Meet Pamela Schlembach, M.D.
About Dr. Schlembach
Pamela J. Schlembach, M.D., is a board-certified Radiation Oncologist that holds an academic appointment as Professor in MD Anderson’s Department of Radiation Oncology. Dr. Schlembach also is the Medical Director of the Gamma Knife program at CHI St. Luke’s Woodlands Hospital. Dr. Schlembach received her medical degree from the Medical College of Ohio in Toledo with numerous honors. She completed her residency in radiation oncology at MD Anderson Cancer Center, where she was awarded the Young Oncologist Award twice. With a broad background in treating all adult cancers with radiation, Dr. Schlembach is especially interested in caring for patients diagnosed with cancers of the prostate, central nervous system and breast. Her research has focused on improving breast cancer and lymphoma treatment, and developing innovative treatments with intensity modulated radiation therapy (IMRT). Dr. Schlembach is the academic representative for MD Anderson’s five Houston area locations in radiation oncology on the breast and gamma knife services. She is a pioneer in the outreach program for MD Anderson. She is responsible for developing the first multidisciplinary team for MD Anderson in breast cancer in a community setting. She is active in educating patients about the innovative clinical trials available at MD Anderson in The Woodlands. During her career, Dr. Schlembach has published and contributed to research publications. Dr. Schlembach is a devoted advocate for patients and community representative for MD Anderson in Montgomery County. She frequently speaks at local and regional educational events about early detection of cancer, prevention and the importance of access to proper care and serves on hospital committees. Seven years ago, Dr. Schlembach began to facilitate the largest breast cancer support and survivorship group in Montgomery County, known as Breast Friends. This has touched more than 500 women with education, resources, support and special events. Dr. Schlembach also is active with the American Cancer Society, Komen for the Cure, the Avon Breast Cancer Walk and The Woodlands National Charity League. She also coauthored a book for breast cancer patients. She has received numerous community awards including The Service Excellence award in Health Care by Interfaith and Houston’s most influential women of 2015.
Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, The Woodlands, TX
|1997||Medical College of Ohio, Toledo, OH, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1992||University of Toledo, Toledo, OH, USA, BS, Institutional Healthcare Management|
|1998-2002||Clinical Residency, Radiation Oncology, U.T.M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1997-1998||Clinical Residency, Mercy Healthcare Alliance, Toledo, OH|
|2002||American Board of Radiology|
Associate Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, The Woodlands, TX, 2009 - 2015
|2016||Houston’s 50 Most Influential Women of 2015, Houston Woman Magazine|
|2014||Outstanding Patient Educator Award, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2013||2013 Service of Excellence in Healthcare, The Woodlands Interfaith|
|2012||Outstanding Leadership 2012, St. Luke's The Woodlands Hospital|
|2010||America's Top Oncologist Award|
|2010||Presidential Who's Who|
|2008||America's Top Oncologist Award|
|2004||National Registration of Who's Who|
|2002||Resident Travel Grant Award, American Radium Society|
|2001||Young Oncologist Essay Award, American Radium Society|
|2001||Eleanor Montague Award, U.T.M.D. Anderson Cancer Center|
|2001||Radiation Oncology Eleanor Montague Award, American Association of Women Radiologists|
|1998||Director of Medical Education Service Award, Mercy Healthcare System|
|1997||Dr. Robert Tidrick Memorial Award, Medical College of Ohio|
|1997||Renee Stouple Award, Medical College of Ohio|
|1997||Radiation Therapy Award, Medical College of Ohio|
|1996||Alpha Omega Alpha, Medical College of Ohio|
|1996||Merit Scholarship, Medical College of Ohio|
|1992||Professional Alumnus of the Year Award, Owens Technical College|
|1989||President's Dean's List, University of Toledo|
|1988||V.I.E. Award, Medical College of Ohio Hospitals|
|1988||Golden Key National Honor Society, Golden Key Society|
|1985||Imaging Excellence Award, Medical College of Ohio Hospital|
|1977||Dean's List, Owens Technical College|
|1977||Mallinkrodt Award for Academic Excellence|
- Shaitelman SF, Schlembach PJ, Arzu I, Ballo M, Bloom ES, Buchholz D, Chronowski GM, Dvorak T, Grade E, Hoffman KE, Kelly P, Ludwig M, Perkins GH, Reed V, Shah S, Stauder MC, Strom EA, Tereffe W, Woodward WA, Ensor J, Baumann D, Thompson AM, Amaya D, Davis T, Guerra W, Hamblin L, Hortobagyi G, Hunt KK, Buchholz TA, Smith BD. Acute and Short-term Toxic Effects of Conventionally Fractionated vs Hypofractionated Whole-Breast Irradiation: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Oncol 1(7):931-41, 2015. PMID: 26247543.
- Shaitelman SF, Buchholz TA, Hunt KK, Hortobagyi GN, Schlembach P, Arzu I, Bloom E, Chronowski G, Dvorak T, Grade E, Hoffman KE, Perkins GH, Reed V, Shah S, Stauder MC, Strom EA, Tereffe W, Woodward WA, Ensor J, Smith BD. Hypofractionated whole breast irradiation results in less acute toxicity and improved quality of life at six months compared to conventionally fractionated whole breast irradiation: results of a randomized trial. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 90(5):1264, 2014. PMID: 25539386.
- Guest Editor. Breast Cancer Treatment Decision-Making: Are We Asking Too Much of Patients. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 25(3):212-214, 2014.
