About Dr. Garg
Dr. Naveen Garg is an Associate Professor of Radiology in the Abdominal Imaging section at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. He obtained his M.D. from The University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in Dallas, Texas in 2004. He completed his residency from St. Vincent Hospital, in Worchester, Massachusetts in 2005, and his fellowship in body MRI from The University of Texas Houston before joining MD Anderson Cancer Center in 2010. Dr. Garg is interested in improving the practice of radiology by more effective utilization of computing resources and data. His research interests include development of radiologist user interface tools, imaging segmentation, search and analytics of the electronic medical record, and deep learning with convolutional nets and transformers.
Present Title & Affiliation
Associate Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Medical and Radiology Informatics
Search and Analytics of Electronic Medical Record
Deep learning methods: convolutional nets, transformers, large language models.
My clinical interests are focused on colorectal patients, and lymphoma. I am one of the radiologists on the multidisciplinary colorectal case conference team for the last 10 years. I am also involved in dozens of clinical trials for lymphoma as the radiologist in charge of tumor measurements.
I try to make my radiology reports accurate, clear, and concise, with well documented tumor measurements as annotations in presentation states as my deep learning research on computer vision depends on it as well. I am versatile, and read all diagnostic modalities including CT, PET, MRI, ultrasound, plain film, and fluoroscopy. I also perform ultrasound-guided biopsies and intraoperative ultrasound.
Education & Training
|2004||UT Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, TX, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2000||University of Georgia, Athens, GA, USA, BS, Biology|
|2005-2009||Clinical Residency, Diagnostic Radiology, St. Vincent Hospital, Worcester, MA|
|2004-2005||Clinical Internship, Internal Medicine, University of Texas at Houston, Houston, TX|
|2017||American Board of Preventive Medicine|
|2009||American Board of Radiology|
- Korivi BR, Javadi S, Faria S, Sagebiel T, Garg N, Patnana M, Prasad SR. Small cell carcinoma of the ovary, hypercalcemic type: Clinical and imaging review. Current problems in diagnostic radiology 47(5):333-339, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28943050.
- Cloyd JM, Nogueras-González GM, Prakash LR, Petzel MQB, Parker NH, Ngo-Huang AT, Fogelman D, Denbo JW, Garg N, Kim MP, Lee JE, Tzeng CD, Fleming JB, Katz MHG. Anthropometric changes in patients with pancreatic cancer undergoing preoperative therapy and pancreatoduodenectomy. Journal of gastrointestinal surgery: official journal of the Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract 22(4):1-10, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29230694.
- Khan M, Cox TM, Nassif M, Alzubaidi MA, Garg N, Qiao W, Aung FM, Oo TH, Rojas-Hernandez CM. Comparative outcomes of thrombocytopenic acute leukemic patients with venous thromboembolism at a Comprehensive Cancer Center. Journal of thrombosis and thrombolysis 45(3):377-385, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29417408.
- Cox VL, Saeed Bamashmos AA, Foo WC, Gupta S, Yedururi S, Garg N, Kang HC. Lynch Syndrome: Genomics update and imaging review. Radiographics: a review publication of the Radiological Society of North America, Inc 38(2):488-489, 2018. PMID: 29528821.
- Akhtari M, Milgrom SA, Pinnix CC, Reddy JP, Dong W, Smith GL, Mawlawi O, Abou Yehia Z, Gunther J, Osborne EM, Andraos TY, Wogan CF, Rohren E, Garg N, Chuang H, Khoury JD, Oki Y, Fanale M, Dabaja BS. Re-classifying patients with early-stage Hodgkin lymphoma based on functional radiographic markers at presentation. Blood 131(1):84-94, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29038339.
- Milgrom SA, Pinnix CC, Chuang H, Oki Y, Akhtari M, Mawlawi O, Garg N, Gunther JR, Reddy JP, Smith GL, Rohren E, Hagemeister FB, Lee HJ, Fayad LE, Dong W, Osborne EM, Abou Yehia Z, Fanale M, Dabaja BS. Early-stage Hodgkin lymphoma outcomes after combined modality therapy according to the post-chemotherapy 5-point score: can residual pet-positive disease be cured with radiotherapy alone?. Br J Haematol 179(3):488-496, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28832956.
- Chéry L, Borregales LD, Fellman B, Urbauer DL, Garg N, Parker N, Katz MHG, Wood CG, Karam JA. The effects of neoadjuvant axitinib on anthropometric parameters in patients with locally advanced non-metastatic renal cell carcinoma. Urology 108:114-121, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28705573.
- Raghavendra A, Sinha AK, Le-Petross HT, Garg N, Hsu L, Patangan M, Bevers TB, Shen Y, Banu A, Tripathy D, Bedrosian I, Barcenas CH. Mammographic breast density is associated with the development of contralateral breast cancer. Cancer 123(11):1935-1940, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28135395.
