About Dr. Soliman
Dr. Pamela T. Soliman is an Associate Professor in the Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine at M. D. Anderson Cancer Center. Dr. Soliman is the Center Medical Director of the Gynecologic Medical Center. She is board certified in Gynecologic Oncology. She provides both medical and surgical care to women with gynecologic cancers. Dr. Soliman has a special interest in minimally invasive and robotic surgery. She currently performs minimally invasive surgery for appropriate patients with cervical, endometrial, and early-stage ovarian cancers as well as fertility-sparing procedures for young women with cervical cancer.
Dr. Soliman’s primary research interests are in the treatment of endometrial cancer. This includes primary surgical staging as well as treatment for recurrent disease. She is the Principal Investigator of a prospective evaluation of sentinel lymph node mapping and PET/CT imaging in high risk endometrial cancer. She is also the PI of a number of clinical trials evaluating treatment for recurrent and advanced endometrial cancer including novel therapies. Her interest in surgical outcomes includes protocols evaluating the role of robotic-assisted surgery in the treatment of gynecologic cancers. In addition, she is evaluating quality of life and surgical outcomes for patients who are treated with pelvic exenteration for recurrent cancer. She has authored and co-authored numerous articles in peer-reviewed journals on these and other subjects. In addition, she has been invited to write book chapters and review articles on a variety of topics in gynecologic oncology. Dr. Soliman is an active speaker, both nationally and internationally.
Dr. Soliman is a fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, and a member of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, the Society of Gynecologic Oncologists and the American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists (AAGL). Dr. Soliman also serves as a reviewer for several journals including Journal of Clinical Oncology, Gynecologic Oncology, International Journal of Gynecologic Cancer, and Journal of Minimally Invasive Gynecology.
Undergraduate School: B.A. Mathematics, Duke University, Durham, NC 1995
Medical School: M.D., Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, 1999
Residency: Obstetrics/Gynecology, Medical College of Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, 1999 - 2003
Fellowship: Gynecological Oncology, University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 2003-2007
Graduate School: M.P.H., University of Texas School of Public Health, Houston Texas, 2006.
Years at MDACC: Since 2003
Associate Professor, Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2006||The University of Texas Health Science Center Houston, School of Public Health, Houston, TX, USA, MPH, Thesis "Knowledge of weight and endometrial cancer: What women know"|
|1999||Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1995||Duke University, Durham, NC, USA, BA, Mathematics|
|2003-2007||Fellowship, Gynecologic Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1999-2003||Internship and Residency, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, VA|
|2010||American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Gynecologic Oncology|
|2009||American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology|
Assistant Professor, Department of Department of Gynecologic Oncology and Reproductive Medicine, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2007 - 2012
|2011||Cattlemen for Cancer Research Hero Award, Cattlemen for Cancer Society|
|2011||McDonogh School Athletic Hall of Fame, McDonogh School, Owings Mills, Maryland|
|2011||APGO Excellence in Teaching Award, Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2008||Candidate Representative, Society of Gynecologic Oncologists Council|
|2007||Jesse H. Jones Fellowship in Cancer Education, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center|
|2005||2005 Daniel Roberts Award, American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology District VII and VIII Annual meeting|
|2005||National Gynecologic Oncology Fellows Forum Award|
|2005||Fellows Travel Grant, American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)|
|2004||The M.D. Anderson Alumni and Faculty Association Travel Award, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas|
|2003||Department of OB/Gyn, Resident Research Award, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia|
|2003||The Lucent Wood and Ida Talley Roberts Award, Medical College of Virginia, Richmond, Virginia|
|1993||National Collegiate Athletic Association Academic All-American, Duke University, 1993-1995, NCAA|
|1993||Golden Key Honor Society|
|1993||Phi Beta Sigma Honors Society|
|1993||National Collegiate Athletic Association Scholarship Athlete, Duke University Golf Team|
- Covert WM, Westin S, Soliman PT, Langley GD. The role of muco-regulatory agents after continent urinary diversion?. Am J Health-Sys Pharm 15 (6) :483-6, 2012.
- Nick AM, Frumovitz M, Soliman PT, Schmeler KM, Ramirez PT. Fertility sparing surgery for treatment of early-stage cervical cancer: open vs. robotic radical trachelectomy. Gyn Oncology 124 (2) :276-80, 2012. PMID: 22035808.
