Professor of Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Director, Cytopathology Fellowship Program, Department of Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Adjunct Professor, Department of Cytotechnology Program, Division of The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center School of Health Professions, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1985||University of Texas Health Science Center - Medical School, San Antonio, TX, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1980||Trinity University, San Antonio, TX, USA, BA, Biology|
|1990-1991||Clinical Fellowship, Cytopathology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1985-1990||Clinical Residency, Anatomical and Clinical Pathology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|1992||Cytopathology by the American Board of Pathology|
|1990||Anatomical and Clinical Pathology by the American Board of Pathology|
Committee Member, Appointment and Promotion Committee, The University of Texas School of Health Professions, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2011
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Graduate Medical Education Committee, 2008 - Present
Member, Graduate Medical Education, Institutional Review Sub-committee, 2008 - Present
Subcommittee Member, Clinic Operation Subcommittee for the Ambulatory Clinic Building, 2000 - 2002
|2010||Faculty Educator of the Month (June), The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2009||Outstanding Faculty Award Program in Cytotechnology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, School of Health Professions|
|2003||Nursing Professional Development & Education Awards|
|2002||Outstanding Faculty Award Program in Cytotechnology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, School of Health Professions|
- Caraway NP, Thomas E, Khanna A, Payne L, Zhang HZ, Lin E, Keating MJ, Katz RL. Chromosomal Abnormalities Detected by Multicolor Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization in Fine Needle Aspirates from Patients with Small Lymphocytic Lymphoma Are Useful for Predicting Survival. Cancer 114(5):315-322, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18683215.
- Katz RL, Zaidi TM, Fernandez RI, Zhang J, He W, Acosta C, Daniely M, Madi L, Vargas MA, Dong Q, Gao S, Jiang J, Caraway NP, Vaporciyan AA, Roth JA, Spitz MR. Automated detection of genetic abnormalities combined with cytology in sputum is a sensitive predictor of lung cancer. Modern Pathology(8):950-60, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18500269.
- Caraway NP, Khanna A, Dawlett M, Guo M, Guo N, Lin E, Katz RL. Gain of the 3q26 Region in Cervicovaginal Liquid-Based Pap Preparations Is Associated with Squamous Intraepithelial Lesions and Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Gynecologic Oncology 110:37-42, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18433848.
- Sabichi AL, Lerner SP, Atkinson EN, Grossman HB, Caraway NP, Dinney CP, Penson DF, Matin S, Kamat A, Pisters LL, Lin DW, Katz RL, Brenner DE, Hemstreet GP 3rd, Wargo M, Bleyer A, Sanders WH, Clifford JL, Parnes HL, Lippman SM. Phase III prevention trial of fenretinide in patients with resected non-muscle-invasive bladder cancer. Clin Cancer Res 14:224-29, 2008. PMID: 18172274.
- Fan T, Li R, Todd NW, Qui Q, Fang HB, Wang H, Shen J, Zhao RY, Caraway NP, Katz RL, Stass SA, Jing F. Up regulation of 14-3-3(zeta) in Lung Cancer and Its Implication as Prognostic and Therapeutic Target. Cancer Res 67(16):7901-06, 2007. PMID: 17699796.
- Caraway NP, Khanna A, Payne L, Kamat AM, Katz RL. Combination of cytologic evaluation and quantitative digital cytometry is reliable in detecting recurrent disease in patients with urinary diversions. Cancer 111:323-29, 2007. PMID: 17721991.
- *Catrina Reading F, Schlette EJ, Stewart JM, Keating MJ, Katz RL, Caraway NP. Fine-needle aspiration biopsy findings in patients with small lymphocytic lymphoma transformed to Hodgkin lymphoma. Am J Clin Pathol 128(4):571-78, 2007. PMID: 17875507.
- *Elliot DE, Fanning TV, Caraway NP. Utility of Fine-Needle Aspiration in the Diagnosis of Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors: A Cytomorphologic and Immunohistochemical Analysis with Emphasis on Malignant Tumors. Cancer Cytopathol 108:49-55, 2006. PMID: 16130141.
- Gong Y, Caraway NP, Stewart J, Staerkel G. Metastatic ductal adenocarcinoma of the prostate: cytologic features and clinical findings. Am J Clin Pathol 126:1-8, 2006. PMID: 16891207.
