Jimenez C, Busaidy NL, Perrier ND. Greater than age-predicted functional deficits in older patients with primary hyperparathyroidism. Endocr Pract 18(4):450-5, 2012. PMID: 22784831.
- Busaidy N, Cabanillas ME. Differentiated Thyroid Cancer: Management of Patients with Radioiodine Non-Responsive Disease. J Thyroid Res 2012:618985, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22530159.
- Ejaz S, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R, Busaidy NL, Hu MI, Waguespack SG, Jimenez C, Ying AK, Cabanillas M, Abbara M, Habra MA. Cushing syndrome secondary to ectopic adrenocorticotropic hormone secretion: The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Experience. Cancer 117(19):4381-9, 2011. PMID: 21412758.
- Hong DS, Cabanillas ME, Wheler J, Naing A, Tsimberidou AM, Ye L, , Busaidy NL, Waguespack SG, Hernandez M, El Naggar AK, Bidyasar S, Wright J, Sherman SI, Kurzrock R. Inhibition of the Ras/Raf/MEK/ERK and RET Kinases Pathways with the Combination of the Multikinases Inhibitor Sorafenib and the Farnesyltransferase Inhibitor Tipifamib in Medullary and Differentiated Thyroid Malignancies. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96(4):997-1005, 2011. PMID: 21289252.
- Ayala-Ramirez M, Feng L, Johnson MM, Ejaz S, Habra MA, Rich T, Busaidy N, Cote GJ, Perrier N, Phan A, Patel S, Waguespack S, Jimenez C. Clinical Risk Factors for Malignancy and Overall Survival in Patients with Pheochromocytomas and Sympathetic Paragangliomas: Primary Tumor Size and Primary Tumor Location as Prognostic Indicators. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 96(3):717-25, 2011. PMID: 21190975.
- Williams MD, Suliburk JW, Staerkel GA, Busaidy NL, Clayman GL, Evans DB, Perrier ND. Clinical Significance of Distinguishing Between Follicular Lesion and Follicular Neoplasm in Thyroid Fine-Needle Aspiration Biopsy. Ann Surg Oncol 16(11):3146-53, 2009. PMID: 19727961.
- Tsimberidou AM, Vaklavas C, Wen S, Hong D, Wheler J, Ng C, Naing A, Tse S, Busaidy N, Markman M, Sherman SI, Kurzrock R. Phase I Clinical Trials in 56 Patients with Thyroid Cancer: The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Experience. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94(11):4423-32, 2009. PMID: 19820016.
- Leboulleux S, Schroeder PR, Busaidy NL, Auperin A, Corone C, Jacene HA, Ewertz ME, Bournaud C, Wahl RL, Sherman SI, Ladenson PW, Schlumberger M. Assessment of the Incremental Value of Recombinant Thyrotropin Stimulation Before 2-[18F]-Fluoro-2-Deoxy-D-Glucose Positron Emission Tomography/Computed Tomography Imaging to Localize Residual Differentiated Thyroid Cancer. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94(4):1310-6, 2009. PMID: 19158200.
- Perrier ND, Edeiken B, Nunez R, Gayed I, Jimenez C, Busaidy N, Potylchansky E, Kee S, Vu T. A Novel Nomenclature to Classify Parathyroid Adenomas. World J Surg 33(3):412-6, 2009. PMID: 19148701.
- Elliott DD, Sherman SI, Busaidy NL, Williams MD, Santarpia L, Clayman GL, El-Naggar AK. Growth Factor Receptors Expression in Anaplastic Thyroid Carcinoma: Potential Markers for Therapeutic Stratification. Hum Pathol 39(1):15-20, 2008. PMID: 17949783.
- Stava CJ, Beck ML, Feng L, Lopez A, Busaidy NL*. Diabetes Mellitus Among Cancer Survivors. Journal of Cancer Survivorship 1(2):108-15, 2007. PMID: 18648951.
- Mrozek E, Kloos RT, Ringel MD, Kresty L, Snider P, Arbogast D, Kies M, Munden R, Busaidy N, Klein MJ, Sherman SI, Shah MH.. Phase II Study of Celecoxib in Metastatic Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91(6):2201-4, 2006. PMID: 16522694.
- Pacini F, Ladenson PW, Schlumberger M, Driedger A, Luster M, Kloos RT, Sherman S, Haugen B, Corone C, Molinaro E, Elisei R, Ceccarelli C, Pinchera A, Wahl RL, Leboulleux S, Ricard M, Yoo J, Busaidy NL, Delpassand E, Hanscheid H, Felbinger R, Lassmann M, Reiners C. Radioiodine Ablation of Thyroid Remnants After Preparation with Recombinant Human Thyrotropin in Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma: Results of an International, Randomized, Controlled Study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 91(3):926-32, 2006. PMID: 16384850.