- Escobar PF, Frumovitz M., Soliman PT, Frasure HE, Fader AN, Schmeler KM, Ramirez PT. Comparison of Single-port laparoscopy, standard laparoscopy, and robotic surgery in patients with endometrial cancer. Ann Surg Oncol 19 (5) :1583-8, 2012.
- Worley Jr. MJ, Anwandter C, Sun CC, dos Reis R, Nick AM, Frumovitz M, Coleman RK, Soliman PT, Schmeler KM, Levenback CF, Ramirez PT. Impact of surgeon volume on patient safety in laparoscopic gynecologic surgery. Gyn Oncol 125 (1) :241-4, 2012.
- Pareja R, Nick AM, Schmeler KM, Frumovitz M, Soliman PT, Buitrago CA, Borrero M, Gonzalo A, dos Reis R, Ramirez PT. Quality of laparoscopic radical hysterectomy in developing countries: a comparison of surgical and oncologic outcomes between a comprehensive cancer center in the United States and a cancer center in Colombia. Gynec Oncol 125 (2) :326-9, 2012.
- Iglesias D, Westin S, Rallapalli V, Huang M, Fellman B, Urbauer D, Frumovitz M, Ramirez PT, Soliman PT. The effect of body mass index on surgical outcomes and survival following pelvic exenteration. Gynecol Oncol 125 (2) :336-42, 2012.
- Berger JL, Westin SN, Fellman B, Rallapaili V, Frumovitz M, Ramirez PT, Sood AK, Soliman PT. Modified vertical rectus abdominis myocutaneous flap vaginal reconstruction: An analysis of surgical outcomes. Gynec Oncol 125 (1) :252-5, 2012.
- Ramirez PT, Adams S, Boggess JF, Burke WM, Frumovitz MM, Gardner GJ, Havrilesky LJ, Holloway R, Lowe MP, Magrina JF, Moore DH, Soliman PT, Yap S. Robotic-assisted surgery in gynecologic oncology: A Society of Gynecologic Oncology consensus statement developed by the Society of Gynecologic Oncology's Clinical Practice Robotics Task Force. Gynecol Oncol 124 (2) :180-4, 2012.
- Frumovitz M, Kriseman ML, Sun C, Blumenthal-Barby J, Sood AK, Bodurka DC, Soliman PT. Unverifiable accomplishments and publications on applications for gynecologic oncology fellowships. Obstet Gyn 119 (3) :504-8, 2012.
- Graybill WS, Frumovitz MM, Nick AM, Wei C, Mena GE, Soliman PT, dos Reis R, Schmeler KM, Ramirez PT. Impact of smoking on perioperative pulmonary complications after laparoscopic gynecologic surgery. Gynec Oncol 125 (3) :556-60, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22433464.
- Soliman PT, Cui X, Zhang Q, Handinson SE, Lu KH. Circulating adiponectin levels and risk of endometrial cancer: The prospective Nurses' Health Study. Am J Ob Gyn 204 (2) :167, 2011. PMID: 21047616.
- Burzawa JK, Schmeler KM, Soliman PT, Meyer LA, Bevers MW, Pustilnik TL Anderson ML, Ramondetta LR, Tortolero-Luna G, Urbauer DL, Chang S, Gershenson DM, Brown J, Lu KH.. Prospective evaluation of insulin resistance among endometrial cancer patients. Am J Ob Gynecol 204 (4) :355, 2011. PMID: 21324431.
- Ramirez PT, Jhingran A, Macapinlac HA, Euscher ED, Munsell MF, Coleman RL, Soliman PT, Schmeler KM, Frumovitz M, Ramondetta LM. Laparoscopic extraperitoneal para-aotic lymphadenectomy in locally advanced cervical cancer: a prospective correlation of surgical findings with positron emission tomography/computed tomography findings. Cancer 117 (9) :1928-34, 2011. PMID: 21082702.
- Nick AM, Lange J, Frumovitz, Soliman PT, Schmeler KM, Schlumbrecht MP dos Reis R, Ramirez PT. Rate of vaginal cuff separation following laparoscopic or robotic hysterectomy. Gynecol Oncol 120 (1) :47-51, 2011. PMID: 20869763.
- Ndofor B, Soliman PT, Schmeler KM, Nick AM, Frumovitz M, Ramirez PT. Rate of port-site metastasis is uncommon in patients undergoing robotic surgery for gynecological malignancies. Int J Gynecol Cancer 21 (5) :936-40, 2011. PMID: 21633306.
