Professor, Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine, Division of Anesthesiology and Critical Care, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|1977||University of Toronto, Faculty of Medicine, Toronto, CAN, MD, Medicine|
|1973||University of Toronto, Faculty of Arts and Science, Toronto, CAN, BSc, B.Sc. in Biochemistry and Chemistry|
|1997-1998||Master Teacher Fellowship, Drs. Boyd Richards & Andrew Wilking, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX|
|1992-1992||Introduction to Epidemiology - CHL3113, Introduction to Epidemiology - CHL3113, University of Toronto, Toronto|
|1982-1983||Clinical Fellowship (Thoracic, Vascular), Toronto General Hospital, (Anaesthesia Associates/SJ Teasdale/AA Scott), Toronto|
|1982-1982||Resident IV, Department of Anaesthesia, Toronto Western Hospital, Toronto,, Toronto|
|1981-1981||Resident IV, Department of Anaesthesia, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto|
|1980-1981||Resident III, Department of Medicine, Toronto East General Hospital, Toronto|
|1980-1980||Resident II, Department of Anaesthesia, Toronto General Hospital, Toronto|
|1979-1979||Resident II, Department of Anaesthesia, St. Michael's Hospital, Toronto|
|1979-1979||Resident I, Department of Anaesthesia, Sunnybrook Medical Center, Toronto|
|1978-1978||Resident I, Department of Anaesthesia, Mount Sinai Hospital, Toronto|
|1977-1978||Rotating Internship, St. Joseph's Health Center, Toronto|
|2009||Recertified - American Board of Anesthesiology|
|1996||Recertified - American Board of Anesthesiology|
|1984||Diplomate - American Board of Anesthesiology|
|1982||Royal College of Physicians of Canada|
|1977||Licentiate Medical Council of Canada, (LMCC)|
Voluntary Associate Professor, Department of Department of Anesthesiology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 2000 - 2004
Associate Professor, Department of Department of Anesthesiology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 2000 - 2000
Assistant Professor, Department of Department of Anesthesiology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 1995 - 1999
Assistant Professor, Department of Department of Anaesthesia, University of Toronto, Toronto, 1988 - 1992
Consultant in Anesthesia, Clarke Institute of Psychiatry, Toronto, 1982 - 1992
Chairman - Curriculum Committee, Department of Department of Anesthesiology, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, 1999 - 2000
Chairman - Cardiac Perfusion Committee, Michener Institute of Medical Technology, Toronto, 1990 - 1992
Anaesthesia Co-Director, Cardiovascular Intensive Care Unit, Toronto General Hospital , 1990 - 1992
Director - Obstetric Anaesthesia, Toronto General Hospital, 1988 - 1991
Coordinator, Grand Rounds , Department of Department of Anaesthesia, Toronto General Hospital, 1987 - 1992
Medical Director, Hyperbaric Medicine , Toronto General Hospital , 1983 - 1985
Anaesthesia Co-Director, Recovery Room, Toronto General Hospital, 1983 - 1988
Anaesthesia Co-Director, Neurosurgical Intensive Care Unit, Toronto General Hospital, 1983 - 1988
District 7 - Delegate Place 4, Texas Society of Anesthesiologists District 7 Delegate Place 4, Houston, TX, 2002 - 2008
Consultant and Attending, Houston VA Medical Center, Houston, TX, 1998 - 2000
Assistant Attending , The Methodist Hospital-Houston VA Medical Center, Houston, TX, 1998 - 2000
Staff Anesthesiologist , Ben Taub General Hospital, Houston, TX, 1995 - 2000
Staff Anesthesiologist , Covenant Medical Center, Waterloo, IA, 1993 - 1995
Staff Anesthesiologist , Allen Memorial Hospital, Waterloo, IA, 1992 - 1995
Assistant Business Manager , Anaesthesia Associates, 1990 - 1992
Budget Director, Toronto General Hospital, 1990 - 1992
Full Partner , Anesthesia Associates, 1983 - 1992
Staff Anaesthetist, Toronto General Hospital, 1982 - 1992
Clinical Assistant, Anesthesia Associates, 1982 - 1983
Institutional Committee Activities
Member, UT MD Anderson Faculty Senate, 2008 - 2017
Member, MDACC Anesthesiology - Risk Stratification Working Group, 2007 - 2008
Member, Clinical Research Committee III, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2006 - 2007