- Busaidy NL, Jimenez C, Habra MA, Schultz PN, El-Naggar AK, Clayman GL, Asper JA, Diaz EM, Jr, Evans DB, Gagel RF, Garden A, Hoff AO, Lee JE, Morrison WH, Rosenthal DI, Sherman SI, Sturgis EM, Waguespack SG, Weber RS, Wirfel K, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R. Parathyroid Carcinoma: A 22-Year Experience. Head Neck 26(8):716-26, 2004. PMID: 15287039.
- Shepler TR, Sherman SI, Faustina MM, Busaidy NL, Ahmadi MA, Esmaeli B. Nasolacrimal Duct Obstruction Associated with Radioactive Iodine Therapy for Thyroid Carcinoma. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg 19(6):479-81, 2003. PMID: 14625496.
- Baron B, Johnson B, Lamki N. The Effect of Acute IV Cocaine Challenge in Abusers on Brain Perfusion as Shown by Quantitative SPECT and Brain Perfusion Index (BPI). Journal of Nuclear Medicine 38(5):274-5, 1997.
- Johnson B, Barron B, Lamki N, Wagner L, Fang B, Simms D, Kenny P, Overton D, Wells L, Chen R, Abramson D, Minkowitz H, Shafer A, Lamki L. Brain Perfusion Abnormalities After Acute IV Cocaine Challenge in Abusers Shown by Quantitative SPECT and Brain Perfusion Index (BPI). Clinical Nuclear Medicine 22(3):199, 1997.
- Lamki N, Roberts A, Lamki L, Barron B, Chueh SC, Ephron V, Kahan BD. Tc-99m MAG3 Clearance by Camera Method in Renal Allografts: Its Relationship to Function at Various Periods. Clinical Nuclear Medicine 22(3):200, 1997.
- Ganeshan D, Paulson E, Duran C, Cabanillas ME, Busaidy N, Charnsangavej C. Current Update on Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma. AJR Am J Roentgenol 201(6):W867-76, 2013. PMID: 24261394.
- Busaidy NL, Kim E. Management of Non Radioiodine-Avid Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma. Journal of Nuclear Medicine.
- Busaidy NL "Thyroid Nodules: an Overview". Endoperspectives- Department of Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormonal Disorders Newsletter 4(3), 2011.
- Busaidy NL, Busaidy KF, Yeung SJ A 45-Year Old Man with a Maxillary Mass and Elevated Calcium Level. Medscape, 2005.
- Busaidy NL. It Pays to Pay Attention to Glucose in Hospitalized Surgical Patients. Endocrine Today, 2010.
- Kutahyalioglu M, Kwatampora LJ, Korivi BR, Ibrahim EI, Zhou S, Cabanillas ME, Jimenez C, Dadu R, Habra MA, Fogelman D, Busaidy NL*. The Effects of Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitors on Body Composition in Endocrine Tumors-Pilot Study. Endocrine Society, 2017.
- Shah MH, Wei L, Wirth LJ, Daniels GA, De Souza JA, Timmers CD, Sexton JL, Beshara M, Nichols D, Snyder N, Devine CE, Konda B, Busaidy N*. Results of randomized phase II trial of dabrafenib versus dabrafenib plus trametinib in BRAF-mutated papillary thyroid carcinoma. Journal of Clinical Oncology 35, 2017.
- Busaidy, N, Williams M, Mills G, Grubbs E, Kupferman M, Habra M, Jimenez C, Hale K, Cabanillas M, Megahed N. Molecular Profiling of Advanced Thyroid Carcinomas. Endocrine Society 2012 Conference, 2012.
- Patel P, Busaidy N, Jimenez C. Graves Ophthalmopathy and Pretibial Myxedema with Primary Hypothyroidism. Endocrine Society 2012 Conference, 2012.
- Ying A, Jimenez C, Waguespack S, Rich T, Ayala-Ramirez M, Perrier N, Hu M, Habra M, Grubbs E, Cote G, Cabanillas M, Busaidy N, Thosani S. Characterization of Pheochromocytomas in MEN 2 with RET Condon 918 and 634 Mutations. Endocrine Society 2012 Conference, 2012.