- Westin SN, Sun CC, Lu KH, Schmeler KM, Soliman PT, Lacour RA, Johnson KG, Daniels MS, Arun BK, Peterson SK, Bodurka DC. Satisfaction with ovarian carcinoma risk-reduction strategies among women at high risk for breast and ovarian carcinoma. Cancer 117 (12) :2659-67, 2011. PMID: 21192063.
- Soliman PT, Frumovitz M, Sun CC, dos Reis R, Schmeler KM, Nick AM, Westin SN, Brown J, Levenback CF, Ramirez PT. Radical Hysterectomy: A comparison of surgical approaches after adoption of robotic surgery in gynecologic oncology. Gynecol Oncol 123 (2) :333-6, 2011. PMID: 21872911.
- Schmeler KM, Daniels MS, Soliman PT, Broaddus RR, Deavers MT, Vu TM, Chang GJ, Lu KH. Primary peritoneal cancer after bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy in two patients with Lynch Syndrome. Obstet Gynecol 115 (2 Pt 2) :432-434, 2010. PMID: 20093870.
- Ramirez PT, Schmeler KM, Malpica A, Soliman PT. Safety and feasibility of robotic radical trachelectomy in patients with early-stage cervical cancer. Gynecol Oncol 116 (3) :512-515, 2010. PMID: 19944451.
- Soliman PT, Frumovitz M, Spannuth W, Greer MJ, Sharma S, Schmeler KM, Ramirez PT, Levenback CF, Ramondetta LM. Lymphadenectomy during eendometrial cancer staging: practice patterns among gynecologic oncologists. Gynecol Oncol 119 (2) :291-4, 2010.
- Zand B, Euscher E, Soliman PT, Schmeler KM, Coleman RL, Frumovitz M, Jhingran A, Ramondetta LM, Ramirez PT. Rate of para-aortic lymph node micrometastasis in patients with locally advanced cervical cancer. Gynecol Oncol 119 (3) :422-5, 2010.
- Nick AM, Schmeler KM, Frumovita MM, Soliman PT, Spannuth WA, Burzawa JK, Coleman RL, Wei C, dos Reis R, Ramirez PT. Risk of thromboembolic disease in patients undergoing laparoscopic gynecologic surger. Obstet & Gynecol 116 (4) :956-61, 2010. PMID: 20859161.
- Frumovitz M, Etchepareborda M, Sun CC, Soliman PT, Eifer PJ, Levenback CF, Ramirez PT. Primary malignant melanoma of the vagina. Obstet Gynecolo 116 (6) :1358-65, 2010. PMID: 20837355.
- Mabrouk M, Frumovitz M, Greer M, Sharma S, Schmeler KM, Soliman PT, Ramirez PT. Trends in laparoscopic and robotic surgery among gynecologic oncologists: A survey update. Gynecol Oncol 112 (3) :501-505, 2009. PMID: 19138793.
- Ramirez PT, Soliman PT, Schmeler KM, dos Reis R, Frumovitz M. Laparoscopic and robotic techniques for radical hysterectomy in patients with early-stage cervical cancer. Gynecol Oncol 110 (3 Suppl 2) :S21-4, 2008. PMID: 18486966.
- Frumovitz M, Soliman PT, Greer M, Schmeler KM, Moroney J, Bodurka DC, Ramirez PT. Laparoscopy training in gynecologic oncology fellowship programs. Gynecol Oncol 111 (2) :197-201, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18804849.
- Ramirez PT, Schmeler KM, Wolf JK, Brown J, Soliman PT. Robotic radical parametrectomy and pelvic lymphadenectomy in patients with invasive cervical cancer. Gynecol Oncol 111 (1) :18-21, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18639329.
- Frumovitz M, Sun CC, Jhingran A, Schmeler KM, Dos Reis R, Milam MR, Soliman PT, Taylor K, Ramirez PT. Radical hysterectomy in obese and morbidly obese women with cervical cancer. Obstet Gynecol 112 (4) :899-905, 2008. PMID: 18827134.
- Soliman PT, Bassett RL, Wilson EB, Boyd-Rogers S, Schmeler KM, Milam MR, Gershenson DM, Lu KH. Limited public knowledge of obesity and endometrial cancer risk: what women know. Obstet Gynecol 112 (4) :835-842, 2008. PMID: 18827126.