- Li R, Wang H. Bekele BN, Yin Z.,Caraway NP, Katz RL, Stass SA, Jiang F. Identification of putative oncogenes in lung adenocarcinoma by a comprehensive functional genomic approach. Oncogene 25(18):2628-35, 2006. PMID: 16369491.
- Caraway NP,Stewart J. Primary Effusion Lymphoma. Pathol Case Rev 11:78-84, 2006.
- *Assad L, Resetkova E, Oliveira VL, Sun W, Stewart JM, Katz RL, Caraway NP. Cytologic features of renal medullary carcinoma. Cancer Cytopathol 105(1):28-34, 2005. PMID: 15593260.
- *Barkan GA, Caraway NP, Jiang F, Zaidi TM, Fernandez R, Vaporcyin A, Morice R, Zhou X, Bekele BN, Katz RL. Comparison of molecular abnormalities in brushings and tumor touch preparations: The potential use of fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) to identify predictive markers in early-stage lung carcinomas. Cancer Cytopathol 105:35-43, 2005. PMID: 15605362.
- Caraway NP, Gu J, Lin P, Romaguera JE, Glassman A, Katz RL. The utility of interphase fluorescence in situ hybridization for the detection of the translocation t(11;14)(q13;q32) in the diagnosis of mantle cell lymphoma on fine-needle aspiration specimens. Cancer Cytopathol 105:110-18, 2005. PMID: 15712276.
- Jiang F, Caraway NP, Li R, Katz RL. RNA silencing of S-phase kinase-interacting protein 2 inhibits proliferation and centrosome amplification in lung cancer cells. Oncogene 24:3409-19, 2005. PMID: 15735730.
- *Liu J, Katz R, Shin HJ, Johnston DA, Zhang HZ, Caraway NP. The use of mailed urine specimens in diagnosing urothelial carcinoma by cytology and DNA image analysis. Acta Cytol 49:157-62, 2005. PMID: 15839620.
- *Sun W, McGregor DK, Ordonez NG, Ayala AG, Caraway NP. Fine needle aspiration cytology of a low-grade myxoid renal epithelial neoplasm: A case report. Acta Cytol 49:2628-35, 2005. PMID: 16334030.
- Wang H, Zhang Z, Li R, Ang KK, Zhang H, Caraway NP, Katz RL, Jiang F. Over-expression of S100A2 protein as a prognostic marker for patients with stage I non small cell lung cancer. Int J Cancer 116:285-90, 2005. PMID: 15800916.
- Jiang F, Caraway NP, Nebiyou Bekele B, Zhang HZ, Khanna A, Wang H, Li R, Fernandez RL, Zaidi TM, Johnston DA, Katz RL. Surfactant protein A gene deletion and prognostics for patients with stage I non-small cell lung cancer. Clin Cancer Res 11(15):5417-24, 2005. PMID: 16061856.
- Caraway NP. Strategies to diagnose lymphoproliferative disorders by fine-needle aspiration by using ancillary studies. Cancer Cytopathol 105(6):432-42, 2005. PMID: 16222688.
- Gu J, Huh YO, Jiang F, Caraway NP, Romaguera JE, Zaidi TM, Fernandez RL, Zhang H, Khouri IF, Katz RL. Evaluation of peripheral blood involvement of mantle cell lymphoma by fluorescence in situ hybridization in comparison with immunophenotypic and morphologic findings. Mod Pathol:1-8, 2004. PMID: 15001994.
- Jiang F, Yin Z, Caraway NP, Li R, Katz RL. Genomic profiles in stage I primary non small cell lung cancer using comparative genomic hybridization analysis of cDNA microarrays. Neoplasia 6:623-35, 2004. PMID: 15548372.
- *Sun W, Caraway NP, Zhang HZ, Khanna A, Payne LG, Katz RL. Grading follicular lymphoma on fine needle aspiration specimens: Comparison with proliferative index by DNA image analysis and Ki-67 labeling index. Acta Cytol 48:119-26, 2004. PMID: 15085740.
- Caraway NP, Fanning CV, Stewart JM, Tarrand JJ, Weber KL. Coccidioidomycosis osteomyelitis masquerading as a bone tumor: A report of 2 cases. Acta Cytol 47:777-82, 2003. PMID: 14526678.
