About Dr. Penny Fang
Dr. Penny Fang is in the Department of Radiation Oncology at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center. Before her appointment as faculty, she received her BS, summa cum laude, from Harvard University, her MD from the University of Pennsylvania and completed residency training in Radiation Oncology at MD Anderson Cancer Center.
Her clinical expertise is in the treatment of lymphoma, leukemia, and other hematologic malignancies. In clinical practice, she emphasizes a compassionate, innovative, and individualized approach to patient care. Dr. Fang's research interests are in translational and clinical trials for lymphoma patients to improve cure rates and other treatment outcomes. Her research incorporates the use of immunologic, molecular, and radiologic biomarkers to understand and predict why cancer patients respond differently to therapies in order to deliver the right treatment to the right patient at the right time and investigate novel ways of optimizing treatment for individual patients with hematologic malignancies.
Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2014||University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2014||The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA, MBA, Healthcare Management|
|2009||Harvard University, Cambridge, MA, USA, BS, Neurobiology|
Institutional Committee Activities
Curriculum Chair, MD Anderson Residency Program, 2017 - 2018
Vice President, House Staff Senate, 2016 - 2017
Project Leader, Resident Quality Improvement Project, 2016 - 2017
Chair, Radiation Oncology Residency Improvement Committee, 2016 - 2017
Resident Representative, Time-Derived Activity Based Costing Project, 2016 - 2017
|2018||James D. Cox Award, Research Competition Winner, Gilbert Fletcher Society|
|2018||A. Lavoy Moore Endowed Fellowship Award, MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|2018||Young Oncologist Essay Award, American Radium Society (ARS)|
|2018||Roentgen Resident Research Award, RSNA|
|2018||Young Investigator Award, ASCO|
|2017||Clinical Excellence in Residency Training, MD Anderson Mary Fletcher Memorial Award|
|2017||Resident Research Grant Award, RSNA|
|2017||Annual Meeting Abstract Award, Physics Category, American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO)|
|2017||Young Oncologist Travel Grant, American Radium Society (ARS)|
|2014||Rose Meadow Levinson Prize, Outstanding Cancer Research, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine|
|2014||Palmer Scholar Award (Top 5% of graduating class), Director's List Academic Honors Award, Top 10% Wharton Class|
|2013||National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases Research Award, National Institutes of Health (NIH)|
|2009||Summa Cum Laude with highest honors, Neurobiology, Harvard College|
|2009||Senior Thesis Award, Highest Departmental Honors, Harvard College|
|2009||Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society Induction, Harvard College|
|2009||John Harvard Scholar Award for Academic Distinction, Top 5% of class, Harvard College|
|2007||Research Award, Harvard College|
- Sperduto PW, Fang P, Li J, Breen W, Brown PD, Cagney D, Aizer A, Yu JB, Chiang V, Jain S, Gaspar LE, Myrehaug S, Sahgal A, Braunstein S, Sneed P, Cameron B, Attia A, Molitoris J, Wu CC, Wang TJC, Lockney NA, Beal K, Parkhurst J, Buatti JM, Shanley R, Lou E, Tandberg DD, Kirkpatrick JP, Shi D, Shih HA, Chuong M, Saito H, Aoyama H, Masucci L, Roberge D, Mehta MP. Estimating Survival in Patients with Gastrointestinal Cancers and Brain Metastases: An Update of the Graded Prognostic Assessment for Gastrointestinal Cancers (GI-GPA). Clin Transl Radiat Oncol 18:39-45, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31341974.
- Fang P, Jagsi R, He W, Lei X, Campbell EG, Giordano SH, Smith GL. Rising and Falling Trends in the Use of Chemotherapy and Targeted Therapy Near the End of Life in Older Patients With Cancer. J Clin Oncol 37(20):1721-1731, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31141431.
- Sperduto PW, Fang P, Li J, Brfeen W, Brown PD, Cagney D, Aizer A, Yu J, Chiang V, Jain S, Gaspar LE, Myrehaug S, Sahgal A, Braunstein S, Sneed P, Cameron B, Attia A, Molitoris J, Wu CC, Wang TJC, Lockney N, Beal K, Parkhurst J, Buatti JM, Shanley R, Lou E, Tandberg DD, Kirkpatrick JP, Shi D, Shih HA, Chuong M, Saito H, Aoyama H, Masucci L, Roberge D, Mehta M. Survival and Prognostic Factors in Patients with Gastrointestinal Cancers and Brain Metastases: Have We Made Progress?. Transl Res 208:63-72, 2019.
