About Dr. Weaver
Dr. Olena O. Weaver, MD, is an Associate Professor in the Department of Breast Imaging at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Dr. Weaver is a board-certified diagnostic radiologist with fellowship training in Breast and Women's Imaging. She has a background in general and breast surgery and has experience in both academic and community settings.
Dr. Weaver serves as the Breast Imaging Director of Contrast Enhanced Mammography and is overseeing the clinical and research program on contrast enhanced mammography (CEM) at MD Anderson. She is the principal investigator on several ongoing funded research protocols investigating various applications of CEM.
In collaboration with the Red and Charline McCombs Institute for the Early Detection and Treatment of Cancer, Dr. Weaver is conducting research on personalized breast cancer screening and risk assessment. She co-leads a large prospective research study of breast cancer screening patients called MERIT (Mammography, Early detection biomarkers, Risk assessment, and Imaging Technologies). The MERIT study is evaluating new technologies, including blood tests, various modern imaging techniques, and artificial intelligence, to improve early breast cancer detection for all women, while tailoring it to individual characteristics and risk factors.
Dr. Weaver works with collaborative multi-specialty teams of MD Anderson physicians to bring individualized imaging services to patients. She interprets all breast imaging modalities, including mammography, digital breast tomosynthesis, contrast enhanced mammography (CEM), ultrasound, MRI, and molecular breast imaging. Dr. Weaver is proficient in all interventional breast procedures. She was awarded a research grant for investigating CEM-guided biopsies, which allowed her to pioneer this technology at MD Anderson and to bring the first CEM-guided biopsy capability to Texas.
Associate Professor, Department of Breast Imaging, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Combination of imaging and basic science for developing personalized approaches to breast cancer early detection and risk stratification.
Contrast enhanced mammography for improved accuracy of diagnosis in challenging clinical situations (such as abnormal nipple discharge, mammographic calcifications and architectural distortions, abnormalities in women with breast implants, etc.)
Contrast enhanced mammography for breast cancer screening in women with dense breasts and in women at high risk for breast cancer.
Using artificial intelligence for creating personalized risk stratification models which incorporate imaging findings and blood biomarkers.
Screening and diagnostic breast imaging, all modalities
Minimally invasive breast interventions
Multidisciplinary approach to breast cancer diagnosis and treatment
|1999||Bogomolets National Medical University, Kiev, UKR, MD, Doctor of Medicine|
|2011-2012||Clinical Fellowship, Breast and Women's Imaging, Magee-Women's Hospital, Pittsburgh, PA|
|2007-2011||Clinical Residency, Saint Louis University, Saint Louis, MO|
|2005-2006||Clinical Residency, Preliminary Surgery, Saint Louis University, Saint Louis, MO|
|1999-2001||Clinical Residency, General Surgery, Kiev Medical Academy of Postgraduate Education, Kiev|
|2011||American Board of Radiology|
Assistant Professor, Department of Breast Imaging, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2019 - 2022
Assistant Professor, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2014 - 2019
Director of Contrast Enhanced Mammography, Department of Breast Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2021 - Present
Director of Bone Densitometry, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center/Memorial Hermann Breast Screening Network, Houston, TX, 2016 - 2020
Physician Leader, DXA Program, Department of Diagnostic Radiology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center/Memorial Hermann Breast Screening Network, Houston, TX, 2014 - 2016
General and Breast Radiology, Sun City Imaging, Sun City, AZ, 2012 - 2014
Surgeon, Kiev Municipal Oncological Hospital, Kyiv, 2001 - 2001
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Diagnostic Imaging Innovation Task Force, 2020 - Present
Member, Industry Strategic Partnerships, 2019 - Present
|2022||Innovator Award, Breast Imaging Department|
|2019||Association of University Radiologists Academic Faculty Development Program, Diagnostic Radiology Nomination, Association of University Radiologists|
|2018||MD Anderson's Faculty Excellence Award in Prevention Outreach, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2011||Heart of Leadership Faculty Development Program, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2009||RSNA Research Resident Grant, The Toshiba America Medical Systems|
- Cohen EO, Weaver O, Korhonen KE, Sun J, Leung JWT. Retrospective comparison of the lateral-arm and vertical needle approaches for prone tomosynthesis-guided breast biopsy. Can Assoc Radiol J:8465371231164601. e-Pub 2023. PMID: 36947722.