Chair, UTMDACC Anesthesia Narcotic Abuse Committee, 2006 - 2008
Chair, UTMDACC Anesthesia Time Away Committee, 2005 - 2006
Member, UTMDACC Faculty Senate Travel Commodity Committee, 2005 - 2008
Member, UTMDACC Institutional Search Committee for Chair, 2005 - 2006
Member, Clinical Research Committee I, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, 2005 - 2006
Chair, UTMDACC Anesthesia Dental Injury Committee, 2005 - Present
Member, UTMDACC Division of Surgery - Robot Surgery Committee, 2005 - 2009
Member, UTMDACC Anesthesiology Promotions Committee, 2005 - 2006
Member, UTMDACC Division of Surgery - Minimally Invasive & New Techologies in Oncologic Surgery Committee (MINTOS), 2005 - 2011
Chair, UTMDACC Faculty Senate Clinical Affairs Committee, 2004 - 2006
Member, UTMDACC Faculty Senate Academic Planning Committee, 2004 - Present
Member, UTMDACC Faculty Senate Information Technology, 2004 - Present
Member, UTMDACC Faculty Senate Clinical Affairs Committee, 2004 - Present
Member, UT MD Anderson Faculty Senate, 2003 - 2006
Member, Preoperative Clinic Committee, 2003 - 2004
Member, Anesthesiology Research Committee, 2002 - 2004
Member, PICIS Users Group, 2002 - 2004
Member, Clinical Research Committee II, 2001 - 2004
Chair, Anesthesiology Curriculum Committee, 1999 - 2000
Member, Anesthesiology Resident Selection Committee, 1999 - 2000
Member, Anesthesiology Research Committee, 1998 - 2000
Member, Anesthesiology Computer Committee, 1998 - 2000
Member, Quality Panel for Peer Review, 1997 - 2000
Member, Outcomes Research Group, 1996 - 1999
Member, Blood Utilization Committee, 1993 - 1995
Member, Medical Audit Committee, 1992 - 1992
Member, Operating Room Computerization Committee, 1990 - 1991
Member, Budget Committee, 1990 - 1992
Member, Clinical Clerk Committee, 1989 - 1992
Member, Clinical Program Committee - Proposed Linkage, 1989 - 1990
Member, Cardiac Perfusion Committee, 1988 - 1992
Member, Joint Committee on Obstetrics/Gynecology, 1988 - 1991
Member, Maternal-Fetal Medicine Committee, 1988 - 1991
Member, Quality Assurance Committee, 1985 - 1992
|2000||Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching , Baylor College of Medicine - Department of Anesthesiology|
|1999||Dean H. Morrow, M.D. Resident Mentor Award, Baylor College of Medicine - Department of Anesthesiology|
|1998||Excellence in Teaching Award for Nurse Anesthesia, Baylor College of Medicine – Division of Allied Health Sciences|
|1998||Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching, Baylor College of Medicine - Department of Anesthesiology|
|1997||Dean H. Morrow, M.D. Resident Mentor Award, Baylor College of Medicine - Department of Anesthesiology|
|1993||Healthcare Excellence Award , Allen Memorial Hospital, Waterloo, Iowa.|
|1991||Toronto Hospital Certificate of Appreciation for Personal Commitment to Medical Education, The Toronto Hospital, Department of Medical Education|
|1987||John Desmond - Best TGH Anaesthesia Teacher Award, Toronto General Hospital - Department of Anaesthesia|
|1980||"Second Prize - Scientific Exhibit: ""Sickle Cell Disease & Anaesthesia"" Canadian Anaesthetists' ", Society 37th Annual Meeting, Toronto|
|1971||New College Scholarship. , University of Toronto|
|1970||Ontario Scholar, Ontario Government|
- Daley MD, Norman PH. Retrospective but not rigorous. Anesthesiology 111(1):203; author reply 203-4, 2009. PMID: 19546695.
- Norman PH, Thall PF, Purugganan RV,. A possible association between aprotinin and improved survival after radical surgery for mesothelioma. Cancer 115(4):833-41, 2009. PMID: 19130460.
- Sarkiss M, Kennedy M, Riedel B, Norman P, Morice R Jimenez C, Eapen G. Anesthesia Technique for Endobronchial Ultrasound-guided Fine Needle Aspiration of Mediastinal Lymph Node. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 6(6):892-6, 2007. PMID: 18068076.
- Daley M Denise, Peter H Norman, Jessie A Leak, Dy TNguyen, Thao PBui:. Pulse Oximetry Desaturation Following The Use Of Isosulfan Blue: Influence Of The Site Of Injection. . The Internet Journal of Anesthesiology 9(2), 2005.
