About Dr. Nico Nortje
I am a clinical ethicist and Assistant Professor in the Department of Critical Care and Respiratory Care’s Section of Integrated Ethics at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. My research focus revolve around end-of-life issues, vulnerable communities and decision-making. My experience working with members of vulnerable communities has highlighted their plight and even more so when considering end-of-life care.
I have been involved in various projects in Africa where the main focus is to create ethical awareness to patient rights and training healthcare students from various fields. Through teaching I have gained a clearer understanding of the changing field of ethical dilemmas which healthcare students and workers face within their routine day-to-day work. In addition, my in-depth analysis of the root cause of ethical transgressions by healthcare professionals has influenced the field of ethics education in Africa. My research has been applied in various courses in Africa (an exit module in two departments, as well as a professional development course for lecturers at tertiary level) to assist those who complete the courses in identifying moral and ethical issues and approach them in a dialectical manner. My research has shown that these methodologies do in fact work and that the methodology of teaching carries great importance, and translates into a greater awareness of patient rights. The aforementioned has led to the development of various publications which has in turn initiated curricula changes of ethics courses taught at tertiary level and different universities on the African continent.
Assistant Professor, Department of Critical Care, Division of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor Extraordinary, Division of Faculty of Community and Health, The University of the Western Cape, Bellville
Research Fellow, Department of Psychology, The University of the Free State, Bloemfontein
I have a keen interest in how psycho-social values inform ethical decision-making. My interest lies in the field of decision-making and the choices surrogates need to make in end-of-life care.
Clinical Expertise: Clinical ethics, clinical ethics consultations, and end-of-life decision making of different population groups (i.e. informed; vulnerable; elderly)
|2010||University of Stellenbosch, Stellenbosch, ZAF, MPhil, Business (Futures Studies)|
|2007||University of Stellenbosch, Stellenbosch, ZAF, PHD, Ethics|
|2001||University of Stellenbosch, Stellenbosch, ZAF, MA, Psychology|
|1996||University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, ZAF, BSocSc Hons, Psychology|
|1995||University of the Free State, Bloemfontein, ZAF, BSocSc, Psychology|
|2015-2015||Certificate, Ethics Teacher Training, UNESCO, Johannesburg|
|2008-2010||Post Graduate Diploma, Medical Law, University of South Africa, Pretoria|
Abstract reviewer for 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 National Conference, American Society of Bioethics and Humanities, Rosemont, IL, 2018 - Present
Chair - Scientific Review Committee, International Association on Ethics Education (6th International Conference), Cape Town, 2018 - 2018
Institutional Committee Activities
Content Expert (Ethics), Clinical and Operational Leadership Team (COLT), 2019 - 2020
Member, Psychosocial, Behavioral, and Health Services Research Committee, 2018 - Present
Associate Member, Institutional Review Board 4 (IRB4), 2018 - Present
Member, Advanced Care Planning Committee, 2018 - 2019
Member, Psychosocial Council, 2017 - 2019
|2018||National Research Foundation Scholar Award (South Africa)|
- Nortje N, Bonofiglio K, Sotomayor C. Exploring values among three cultures from a global bioethics perspective. Global Bioethics Journal 32(1):1-14, 2021. e-Pub 2021.
- Hardy N & Nortje N. Facilitated Conversation: Tools in the ethicist's toolkit. Canadian Journal of Bioethics 3(1), 2020.
- Nortje N. Speaking for our father – a narrative analysis. Narrative Inquiry in Bioethics 9(2), 2019.
- Nortje, N.. Helping Surrogate Decision-Makers Through Difficult Conversations. Canadian Journal of Bioethics 1(2):89-90, 2018.
- Fouche P, Nortje N, Welman C, van Niekerk R. Emily Hobhouse's Psychosocial Development trajectory as Anti-War Campaigner: A Levinsonian Psychobiography. Indo-Pacific Jopurnal of Phenomenology 18:1-15, 2018.
- Nortjé, N., Hoffmann, W.A.. Perspectives on the development of professionalism as experienced by. Radiography 24:110-114, 2018.
- Nortjé N. Attributes contributing to the development of professionalism as described by dietetics students. South African Journal of Clinical Nutrition 30(1):21-23, 2017.
- Nortje N, Faber M, de Villiers A. School tuck shops in South Africa—an ethical appraisal. South African Journal of Clinical Nutrition 30(3):74-79, 2017.
- Nortjé N, De Jongh J. Professionalism – A case for medical education to honour the societal contract. South African Journal of Occupational Therapy 47(2):41-44, 2017.
- Nortjé N, Hoffmann WA. Seven year overview (2007-2013) of ethical transgressions by registered healthcare professionals in South Africa. Health SA Gesondheid 21(1):46-53, 2016.
- Nortjé N, De Jongh J. Client Confidentiality: Perspectives Of Students Engaged In A Health Care Training Programme. South African Journal of Bioethics and Law 9(1):31-34, 2016.
- Fouché P, Burnell B, van Niekerk R, Nortjé, N. The faith development of the anti-apartheid theologian Beyers Naude: A Psychobiography. Spirituality in Clinical Practice 3(4):276-288, 2016.
- Hoffmann WA, Nortjé N. Patterns of unprofessional conduct by medical practitioners in South Africa (2007–2013). South African Family Practice 58(3):108-113, 2016.
- Nortjé N, Albertyn R. The Cultural language of Pain – A South African Study. South African Family Practice 28(2):77-80, 2015.
- Nortjé N, Hoffmann WA. Ethics Misconduct amongst Dietetic Practitioners In South Africa (2007-2013). South African Journal of Clinical Nutrition 45(2):260-270, 2015.
