About Dr. Garvey
I'm a reconstructive microsurgeon who has a special interest in advanced facial reconstruction incorporating virtual surgical planning and rapid prototype modeling (i.e. 3D printing). I currently serve as an Associate Professor of Plastic Surgery at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas and a Clinical Instructor of Plastic Surgery at the Baylor College of Medicine in Houston. I joined MD Anderson faculty in 2009 following twelve years of medical training that included four years of medical school at Louisiana State University in my city of New Orleans, five years of surgery residency at Mayo Clinic Scottsdale, two years of plastic surgery residency at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, and one year of advanced fellowship training in microvascular surgery at MD Anderson. My clinical outcomes research in virtual surgical planning, rapid prototype modeling, and preoperative vascular mapping for optimization of microsurgical tissue transfer in complex, reconstructive surgery has produced landmark manuscripts published in peer-reviewed scientific journals that have influenced the state of the art of plastic surgery. National specialty societies such as the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and the American Society of Reconstructive Microsurgery (ASRM) have recognized my contributions to our field by selecting me for leadership roles in these organizations. I am a dedicated educator, teaching medical students, and surgical trainees at the local, national, and international levels. The Plastic Surgery Foundation (PSF), the research entity of the ASPS, selected me to serve as a PSF Visiting Professor for the 2018-2019 academic year. In this role, I am traveling to five U.S. academic medical centers to teach medical students, surgery trainees, and faculty about my research and experience. I also regularly serve as a scientist reviewer for the Department of Defense (DoD) Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP) grant review panels. My work with 3D printing for facial reconstruction has been featured in Popular Mechanics and Conquest magazines.
|2001||Louisiana State University School of Medicine, New Orleans, LA, USA, MD, Doctor of Medicine|
|1997||University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX, USA, BA, Plan II Honors Program|
|2008-2009||Clinical Fellowship, Microvascular Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2006-2008||Clinical Residency, Plastic Surgery, University of Virginia Health System, Charlottesville, VA|
|2001-2006||Clinical Residency, General Surgery, Mayo Clinic Graduate School of Medicine, Scottsdale, AZ|
|2010||American Board of Plastic Surgery|
|2006||American Board of Surgery|
Clinical Instructor, Department of Plastic Surgery, Division of Division of Plastic Surgery, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 2018 - Present
Associate Professor, Department of Plastic Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2013 - 2019
Assistant Professor, Department of Plastic Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2013
Clinical Specialist, Department of Plastic Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2009
- Mericli AF, Szpalski C, Schaverien MV, Selber JC, Adelman DM, Garvey PB, Villa MT, Robb GL, Baumann DP. The Latissimus Dorsi Myocutaneous Flap is a Safe and Effective Method of Partial Breast Reconstruction in the Setting of Breast Conserving Therapy. Plast Reconstr Surg 143(3):927e-935e, 2019.
- Craig ES, Clemens MW, Koshy JC, Wren J, Hong Z, Butler C, Garvey P, Selber J, Kronowitz S. Outcomes of Acellular Dermal Matrix for Immediate Tissue Expander Reconstruction with Radiotherapy: A Retrospective Cohort Study. Aesthetic Surgery Journal 39(3):279-288, 2019.
- Hanson SE, Garvey PB, Chang EI, Reece G, Liu J, Butler CE. A Prospective Pilot Study Comparing Rate of Processing Techniques in Autologous Fat Grafting. Aesthet Surg J 39(3):331-337, 2019. e-Pub 2018.
- Weiss A, Bedrosian I, Lin H, Yu S, Shaitelman SF, Chu C, Garvey PB. Reconstruction in the Metastatic Breast Cancer Patient-Results from the National Cancer Database. Ann Surg Oncol 25(11):3125-3133, 2018. e-Pub 2018.
- Giordano SA, Garvey PB, Baumann DP, Liu J, Butler CE. Hospital Re-admission Following Open, Single-Stage, Elective Abdominal Wall Reconstructions Using Acellular Dermal Matrix Affects Long-Term Hernia Recurrence Rate. Am J Surg 216(1):60-66, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29458969.
- Mujtaba B, Synghal GK, Garvey PB, Amini B, Haygood TM, Madewell JE, Costelloe CM. Video: Preoperative CT Angiography for Fibular Free Flap Reconstructions. AJR Am J Roentgenol 210(6):W264, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29702024.
- Hanson SE, Meaike JD, Selber JC, Liu J, Hassid VJ, Baumann DP, Butler CE, Garvey PB. Aseptic, Freeze-dried versus Sterile, Wet-packaged Human Cadaveric Acellular Dermal Matrix (ADM) in Immediate Tissue Expander Breast Reconstruction: A Propensity Score Analysis Study. Plast Reconstr Surg 141(5):624e-632e, 2018.
