About Dr. Navai
Dr. Navai is a native of Michigan who completed his undergraduate degree in cellular and molecular biology at the University of Michigan Ann Arbor earning class honors. He then attended the Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine in Chicago, IL where he completed his medical doctorate and was admitted to the Alpha Omega Alpha honor society. Dr. Navai remained at Northwestern University for his general surgery internship and urology residency after which he began his time here at MD Anderson as a fellow in the the Urologic Oncology program. Under the mentorship of Drs. Dinney and McConkey, Dr. Navai completed two years of basic science research elucidating molecular signatures of aggressive bladder cancer and successfully competed for the prestigious AUA Foundation Research Scholars grant. Upon completing his fellowship Dr. Navai joined as faculty in the Urology Department where he has already been awarded a Career Development grant from the bladder cancer SPORE to study novel tools aimed at improving current staging shortfalls in muscle invasive bladder cancer through enhanced imaging and molecular profiling. In his role as surgeon scientist Dr. Navai will focus on minimally invasive surgery for aggressive bladder and prostate cancers as well as furthering understanding of the underlying biology of genitourinary malignancies.
|2004||Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine, Chicago, IL, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2000||University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA, BS, Cellular and Molecular Biology|
|2010-2013||Clinical Specialist, Fellowship, Urologic Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2006-2009||Urology Resident, Urology, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL|
|2005-2006||Clinical Residency, General Surgery, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL|
|2004-2005||Clinical Internship, General Surgery, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL|
Assistant Professor, Department of Urology, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2013 - 2019
|2012||Trainee Excellence Award, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2012||Best Poster: Bladder Cancer Basic Research III, AUA|
|2010||SUO December Meeting Fellow/Resident Poster Award, SUO|
|2010||Leander W. Riba Award, Northwestern University|
|2009||Bipin Bhayani Resident Research Awards, Northwestern University|
|2003||Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society, Northwestern Medical School|
- Navai N, Benedict WF, Zhang G, Abraham A, Ainslie N, Shah JB, Grossman HB, Kamat AM, Dinney CP. Phase 1b Trial to Evaluate Tissue Response to a Second Dose of Intravesical Recombinant Adenoviral Interferon α2b Formulated in Syn3 for Failures of Bacillus Calmette-Guerin (BCG) Therapy in Nonmuscle Invasive Bladder Cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 23(12):4110-4114, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27387678.
- Dinney CP, Fisher MB, Navai N, O'Donnell MA, Cutler D, Abraham A, Young S, Hutchins B, Caceres M, Kishnani N, Sode G, Cullen C, Zhang G, Grossman HB, Kamat AM, Gonzales M, Kincaid M, Ainslie N, Maneval DC, Wszolek MF, Benedict WF. Phase I Trial of Intravesical Recombinant Adenovirus Mediated Interferon-α2b Formulated in Syn3 for Bacillus Calmette-Guérin Failures in Nonmuscle Invasive Bladder Cancer. J Urol 190(3):850-6, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23507396.
- Tran MN, Choi W, Wszolek MF, Navai N, Lee IL, Nitti G, Wen S, Flores ER, Siefker-Radtke A, Czerniak B, Dinney C, Barton M, McConkey DJ. The p63 protein isoform ?Np63α inhibits epithelial-mesenchymal transition in human bladder cancer cells: role of MIR-205. J Biol Chem 288(5):3275-88, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23239884.
- Navai N, Wood CG. Environmental and modifiable risk factors in renal cell carcinoma. Urol Oncol 30(2):220-4, 2012. PMID: 22385993.
- Rebuck DA, Zhao LC, Helfand BT, Casey JT, Navai N, Perry KT, Nadler RB. Simple modifications in operating room processes to reduce the times and costs associated with robot-assisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy. J Endourol 25(6):955-60, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21457071.
- Alphs HH, Navai N, Köhler TS, McVary KT. Preoperative clinical and diagnostic characteristics of patients who require delayed IPP after primary Peyronies repair. J Sex Med 7(3):1262-8, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20059657.
- Meeks JJ, Zhao LC, Navai N, Perry KT, Nadler RB, Smith ND. Risk factors and management of urine leaks after partial nephrectomy. J Urol 180(6):2375-8, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18930268.
- Navai N, Erickson BA, Zhao LC, Okotie OT, Gonzalez CM. Complications following urethral reconstructive surgery: a six year experience. Int Braz J Urol 34(5):594-600; discussion 601, 2008. PMID: 18986563.
- Navai N, Ramos P, Zhao LC, Meeks JJ, Nadler RB, Smith ND. Why not partial nephrectomy?. Urology 72(2):243-6, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18584853.
- Casey JT, Erickson BA, Navai N, Zhao LC, Meeks JJ, Gonzalez CM. Urethral reconstruction in patients with neurogenic bladder dysfunction. J Urol 180(1):197-200, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18499188.
- Erickson BA, Navai N, Patil M, Chang A, Gonzalez CM. A prospective, randomized trial evaluating the use of hydrogel coated latex versus all silicone urethral catheters after urethral reconstructive surgery. J Urol 179(1):203-6, 2008. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 18001794.
- Navai N, Yap RL, Gupta R, Fraser TG, Gonzalez CM. Inflammatory pseudotumor of the testis: a novel presentation of acute retroviral syndrome. Int J Urol 12(4):424-6, 2005. PMID: 15948738.
- Saporita AJ, Zhang Q, Navai N, Dincer Z, Hahn J, Cai X, Wang Z. Identification and characterization of a ligand-regulated nuclear export signal in androgen receptor. J Biol Chem 278(43):41998-2005, 2003. e-Pub 2003. PMID: 12923188.