- Nortjé N, Hoffmann WA. Ethical Misconduct of Registered Psychologists In South Africa During The Period 2007-2013. South African Journal of Psychology 45(2):260-270, 2015.
- Nortjé N, De Jongh J. Ethical dilemmas experienced by Occupational Therapy students – The reality. African Journal of Health Professions Education 7(2):187-189, 2015.
- Nortjé N, Esterhuyse K. Changing students’ moral reasoning ability – is it at all possible?. African Journal of Health Professions Education 7(2):180-182, 2015.
- Hoffmann WA, Nortjé N. Ethical misconduct by registered physiotherapists in South Africa (2007–2013): A mixed methods approach. South African Journal of Physiotherapy 71(1):1-7, 2015.
- Nortjé N, Hoffmann WA. Common ethical transgressions by registered Occupational Therapists. South African Journal of Occupational Therapy 45(3):55-57, 2015.
- Nortjé N, Hoffmann WA. Professional consequence for dentists involved in unethical decision-making in South Africa. J Forensic Odontostomatol 32 Suppl 1:22-9, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25557412.
- Albertyn R, Nortjé N. Retrospective assessment of pain and suffering in child abuse and homicide victims. Journal of Social Work 50(3):410-420, 2014.
- Nortjé N. Ethical tensions faced by dietetic students during fieldwork. South African Journal of Clinical Nutrition 6(1):28-31, 2014.
- Strydom L, Nortjé N, Beukes R, Esterhuyse K, van der Westhuisen, J. Job satisfaction amongst teachers at special schools. South African Journal of Education 32(3):255-266, 2013.
- Nortjé N, Fouché P, Gogo, O. The neo-Adlerian holistic wellness of Brenda Fassie: A psychobiography. Online Journal of African Affairs 2(2), 2013.
- Solomons N, Nortjé N. Treating an intervention level 1 (IL-1) patient –. South African Journal of Clinical Nutrition 26(4):176-180, 2013.
- Nortjé N. Cultural Perspectives on Euthanasia. Research in Psychology and Behavioral Sciences 1(5):77-80, 2013.
- Esterhuyse K, Nortjé N, Pienaar A, Beukes R. Sense of humour and adolescents’ cognitive flexibility. South African Family Practice 55(1):90-95, 2013.
- van Niekerk A, Nortjé N. Phronesis and an ethics of Responsibility. South African Journal of Bioethics and Law 6(1):28-31, 2013.
- Swanepoel P, Esterhuyse K, Beukes R, Nortjé, N. Die rol van coping in die verband tussen geestelike welstand en depressie by predikante. (The role of coping with regards to spiritual wellbeing and depression amongst ministers of faith). Practical Theology in South Africa 68(1):1071-1079, 2012.
- Lowe, C, Du Plessis, E, Nortjé, N. Perceived Child Rearing Practices as Predictors of Student’s Satisfaction with Sexual Relationships. Journal of Psychology in Africa 21(4):595-598, 2011.
- Fouché P, Nortjé N, Phillips K, Stroud L. Psychofortology of Women undergoing Infertility Treatment. Journal of Psychology in Africa 21(4):541-548, 2011.
- Nortjé, N, de Vos, H, le Roux, M. The attitudes of older South Africans towards euthanasia. Social Work – A professional journal for the social worker 40(3):283-293, 2004.
- Nortje N, Hoffmann WA. Research ethics in social sciences and integrity in Africa. In: Social Science Research Ethics in Africa. Springer: Dordrecht, 117-123, 2019.
- Hoffmann WA, Nortjé N. Ethics review framework and guidelines for social science research. In: Social Science Research Ethics in Africa. Springer: Dordrecht, 229-248, 2019.
- Nortje N, Mfutso-Bengo J, Hoffmann, WA. Bioethics and Its Development on the African Continent. In: African Perspectives on Ethics for Healthcare Professionals. Springer: Dordrecht, 1-10, 2018.
- Nortje N, Hoffmann WA, de Jongh J. Professionalism in a changing society - The role of Ethics. In: African Perspectives on Ethics for Healthcare Professionals. Springer: Dordrecht, 11-24, 2018.
- Kunneke E, Swart R, Nortje N. Ethics for the dietetic profession - A South African perspective. In: African Perspectives on Ethics for Healthcare Professionals. Springer: Dordrecht, 91-106, 2018.
- Hoffmann WA, Nortjé N. Curriculum guidelines for teaching healthcare ethics at an undergraduate level. In: African Perspectives on Ethics for Healthcare Professionals. Springer: Dordrecht, 251-266, 2018.
- Nortjé N. Critical Illness and Care. In: Encyclopedia of Global Bioethics. Springer: New York, 1-7, 2015.
- Nortjé N. Passive Euthanasia. In: Encyclopedia of Global Bioethics. Springer: New York, 1-7, 2015.
- Nortjé N, Gwyther L. Ethical Issues. In: Legal Aspects of Palliative Care. 2nd. HPCSA: Cape Town, South Africa, 242, 2014.
- Hoffmann WA, Nortjé N. Education: Assessment. In: Encyclopedia of Global Bioethics. Springer: New York, 1-12, 2014.
Books (edited and written)
- Nortje N, Visage R, Wessels JA. Social Science Research Ethics in Africa. Ed(s) Nortje N, Visage R, Wessels JA. Springer: Dordrecht, 2019.
- Nortje N, Hoffmann WA, de Jongh J. African Perspectives on Ethics for Healthcare Professionals. Ed(s) Nortje N, Hoffmann WA, de Jongh J. Springer: Dordrecht, 2018.