Meet Pamela Schlembach, M.D.
About Dr. Schlembach
Pamela J. Schlembach, M.D., is a board-certified Radiation Oncologist that holds an academic appointment as Professor in The University of Texas MD Anderson's Department of Radiation Oncology. She is the Center Medical Director of MD Anderson in The Woodlands. Dr. Schlembach was the Medical Director of the Gamma Knife Program in coordination with CHI St. Luke's Hospital The Woodlands from 2010-2017. Dr. Schlembach received her medical degree from the Medical College of Ohio in Toledo with numerous honors. She completed her residency in radiation oncology at MD Anderson Cancer Center, where she was awarded the Young Oncologist Award twice. With a broad background in treating all adult cancers with radiation, Dr. Schlembach is especially interested in caring for patients diagnosed with cancers of the prostate, central nervous system and breast. Her research has focused on improving breast cancer and lymphoma treatment, and developing innovative treatments with intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT). Her current research focus is improving breast cancer and central nervous system treatment.
Dr. Schlembach is the academic representative for MD Anderson's five Houston area locations in radiation oncology on the breast and gamma knife services. She is a pioneer in the outreach program for MD Anderson. She is responsible for developing the first multidisciplinary team for MD Anderson in breast cancer in a community setting. She is active in educating patients about the innovative clinical trials available at MD Anderson in The Woodlands. During her career, Dr. Schlembach has published and contributed to research publications. Dr. Schlembach is a devoted advocate for patients and community representative for MD Anderson in Montgomery County. She frequently speaks at local and regional educational events about early detection of cancer prevention and the importance of access to proper care and serves on hospital committees.
Twelve years ago, Dr. Schlembach began to facilitate the largest breast cancer support and survivorship group in Montgomery County, known as Breast Friends. This has touched more than 500 women with education, resources, support and special events. Dr. Schlembach also is active with the American Cancer Society, Komen for the Cure, the Avon Breast Cancer Walk and The Woodlands National Charity League. She also co-authored a book for breast cancer patients. She has received numerous community awards including The Service Excellence Award in Healthcare by Interfaith and Houston's most influential women of 2015.
Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, The Woodlands, TX
Center Medical Director, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, The Woodlands, TX
|1997||Medical College of Ohio, Toledo, OH, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1992||University of Toledo, Toledo, OH, USA, BS, Institutional Healthcare Management|
|1977||Owens Technical College, Toledo, OH, USA, Associate Degree, Radiological Technology|
|1998-2002||Clinical Residency, Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1997-1998||Clinical Residency, Mercy Healthcare Alliance, Toledo, OH|
|1989-1990||Transitional Internship, University of Toledo, Toledo, OH|
|1979-1980||Pre Med, Nuclear Medicine Technology, Ohio State University Hospitals, Columbus, OH|
|2002||American Board of Radiology|
Associate Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, The Woodlands, TX, 2009 - 2015
Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Radiation Treatment Center at Brazosport, Lake Jackson, TX, 2002 - 2004
Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2002 - 2009
|2016||Houston's 50 Most Influential Women of 2015, Houston Woman Magazine|
|2014||Outstanding Patient Educator Award, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2013||2013 Service of Excellence in Healthcare, Interfaith of The Woodlands|
|2012||2012 Outstanding Leadership, CHI St. Luke's Hospital, The Woodlands|
|2010||America's Top Oncologist Award|
|2010||Presidential Who's Who|
|2008||America's Top Oncologist Award|
|2004||National Registration of Who's Who|
|2002||Resident Travel Grant Award, American Radium Society|
|2001||Eleanor Montague Award, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2001||Radiation Oncology Eleanor Montague Award, American Association of Women Radiologists|
|2001||Young Oncologist Essay Award, American Radium Society|
|1998||Director of Medical Education Service Award, Mercy Healthcare System|
|1997||Dr. Robert Tidrick Memorial Award, Medical College of Ohio|
|1997||Radiation Therapy Award, Medical College of Ohio|
|1997||Renee Stouple Award, Medical College of Ohio|
|1996||Alpha Omega Alpha, Medical College of Ohio|
|1996||Merit Scholarship, Medical College of Ohio|
|1992||Professional Alumnus of the Year Award, Owens Technical College|
|1989||President's Dean's List, University of Toledo|
|1988||Golden Key National Honor Society, Golden Key Society|
|1988||V.I.E. Award, Medical College of Ohio Hospitals|
|1985||Imaging Excellence Award, Medical College of Ohio Hospital|
|1977||Mallinkrodt Award for Academic Excellence|
|1977||Dean's List, Owens Technical College|
- Ludmir EB, Adlakha EK, Chun SG, Reed VK, Arzu IY, Ahmad N, Bloom E, Chronowski GM, Delclos ME, Mayo LL, Schlembach PJ, Liao Z, Koong AC, Herman JM, Shah SJ. Enhancing clinical trial enrollment at MD Anderson Cancer Center satellite community campuses. Acta Oncol 58(8):1135-1137, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 30958082.