- Gong Y, Caraway NP, Gu J, Zaidi T, Fernandez R, Sun X, Huh YO, Katz RL. Evaluation of interphase fluorescence in situ hybridization for the t(14;18)(q32;q21) translocation in the diagnosis of follicular lymphoma on fine-needle aspirates: A comparison with flow cytometry immunophenotyping. Cancer Cytopathol 99:385-93, 2003. PMID: 14681948.
- Jiang F, Caraway NP, Sabichi AL, Zhang HZ, Ruitrok A, Grossman HB, Gu J, Lerner SP, Lippman S, Katz RL. Centrosomal abnormality is common in and a potential biomarker for bladder cancer. Int J Cancer 106:661-65, 2003. PMID: 12866024.
- Shin HJ, Caraway NP, Katz RL. Cytomorphologic spectrum of small lymphocytic lymphoma in patients with an accelerated clinical course: A study of 59 cases. Cancer Cytopathol 99:293-300, 2003. PMID: 14579296.
- Jiang F, Lin F, Price R, Gu J, Medeiros LJ, Zhang HZ, Xie SS, Caraway NP, Katz RL. Rapid detection of IgH/BCL2 rearrangement in follicular lymphoma by interphase fluorescence in situ hybridization with bacterial artificial chromosome probes. J Mol Diagn 4:144-49, 2002. PMID: 12169675.
- *Krishnamurthy S, Bedi DG, Caraway NP. Ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid bed. Cancer Cytopathol 93:199-205, 2001. PMID: 11391607.
- Truong LD, Caraway NP, Ngo T, Laucirica R, Katz R, Ramzy I. Renal lymphoma: The diagnostic and therapeutic roles of fine-needle aspiration. Am J Clin Pathol 15:249-53, 2001. PMID: 11190804.
- Caraway NP, Du Y, Zhang HZ, Hayes K, Katz RL. Numerical chromosome abnormalities in small lymphocytic and transformed large cell lymphomas detected by fluorescence in situ hybridization of fine needle biopsies. Cancer 90:126-32, 2000. PMID: 10794162.
- *Gao S, Caraway NP. An elderly white man with fever, leukocytosis, and splenomegaly. Primary Care & Cancer 20:39-45, 2000.
- Katz RL, Caraway NP, Gu J, Jiang F, Pasco-Miller LA, Glassman AB, Luthra R, Hayes KJ, Romaguera JE, Cabanillas FF, Medeiros LJ. Detection of chromosome 11q13 breakpoints by interphase fluorescence in situ hybridization. A useful ancillary method for the diagnosis of mantle cell lymphoma. Am J Clin Pathol 114:248-57, 2000. PMID: 10941340.
- Sturgis CD, Caraway NP, Johnston DA, Sherman SI, Kidd L, Katz RL. Image analysis of papillary thyroid carcinoma fine-needle aspirates: Significant association between aneuploidy and death from disease. Cancer Cytopathol 87:115-60, 1999. PMID: 10385447.
- Caraway NP, Fanning CV, Shin HJ, Amato RJ. Metastatic small cell carcinoma of the prostate diagnosed by fine-needle aspiration biopsy. Diagn Cytopathol 19:12-16, 1998. PMID: 9664178.
- *Hughes JH, Caraway NP, Katz RL. Blastic variant of mantle cell lymphoma: cytomorphologic, immunocytochemical, and molecular genetic features of tissue obtained by fine-needle aspiration biopsy. Diagn Cytopathol 19:59-62, 1998. PMID: 9664186.
- Shin HJ, Caraway NP. Fine-needle aspiration biopsy of metastatic small cell carcinoma from extrapulmonary sites. Diagn Cytopathol 19:177-81, 1998. PMID: 9740990.
- Caraway NP, Fanning TV. The use of fine-needle aspiration biopsy in the evaluation of splenic lesions in a cancer center. Diagn Cytopathol 16:312-16, 1997. PMID: 9143823.
- Caraway NP, Wojcik EM, Saboorian HM, Katz RL. Concomitant lymphoma and metastatic carcinoma in a lymph node: diagnosis by fine-needle aspiration biopsy in two cases. Diagn Cytopathol 17:287-91, 1997. PMID: 9316785.
