About Dr. Thall
Peter F. Thall is the Anise J. Sorrell Professor in the Department of Biostatistics at M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, where he has been a Science Faculty member since 1990. He is a Fellow of the American Statistical Association (ASA) and the Society for Clinical Trials, and received the Don Owen Award from the San Antonio Chapter of the ASA in 2014. Dr. Thall has pioneered the application of Bayesian methods in medical research. He is an author of over 220 papers and book chapters in the statistical and medical literature, and co-authored the 2016 book " Bayesian Designs for Phase I-II Clinical Trials". He has designed hundreds of clinical trials in numerous areas of oncology, including leukemia, sarcomas, stem cell transplantation, cellular therapy, prostate cancer, kidney cancer, thoracic surgery, and brain tumors. His research areas include Bayesian statistics, clinical trial design, medical decision analysis, and dynamic treatment regimes. He has presented over 200 invited talks at national and international conferences, academic institutions, and federal agencies, and 30 short courses on statistical methods for clinical trial design and data analysis. He has served as an associate editor (AE) for Journal of the National Cancer Institute and Statistics in Medicine, and currently serves as an ASA Media Expert and an AE of the journals Statistics in Biosciences, Clinical Trials, and Biometrics. Dr. Thall is Principal Investigator of the NIH/NCI RO1 grant “Statistical Methods for Complex Cancer Trials.”
Professor, Department of Biostatistics, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Clinical trial design
Adaptive decision making in clinical trials
Dynamic treatment regimes
Geometric methods for constructing decision criteria
Computer-intensive methods in statistics
|1975||Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL, USA, PHD, Statistics & Probability|
|1973||Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL, USA, MS, Statistics|
|1971||Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, USA, BS, Mathematics|
|2014||Fellow, Society for Clinical Trials|
|2014||Owen Award, San Antonio Chapter of the American Statistical Association|
- Wathen JK, Thall PF. A simulation study of outcome adaptive randomization in multi-arm clinical trials. Clin Trials 14(5):432-440, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28982263.
- Chapple AG, Vannucci M, Thall PF, Lin SH. Bayesian variable selection for a semi-competing risks model with three hazard functions. Computational Statistics and Data Analysis 112:170-185, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29033478.
- Morita S, Thall PF, Takeda K. A simulation study of methods for selecting subgroup-specific doses in phase 1 trials. Pharm Stat 16(2):143-156, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28111916.
- Murray TA, Thall PF, Yuan Y, McAvoy S, Gomez DR. Robust treatment comparison based on utilities of semi-competing risks in non-small-cell lung cancer. J Am Stat Assoc 112:11-23, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28943681.
- Thall PF, Nguyen HQ, Zinner RG. Parametric dose standardization for two-agent combinations in a phase I-II trial with ordinal outcomes. J Royal Statistical Society, Series C (Applied Statistics) 66:201-224, 2017. PMID: 28255183.
- Xu Y, Thall PF, Müller P, Mehran RJ. A decision-theoretic comparison of treatments to resolve air leaks after lung surgery based on nonparametric modeling. Bayesian Anal 12(3):639-652, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 28959372.
- Murray TA, Thall PF, Yuan Y. Utility-based designs for randomized comparative trials with categorical outcomes. Stat Med 35(24):4285-4305, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27189672.
- Xu Y, Müller P, Wahed AS, Thall PF. Bayesian nonparametric estimation for dynamic treatment regimes with sequential transition times (with discussion). J Am Stat Assoc 111(515):921-950, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 28018015.
- Lee J, Thall PF, Ji Y, Müller P. Bayesian Dose-Finding in Two Treatment Cycles Based on the Joint Utility of Efficacy and Toxicity. J Am Stat Assoc 110(510):711-722, 2015. PMID: 26366026.
- Wang L, Shen J, Thall PF. A Modified Adaptive Lasso for Identifying Interactions in the Cox Model with the Heredity Constraint. Stat Probab Lett 93:126-133, 2014. PMID: 25071299.
- Thall PF, Nguyen HQ, Zohar S, Maton P. Optimizing sedative dose in preterm infants undergoing treatment for respiratory distress syndrome. J Am Stat Assoc 109(507):931-943, 2014. PMID: 25368435.
- Jin IH, Liu S, Thall PF, Yuan Y. Using data augmentation to facilitate conduct of phase I/II clinical trials with delayed outcomes. J Am Stat Assoc 109(506):525-536, 2014. PMID: 25382884.
- Thall PF, Nguyen HQ, Braun TM, Qazilbash MH. Using joint utilities of the times to response and toxicity to adaptively optimize schedule-dose regimes. Biometrics 69(3):673-682, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23957592.
- Wahed AS, Thall PF. Evaluating joint effects of induction-salvage treatment regimes on overall survival in acute leukemia. J R Stat Soc Ser C Appl Stat 62(1):67-83, 2013. PMID: 24014891.
