About Dr. Mawlawi
Section Chief, Nuclear Medicine Physics Section, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Professor, Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Faculty, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences, Houston, TX
His research interests are focused on Nuclear Medicine physics with specific focus on PET/CT imaging.
Areas of specialization include:PET/CT and PET/MR image formation, quantification and accuracy Radionuclide dosimetry Kinetic modeling
The research in his laboratory is directed at functional imaging using Positron Emission Tomography (PET). A strong interest lies in the factors affecting absolute quantification of PET images such as partial volume, scatter, and patient motion artifacts. Ongoing research is looking at novel techniques of image acquisition, correction and formation. Other interests lie in modeling the distribution of novel radiotracers to image specific biochemical processes such as metabolism, blood flow, receptor binding and expression.
A tutorial in his lab would provide the student with an in-depth experience of functional imaging using PET. Moreover, the student will get hands-on experience with image acquisition, reconstruction, and analysis software tools.
PET/CT, SPECT/CT, and Nuclear Medicine imaging Quality control, assurance, and improvement of Nuclear Medicine and PET imaging
|1999||Columbia University, New York, NY, USA, PHD, Biomedical Engineering|
|1990||Polytechnic University, Brooklyn, NY, USA, MS, Biomedical Engineering|
|1988||American University of Beirut, Beirut, LBN, BE, Electrical Engineering|
|2009||American Board of Radiology Diagnostic Radiological Physics|
|2003||American Board of Science in Nuclear Medicine (ABSNM)|
Associate Professor, Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2005 - 2011
Nuclear Medicine Research Peer Review Committee, Department of Imaging Physics - Research, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2008 - Present
Imaging Physics Residency Program Steering Committee, Department of Imaging Physics, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2008 - Present
Imaging Physics Research Committee Member, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2008 - Present
Medical Physics Graduate Program Steering Committee, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2007 - 2013
Member, Board of Directors, American Board of Science in Nuclear Medicine, Reston, VA, 2009 - 2011
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, Credentials Committee of the Medical Staff, 2009 - 2011
Member, Study section review committee for Basic Research Projects; Institutional Research Grants Program, 2008 - 2011
|2017||President’s Recognition for Faculty Excellence - Excellence in Financial Stewardship, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer|
|2014||President’s Recognition for Faculty Excellence, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2013||Fellow, American Association of Physicist in Medicine|
|2011||Re-Award of Tenure, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2005||Outstanding Contributions to JNMT, Society of Nuclear Medicine|
|2005||Tenure, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|1997||Scientific Exhibits Section of the Society of Nuclear Medicine, Society of Nuclear Medicine|
- Gunther JR, Fanale MA, Reddy JP, Akhtari M, Smith GL, Pinnix CC, Milgrom SA, Yehia ZA, Allen PK, Osborne EM, Mawlawi, O, Dabaja BS. Treatment of Early-Stage Unfavorable Hodgkin Lymphoma: Efficacy and Toxicity of 4 Versus 6 Cycles of ABVD Chemotherapy With Radiation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 96(1):110-8, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27325479.
- Cho J, Wang M, Gonzalez-Lepera C, Mawlawi, O, Cho SH. Development of bimetallic (Zn@Au) nanoparticles as potential PET-imageable radiosensitizers. Med Phys 43(8):4775, 2016. PMID: 7487895.
- Cho J, Ibbott GS, Kerr MD, Amos RA, Stingo FC, Marom EM, Truong MT, Palacio DM, Betancourt SL, Erasmus JJ, DeGroot PM, Carter BW, Gladish GW, Sabloff BS, Benveniste MF, Godoy MC, Patil S, Sorensen J, Mawlawi, O. Characterizing proton-activated materials to develop PET-mediated proton range verification markers. Phys Med Biol 61(11):N291-310, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27203621.
- Cho J, Campbell P, Wang M, Alqathami M, Mawlawi, O, Kerr M, Cho SH. Feasibility of hydrogel fiducial markers for in vivo proton range verification using PET. Phys Med Biol 61(5):2162-2176, 2016. PMID: 26907591.
- Tam AL, Melancon MP, Abdelsalam M, Figueira TA, Dixon K, McWatters A, Zhou M, Huang Q, Mawlawi, O, Dunner K, Li C, Gupta S. Imaging Intratumoral Nanoparticle Uptake After Combining Nanoembolization with Various Ablative Therapies in Hepatic VX2 Rabbit Tumors. J Biomed Nanotechnol 12(2):296-307, 2016. PMID: 27305763.
- Fried DV, Mawlawi, O, Zhang L, Fave X, Zhou S, Ibbott G, Liao Z, Court LE. Potential Use of (18) F-fluorodeoxyglucose Positron Emission Tomography-Based Quantitative Imaging Features for Guiding Dose Escalation in Stage III Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 94(2):368-376, 2016. PMID: 26853345.
- Fried DV, Mawlawi, O, Zhang L, Fave X, Zhou S, Ibbott G, Liao Z, Court LE. Stage III non-small cell lung cancer: prognostic value of FDG PET quantitative imaging features combined with clinical prognostic factors. Radiology 278(1):142920, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26176655.
- Valiollahzadeh S, Clark JW, Mawlawi, O. Dictionary learning for data recovery in positron emission tomography. Phys Med Biol 60(15):5853-71, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26161630.
- Carter BW, Betancourt SL, Viswanathan C, Mawlawi, O, Marom EM, Truong MT. Potential pitfalls in interpretation of positron emission tomography/computed tomography findings in the thorax. Semin Roentgenol 50(3):210-6, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26002241.
- Benveniste AP, Marom EM, Benveniste MF, Mawlawi, O, Fox PS, Yang W. Incidental primary breast cancer detected on PET-CT. Breast Cancer Res Treat 151(2):261-8, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25929765.
- Valiollahzadeh S, Clark JW, Mawlawi, O. Using compressive sensing to recover images from PET scanners with partial detector rings. Med Phys 42(1):121-133, 2015. PMID: 25563253.
- Harkness BA, Allison JD, Clements JB, Coffey CW, Fahey FH, Gress DA, Kinahan PE, Nickoloff EL, Mawlawi, O, MacDougall RD, Pizzutiello RJ. AAPM/SNMMI Joint Task Force: report on the current state of nuclear medicine physics training. J Appl Clin Med Phys 16(5), 2015.
- Fried DV, Tucker SL, Zhou S, Liao Z, Mawlawi, O, Ibbott G, Court LE. Prognostic Value and Reproducibility of Pretreatment CT Texture Features in Stage III Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 90(4):834-42, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25220716.
- Benveniste AP, Marom EM, Benveniste MF, Mawlawi, O, Miranda RN, Yang W. Metastases to the breast from extramammary malignancies - PET/CT findings. Eur J Radiol 83(7):1106-1112, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24844731.
- Zhou M, Chen Y, Adachi M, Wen X, Erwin B, Mawlawi, O, Lai SY, Li C. Single agent nanoparticle for radiotherapy and radio-photothermal therapy in anaplastic thyroid cancer. Biomaterials 57:41-49. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25913249.