- Ho JC, Fang P (co-first author), Cardenas CE, Mohamed ASR, Fuller CD, Allen PK, Bhosale PR, Frumovitz MM, Jhingran A, Klopp AH. Volumetric Assessment of Apparent Diffusion Coefficient Predicts Outcome Following Chemoradiation for Cervical Cancer. Radiother Oncol 135:58-64, 2019.
- Verma V, Sleightholm RL, Fang P, Ryckman JM, Lin C. National Cancer Data Base Report of Nonmetastatic Esophageal Small Cell Carcinoma. Cancer Med 7(12):6365-6373, 2018.
- Fang P, Musall BC, Son JB, Moreno AC, Hobbs BP, Carter BW, Fellman BM, Mawlawi O, Ma J, Lin SH. Multimodal Imaging of Pathologic Response to Chemoradiation in Esophageal Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 102(4):996-1001, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29685377.
- Fang P, Jiang W, Davuluri R, Xu C, Krishnan S, Mohan R, Koong AC, Hsu CC, Lin SH. High lymphocyte count during neoadjuvant chemoradiotherapy is associated with improved pathologic complete response in esophageal cancer. Radiother Oncol 128(3):584-590, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29530432.
- Goense L, Ruurda JP, Carter BW, Fang P, Ho L, Meijer GJ, van Hillegersberg R, Hofstetter WL, Lin SH. Prediction and Diagnosis of Interval Metastasis after Neoadjuvant Chemoradiotherapy for Esophageal Cancer Using 18F-FDG PET/CT. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 45(10):1742-1751, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29663014.
- Shiraishi Y, Fang P (co-first author), Xu C, Song J, Krishnan S, Koay EJ, Mehran RJ, Hofstetter WL, Blum-Murphy M, Ajani JA, Komaki R, Minsky B, Mohan R, Hsu CC, Hobbs BP, Lin SH. Severe lymphopenia during neoadjuvant chemoradiation for esophageal cancer: A propensity matched analysis of the relative risk of proton versus photon-based radiation therapy. Radiother Oncol 128(1):154-160, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29248170.
- Fang P, He W, Gomez D, Hoffman KE, Smith BD, Giordano SH, Jagsi R, Smith GL. Racial disparities in guideline-concordant cancer care and mortality in the United States. Adv Radiat Oncol 3(3):221-229, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30202793.
- Moreno AC, Haque W, Verma V, Fang P, Lin SH. Concurrent Versus Sequential Chemoradiation Therapy in Completely Resected Pathologic N2 Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: Propensity-Matched Analysis of the National Cancer Data Base. Ann Surg Oncol 25(5):1245-1253, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29484562.
- Verma V, Moreno AC, Haque W, Fang P, Lin SH. Sequential Versus Concurrent Chemoradiation Therapy by Surgical Margin Status in Resected Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. J Natl Compr Canc Netw 16(5):508-516, 2018. PMID: 29752325.
- Fang P, Boehling NS, Koay EJ, Bucheit AD, Jakob JA, Settle SH, Brown PD, Davies MA, Sulman EP. Melanoma brain metastases harboring BRAF V600K or NRAS mutations are associated with an increased local failure rate following conventional therapy. J Neurooncol 137(1):67-75, 2018. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29198052.
- Barua S, Fang P (co-first author), Sharma A, Fujimoto J, Wistuba I, Rao AUK, Lin SH. Spatial interaction of tumor cells and regulatory T cells correlates with survival in non-small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer 117:73-79, 2018. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29409671.
- Fang P, Shiraishi Y, Verma V, Jiang W, Song J, Hobbs BP, Lin SH. Lymphocyte-Sparing Effect of Proton Therapy in Patients with Esophageal Cancer Treated with Definitive Chemoradiation. Int J Part Ther 4(3):23-32, 2018. PMID: 30079369.
- Fang P, Swanick CW, Pezzi TA, Liao Z, Welsh J, Lin SH, Gomez DR. Outcomes and toxicity following high-dose radiation therapy in 15 fractions for non-small cell lung cancer. Pract Radiat Oncol 7(6):433-441, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28428017.
- Pezzi TA, Tang C, Swanick CW, Fang P, Hess K, Xu T, Hahn SM, Chang JY, Liao Z, Gomez D. Patterns and correlates of treatment failure in relation to isodose distribution in non-small cell lung cancer: An analysis of 1522 patients in the modern era. Radiother Oncol 125(2):325-330, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29054376.
