About Dr. Gidley
Dr. Paul Gidley attended Spring Hill College in Mobile, Alabama receiving his Bachelor of Science in Biology with honors. He attended the University of Texas Medical School at Houston, was inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha medical honor society and graduated in 1990. He then completed a residency program in Otolaryngology through the University of Texas, Houston in 1995. In 1997, he completed a fellowship at the University of Iowa in Otology-Neurotology.
Currently, Dr. Gidley is an Associate Professor of Otology-Neurology in the Department of Head and Neck Surgery in the Department of Neurosurgery at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. Previously, he was Assistant Professor in the Department of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery at the University of Texas Medical School in Houston. He is board certified with the American Board of Otolaryngology in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery and in Otology-Neurotology. He is a member of numerous professional societies including the American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, the American Neurotology Society, and the American College of Surgeons.
Dr. Gidley specializes in hearing loss, ear infections, and lateral skull base tumors. He has special interests in temporal bone cancers and acoustic neuromas.
You can learn more about ear and temporal bone cancer from Dr. Gidley's Cancerwise blog post.
Professor, Department of Head and Neck Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Associate Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Temporal bone cancer Skull base tumors Osteoradionecrosis of the temporal bone Ototoxicity
|1990||UT Medical School at Houston, Houston, TX, USA, MD, Doctor of Medicine|
|1986||Spring Hill College, Mobile, AL, USA, BS, Biology|
|2005||American Board of Otolaryngology-Subspecialty of Neurotology|
|1996||American Board of Otolaryngology|
Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Otolaryngology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 2005 - Present
Assistant Professor, Department of Department of Otolaryngology, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, TX, 1997 - 2002
Assistant Professor, Department of Department of Otolaryngology, The University of Texas Medical School at Houston, Houston, TX, 1995 - 1996
|1988||Teagle Foundation Scholarship|
- Lambert EM, Garden AS, DeMonte F, Roberts DB, Gidley PW. Radiation-associated malignancies of the ear canal and temporal bone. Laryngoscope 125(5):1198-204, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25476255.
- Walker GV, Shihadeh F, Kantarjian H, Allen P, Rondon G, Kebriaei P, O'Brien S, Kedir A, Said M, Grant JD, Thomas DA, Gidley PW, Arzu I, Pinnix C, Reed V, Dabaja BS. Comprehensive craniospinal radiation for controlling central nervous system leukemia. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 90(5):1119-25, 2014. PMID: 25539370.
- Nader ME, Bell D, Sturgis EM, Ginsberg LE, Gidley PW. Facial nerve paralysis due to a pleomorphic adenoma with the imaging characteristics of a facial nerve schwannoma. J Neurol Surg Rep 75(1):e84-8, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25083397.
- Womack AM, Hayes-Jordan A, Pratihar R, Barringer DA, Hall JH, Gidley PW, Lewin JS. Evaluation of ototoxicity in patients treated with hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) with cisplatin and sodium thiosulfate. Ear Hear 35(6):243-7, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25127324.
- Ahmed S, Gupta N, Hamilton JD, Garden AS, Gidley PW, Ginsberg LE. CT findings in temporal bone osteoradionecrosis. J Comput Assist Tomogr 38(5):662-666, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24834883.
- Gidley PW, DeMonte F. Temporal bone malignancies. Neurosurg Clin N Am 24(1):97-110, 2013. PMID: 23174361.
- Hanasono MM, Silva AK, Yu P, Skoracki RJ, Sturgis EM, Gidley PW . Comprehensive management of temporal bone defects after oncologic resection. Laryngoscope, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23070792.
- Demonte F, Gidley PW. Hearing preservation surgery for vestibular schwannoma: experience with the middle fossa approach. Neurosurg Focus 33(3):E10, 2012. PMID: 22937844.
- Gidley PW, Thompson CR, Roberts DB, DeMonte F, Hanna EY. The oncology of otology. Laryngoscope 122(2):393-400, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22252464.
- Walker GV, Ahmed S, Allen P, Gidley PW, Woo SY, DeMonte F, Chang EL, Mahajan A,. Radiation-induced middle ear and mastoid opacification in skull base tumors treated with radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol 81(5):e819-23, 2011. PMID: 21277110.
- Hanasono MM, Silva A, Skoracki RJ, Gidley PW, DeMonte F, Hanna EY, Chang DW, Yu P. Skull base reconstruction: an updated approach. Plast Reconstr Surg 128(3):675-86, 2011. PMID: 21572377.
- Gidley PW, Thompson C, Roberts DB, Weber RS. The results of temporal bone surgery for advanced or recurrent tumors of the parotid gland. Laryngoscope 121(8):1702-7, 2011. PMID: 21792957.
- Moeller BJ, Chintagumpala M, Philip JJ, Grosshans DR, McAleer MF, Woo SY, Gidley PW, Vats TS, Mahajan A. Low early ototoxicity rates for pediatric medulloblastoma patients treated with proton radiotherapy. Radiation Oncology 6(58), 2011. PMID: 21635776.
- Bell D, Gidley PW, Levine N, Fuller GN. Endolymphatic sac tumor (aggressive papillary tumor of middle ear and temporal bone): Sine qua non radiology-pathology and the University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center experience. Ann Diagn Pathol 15(2):117-123, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21167761.
- Guha-Thakurta N, Deavers M, Demonte F, Gidley PW. The natural history of primary temporal bone myxoma. Ann Diagn Pathol. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22483549.