- May AC, Garvey PB, GillenwaterA. A Rare Presentation of Heterotopic Ossification Along a Fibula Free Flap Pedicle in a High Volume Microvascular Reconstruction Practice. Head and Neck 40(3):e21-e24, 2018.
- Largo RD, Selber JC, Garvey PB, Chang EI, Hanasono MM, Yu P, Butler CE, Baumann DP. Outcome Analysis of Free Flap Salvage in Outpatients Presenting with Microvascular Compromise. Plast Reconstr Surg 141(1):20e-27e, 2018.
- Giordano S, Garvey PB, Baumann DP, Liu J, Butler CE. Concomitant Panniculectomy Affects Wound Morbidity but Not Hernia Recurrence in Abdominal Wall Reconstructions: A Propensity Score Analysis. Plast Reconstr Surg 140(6):1263-1273, 2017.
- Ayoub Z, Strom EA, Ovalle V, Perkins GH, Woodward WA, Tereffe W, Smith BD, Shaitelman SF, Stauder MC, Hoffman KE, DeSnyder SM, Garvey PB, Clemens MW, Barcenas CH, Kuerer HM, Kronowitz S. A 10-Year Experience with Mastectomy and Tissue Expander Placement to Facilitate Subsequent Radiation and Reconstruction. Annals of Surgical Oncology 24(10):2965-2971, 2017.
- Mericli A, Wren J, Garvey PB, Butler C, Liu J, Selber J. A Prospective Clinical Trial Comparing Visible Light Spectroscopy to Handheld Doppler for Postoperative Free Tissue Transfer Monitoring. Plast Reconstr Surg 140(3):604-613, 2017.
- Giordano S, Garvey PB, Baumann DP, Liu J, Butler CE. Prior Radiotherapy Does Not Affect Abdominal Wall Reconstruction Outcomes: Evidence from Propensity Score Analysis. Ann Surg Oncol 24(3):816-822, 2017.
- Mericli A, Garvey PB, Giordano S, Baumann D, Butler CE. Abdominal Wall Reconstruction with Concomitant Ostomy-Associated Hernia Repair: Outcomes and Propensity Score Analysis. J Am Coll Surg 224(3):351-361, 2017.
- Garvey PB, Giordano S, Baumann D, Liu L, Butler C. Long-Term Outcomes after Abdominal Wall Reconstruction with Acellular Dermal Matrix. J AM Coll Surg 224(3):341-350, 2017.
- Giordano S, Garvey PB, Baumann DP, Liu J, Butler CE. Primary Fascial Closure With Biologic Mesh Reinforcement Results In Lesser Complication And Recurrence Rates Than Bridged Biologic Mesh Repair For Abdominal Wall Reconstruction: A Propensity Score Analysis. Surgery. Surgery 161(2):499-508, 2017.
- McConnell MF, Garvey PB, Amini B, Haygood TM, Madewell JE, Costelloe CM. Preoperative CT Angiography for Anterolateral Thigh Flap Reconstructions. American Journal of Roentgenology 208(3):127, 2017.
- Giordano S, Schaverien M, Garvey PB, Baumann DP, Liu J, Butler CE. Advanced Age Does Not Affect Abdominal Wall Reconstruction Outcomes Using Acellular Dermal Matrix: A Comparative Study Using Propensity Score Analysis. The American Journal of Surgery 213:1046-1052, 2017.
- Giordano SA, Garvey PB, Baumann DP, Liu J, Butler CE. The Impact of Body Mass Index on Abdominal Wall Reconstruction Outcomes: A Comparative Study. Plast Reconstr Surg(139):1234-1244, 2017.
- Mericli A, Schaverien M, Hanasono M, Yu P, Largo R, Villa M, Reece G, Butler G, Garvey PB. Using a Second Free Fibula Osteocutaneous Flap After Repeat Mandibulectomy is Associated with a Low Complication Rate and Acceptable Functional Outcomes. Plast Reconstr Surg 140(2):381-389, 2017.
- Doren EL, Miranda RN, Selber JC, Garvey PB, Liu J, Medeiros LJ, Butler CE, Clemens MW. United States Epidemiology of Breast Implant-Associated Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma. Plast Reconstr Surg 139:1042-1050, 2017.
- Carter SA, Lyons GR, Kuerer HM, Bassett RL Jr, Oates S, Thompson A, Caudle AS, Mittendorf EA, Bedrosian I, Lucci A, DeSnyder SM, Babiera G, Yi M, Baumann DP, Clemens MW, Garvey PB, Hunt KK, Hwang RF.. Operative and Oncologic Outcomes in 9861 Patients with Operable Breast Cancer: Single-Institution Analysis of Breast Conservation with Oncoplastic Reconstruction. Ann Surg Oncol 23(10):3190-3198, 2016.