- Woodward WA, Fang P (co-first author), Arriaga L, Gao H, Cohen EN, Reuben JM, Valero V, Le-Petross H, Middleton LP, Babiera GV, Strom EA, Tereffe W, Hoffman K, Smith BD, Buchholz TA, Perkins GH. A phase 2 study of capecitabine and concomitant radiation in women with advanced breast cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 99(4):777-783, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28843370.
- An Y, Jiang W, Kim BYS, Qian JM, Tang C, Fang P, Logan J, D'Souza NM, Haydu LE, Wang XA, Hess KR, Kluger H, Glitza IC, Mahajan A, Welsh JW, Lin SH, Yu JB, Davies MA, Hwu P, Sulman EP, Brown PD, Chiang VLS, Li J. Stereotactic radiosurgery of early melanoma brain metastases after initiation of anti-CTLA-4 treatment is associated with improved intracranial control. Radiother Oncol 125(1):80-88, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28916225.
- Davuluri R, Jiang W, Fang P, Xu C, Komaki R, Gomez DR, Welsh J, Cox JD, Crane CH, Hsu CC, Lin SH. Lymphocyte Nadir and Esophageal Cancer Survival Outcomes After Chemoradiation Therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 99(1):128-135, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28816138.
- Fang P, Jiang W, Allen P, Glitza I, Guha N, Hwu P, Ghia A, Phan J, Mahajan A, Tawbi H, Li J. Radiation necrosis with stereotactic radiosurgery combined with CTLA-4 blockade and PD-1 inhibition for treatment of intracranial disease in metastatic melanoma. J Neurooncol 133(3):595-602, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28500560.
- Fang P, He W, Gomez DR, Hoffman KE, Smith BD, Giordano SH, Jagsi R, Smith GL. Influence of Age on Guideline-Concordant Cancer Care for Elderly Patients in the United States. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 98(4):748-757, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28366580.
- Fang P. Internal Mammary Misfortune. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 97(3):447, 2017. PMID: 28126294.
- D'Souza NM, Fang P (co-first author), Logan J, Yang J, Jiang W, Li J. Combining Radiation Therapy with Immune Checkpoint Blockade for Central Nervous System Malignancies. Front Oncol 6:212, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27774435.
- Fang P, Batra S, Hollander AB, Lin A, Hill-Kayser CE, Levin LM, Mupparapu M, Thompson RF. Development and evaluation of a standardized method and atlas for contouring primary and permanent dentition. Dentomaxillofac Radiol 44(7):2015501034, 2015.
- Fang P, Mick R, Deville C, Both S, Bekelman JE, Christodouleas JP, Guzzo TJ, Tochner Z, Hahn SM, Vapiwala N. A Case-Matched Study of Toxicity Outcomes After Proton Therapy and Intensity-Modulated Radiation Therapy for Prostate Cancer. Cancer 121(7):1118-27, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25423899.
- Fang P, Tan KS, Grover S, McFadien MK, Troxel AB, Lin L. Psychosocial Encounters Correlates with Higher Patient-Reported Functional Quality of Life in Gynecological Cancer Patients Receiving Radiotherapy. Radiat Oncol 10:34, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25657054.
- Zou W, Yin L, Shen J, Corradetti MN, Kirk M, Munbodh R, Fang P, Jabbour SK, Simone CB, Yue NJ, Rengan R, Teo BK. Dynamic Simulation of Motion Effects in IMAT Lung SBRT. Radiat Oncol 9:225, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25365935.
- Alonso-Basanta M, Fang P (co-first author), Maity A, Hahn SM, Lustig RA, Dorsey JF. A Phase I Study of Nelfinavir Concurrent with Temozolomide and Radiotherapy in Patients with Glioblastoma Multiforme. J Neurooncol 116(2):365-372, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24194293.
- Fang P, Tan KS, Troxel AB, Rengan R, Freedman G, Lin LL. High Body Mass Index is Associated with Worse Quality of Life in Breast Cancer Patients Receiving Radiotherapy. Breast Cancer Res Treat 141(1):125-33, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23942874.
- Millen JC, Ginde AA, Anderson AT, Fang P, Camargo CA. Multicenter Study of Knowledge About Human Papilloma Virus and Attitudes Among Emergency Department Patients. J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol 22(6):356-9, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19576825.