- Jandial DD, Soliman PT, Slomovitz BM, Schmeler KM, Levenback C, Coleman RL, Ramirez PT. Laparoscopic colostomy in gynecologic cancer. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 15 (6) :723-8, 2008. PMID: 18971136.
- Obermair A, Gebski V, Frumovitz M, Soliman PT, Schmeler KM, Levenback C, Ramirez PT. A phase III randomized clinical trial comparing laparoscopic or robotic radical hysterectomy with abdominal radical hysterectomy in patients with early stage cervical cancer. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 15 (5) :584-8, 2008. PMID: 18722970.
- Milam MR, Soliman PT, Chung LH, Schmeler KM, Bassett RL, Broaddus RR, Lu KH. Loss of phosphatase and tensin homologue deleted on chromosome 10 and phosphorylation of mammalian target of rapamycin are associated with progesterone refractory endometrial hyperplasia. Int J Gynecol Cancer 18 (1) :146-51, 2008. PMID: 17466036.
- Ramirez PT, Schmeler KM, Soliman PT, Frumovitz M. Fertility preservation in patients with early cervical cancer: radical trachelectomy. Gynecol Oncol 110 (3 Suppl 2) :S25-8, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18501409.
- Tung CS, Soliman PT, Wallace MJ, Wolf JK, Bodurka DC. Successful catheter-directed venous thrombolysis in phlegmasia cerulea dolens. Gynecol Oncol 107 (1) :140-142, 2007. PMID: 17669477.
- Soliman PT, Lu K. Endometrial cancer associated with defective DNA mismatch repair. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am 34 (4) :701-715, 2007. PMID: 18061865.
- Milam MR, Celestino J, Wu W, Broaddus RR, Schmeler KM, Slomovitz BM, Soliman PT, Gershenson DM, Wang H, Ellenson LH, Lu KH. Reduced progression of endometrial hyperplasia with oral mTOR inhibition in the Pten heterozygote murine model. Am J Obstet Gynecol 196 (3) :247.e1-5, 2007. PMID: 17346540.
- Slomovitz BM, Ramirez PT, Frumovitz M, Soliman PT, Bevers M, Coleman RL, Levenback C. Electrothermal bipolar coagulation for pelvic exenterations. Gynecol Oncol 102 (3) :534-536, 2006. PMID: 16483643.
- Ramirez PT, Slomovitz BM, Soliman PT, Coleman RL, Levenback C. Total laparoscopic radical hysterectomy and lymphadenectomy: The MD Anderson Cancer Center Experience. Gynecol Oncol 102 (2) :252-255, 2006. PMID: 16472844.
- Schmeler KM, Sun CC, Bodurka DC, White KG, Soliman PT, Uyei AR, Erlichman JL, Arun BK, Daniels MS, Rimes SA, Peterson SK, Slomovitz BM, Milam MR, Gershenson DM, Lu KH. Prophylactic bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy compared with surveillance in women with BRCA mutations. Obstet Gynecol 108 (3.1) :515-520, 2006. PMID: 16946209.
- Wu W, Slomovitz BM, Soliman PT, Schmeler KM, Celestino J, Milam MR, Lu KH. Correlation of cyclin D1 and cyclin D3 overexpression with the loss of PTEN expression in endometrial carcinoma. Int J Gynecol Cancer 16 (4) :1668-72, 2006. PMID: 16884382.
- Soliman PT, Oh JC, Schmeler KM, Sun CC, Slomovitz BM, Gershenson DM, Burke TW, Lu KH. Risk factors for young premenopausal women with endometrial cancer. Obstet Gynecol 105 (3) :575-580, 2005. PMID: 15738027.
- Schmeler KM, Soliman PT, Sun CC, Slomovitz BM, Gershenson DM, Lu KH. Endometrial cancer in young, normal-weight women. Gynecol Oncol 99 (2) :388-392, 2005. PMID: 16051336.
- Soliman PT, Slomovitz BM, Broaddus RR, Sun CC, Oh JC, Eifel PJ, Gershenson DM, Lu KH. Synchronous primary cancers of the endometrium and ovary: A single institution review of 84 cases. Gynecol Oncol 94 (2) :456-462, 2004. PMID: 15297188.