- Resnick JM, Fanning CV, Caraway NP, Varma DG, Johnson M. Percutaneous needle biopsy diagnosis of benign neurogenic neoplasms. Diagn Cytopathol 16:17-25, 1997. PMID: 9034731.
- de la Roza GL, Hopkovitz A, Caraway NP, Kidd L, Dinney CP, Johnston D, Katz RL. DNA image analysis of urinary cytology: Prediction of recurrent transitional cell carcinoma. Mod Pathol 9:571-78, 1996. PMID: 8733774.
- Tauchi PS, Caraway NP, Truong LD, Kaplan AL, Ramzy I. Serous surface carcinoma of the peritoneum: Useful role of cytology in differential diagnosis and follow-up. Acta Cytol 40:429-36, 1996. PMID: 8669174.
- *Yu GH, Caraway NP. Poorly-differentiated adenoid cystic carcinoma: Cytologic appearance in fine-needle aspirates of distant metastases. Diagn Cytopathol 15:296-99, 1996. PMID: 8982584.
- Caraway NP, Fanning TV, Amato RJ, Sneige N. Fine-needle aspiration cytology of seminoma: A review of 16 cases. Diagn Cytopathol 12:327-33, 1995.
- Caraway NP, Wojcik EM, Katz RL, Ro JY, Ordonez NG. Cytologic findings of collecting duct carcinoma of the kidney. Diagn Cytopathol 13:304-09, 1995. PMID: 8599913.
- Katz RL, Caraway NP. FNA lymphoproliferative diseases: Myths and legends. Diagn Cytopathol 12:99-100, 1995. PMID: 7774507.
- Mourad WA, Sneige N, Huh YO, Katz RL, Caraway NP, Corck A, Wojcik E. Fine needle aspiration cytology of extramedullary chronic myelogenous leukemia. Acta Cytol 39:706-12, 1995. PMID: 7631544.
- *Auger M, Caraway NP, Wojcik EM, Ordonez NG. Fine needle aspiration biopsy of metastatic myxoid melanoma. Cytopathology 5:118-22, 1994. PMID: 8038423.
- Caraway NP, Staerkel GA, Fanning CV, Varma DG, Pollock RE. Diagnosing intramuscular myxoma by fine-needle aspiration: a multidisciplinary approach. Diagn Cytopathol 11:255-61, 1994. PMID: 7867468.
- Dodd LG, Caraway NP, Luna MA, Byers RM. Myoepithelioma of the parotid. Report of a case initially examined by fine needle aspiration biopsy. Acta Cytol 38:417-21, 1994. PMID: 8191835.
- Mourad WA, Sneige N, Katz RL, Caraway NP, Fanning TV. Fine-needle aspiration cytology of recurrent and metastatic mixed mesodermal tumors. Diagn Cytopathol 11:328-32, 1994. PMID: 7895570.
- Sneige N, Staerkel GA, Caraway NP, Fanning TV, Katz RL. A plea for uniform terminology and reporting of breast fine needle aspirates. M.D. Anderson Cancer Center proposal. Acta Cytol 38:971-72, 1994. PMID: 7992590.
- Tyler DS, Winchester DJ, Caraway NP, Hickey RC, Evans DB. Indeterminate fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid: identification of subgroups at high risk for invasive carcinoma. Surgery 116:1054-60, 1994. PMID: 7985087.
- Caraway NP, Fanning CV, Amato RJ, Ordonez NG, Katz RL. Fine-needle aspiration of intra-abdominal desmoplastic small cell tumor. Diagn Cytopathol 9:632-38, 1993. PMID: 8261857.
- Caraway NP, Fanning CV, Wojcik EM, Staerkel GA, Benjamin RS, Ordonez NG. Cytology of malignant melanoma of soft parts: fine-needle aspirates and exfoliative specimens. Diagn Cytopathol 9:632-8, 1993. PMID: 8143535.
- Caraway NP, Sneige N, Samaan NA. Diagnostic pitfalls in thyroid fine-needle aspiration: a review of 394 cases. Diagn Cytopathol 9:345-50, 1993. PMID: 8519202.
- Dodd LG, Sneige N, Villarreal Y, Fanning CV, Staerkel GA, Caraway NP, Silva EG, Katz RL. Quality-assurance study of simultaneously sampled, non-correlating cervical cytology and biopsies. Diagn Cytopathol 9:138-44, 1993. PMID: 8513706.