- Stecklein SR, Shaitelman SF, Babiera GV, Bedrosian I, Black DM, Ballo MT, Arzu I, Strom EA, Reed VK, Dvorak T, Smith BD, Woodward WA, Hoffman KE, Schlembach PJ, Kirsner SM, Nelson CL, Yang J, Guerra W, Dibaj S, Bloom ES. Prospective comparison of toxicity and cosmetic outcome after accelerated partial breast irradiation with conformal external beam radiotherapy or single-entry multilumen intracavitary brachytherapy. Pract Radiat Oncol 9(1):e4-e13, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30125673.
- Grossberg AJ, Lei X, Xu T, Shaitelman SF, Hoffman KE, Bloom ES, Stauder MC, Tereffe W, Schlembach PJ, Woodward WA, Buchholz TA, Smith BD. Association of transforming growth factor β polymorphism C-509T with radiation-induced fibrosis among patients with early-stage breast cancer: a secondary analysis of a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Oncol 4(12):1751-1757, 2018. PMID: 30027292.
- Hoffman KE, Voong KR, Levy LB, Allen PK, Choi S, Schlembach PJ, Lee AK, McGuire SE, Nguyen Q, Pugh TJ, Frank SJ, Kudchadker RJ, Du W, Kuban DA. Randomized trial of hypofractionated, dose-escalated, intensity-modulated radiation therapy (IMRT) versus conventionally fractionated IMRT for localized prostate cancer. J Clin Oncol 36(29):2943-49, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30106637.
- Hoffman KE, Skinner H, Pugh TJ, Voong KR, Levy LB, Choi S, Frank SJ, Lee AK, Mahmood U, McGuire SE, Schlembach PJ, Du W, Johnson J, Kudchadker RJ, Kuban DA. Patient-reported urinary, bowel, and sexual function after hypofractionated intensity-modulated radiation therapy for prostate cancer: results from a randomized trial. Am J Clin Oncol 41(6):558-567, 2018. PMID: 27635624.
- Moningi S, Kuban D, Allen P, Choi S, Frank S, Nguyen Q, McGuire S, Skinner H, Schlembach P, Voong R, Hoffman K. Consideration of patient characteristics and comorbidity in selecting candidates for moderately hypofractionated radiation: secondary analysis from a randomized trial. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 99(2):S155-56, 2017.
- Voong KR, Lal LS, Kuban DA, Pugh TJ, Swint JM, Godby J, Choi S, Lee AK, Schlembach PJ, Frank SJ, McGuire SE, Hoffman KE. Long-term economic value of hypofractionated prostate radiation: secondary analysis of a randomized trial. Adv Radiat Oncol 2(3):249-258, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29114589.
- Swanick CW, Lei X, Shaitelman SF, Schlembach PJ, Bloom ES, Fingeret MC, Strom EA, Tereffe W, Woodward WA, Stauder MC, Dvorak T, Thompson AM, Buchholz TA, Smith BD. Longitudinal analysis of patient-reported outcomes and cosmesis in a randomized trial of conventionally fractionated versus hypofractionated whole-breast irradiation. Cancer 122(18):2886-94, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27305037.
- Pan HY, Shaitelman SF, Perkins GH, Schlembach PJ, Woodward WA, Smith BD. Implementing a real-time electronic data capture system to improve clinical documentation in radiation oncology. J Am Coll Radiol 13(4):401-7, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26681164.
- Shaitelman SF, Schlembach PJ, Arzu I, Ballo M, Bloom ES, Buchholz D, Chronowski GM, Dvorak T, Grade E, Hoffman KE, Kelly P, Ludwig M, Perkins GH, Reed V, Shah S, Stauder MC, Strom EA, Tereffe W, Woodward WA, Ensor J, Baumann D, Thompson AM, Amaya D, Davis T, Guerra W, Hamblin L, Hortobagyi G, Hunt KK, Buchholz TA, Smith BD. Acute and short-term toxic effects of conventionally fractionated vs hypofractionated whole-breast irradiation: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA Oncol 1(7):931-41, 2015. PMID: 26247543.