- Daley MD, Norman PH, Leak JA, Nguyen DT, Bui TP, Kowalski AM, Srejic U, Popat K, Arens JF, Gershenwald JE, Hunt KK, Kuerer HM. Adverse events associated with the intraoperative injection of isosulfan blue. J Clin Anesth 16(5):332-41, 2004. PMID: 15374553.
- Aucar JA, Norman P, Whitten E, Granchi TS, Liscum KR, Wall MJ, Mattox KL. Intraoperative detection of traumatic coagulopathy using the activated coagulation time. Shock 19(5):404-7, 2003. PMID: 12744481.
- Norman PH, Daley MD, Lindsey RW. Preemptive analgesic effects of ketorolac in ankle fracture surgery. Anesthesiology 94(4):599-603, 2001. PMID: 11379679.
- Daley MD, Norman PH, Coveler LA. Tracheal extubation of adult surgical patients while deeply anesthetized: a survey of United States anesthesiologists. J Clin Anesth 11(6):445-52, 1999. PMID: 10526821.
- Daley MD, Norman PH. Coveler LA Additional safety issues cited for sleep apnea cases. Clin Monit Comput 14(3):213-214, 1998.
- Scherbenske KJ, Norman P. Ascaris lumbricoides: a case report. Aana J 66(1):88-90, 1998. PMID: 9624940.
- Norman PH, Daley MD, Walker JR, Fusetti S. Obstruction due to retained carbon dioxide absorber canister wrapping. Anesth Analg 83(2):425-6, 1996. PMID: 8694331.
- Karski JM, Teasdale SJ, Norman P, Carroll J, VanKessel K, Wong P, Glynn MF. Prevention of bleeding after cardiopulmonary bypass with high-dose tranexamic acid. Double-blind, randomized clinical trial. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 110(3):835-42, 1995. PMID: 7564453.
- Sandler AN, Baxter AD, Katz J, Samson B, Friedlander M, Norman P, Koren G, Roger S, Hull K, Klein J. A double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of transdermal fentanyl after abdominal hysterectomy. Analgesic, respiratory, and pharmacokinetic effects. Anesthesiology 81(5):1169-80; discussion 26A, 1994. PMID: 7978475.
- Norman PH, Daley MD, Sandler AN. Oxygenation and ventilation characteristics of thoracic surgical patients the night before surgery. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 8(5):495-501, 1994. PMID: 7803736.
- Carstoniu J, Levytam S, Norman P, Daley D, Katz J, Sandler AN. Nitrous oxide in early labor. Safety and analgesic efficacy assessed by a double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Anesthesiology 80(1):30-5, 1994. PMID: 8291726.
- Karski JM, Teasdale SJ, Norman PH, Carroll JA, Weisel RD, Glynn MF. Prevention of postbypass bleeding with tranexamic acid and epsilon-aminocaproic acid. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth 7(4):431-5, 1993. PMID: 8104526.
- Norman P, Williams WG, Daley D, Ginsberg J. Pulmonary Artery Slings and Anesthesia. . Journal of Cardiothoracic Anesthesia 6:212-214, 1992. PMID: 1568010.
- Daley MD, Norman PH, Colmenares ME, Sandler AN. Hypoxaemia in adults in the post-anaesthesia care unit. Can J Anaesth 38(6):740-6, 1991. PMID: 1914057.
- Norman PH, Mycyk T. Dissection of ascending thoracic aorta complicated by cardiac tamponade. Can J Anaesth 36(4):470-2, 1989. PMID: 2758547.
- Liberman BA, Norman P, Hardy BG. Pancuronium-phenytoin interaction: a case of decreased duration of neuromuscular blockade. Int J Clin Pharmacol Ther Toxicol 26(8):371-4, 1988. PMID: 3220609.
|Title:||Does preoperative rofecoxib improve postoperative analgesia with patient-controlled epidural analgesia following thoracotomy for lung resection?|
|Funding Source:||Merck Grant|
|Title:||Uses of Aprotinin in Extrapleural Pneumonectomy: Effects on Blood Loss, Pulmonary Function, Immediate Outcome, Postoperative Pain, Chronic Pain and Survival|
|Title:||Active Comparator-Controlled, Parallel-Group Study, Conducted Under In-House Blinding Conditions, to Examine the Safety, Tolerability, and Efficacy of 2 Doses of Aprepitant for the Prevention of Postoperative Nausea and Vomiting|
|Funding Source:||Merck and Co|