- Banez EI, Krishnan B, Ansari MQ, Caraway NP, McBride RA. False aneuploidy in benign tumors with a high lymphocyte count: A study of Warthin's tumor and benign thymoma. Hum Pathol 23:1244-51, 1992.
- Caraway NP, Hawkins EP, Hinds D, Mason EO. Penicillin susceptibility of Streptococcus pneumonia in a private pediatric hospital in Houston, Texas. Antimicrob Ag Chemother 33:1111-12, 1989. PMID: 2782861.
- Simpson RK Jr, Goodman JC, Rouah E, Caraway N, Baskin DS. Late neuropathological consequences of strangulation. Resuscitation 15:171-85, 1987. PMID: 2823356.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Sawh RN, Caraway NP. Needle-biopsy of pancreatic acinar cell carcinoma. Check Sample, 2002.
- Khanna A, Fernandez R, Zhang J, Zaidi T, Caraway NP, Spitz M, Katz RL. Evaluation of Fluorescence In Situ Hybridization (FISH) for Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (EGFR) On Cytology Versus Histology Specimens Of Non-Small Cell Lung Cancers (NSCLS). Cancer Cytopathology 114(5):343-344, 2008.
- Fernandez R, Chen B, Khanna A, Zaidi T, Zhang J, Chen JO, Caraway NP, Spitz MR, Katz RL. Short Telomere Length (TL) and Reduced Expression of Telomerase is Associated with High Stage and Poor Survival in Adenocarcinoma of Lung. Cancer Cytopathology 114(5):334, 2008.
- Khanna A, Fernandez R, Payne L, Zhang HZ, Katz RL, Caraway NP. Utility of Fluorescence in-situ Hybridization in Urinary Diversion Specimens. Cancer Cytopathology 114(5):362, 2008.
- Jacob B, Joseph T, Sneige N, Patel S, Fanning T, Morice R, Caraway NP. Immediate Assessment of Endobronchial Ultrasound Guided Transbronchial Needle Aspiration (EBUS-TBNA) by Cytotechnologists Help Optimize Patient Care. Cancer Cytopathology 114(5):413, 2008.
- Angeles R, Huang M, Konoplev S, Katz FL, Caraway NP. The Utility of Percutaneous Fine Needle Aspiration and Core Needle Biopsy in Suspected Lymphoproliferative Disorders: Comparison of 188 Cases in a Cancer Center. Cancer Cytopathology 114(5):418, 2008.
- Zaidi TM, Zhang J, Fernandez R, Dong Q, Chen B, Caraway NP, Katz RL. Evaluation of Oncogene Expression and Telomere Length (TL) in Eighty-Five Patients with Non-Small Cell Carcinoma of the Lung (NSCL). A Clinical Outcome Study. Cancer Cytopathology 114(5):406, 2008.
- Meroueh C, Caraway NP, Zhang HZ, Khanna A, Fernandez R, Payne L, Katz RL. Importance of digital image cytometry as an adjunct to cytological diagnosis of bone and soft tissue tumors. Mod Pathol 21:80A, 2008.
- Caraway NP, Khanna A, Fernandez R, Payne L, Zhang HZ, Kamat A, Katz RL. Improved accuracy for detection of urothelial carcinoma using FISH compared to cytology: A clinical pathological study of 1,006 cases. Mod Pathol 21:71A, 2008.
- Katz RL, Zaidi T, Fernandez R, Khanna A, Spitz M, Vaporciyan A, Caraway NP. Deletion of gene for surfactant protein A correlates with over expression of EGFR, CMYC, 6p11-q11 and polysomy 10/10q22-23 in non small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). A FISH based study of 45 patients. Mod Pathol 21:344A, 2008.
- Khanna A, Dawlett M, Katz RL, Lin E, Caraway NP. Fluorescence in situ hybridization detects amplifications of the human telomerase gene in preneoplastic cervical lesions on cytologic preparations is associated with higher grade lesion. Cancer Cytopathol 108:392-393, 2006.