- Weaver OO, Yang WT, Scoggins ME, Adrada BE, Arribas E, Moseley T, Esquivel J, Melgar Y, Kornecki A. Challenging Contrast-Enhanced Mammography-Guided Biopsies: Practical Approach Using Real-Time Multimodality Imaging and a Proposed Procedural Algorithm. AJR Am J Roentgenol. e-Pub 2022. PMID: 36321982.
- Rigaud B, Weaver OO, Dennison JB, Awais M, Anderson BM, Chiang TD, Yang WT, Leung JWT, Hanash SM, Brock KK. Deep learning models for automated assessment of breast density using multiple mammographic image types. Cancers (Basel) 14(20), 2022. e-Pub 2022. PMID: 36291787.
- Weaver O, Cohen EO, Perry RE, Tso HH, Phalak K, Srinivasan A, Bassett R, Leung JWT. Does lateral arm technique decrease the rate of clip migration in stereotactic and tomosynthesis-guided biopsies?. Insights Imaging 12(1):193, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34931266.
- Lane DL, Neelapu SS, Xu G, Weaver O. COVID-19 vaccine-related axillary and cervical lymphadenopathy in patients with current or prior breast cancer and other malignancies: cross-sectional imaging findings on MRI, CT, and PET-CT. Korean J Radiol 22(12):1938-1945, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34719892.
- Shu H, Chiang T, Wei P, Do KA, Lesslie MD, Cohen EO, Srinivasan A, Moseley TW, Chang Sen LQ, Leung JWT, Dennison JB, Hanash SM, Weaver O. A deep learning approach to re-create raw full-field digital mammograms for breast density and texture analysis. Radiol Artif Intell 3(4):e200097, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34350403.
- Cohen EO, Lesslie M, Weaver O, Phalak K, Tso H, Perry R, Leung JWT. Batch reading and interrupted interpretation of digital screening mammograms without and with tomosynthesis. J Am Coll Radiol 18(2):280-293, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32861601.
- Weaver O, Yang W. Imaging of breast cancers with predilection for non-mass pattern of growth: invasive lobular carcinoma and DCIS-does imaging capture it all?. Am J Roentgenol 215(6):1504-1511, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33021831.
- Cohen EO, Weaver O, Tso HH, Gerlach KE, Leung JWT. Breast cancer screening via digital mammography, synthetic mammography, and tomosynthesis. Am J Prev Med 58(3):470-472, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31732323.
- Shin K, Weaver O, Wei W, Caudle AS, Kuerer HM, Yang WT. Sonographic features of benign and malignant axillary nodes post-neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Breast J 26(2):182-187, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31448480.
- Weaver O, Leung JWT. Biomarkers and imaging of breast cancer. AJR Am J Roentgenol 210(2):271-278, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29166151.
- Natesan R, Santiago L, Kalambo M, Martaindale S, Legha R, Weaver O, Batsell R, Wei W, Leung JWT, Yang WT. The impact of patient demographics on the selection of breast imaging centers. AJR Am J Roentgenol 209(3):W184-W193, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28657849.
- Li X, Weaver O, Desouki MM, Dabbs D, Shyum S, Carter G, Zhao C. Microcalcification is an important factor in the management of breast intraductal papillomas diagnosed on core biopsy. Am J Clin Pathol 138(6):789-795, 2012. PMID: 23161711.
- Weaver O, Stazzone MM, Bhalla S. Progressive pulmonary calcification in a child after orthotopic liver transplantation. Pediatr Radiol 36(6)(6):546-51, 2006. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 16568296.