- Lu KH, Schorge JO, Rodabaugh KJ, Daniels MS, Sun CC, Soliman PT, White KG, Luthra R, Gershenson DM, Broaddus RR. Prospective determination of prevalence of lynch syndrome in young women with endometrial cancer. J Clin Oncol 25 (33) :158-164. PMID: 17925543.
- Soliman PT, Wu D, Tortolero-Luna G, Schmeler KM, Slomovitz BM, Bray MS, Gershenson DM, Lu KH. Association between adiponectin, insulin resistance, and endometrial cancer. Cancer 106 (11) :2376-2381. PMID: 16639730.
- Soliman PT, Broaddus RR, Schmeler KM, Daniels MS, Gonzalez D, Slomovitz BM, Gershenson DM, Lu KH. Women with synchronous primary cancers of the endometrium and ovary: Do they have lynch syndrome?. J Clin Oncol 23 (36) :9344-9350. PMID: 16361634.
- Slomovitz BM, Broaddus RR, Burke TW, Sneige N, Soliman PT, Wu W, Sun CC, Munsell MF, Gershenson DM, Lu KH. Her-2/neu overexpression and amplification in uterine papillary serous carcinoma. J Clin Oncol 22 (15) :3126-3132. PMID: 15284264.
- Schmeler KM, Lynch HT, Chen LM, Munsell MF, Soliman PT, Clark MB, Daniels MS, White KG, Boyd-Rogers SG, Conrad PG, Yang KY, Rubin MM, Sun CC, Slomovitz BM, Gershenson DM, Lu KH. Prophylactic surgery to reduce the risk of gynecologic cancers in the Lynch syndrome. N Engl J Med 354 (3) :261-9. PMID: 16421367.
- Schmeler KM, Jhingran A, Iyer RB, Sun CC, Eifel PJ, Soliman PT, Ramirez PT, Frumovitz M, Bodurka DC, Sood AK. Pelvic fractures after radiotherapy for cervical cancer: Implications for survivors. Cancer 116 (3) :625-630. PMID: 20052724.
- Soliman PT. News from the SIGS-Current Staging for Endometrial Cancer. AAGL NewsScope 25 (1) :1-6, 2011.
- Soliman PT. Robotic Surgery in Gynecologic Oncology. AAGL NewsScope October-December, 2007.
- Slomovitz BM, Sun CC, Frumovitz M, Soliman PT, Schmeler KM, Pearson HC, Berenson A, Ramirez PT, Lu KH, Bodurka DC. Are women ready for the HPV vaccine?. Gynecol Oncol 103 (1) :151-154, 2006. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 16551476.
- Soliman PT, Slomovitz BM, Wolf JK. Mechanisms of cervical Cancer. Drug Discovery Today: Disease Mechanisms 1:253-258, 2004.
- Teoh D, Freedman R, Soliman PT Nearly 30 years of treatment for recurrent granulosa cell tumor of the ovary: A case report and review of the literature. Case Rep in Oncol (3) :14-18, 2010.
- Slomovitz BM, Soliman PT New standards for treating recurrent ovarian cancer. National Ovarian Cancer Coalition, Inc 19:5, 2004.
- Soliman PT Diagnosis and treatment of osteoporosis. American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology 50th Annual Clinical Meeting: The Resicent Reporter 7:35-41, 2002.
- Lu KH, Iglesias DA, Huan M, Soliman PT, Djordjevic B. Endometrial Hyperplasia and Cancer. In: Gynecologic Oncology. In: Clinical Practice and Surgical Atlas. McGraw-Hill: New York, 105-138, 2012.
- Soliman PT, Lu KH. Neoplastic Diseases of the Uterus: Endometrial Hyperlasia, Endometrial Carcinoma, Sarcoma: Diagnosis and Management. In: Comprehensive Gynecology. 6th. Elsevier Mosby: Philadelphia, 713-730, 2012.
- Soliman PT, Schmeler KM, Bodurka DC. Sexual Function Issues. In: Internal Medicine Care of Cancer Patients. B.C. Decker, Inc: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, 647-652, 2009.
- Schmeler KM, Soliman PT, Bodurka DC. Reproductive Issues. In: Internal Medicine Care of Cancer Patients. B.C. Decker, Inc: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, 653-658, 2009.
- Slomovitz BM, Soliman PT, Wolf JK. Gynecologic Cancers-Chapter 20. In: The MD Anderson Surgical Oncology Handbook. 4. Lippencott Williams & Wilkins, 520-563, 2006.