- Thomas E, Payne L, Caraway NP, Khanna A, Zhang HZ, Lin E, Keating MJ, Katz RL. Chromosomal abnormalities detected by multicolor fluorescence in situ hybridization in lymph node aspirates from patients with small lymphocytic lymphoma are useful for predicting outcome. Cancer Cytopathol 108:417, 2006.
- Reading F, Stewart J, Schlette E, Katz RL, Caraway NP. Fine-needle aspiration biopsy findings in patients with presumed Hodgkin variant of Richter transformation. Cancer Cytopathol 108:417-418, 2006.
- Zaidi T, Katz RL, Caraway NP, Fernandez R, Zhang J, Acosta C, Jiang F, Auster M, Santo A, Bekele N, Lin D, Vaporciyan A, Roth J, Spitz M. Novel FISH test in sputum has high predictive value for presence of lung cancer and correlates with FISH abnormalities in primary tumor: A case study of 86 patients. Cancer Cytopathol 108:411-412, 2006.
- Payne L, Caraway NP, Khanna A, Fernandez F, Whang X, Hou Z, Romaguera J, Katz R. Proliferation index by Ki-67 or digital image analysis on needle aspirates of follicular lymphoma predicts grade and clinical outcome: A study of 56 patients. Cancer Cytopathol 108:416, 2006.
- Khanna A, Payne L, Zhang HZ, Caraway NP, Katz RL. DNA ploidy evaluation of 76 ileal conduit urine specimens is highly accurate in diagnosing subclinical recurrence of urothelial carcinoma. Cancer Cytopathol 105:330, 2005.
- Liu J, Rubenchik I, Caraway NP. Diagnosis of metastatic renal cell carcinoma to the pancreas by fine needle aspiration cytology and Immunocytochemistry. Arch Pathol Lab Med 129:568, 2005.
- Khanna A, Fernandez R, Caraway NP, Payne L, Zhang HZ, Bekele BN, Kamal A, Katz RL. Telomere Length (TL) is More Highly Associated with Urothelial Cancer (UC) in Urinary Tract Cytology Specimens than DNA Ploidy and Bladder Recurrence FISH Test (UBRF). Acta Cytol 48(5):666, 2004.
- Liu J, Rubenchik I, Caraway NP. Diagnosis of metastatic renal cell carcinoma to the pancreas by fine needle aspiration cytology and immunocytochemistry. Presented at the Annual Meeting of the College of American Pathologists, Phoenix, AZ:19-22, 2004.
- Barkan GA, Caraway NP, Zaidi T, Alizadeh A, Johnston D, Jiang F, Katz RL. Comparison of molecular abnormalities in bronchial brushings and tumor touch preps: The potential use of fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) as a predictive marker in early stage lung carcinomas. Mod Pathol 16:257, 2003.
- Barkan GA, Luthra R, Katz RL, Caraway NP. The use of molecular studies to aid in the diagnosis of lymphoproliferative disorders by fine needle aspiration. Mod Pathol 16(1):256, 2003.
- Elliott DD, Caraway NP, Fanning TV. Utility of fine needle aspiration in the diagnosis of gastrointestinal stromal tumors: A 4-year experience at a cancer center. Mod Pathol 16:279, 2003.
- Gong Y, Gu J, Caraway NP, Zaidi T, Sun X, Fernandez R, Katz RL. Evaluation of fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) for t(14;18)(q32;q21) translocation with flow cytometry (FCM) in the diagnosis of follicular lymphoma (FL) on fine needle aspirates (FNAs). Mod Pathol 16:286, 2003.
- Gu J. Khanna A, Caraway NP, Stewart J, Jiang F, Zhang HZ, Payne LG, Katz RL. Telomere length (TL) determined by fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) and laser scanning cytometry (LSC) on fine needle aspiration (FNAs) of non-Hodgkin's B-cell lymphomas (NHLs). Acta Cytol 47:830-831, 2003.
- Khanna A, Gu J, Zaidi TM, Zhang HZ, Fernandez RL, Pierre KS, Caraway NP, Khouri IF, Katz RL. Use of XY-FISH as powerful diagnostic tool to detect relapse in aspirates from patients with hematological malignancies who received allogeneic stem cells. Acta Cytol 47:829-830, 2003.
- Smith MJ, Caraway NP, Truong LD. Renal Lymphoma: The morphologic spectrum and clinical correlates in 23 cases. Mod Pathol 16:791, 2003.