- Sridharan R, Engle MP, Garg N, Wei W, Amini B. Focal uptake at the rotator interval or inferior capsule of shoulder on (18)F-FDG PET/CT is associated with adhesive capsulitis. Skeletal Radiol 46(4):533-538, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28161721.
- Wen G, Rodriguez-Niño B, Pecen FY, Vining DJ, Garg N, Markey MK. Comparative study of computational visual attention models on two-dimensional medical images. J Med Imaging (Bellingham) 4(2):025503, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28523282.
- Raj SD, Amer AM, Garg N, Krishnamurthy S, Hess KR, Park YM, Moseley T, Whitman GJ. Incidental suspicious regional lymph nodes on breast sonography: is sampling necessary?. Curr Probl Diagn Radiol 46(2):100-104, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27338308.
- Pinnix CC, Chi L, Jabbour EJ, Milgrom SA, Smith GL, Daver N, Garg N, Cykowski MD, Fuller G, Cachia D, Kamiya-Matsuoka C, Woodman K, Dinardo C, Jain N, Kadia TM, Pemmaraju N, Ohanian M, Konopleva M, Kantarjian HM, Dabaja BS. Dorsal column myelopathy after intrathecal chemotherapy for leukemia. Am J Hematol 92(2):155-160, 2017. PMID: 27874212.
- Milgrom SA, Dong W, Akhtari M, Smith GL, Pinnix CC, Mawlawi O, Rohren E, Garg N, Chuang H, Yehia ZA, Reddy JP, Gunther JR, Khoury JD, Suki T, Osborne EM, Oki Y, Fanale M, Dabaja BS. Chemotherapy response assessment by FDG-PET-CT in early-stage classical Hodgkin lymphoma: moving beyond the five-point Deauville score. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 97(2):333-338, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 28068241.
- Chauhan A, Faizi NA, Chen YJ, Jones LP, Garg N, Bhosale PR. Role of ultrasound in complications of hematopoetic stem cell transplantation. Ultrasound Q 32(3):212-23, 2016. PMID: 27556191.
- Garg N, Elshikh M, Rayan J, Wei P, Rajaram V, Bhosale P. Differentiating Pancreatic Cystic Lesion. Clin Oncol 1(1088), 2016.
- Cooper AB, Slack R, Fogelman D, Holmes HM, Petzel M, Parker N, Balachandran A, Garg N, Ngo-Huang A, Varadhachary G, Evans DB, Lee JE, Aloia T, Conrad C, Vauthey JN, Fleming JB, Katz MH. Characterization of anthropometric changes that occur during neoadjuvant therapy for potentially resectable pancreatic cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 22(7):2416-23, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25519927.
- Chauhan A, Garg N, Menias CO, Devine CE, Bhosale PR, Balachandran A. Tumor thrombus as a rare presentation of lymphoma: a case series of 14 patients. AJR Am J Roentgenol 204(4):W398-404, 2015. PMID: 25794089.
- Fogelman DR, Holmes H, Mohammed K, Katz MH, Prado CM, Lieffers J, Garg N, Varadhachary GR, Shroff R, Overman MJ, Garrett C, Wolff RA, Javle M. Does IGFR1 inhibition result in increased muscle mass loss in patients undergoing treatment for pancreatic cancer?. J Cachexia Sarcopenia Muscle 5(4):307-13, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24740741.
- Viswanathan C, Truong M, Sagebiel T, Garg N, Bhosale P. Imaging of chemotherapy-related iatrogenic abdominal and pelvic conditions. Radiol Clin North Am 52(5):1029-40, 2014. PMID: 25173656.
- Burger JA, Keating MJ, Wierda WG, Hartmann E, Hoellenriegel J, Rosin NY, de Weerdt I, Jeyakumar G, Ferrajoli A, Cardenas-Turanzas M, Lerner S, Jorgensen JL, Nogueras-González GM, Zacharian G, Huang X, Kantarjian H, Garg N, Rosenwald A, O'Brien S. Safety and activity of ibrutinib plus rituximab for patients with high-risk chronic lymphocytic leukaemia: a single-arm, phase 2 study. Lancet Oncol 15(10):1090-9, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25150798.
- Surabhi VR, Garg N, Frumovitz M, Bhosale P, Prasad SR, Meis JM. Aggressive angiomyxomas: a comprehensive imaging review with clinical and histopathologic correlation. AJR Am J Roentgenol 202(6):1171-8, 2014. PMID: 24848813.
- Wodarz D, Garg N, Komarova NL, Benjamini O, Keating MJ, Wierda WG, Kantarjian H, James D, O'Brien S, Burger JA. Kinetics of CLL cells in tissues and blood during therapy with the BTK inhibitor ibrutinib. Blood 123(26):4132-5, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24829205.