- Hanson SE, Smith BD, Liu J, Robb GL, Kronowitz SJ, Garvey PB. Abdominal-based Free Flaps Require Fewer Revisions than Latissimus Dorsi Flaps for Delayed Breast Reconstruction after Postmastectomy Radiation Therapy. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open 4(9):e866 PMCID: PMC5054997, 2016.
- Tong MY, Baumann DP, Villa MT, Mittendorf EA, Liu J, Robb GL, Kronowitz SJ, Garvey PB. Obese Women Experience Fewer Complications After Oncoplastic Breast Repair Following Partial Mastectomy Than After Immediate Total Breast Reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg 137(3):777-791, 2016.
- Selber JC, Wren JH, Garvey PB, Zhang H, Erickson C, Clemens MW, Butler CE. Critical Evaluation of Risk Factors and Early Complications in 564 Consecutive Two-Stage Implant-Based Breast Reconstructions Using Acellular Dermal Matrix at a Single Center. Plast Reconstr Surg 136(1):10-21, 2015.
- Garvey PB, Martinez RA, Baumann DP, Liu J, Butler CE. Outcomes of Abdominal Wall Reconstruction with Acellular Dermal Matrix Are Not Affected by Wound Contamination. J Am Coll Surg 219(5):853-64, 2014.
- Booth JH, Garvey PB, Baumann DP, Selber JC, Nguyen AT, Clemens MW, Liu J, Butler CE. Primary Fascial Closure with Mesh Reinforcement is Superior to Bridged Mesh Repair for Abdominal Wall Reconstruction. J Am Coll Surg 217(6):999-1009, 2013. e-Pub 2013.
- Garvey PB, Booth JH, Baumann DP, Calhoun KA, Liu J, Pollock RE, Butler CE. Complex Reconstruction of Desmoid Tumor Resections Does Not Increase Desmoid Tumor Recurrence. J. Am Coll Surg 217(3):472-480, 2013. e-Pub 2013.
- Butterworth JA, Garvey PB, Baumann DP, Zhang H, Rice DC, Butler CE. Optimizing Reconstruction of Oncologic Sternectomy Defects Based on Surgical Outcomes. J Am Coll Surg 217(2):306-316, 2013. e-Pub 2013.
- Selber JC, Garvey PB, Clemens MW, Chang EI, Zang H, Hanasono MW. A Prospective Study of Transit Time Flow Volume (TTFV) Measurement for Intraoperative Evaluation and Optimization of Free Flaps. Plast Reconstr Surg 131(2):270-281, 2013.
- Selber JC, Chang EI, Liu J, Suami H, Adelman DM, Hanasono MM, Garvey PB, Butler CE. Tracking the Learning Curve in Microsurgical Skill Acquisition. Plast Reconstr Surg 130(4):551e-558e, 2012.
- Garvey PB, Rhines LD, Feng L, Gu X, Butler CE. Reconstructive Strategies for Partial Sacrectomy Defects Based on Surgical Outcomes. Plast Reconstr Surg 127(1):190-9, 2011. PMID: 20871487.
- Garvey PB, Rhines LD, Dong W, Chang DW. Immediate Soft-Tissue Reconstruction for Complex Defects of the Spine Following Surgery for Spinal Neoplasms. Plast Reconstr Surg 125(5):1460-66, 2010.
- Srinivasa DR, Clemens MW, Qi J, Hamill JB, Kim HM, Wilkins EG, Pusic AL, Butler CE, Garvey GB. Obesity and Breast Reconstruction Complications and Patient Reported Outcomes in a Multicenter Prospective Study. Plast Reconstr Surg.
- Chang EL, Boukovalas S, Largo RD, Hanasono MM, Garvey PB. Reconstruction of Posterior Mandibulectomy Defects in the Modern Era of Virtual Planning and Three-Dimensional Modeling. Plast Reconstr Surg.
- Hanson SE, Garvey PB. Smaller-diameter Anastomotic Coupling Devices Have Higher Rates of Venous Thrombosis in Microvascular Free Tissue Transfer. Plast Reconstr Surg 140(6):1293-1300. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29965913.
- Garvey PB. Discussion: A Current Review of Biologic Meshes in Abdominal Wall Reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg 142(3S):82S-83S, 2018.
- Largo RD, Garvey PB. CME Article: Updates in Head and Neck Reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg 141(2):271e-285e, 2018.