- Ayala-Ramirez M, Habra MA, Rich T, Cote G, Busaidy N, Perrier N, Dickson P, Waguespack S, Phan A, Shreyaskumar P, Jimenez C. Experience with the Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor Sunitinib in Metastasic Pheochromocytomas and Paragangliomas at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Endocrine Society 2011, Presidential Poster Presentation, 2011.
- Grubbs E, Busaidy N, Hale K, Williams M. Molecular Analysis of Brain Metastases from Thyroid Carcinomas. American Thyroid Association, 2011.
- Busaidy NL, Vu T, Grubbs E, Urbauer D, Kim E, Landry C, Jimenez C, Hu MI, Waguespack SG, Gomez H, Perrier ND. 4D Neck CT Versus SPECT/CT Using Tc99m Sestamibi in the Localization of Parathyroid Adenomas: Which Study and When?. Endocrine Society 92nd Annual Meeting, 2010.
- Cabanillas ME, Kurzrock R, Sherman SI, Tsimberidou AM, Waguespack S, Naing A, Busaidy N, Gagel R, Wright JJ, Hong DS. Phase I trial of Combination Sorafenib and Tipifarnib: The Experience in Advanced Differentiated Thyroid Cancer (DTC) and Medullary Thyroid Cancer (MTC). American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting, 2010.
- Ejaz S, Jamal S, Busaidy N, Jimenez C, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R, Habra MA. Adrenocortical Carcinoma: The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center Experience Update. American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting, 2010.
- Busaidy N, Kurzrock R, LoRusso P, Owens AD, Chen HX, Doyle L, Zhang J, Lawhorn K, Chandhasin C, Naing A. Hyperglycemia, Hypertriglyceridemia, and Hypercholesterolemia in a Phase I Trial of the Combination of an mTOR Inhibitor and IGF-1 Receptor Inhibitor. American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting, 2010.
- De Souza JA, Busaidy N, Zimrin A, Seiwert TY, Villaflor VM, Poluru KB, Reddy PL, Nam J, Vokes EE, Cohen EE. Phase II Trial of Sunitinib in Medullary Thyroid Cancer (MTC). American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting-oral presentation, 2010.
- Shah P, Busaidy NL, Kapoor S, Sherman SI, and Lavis VR. "Steroid Hyperglycemia" Is Not Benign. American Diabetes Association, 2009.
- Crawford K, Levesque C, Brady V, Owens A, Busaidy N, Lavis V. Glycemic Management of Hospitalized Patients Receiving Tube Feeding in a Cancer Center. International MASCC/ISOO Symposium, 2008.
- Brady V, Crawford K, Levesque C, Lavis V, Busaidy NL*. Increased Insulin Requirements in Patients with Diabetes Receiving Hyper-CVAD. International MASCC/ISOO Symposium, 2008.
- Feng Y, Busaidy N, Lee M, Yeung S. Differential Impact of Anti-Diabetic Treatments on Pancreatic Cancer Cell Growth in Cell Culture Conditions Mimicking Different Stages in the Natural History of Diabetes Mellitus Type 2. American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting, 2008.
- Yazbeck CF, Clayman G, Busaidy NL*. Benign Thyroid Goiter Presents with True Vocal Cord Paralysis. American Association of Clinical Endocrinology, 2007.
- Yazbeck CF, Gonzalez-Angulo A, Shaw SA, Waguespack SG, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R, Busaidy NL*. Hypocalcemia Induced by Bisphosphonates in Cancer Patients with Vitamin D Deficiency. Endocrine Society 89th Annual Meeting, 2007.
- Hu MI, Busaidy NL, Sellin RV, Waguespack SG.. Non-Islet Cell Tumor Hypoglycemia and Inappropriate Cortisol Response. Endocrine Society 89th Annual Meeting, 2007.
- Prasad A, Eng C, Shah P, Lavis V, Busaidy NL. Oncologic Outcomes in Diabetic Patients with Colon Cancer. Endocrine Society 89th Annual Meeting, 2007.
- Kapoor S, Cui J, Busaidy NL, Lavis V, Shah P. Hyperglycemic Crises in Cancer Patients. American Diabetes Association, 2007.
- Williams MD, Suliburk JW, Staerkel GA, Busaidy NL, Lee JE, Evans DB, Perrier ND. The Incidence of Occult Papillary Thyroid Carcinomas. 78th Annual Meeting of the American Thyroid Association, 2007.
- Cabanillas M, Thomas D, Waguespack S, Busaidy N*, Hoff A, Mattiuzzi G, Cassat J, Brandt M, Foudray M, Escalante C, Kantarjian H, Gagel R. Vitamin D Deficiency Occurs with High Frequency in Acute Leukemia. The Bone Disease Program of Texas 4th Annual Scientific Retreat, 2006.