- Wang L, Rotnitzky A, Lin X, Millikan RE, Thall PF. Evaluation of viable dynamic treatment regimes in a sequentially randomized trial of advanced prostate cancer. J Am Stat Assoc 107(498):493-508, (with discussion, pages 509-517), 2012. PMID: 22956855.
- Thall PF, Nguyen HQ, Wang X, Wolff JE. A hybrid geometric phase II/III clinical trial design based on treatment failure time and toxicity. J Stat Plan Inference 142(4):944-955, 2012. PMID: 22228921.
- Thall PF, Nguyen HQ. Adaptive randomization to improve utility-based dose-finding with bivariate ordinal outcomes. J Biopharm Stat 22(4):785-801, 2012. PMID: 22651115.
- Thall PF, Szabo A, Nguyen HQ, Amlie-Lefond CM, Zaidat OO. Optimizing the concentration and bolus of a drug delivered by continuous infusion. Biometrics 67(4):1638-46, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21401568.
- Morita S, Thall PF, Bekele BN, Mathew P. A Bayesian hierarchical mixture model for platelet derived growth factor receptor phosphorylation to improve estimation of progression-free survival in prostate cancer. J R Stat Soc Ser C Appl Stat 59(1):19-34, 2009. PMID: 20390057.
- Thall PF, Nguyen HQ, Estey EH. Patient-specific dose finding based on bivariate outcomes and covariates. Biometrics 64(4):1126-36, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18355387.
- Wathen JK, Thall PF, Cook JD, Estey EH. Accounting for patient heterogeneity in phase II clinical trials. Stat Med 27(15):2802-15, 2008. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17948869.
- Morita S, Thall PF, Müller P. Determining the effective sample size of a parametric prior. Biometrics 64(2):595-602, 2008. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17764481.
- Braun TM, Thall PF, Nguyen H, de Lima M. Simultaneously optimizing dose and schedule of a new cytotoxic agent. Clin Trials 4(2):113-124, 2007. PMID: 17456511.
- Thall PF, Wooten LH, Logothetis CJ, Millikan RE, Tannir NM. Bayesian and frequentist two-stage treatment strategies based on sequential failure times subject to interval censoring. Stat Med 26(26):4687-4702, 2007. PMID: 17427204.
- Thall PF, Wooten LH, Shpall EJ. A geometric approach to comparing treatments for rapidly fatal diseases. Biometrics 62(1):193-201, 2006. PMID: 16542246.
- Thall PF, Wathen JK. Covariate-adjusted adaptive randomization in a sarcoma trial with multi-stage treatments. Stat Med 24(13):1947-1964, 2005. PMID: 15806621.
- Thall PF, Sung H-G, Estey EH. Selecting therapeutic strategies based on efficacy and death in multi-course clinical trials. J American Statistical Assoc 97:29-39, 2002.
- Thall PF, Simon RM, Estey EH. Bayesian sequential monitoring designs for single-arm clinical trials with multiple outcomes. Stat Med 14(4):357-379, 1995. PMID: 7746977.
- Müller P, Xu Y, Thall PF. Clinical trial design as a decision problem. Appl Stoch Models Bus Ind 33(3):296-301, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 29200977.
- Thall. Discussion of Analysis of forensic DNA mixtures with artefacts by Cowell, Graversen, Lauritzen and Mortera. J Royal Statistical Society, Series C 64:1-48, 2015.
- Thall PF. Bayesian adaptive dose-finding based on efficacy and toxicity. J. Statistical Research 14:187-202, 2012.
- Thall PF. Bayesian models and decision algorithms for complex early phase clinical trials. Stat Sci 25(2):227-44, 2010. PMID: 21318084.
- Thall PF. A review of phase 2-3 clinical trial designs. Lifetime Data Anal 14(1):37-53, 2008. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17763973.
- Thall PF. Some geometric methods for constructing decision criteria based on two-dimensional parameters. J Stat Plan Inference 138(2):516-527, 2008. PMID: 18617987.
- Thall PF, Wathen JK. Practical Bayesian adaptive randomisation in clinical trials. Eur J Cancer 43(5):859-66, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17306975.
|Title:||Cancer Center Support Grant (CCSG) - Biostatistics Resource Group (BRG)|
|Title:||Therapy of CML - Biostatistics Core (PC-B)|
|Title:||Immunologic Checkpoint Blockade in Cancer Therapy|
|Funding Source:||American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)|
|Title:||Statistical Methods for Complex Cancer Trials|
|Title:||Improving Cord Blood Transplantation (Core B-Biostatistics)|
|Title:||Off-the-shelf engineered NK cells for the treatment of AML|
|Title:||Novel Cord Blood-Derived Cellular Therapies|
|Role:||Core B Director|
|Title:||Fast Track: An Adaptive Phase I/II Dose Escalation Trial of Sterotactic Body Radiation Therapy in Combination with Radiomodulating Agent GC4419 in Locally Advanced Pancreatic AdenoCarcinoma|
|Funding Source:||Galera Therapeutics, Inc|