- Reed, V.K., Shah, S.J., Schlembach, P.J.,. PNO (i+) breast cancer: Treatment patterns, locoregional reccurence, and survival outcomes. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology/Physics 87:731-737, 2014.
- Ballo, Matthew T.; Chronowski, Gregory M.; Schlembach, Pamela J.; Bloom, Elizabeth S.; Arzu, Isadore Y.;Kuban, A.. Prospective Peer Review Quality Assurance for Outpatient Radiation Therapy. Practical Radiation Oncology(4):279-284, 2013.
- Ballo, M.T.;Chronowski, G.M.; Schlembach, P.; Bloom, E.S.; Arzu, I.;Gopal,R.; Sims, J.; Buchholz, T.A.. A Weekly Peer Review Quality Assurance Program for Outpatient Radiotherapy 78(3):S570, 2010.
- Schlembach PJ, Wilder RB, Jones D, Ha CS, Fayad LE, Younes A, Hagemeister F, Hess M, Cabanillas F, Cox JD. Radiotherapy Alone for Lymphocyte Predominant Hodgkin's Disease. Cancer J 8(5):377-83, 2002. PMID: 12416895.
- Wilder RB, Schlembach PJ, Jones D, Chronowski GM, Ha CS, Younes A, Hagemeister FB, Barista I, Cabanillas F, Cox JD. European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer and Groupe d'Etude des Lymphomes de l'Adulte very favorable and favorable, lymphocyte-predominant Hodgkin disease. Cancer 94(6):1731-8, 2002. PMID: 11920535.
- Schlembach PJ, Buchholz TA, Ross MI, Kirsner SM, Salas GJ, Strom EA, McNeese MD, Perkins GH, Hunt KK. Relationship of Sentinel and Axillary Level I-II Lymphnodes to Tangential Fields Used in Breast Irradiation. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 51(3):671-8, 2001. PMID: 11597808.
- Wilder R, Schlembach P, Jones D, Chronowski G, Ha C, Younes A, Hagemeister F, Barista I, Cabinillas F, Cox J.. EORTC-GELA Very Favorable and Favorable Lymphocyte Predominant Hodgkin's Disease. Cancer, 2001.
- Schlembach P, Wilder R, Tucker S, Ha C, Rodriguez M, Hess M, Cabanillas F, Cox J.. Impact of Involved Field Radiodtherapy after CHOP Based Chemotherapy on Clinical Stage III-IV, Intermediate Grade and Large Cell Immunoblastic Lymphomas. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics 48:1107-1110, 2000.
- Savolailne E, Schlembach P.. Gallium Scan Diabnosis of Sarcoidosis in the Presence of Equivocal Radiologic and Computed Tomographic Findings: Value of Lacrimal Gland Biopsy. Clinical lNuclear Medicine 15(3):198-199, 1990.
- Zeiss J, Merrick h, Savolaine E, Kim K, Schlembach P.. Fatty Liver Changes As A Result of Hepatic Artery Infusion Chemotherapy. American Journal of Clinical Oncology 13(2):156-160, 1990.
- Savolaine E, Schlembach P, Robinson M, McCann K.. Wandering Spleen Presenting As A Pediatric Pelvic Mass. Clinical Nuclear Medicine 14(8):623-624, 1989.
- Savolaine E, Schlembach, P. Scintigraphy Compared to Other Imaging Modalities in Benign Superior Vena Caval Obstruction Accompanying Fibrosing Mediastinitis. Clinical Imaging 13:234-238, 1989.
- Savolaine E, Zeill J, Schlembach P, Skeel R, McCann K, Merrick H.. Role of Scintigraphy in Establishing Optimal Perfusion in Hepatic Arterial Infusion Pump Chemotherapy. American Journal of Clinical Oncology 12(1):68-74, 1989.
- Karen E. Hoffman, Heath Skinner, Thomas J. Pugh, Ranh Voong, Lawrence B. Levy, Seungtaek Choi, Steven J. Frank, Andrew K. Lee, Usama Mahmood, Sean E. McGuire, Pamela J. Schlembach, Weiliang Du, Jennifer Johnson, Rajat J. Kudchadker, Deborah A. Kuban. Patient-Reported Urinary, Bowel and Sexual Function After Hypofractionated Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy for Prostate Cancer: Results From a Randomized Trial. The American Journal of Clinical Oncology.
- Pan HY, Shaitelman SF, Perkins GH, Schlembach PJ, Woodward WA, Smith BD. Implementing a Real-Time Electronic Data Capture System to Improve Clinical Documentation in Radiation Oncology. J Am Coll Radiol. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26681164.
- Smith BD, Schlembach PA. Healthcare Disparities in Local-Regional Treatment of Breast Cancer. Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly 24(2):122-126, 2013.
- Cotelesse, Chris Doctor Gives Cancer Survivors Reasons to "Move on in Life". Houston Community Newspapers, 2013.
- Guest Editor. Breast Diseases, 2008.
- Guest Editor. Breast Diseases, 2007.
- Shaitelman,Simona F.; Buchholz,Thomas A; Schlembach,Pamela J .; Smith, Benjamin. “Hypofractionated Whole Breast Irradiation Results In Less Acute Toxicity And Improved Quality Of Life At 6 Months Compared To Conventionally Fractionated Whole Breast Irradiation: Results Of A Randomized Trial”, 2014.
- Ballo, Matthew; Chronowski, Gregory;Schlembach, Pamela;Bloom, Elizabeth;Arzu, Isadora;Kuban, Deborah. General Poster Session A: Science of Quality. J Clin Oncol(31), 2013.