- Shaitelman SF, Buchholz TA, Hunt KK, Hortobagyi GN, Schlembach P, Arzu I, Bloom E, Chronowski G, Dvorak T, Grade E, Hoffman KE, Perkins GH, Reed V, Shah S, Stauder MC, Strom EA, Tereffe W, Woodward WA, Ensor J, Smith BD. Hypofractionated whole breast irradiation results in less acute toxicity and improved quality of life at six months compared to conventionally fractionated whole breast irradiation: results of a randomized trial. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 90(5):1264, 2014. PMID: 25539386.
- Ballo MT, Chronowski GM, Schlembach PJ, Bloom ES, Arzu IY, Kuban DA. Prospective peer review quality assurance for outpatient radiation therapy. Pract Radiat Oncol 4(5):279-284, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 25194094.
- Schlembach, PJ. Guest Editor. Breast cancer treatment decision-making: are we asking too much of patients?. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 25(3):212-14, 2014.
- Reed VK, Shah SJ, Schlembach PJ. PNO (i+) Breast Cancer: treatment patterns, locoregional recurrence, and survival outcomes. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 87:731-37, 2014.
- Ballo MT, Chronowski GM, Schlembach P, Bloom ES, Arzu I, Gopal R, Sims J, Buchholz TA. A weekly peer review quality assurance program for outpatient radiotherapy 78(3):S570, 2010.
- Schlembach PJ, Wilder RB, Jones D, Ha CS, Fayad LE, Younes A, Hagemeister F, Hess M, Cabanillas F, Cox JD. Radiotherapy alone for lymphocyte-predominant Hodgkin's disease. Cancer J 8(5):377-83, 2002. PMID: 12416895.
- Wilder RB, Schlembach PJ, Jones D, Chronowski GM, Ha CS, Younes A, Hagemeister FB, Barista I, Cabanillas F, Cox JD. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer and Groupe d'Etude des Lymphomes de l'Adulte very favorable and favorable, lymphocyte-predominant Hodgkin disease. Cancer 94(6):1731-8, 2002. PMID: 11920535.
- Schlembach PJ, Buchholz TA, Ross MI, Kirsner SM, Salas GJ, Strom EA, McNeese MD, Perkins GH, Hunt KK. Relationship of sentinel and axillary level I-II lymph nodes to tangential fields used in breast irradiation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 51(3):671-8, 2001. PMID: 11597808.
- Schlembach PJ, Wilder RB, Tucker SL, Ha CS, Rodriguez MA, Hess MA, Cabanillas FF, Cox JD. Impact of involved field radiotherapy after CHOP-based chemotherapy on stage III-IV, intermediate grade and large-cell immunoblastic lymphomas. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 48(4):1107-10, 2000. PMID: 11072169.
- Zeiss J, Merrick HW, Savolaine ER, Woldenberg LS, Kim K, Schlembach PJ. Fatty liver change as a result of hepatic artery infusion chemotherapy. Am J Clin Oncol 13(2):156-60, 1990. PMID: 2138409.
- Savolaine ER, Schlembach PJ. Gallium scan diagnosis of sarcoidosis in the presence of equivocal radiographic and CT findings: value of lacrimal gland biopsy. Clin Nucl Med 15(3):198-9, 1990. PMID: 2318004.
- Savolaine ER, Schlembach PJ. Scintigraphy compared to other imaging modalities in benign superior vena caval obstruction accompanying fibrosing mediastinitis. Clin Imaging 13(3):234-8, 1989. PMID: 2819591.
- Savolaine ER, Schlembach PJ, Robinson MG, McCann K. Wandering spleen presenting as a pediatric pelvic mass. Clin Nucl Med 14(8):623-4, 1989. PMID: 2805544.
- Savolaine ER, Zeiss J, Schlembach PJ, Skeel RT, McCann K, Merrick HW. Role of scintigraphy in establishing optimal perfusion in hepatic arterial infusion pump chemotherapy. Am J Clin Oncol 12(1):68-74, 1989. PMID: 2463753.
- Shaitelman SF, Lei X, Thompson A, Schlembach P, Bloom ES, Arzu IY, Buchholz D, Chronowski G, Dvorak T, Grade E, Hoffman K, Perkins G, Reed VK, Shah SJ, Stauder MC, Strom EA, Tereffe W, Woodward WA, Amaya DN, Shen Y, Hortobagyi GN, Hunt KK, Buchholz TA, Smith BD. Three-year outcomes with hypofractionated versus conventionally fractionated whole-breast irradiation: results of a randomized, noninferiority clinical trial. J Clin Oncol:JCO1800317. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30379626.
- Guest Editor. Breast Diseases, 2008.
- Guest Editor. Breast Diseases, 2007.