- Cabanillas M, Sellin R, Thomas D, Bruera E, Mattiuzzi G, Busaidy N, Hoff A,. Hypogonadism is Common in Adult, Male Patients Receiving Frontline Chemotherapy with Hyper-CVAD for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia and Lymphoblastic Lymphoma (ALL/LL). Division of Internal Medicine Retreat, 2006.
- Cabanillas M, Thomas D, Palmer J, Mattiuzzi G, Cassat J, Foudray M, Brandt M, Lawson A, Busaidy N, Hoff A, Kantarjian H, Gagel R. HyperCVAD Chemotherapy Causes Rapid Bone Loss in Patients with Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL) and Lymphoblastic Lymphoma (LL). Division of Internal Medicine Retreat, 2006.
- Cabanillas ME, Thomas DA, Waguespack SG, Lin E, Huang X, Palmer JL, Busaidy NL, Foudray MC, Cassat JL, Lawson A, Escalante CP, Kantarjian HM, Gagel RF. Spectrum of Hormone Abnormalities Contributing to Bone Loss in Adult Patients with Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia (ALL) and Lymphoblastic Lymphoma (LL). American Society of Bone and Mineral Research, 2006.
- Fareau G, Busaidy NL. Papillary Thyroid Micro carcinoma with Metastatic Spread to Bone. 77th Annual Meeting of the American Thyroid Association, 2006.
- Geraci JM, Busaidy NL, Wang J, et al. Diabetes Mellitus is Associated with Longer Length Hospital Stay in Colorectal Cancer Surgery Patients. Division of Internal Medicine Retreat, 2005.
- Podoloff DA, Stachowiak AM, Sellin RV, Busaidy NL, Habra M, Wendt RE. Therapeutic Response to High Dose (MIBG) Metaiodobenzylguanidine Therapy for Metastatic Neuroendocrine Tumors. The Society of Nuclear Medicine, 2005.
- Busaidy NL, Jimenez C, Habra MA, Gagel RF. Secondary or Tertiary Hyperparathyroidism in Tumor-Induced Osteomalacia. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, 2004.
- Busaidy NL, Habra MA, Jimenez C, Gagel RF. Diabetes Mellitus: A Possible Paraneoplastic Syndrome?. The Endocrine Society Annual Meeting, 2004.
- Busaidy N, Hymes NS, Jimenez C, Habra M, Sarlis N. Progression of Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma Manifested as Skin Metastasis with Inflammatory Features. E831C1436. International Proceedings 12th International Congress of Endocrinology. Lisbon, 2004.
- Habra MA, Busaidy NL, Jimenez C, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R. Cowden Syndrome Associated with Galactorrhea. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, 2004.
- Jimenez C, Habra M, Busaidy N, Dekovich A, Gagel R, Sarlis N. Portal Hypertension: Yet Another Complication of Metastatic Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma. E831C1437. International Proceedings 12th International Congress of Endocrinology. Lisbon, 2004.
- Busaidy NL, Jimenez C, Habra MA et al. Parathyroid Carcinoma. 20 Years of Experience. Abstract #102098 at American Society of Clinical Oncology, 2003.
- Hu M, Jimenez C, Busaidy N, Habra M. In: Long-term and late endocrine effects of cancer survivorship. 1st. Springer, 2014.
- Habra MA, Busaidy NL, Yeung SJ, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R. Endocrine and Metabolic Complications of Cancer Therapy. In: Medical Oncology. Second. McGraw-Hill, 1235-55, 2011.
- Habra MA, Busaidy NL, Yeung SJ, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R. Endocrine Manifestations of Nonendocrine Tumors. In: Medical Oncology. McGraw-Hill, 993-1010, 2011.
- Pankaj S, Busaidy NL, Geraci J, Hamilton M, Weiser MA. Diabetes and the Cancer Patient. In: Medicine Care of Cancer Patients, 209-215, 2009.
- Busaidy NL, Kloos RT. Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma. In: Clinical Management of Thyroid Disease. Saunders, 361-382, 2009.
- Busaidy NL, Habra MA, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R. Endocrine Malignancies. In: Medical Oncology. McGraw-Hill, 819-854, 2006.
- Habra MA, Busaidy NL, Yeung SJ, Vassilopoulou-Sellin R. Endocrine Manifestations of Therapy of Nonendocrine Tumors. In: Medical Oncology. McGraw-Hill, 993-1010, 2006.