- Muralidhar GS, Markey MK, Bovik AC, Haygood TM, Stephens TW, Geiser WR, Garg N, Adrada BE, Dogan BE, Carkaci S, Khisty R, Whitman GJ. Stereoscopic interpretation of low -dose breast tomosynthesis projection images. J Digit Imaging 27(2):248-54, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24190140.
- Tanasanvimon S, Garg N, Viswanathan C, Truong M, Kaur H, Kee BK, Sahin IH, Javle MM, Garrett CR. High prevalence of recurrent thrombosis in subsets of cancer patients with isolated gonadal vein thrombosis: A single center retrospective study. Thromb Res 133(2):154-7, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24331209.
- Kang HC, Menias CO, Gaballah AH, Shroff S, Taggart MW, Garg N, Elsayes KM. Beyond the GIST: mesenchymal tumors of the stomach. Radiographics 33(6):1673-1690, 2013. PMID: 24108557.
- Neperud J, Mahvash A, Garg N, Murthy R, Szklaruk J. Can imaging patterns of neuroendocrine hepatic metastases predict response yttruim-90 radioembolotherapy?. World J Radiol 5(6):241-7, 2013. PMID: 23807902.
- Ganeshan DM, Salem U, Viswanathan C, Balachandran A, Garg N, Silverman P, Bhosale P. Complications of oncologic therapy in the abdomen and pelvis: a review. Abdom Imaging 38(1):1-21, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22644726.
- Smith GL, Duvic M, Yehia ZA, Allen P, Garg N, Suki T, Milgrom SA, Pinnix CC, Oki Y, Khoury JD, Dabaja BS. Low-dose radiation for primary cutaneous anaplastic large cell lymphoma: a retrospective patient series. Advances in Radiation Oncology.
Manuals, Teaching Aids, Other Teaching Publications
- Garg N. Garglets: various software plugins for PACS in use by over 50 radiologists and trainees at UT MDACC.
- Garg N, Bandari M, Wagner-Bartak N, Neperdu J, Mukai J, Kundra V, Vining D,. Semiautomated measurements of renal cysts. American Journal of Roentgenology 196(5_Supplement):A7 - A10, 2011.
- Garg N, Wagner-Bartak N, Mukai J, Elsayes K, Ernst R, Neperdu J, Kundra V, Vining D. Automated midline shift detection on head computer tomography. American Journal of Roentgenology 196(5_Supplement):A10 - A13, 2011.
- Vining D, Tsimberidou A, Wang J, Garg N. Multimedia structured reporting: a picture is worth a thousand words. American Journal of Roentgenology 196(5_Supplement):A10 - A13, 2011.
- Wagner-Bartak N, Marcal L, Garg N, Szklaruk J. Imaging of extrahepatic bile duct cancer: implications of the revised AJCC staging classification. American Journal of Roentgenology 196(5_Supplement):A149 - A176, 2011.
- Vining DJ, Garg N, Markey MK, Ganapathi T, Komogortsev O. Principles and radiologic applications of eye-tracking technology. American Journal of Roentgenology 196(5_Supplement):A120 - A134, 2011.
- Elsayes K, Menias C, Vikram V, Garg N, Patnana M, Devine C, Platt J. Imaging of the gallbladder wall; a pattern recognition approach on CTR and magnetic resonance imaging pathological correlation. The Society of Gastrointestinal Radiologists/Abdominal Radiology Course, 2011.
- Markey M, Bovik A, Stephens T, Haygood T, Geiser W, Garg N, Whitman G. Stereoscopic viewing of tomosynthesis projection images. XIV Medical Image Perception Society Conference 2011, 2011.
- Kramer L, Garg N. Triple inversion recovery imaging of myocardial infarction. Proceedings of Joint Meeting of the International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine and the European Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine and Biology, 2010.
- Garg N, Cheung A, Kowal D, Mukai J. Summary impressions: selecting how many and which prior radiology examinations to review. Proceedings of 57th Annual Meeting of the Association of University Radiologists, 2009. e-Pub 2009.
- Green A, Garg N. A radiology information system (RIS) search-based approach to rare case interpretation. Proceedings of Annual Meeting of the American Roentgen Ray Society, 2009.
- Garg N. Computer-assisted automatic report generation of DEXA scans. Proceedings of Indian Radiology and Imaging Association Annual Meeting, 2008.
- Pyrros A, Garg N. Faster radiology reporting through the utilization of standardized macros. Proceedings of 56th Annual Meeting of the Association of University Radiologists, 2008.
- Garg N, Akkanti B, Narvy S, Sekra A, Bader D. Mashdot: a web-based medical journal club. American Journal of Roentgenology 188(5_Supplement):A10, 2007. e-Pub 2007.
- Garg N, Chang A. Wiki-based collaborative web page for residents. American Journal of Roentgenology 186(4_Supplement):A30, 2006. e-Pub 2006.