- Wang L, Gu J, Schlette ES, Zaidi TM, Reingold SO, Caraway NP, Katz RL. The significance of t(11;14)(q13; q32) single fusion and double fusion signals in 50 patients with mantle cell lymphoma: A prospective clinicopathologic and fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) study. Mod Pathol 16:1177, 2003.
- Cao S-N, Caraway NP, Albitar M, Jilani IB, Gu J, Zaidi T, Romaguera JE, Katz RL. The clinical significance of the t(11;14)(q13;32) translocation detected by FISH in the bone marrow of patients with mantle cell lymphoma in remission. Mod Pathol 16:1038, 2003.
- Cao, S-N, Katz RL, Caraway NP, Gu J, Zaidi T, Romaguera JE. Increasing levels of bcl-l translocation cells in bone marrow may predict relapse in mantle cell lymphoma. Mod Pathol 15:234A, 2002.
- Caraway NP, Yeung SJ, Tu X, Katz RL. Utility of DNA content and ploidy analysis in identifying follicular lesions diagnosed by fine needle aspiration (FNA) that have a high risk for malignancy. Mod Pathol 15:67A, 2002.
- Wang S, Caraway NP, Huh Y, Katz RL. Diagnosis of the spectrum of marginal zone B-cell lymphoma by fine needle aspiration: A multiparametric approach. Mod Pathol 15:91A, 2002.
- Wright ET, Caraway NP, Khanna A, Jacobson K, Tarrand JJ, Katz RL. Cytologic image analysis in the diagnosis of DNA virus infection in bronchoalveolar lavage specimens. Mod Pathol 15:93A, 2002.
- Alizadeh A, Caraway NP, Rodgers D, Morice R, Jimenez A, Kurie J, Zhang H, Ruifrok A, Johnston D, Katz RL. Numerical chromosomal abnormalities (NCAs) detected in bronchial wash (BW) specimens in former smokers may detect a subset of patients at high risk of developing lung cancer. Acta Cytol 45:861, 2001.
- Shin HJ, Caraway NP, Katz RL. Cytomorphologic spectrum of small lymphocytic lymphoma (SLL) in patients with accelerated clinical course: a study of 64 cases. Mod Pathol 14:61A, 2001.
- Caraway NP, Medeiros LJ, Gu J, Luthra R, Romaguera J, Katz RL. Utility of fluorescence in-situ hybridization (FISH) to detect cyclin D1 breakpoints in staging peripheral blood (PB) and bone marrow (BM) specimens of patients with mantle cell lymphoma (MCL) negative by PCR for MTC bcl-1/JH DNA fusion sequences. Mod Pathol 13:144A, 2000.
- Khanna A, Jimenez-Ayala B, Gu J, Caraway NP, Katz RL. New multiprobe FISH test on urologic specimens is highly sensitive in the diagnosis of urothelial carcinoma. Acta Cytol 44:850, 2000.
- Krishnamurthy S, Bedi D, Caraway NP. Ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration biopsy of the thyroid bed. Mod Pathol 13:37A, 2000.
- Lin F, Jiang F, Caraway NP, Katz RL. Detection of the t(14;18) chromosomal translocation in follicular lymphoma (FL) by fluorescence in situ hybridization on fine needle aspiration (FNA) cytology specimen. Mod Pathol 13:38A, 2000.
- Ruifrok ACC, Khanna A, Caraway NP, Katz RL. Development of an expert system for objective classification of malignant lung tumors. Mod Pathol 13:216A, 2000.
- Truong L, Katz R, Ramzy I, Laucirica R, Caraway NP. Renal lymphoma diagnosed by fine needle aspiration (FNA): A study of 16 cases. Mod Pathol 13:56A, 2000.
- Caraway NP, Katz RL. Koss' diagnostic cytology and its histopathologic bases. In: Lymph nodes. 5th ed: Philadelphia,PA, 1186-1228, 2006.
- Caraway NP, Gokaslan ST, Katz RL. Atypical glandular lesions of undetermined significance. In: Cytopathology Annual, 15-36, 1997.
- Caraway NP, Katz RL. Fine needle aspiration of lymph nodes. In: Fine Needle Aspiration of Subcutaneous Organs and Masses. Lippincott-Raven, 55-80, 1996.