- Garvey PB. Video Discussion: Psychological Impact of Breast Asymmetry on Adolescents: A Prospective Case-Control Study. Plast Reconstr Surg 134(6):1116-1123, 2014.
- Mercier-Couture G, Xue A, Phillips BP, Schaverien MV, Garvey PB, Strom E, Baumann DP, Butler CE, Largo RD. Comparative Operative Outcomes in Second Stage delayed vx Radiated Tissue Expander in Breast Reconstruction. European Plastic Surgery Research Council Annual Meeting, 2018.
- Hanson SE, Garvey PB, Chang EI, Reece G, Liu J, Butler CE. A Prospective Time-and-Motion Pilot Study Comparing Rate of Processing Techniques in Autolous Fat Grafting. European Plastic Surgery Research Council Annual Meeting:38, 2018.
- Gangopadhyay N, Villa MT, Chang EI, Selber JC, Liu J, Garvey PB. Combining Preoperative CTA Mapping of the Peroneal Artery and Its Perforators with Virtual Planning for Free Fibula Flap Reconstruction of Mandibulectomy Defects. Plast Reconstr Surg 136(4S4):8-9, 2015.
- Gangopadhyay N, Villa MT, Chang EI, Selber JC, Craig ES, Liu J, Garvey PB. Combining Preoperative CTA Mapping of the Peroneal Artery and Its Perforators with Computer-Generated Patient-Specific Surgical Guides for Free Fibula Flap Reconstruction of Complex Head and Neck Defects. Plast Reconstr Surg 136(5S):112-113, 2015.
- Garvey PB, Clemens MW, Doolittle JP, Zhang H, Baumann BP, Butler CE. Bioprosthetic versus Synthetic Mesh for Reconstruction of Oncologic Chest Wall Defects. Plast Reconstr Surg 133((3 Suppl)):14-5, 2014. PMID: 25942118.
- Clemens MW, Selber JC, Adelman DM, Baumann DP, Garvey PB, Butler CE. Bovine Versus Porcine Acellular Dermal Matrix for Complex Abdominal Wall Reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg 131(1S):64, 2012.
- Garvey PB. Trunk Reconstruction and Pressure Sores. In: Review of Plastic Surgery. Elsevier: Edinburgh, United Kingdom, 97-111, 2015.
- Garvey PB, Chang DW. Chapter 31 Breast Reconstruction with the Gluteal Flap. In: Oncoplastic Surgery of the Breast. How? When? Why?. Ediciones Journal: Buenos Aires, Argentina, 283-288, 2014.
- Garvey PB, Butler CE. Minimally Invasive Component Separation Technique. In: Abdominal Wall Reconstruction. Cine Med, 119-130, 2014.
- Garvey PB, Potter JK. Mandibular Reconstruction. In: Essentials of Plastic Surgery. 2nd. Quality Medical Publishing: St. Louis, MO, 454-461, 2014.
- Chang DS, Janis JE, Garvey PB. Basics of Microsurgery. In: Essentials of Plastic Surgery. 2nd. Quality Medical Publishing: St. Louis, MO, 75-86, 2014.
- Le-Petross H, Stafford J, Bedrosian I, Garvey PB, Woodward WA, Moulder-Thompson SL. Breast Cancer. In: Oncologic Imaging: A Multidisciplinary Approach. Saunders: Philadelphia, PA, 479-507, 2012.
- Garvey PB. Latissimus Flap. In: Current Head and Neck Reconstruction. People’s Medical Publishing House: Beijing, China, 2010.
- Garvey PB. The Transverse Rectus Abdominis Musculocutaneous Flap, Deep Inferior Epigastric Artery Perforator Flap, and Superficial Inferior Epigastric Artery Flap. In: Current Head and Neck Reconstruction. People’s Medical Publishing House: Beijing, China, 2010.
- Garvey PB. Art, Science and New Clinical Technique. In: Breast Reconstruction. Springer: Berlin.
- Hanson S, Garvey P. Salvage of the Breast Implant Cripple with Autologous Tissue. In: In: Reconstructive Surgery: A Problem-Based Approach. Westbrook.
Letters to the Editor
- Hanson SE, Garvey PB. Reply to Letter to the Editor: Smaller-Diameter Anastomostic Coupling Devices Have Higher Rates of Venous Thrombosis in Microvascular Free Tissue Transfer. Plast Reconstr Surg 142: 418e-419e, 2018.
- Hanson SE, Garvey PB. Reply to Letter to the Editor: Smaller-Diameter Anastomostic Coupling Devices Have Higher Rates of Venous Thrombosis in Microvascular Free Tissue Transfer. Plast Reconstr Surg 141: 780e-781e, 2018.
|Title:||Clinical Outcomes Fellowship|