About Dr. Naruhiko Ikoma
Naruhiko Ikoma, M.D. is a surgical oncologist specializing in minimally-invasive surgery (robotic surgery) and multidisciplinary therapy on pancreas cancer, bile duct cancer, and gastric cancer. He completed fellowships in Surgical Oncology at MD Anderson Cancer Center and Keio University School of Medicine (Tokyo, Japan), and is Board Certified both in the United States and Japan. Dr. Ikoma received his Master’s Degree in Public Health from The University of Texas School of Public Health. His clinical research interests include improving short and long-term treatment outcomes using minimally-invasive (robotic) surgery techniques for pancreas and gastric cancers. He has received multiple research awards from the Society of Surgical Oncology and the Japanese Surgical Society for his gastric cancer research. He is also interested in improving racial disparity to deliver high-quality cancer treatment equally to all patients, through his public health research. He is an active collaborator in translational research projects of localized treatment for pancreatic and bile duct tumors.
Assistant Professor, Department of Surgical Oncology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2017||The University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston, TX, USA, MS, Epidemiology, Minor: Biostatistics|
|2007||Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo, JPN, MD, Medicine|
|2015-2018||Clinical Fellowship, Complex General Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2011-2015||Clinical Residency, General Surgery, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX|
|2007-2011||Clinical Residency, General Surgery, Keio University School of Medicine, Tokyo|
|2019||American Board of Surgery, Complex General Surgical Oncology|
|2016||Japanese Board of Surgery, General Surgery|
|2016||American Board of Surgery, General Surgery|
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Focus on Junior Faculty Committee, 2019 - Present
Member, Faculty Academic Review Committee, 2019 - Present
- Harada K, Hwang H, Wang X, Abdelhakeem A, Iwatsuki M, Blum Murphy MA, Maru DM, Weston B, Lee JH, Rogers JE, Thomas I, Shanbhag N, Zhao M, Bhutani MS, Nguyen QN, Swisher SG, Ikoma N, Badgwell BD, Hofstetter WL, Ajani JA. Frequency and Implications of Paratracheal Lymph Node Metastases in Resectable Esophageal or Gastroesophageal Junction Adenocarcinoma. Ann Surg, 2019. PMID: 31188215.
- Ikoma N, Estrella JS, Hofstetter WL, Ajani JA, Fournier KF, Mansfield PF, Skibber JM, Badgwell BD. Surgeon Assessment of Gastric Cancer Lymph Node Specimens with a Video of Technique. J Gastrointest Surg 22(11):2013-2019, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30054780.
- Ikoma N, Das P, Hofstetter W, Ajani JA, Estrella JS, Chen HC, Wang X, Callender RA, Zhu C, Roland CL, Fournier KF, Cormier JN, Mansfield P, Badgwell BD. Preoperative chemoradiation therapy induces primary-tumor complete response more frequently than chemotherapy alone in gastric cancer: analyses of the National Cancer Database 2006-2014 using propensity score matching. Gastric Cancer 21(6):1004-1013, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29730720.
- Ikoma N, Estrella JS, Hofstetter W, Das P, Minsky BD, Ajani JA, Fournier KF, Mansfield P, Badgwell BD. Nodal Downstaging in Gastric Cancer Patients: Promising Survival if ypN0 is Achieved. Ann Surg Oncol 25(7):2012-2017, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29748883.
- Ikoma N, Cloyd J, Badgwell BD, Agnes A, Rodriguez-Bigas M, Ajani JA, You YN. Clinical features and survival of gastric cancer patients with DNA mismatch repair deficiency. J Surg Oncol 117(4):707-709, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29228462.
- Ikoma N, Cormier JN, Feig B, Du XL, Yamal JM, Hofstetter W, Das P, Ajani JA, Roland CL, Fournier K, Royal R, Mansfield P, Badgwell BD. Racial disparities in preoperative chemotherapy use in gastric cancer patients in the United States: Analysis of the National Cancer Data Base, 2006-2014. Cancer 124(5):998-1007, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29393964.
- Ikoma N, Blum M, Estrella JS, Das P, Hofstetter WL, Fournier KF, Mansfield P, Ajani JA, Badgwell BD. Evaluation of the American Joint Committee on Cancer 8th edition staging system for gastric cancer patients after preoperative therapy. Gastric Cancer 21(1):74-83, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28643144.
- Ikoma N, Das P, Blum M, Estrella JS, Devine CE, Wang X, Fournier K, Mansfield P, Minsky BD, Ajani J, Badgwell BD. Preoperative Chemoradiation Therapy Does Not Increase Risk of Anastomotic Leak in Patients With Gastric Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 99(3):660-666, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29280460.
- Ikoma N, Chen HC, Wang X, Blum M, Estrella JS, Fournier K, Mansfield P, Ajani J, Badgwell BD. Patterns of Initial Recurrence in Gastric Adenocarcinoma in the Era of Preoperative Therapy. Ann Surg Oncol 24(9):2679-2687, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28332034.
- Ikoma N, You YN, Bednarski BK, Rodriguez-Bigas MA, Eng C, Das P, Kopetz S, Messick C, Skibber JM, Chang GJ. Impact of Recurrence and Salvage Surgery on Survival After Multidisciplinary Treatment of Rectal Cancer. J Clin Oncol 35(23):2631-2638, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28657814.
- Ikoma N, Blum M, Chiang YJ, Estrella JS, Roy-Chowdhuri S, Fournier K, Mansfield P, Ajani J, Badgwell BD. Race Is a Risk for Lymph Node Metastasis in Patients With Gastric Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 24(4):960-965, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27778127.
- Ikoma N, Blum M, Chiang YJ, Estrella JS, Roy-Chowdhuri S, Fournier K, Mansfield P, Ajani JA, Badgwell BD. Yield of Staging Laparoscopy and Lavage Cytology for Radiologically Occult Peritoneal Carcinomatosis of Gastric Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 23(13):4332-4337, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27384751.