- Iaremchuk OI, Zotov OS, Bielik OO, Mil'hram SS. Complications of acute lesions of the digestive tract as a direct cause of mortality in patients with advanced forms of neoplasms in palliative and symptomatic treatment. Klin Khir(9):36-8, 2001. PMID: 11785400.
- Yaremchuk AY, Zotov AS, Weaver O, Drozdov VM, Gotlieb VA. Comparative assessment of different methods of examination for diagnosis of palpable breast lumps. Materials of 10th international conference of oncologists, 2001.
- OO Weaver. Moving Forward With Contrast-Enhanced Mammography. ARRS in Practice, 2022. e-Pub 2022.
- Weaver O, Scoggins ME, Adrada BE, Arribas E, Yang WT. Digital breast tomosynthesis combined with contrast-enhanced spectral mammography helps reveal anatomic causes of artifacts and benign enhancing findings on subtracted contrast images. European Congress of Radiology (ECR), 2022.
- Weaver O, Arribas E, Adrada B, Moseley TW, Scoggins ME. The feasibility of a new built-in specimen radiography solution for the optimization of stereotactic breast biopsy workflow. 107th Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America Annual Meeting Program, 2021.
- Weaver O, Cohen E, Perry R, Tso HH, Phalak K, Srinivasan A, Bassett R, Leung WT. Does lateral arm technique decrease the rate of clip migration in stereotactic and tomosynthesis-guided biopsies?. 107th Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America Annual Meeting Program, 2021.
- Tso HH, Cohen E, Lesslie M, Weaver O, Phalak K, Leung J. Retrospective review of batch reading and interrupted interpretation of digital screening mammograms without and with tomosynthesis. 106th Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America Annual Meeting Program, 2020.
- Chiang T, Salama MA, Yang WT, Weaver O. Creating an integrated research platform on the basis of clinical PACS. 105th Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America Annual Meeting Program, 2019.
- Weaver O, Cohen E, Perry R, Tso H, Phalak K, Srinivasan A, Wei W, Leung J. Lateral arm stereotactic biopsy decreases the distance of clip migration. 2019 Society of Breast Imaging/American College of Radiology Symposium, 2019.
- Weaver O, Cohen E, Perry R, Tso H, Phalak K, Srinivasan A, Wei W. Comparison of the rate of hematoma formation and the size of hematomas between lateral arm and conventional stereotactic biopsy techniques. European Society of Breast Imaging Annual Scientific Meeting, 2018.
- Weaver O, Leung J, Liu R, Basen-Engquist K, Fahrmann J, Wei P, Dennison J, Hanash S. Multidisciplinary approach to the discovery of breast cancer early biomarkers: MERIT cohort. Annual Global Academic Programs (GAP) Conference, 2018.
- Weaver O, Dennison J, Leung J, Liu R, Basen-Engquist K, Hanash S. Launching a new era of breast cancer early detection. Annual Global Academic Programs (GAP) Conference, 2018.
- Weaver O, Cohen E, Perry R, Tso H, Phalak K, Srinivasan S, Leung J. Evaluation of the "lateral arm" stereotactic biopsy approach and its impact on clip migration rate. European Society of Breast Imaging (EUSOBI) Annual Scientific Meeting, 2017.
- Weaver O, Leung J. Translation medicine for radiologists: a simple talk about complex matters. 2017 Society of Breast Imaging/American College of Radiology Symposium, 2017.
- Weaver O, Muzaffar R, Altinyay ME, Perman WH, Doherty CM, Snell S. Incidental breast lesion in FDG PET/CT: correlation with pathology and anatomical breast imaging. 87th Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America Annual Meeting Program, 2011.
- Muzaffar R, Altinyay M, Sarajilic L, Weaver O, Snell S, Doherty C, Nguyen N, Osman M. Incidental diagnosis of breast cancer in FDG PET/CT: frequency in 1283 patients. Journal of Nuclear Medicine 52(1):403, 2011.