About Dr. Hou
Ping Hou, Ph.D., DABR, is currently an Associate Professor of Imaging Physics. After obtaining her Ph.D. in physics, focused on MR angiography in 1993 from University of Utah, she joined the MR pulse sequence development group at General Electric Medical Systems. This industrial experience granted her an in-depth understanding MR system, MR physics, pulse sequence implementation and its applications. Prior to joining MD Anderson Cancer Center, she bridged through industrial experience and academic research at the University of Texas Medical School in Houston as an Assistant Professor. There she participated in MR research on multiple sclerosis and other neurological diseases using fMRI and perfusion imaging on 3T systems. She is passionate about clinic challenges of MR imaging, and plays a key role in fMRI pre-surgical planning. Her research interests include advanced neuroimaging, such as fMRI, diffusion tensor imaging (DTI), dynamic contrast enhanced (DCE) imaging, dynamic susceptibility contrast (DSC) imaging and MR spectroscopy (MRS) imaging. Currently, she is a collaborator of two grants (R01s) for fMRI study, as well as a pediatric brain tumor study. In addition to neuroimaging, she also actively collaborated with body radiologists, initiated quantitative liver iron study in MD Anderson.
Dr. Hou is a committee member of American Association of Medical Physics (AAPM) and also actively teaching graduate student in Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (GSBS) and medical physics resident.
Associate Professor, Department of Imaging Physics, Division of Diagnostic Imaging, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) | MRI Pulse Sequence Design and Implementation | Perfusion Imaging | Functional MRI | MRI Quality Assurance
Conventional neuro MR imaging | Presurgical planning – fMRI, DTI | Advanced MR imaging – DTI, DSC, DCE, MRS | Pediatric MR imaging – MRS, DTI | Body MR imaging – live iron measurment
|1993||University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA, PHD, Physics|
|1989||University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA, MS, Physics|
|1985||Institute of Metallurgy, Academic Sinica, Shanghai, CHN, MS, Physics|
|1982||Nanjing University, Nanjing, CHN, BS, Physics|
|2006||American Board of Radiology - Diagnostic Radiological Physics|
- Sandberg DI, Rytting M, Zaky W, Kerr M, Ketonen L, Kundu U, Moore BD, Yang G, Hou P, Sitton C, Cooper LJ, Gopalakrishnan V, Lee DA, Thall PF, Khatua S. Methotrexate Administration Directly into the Fourth Ventricle in Children with Malignant Fourth Ventricular Brain Tumors: A Pilot Clinical Trial. J Neurooncol 125(1):133-41, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26255071.
- Soumen Khatua, Ping Hou, Ravi Bodiwala, Johannes Wolff, Jackson Hamilton, Shekhar Patil, Wafik Zaky, Anita Mahajan, Keena Ketonen. Preliminary experience with diffusion tensor imaging during re-irradiation treatment in children with progressive diffuse pontine glioma. Childs Nervous System, 2014. e-Pub 2014.
- Ping Hou, Uday R. Popat, Richard J. Lindsay, Edward F. Jackson and Haesun Choi. A Practical Approach for a Wide Range of Liver Iron Quantitation Using a Magnetic Resonance Imaging Technique. Radiology Research and Practice 2012:1-9, 2012.
- Boonsirikamchai P, Kaur H, Hou P, Jackson EF, Kuban D, Choi H. Use of Maximum Slope Images Generated from Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced Magnetic Resonance Imaging to Detect Locally Recurrent Prostate Carcinoma Following Prostatectomy – A Practical Approach. American Journal of Roentgenology AJR2012(198):W228-W236, 2012. e-Pub 2012.
- Hamilton JD, Kumar VA, Hayman LA, Prabhu SS, Hou P, Jackson EF, Groneman M, Pagani J, Vabulas M, Kumar AJ. Deformable Anatomic Templates Embed Knowledge into Brain Images: Part 2. Validation Using Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Motor Hand. Journal of Computer Assisted Tomography 36(2):280-284, 2012.
- Kaur H, Choi H, You YN, Rauch GM, Hou P, Chang GJ, Skibber JM, Ernst RD. MRI for the Preoperative Staging of Primary Rectal Cancer-Practical Considerations for Imaging. Radiographics 32(2):p389 - p409, 2012. e-Pub 2012.
- Sedrak P, Ketonen L, Hou P, Guha-Thakurta N, Williams MD, Kurzrock R, Debnam JM. Erdheim-Chester Disease of the Central Nervous System: New Manifestations of a Rare Disease. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 32(11):2126-31, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21960492.
- Levin VA, Bidaut L, Hou P, Kumar AJ, Wefel JS, Bekele BN, Prabhu S, Loghin M, Gilbert MR, Jackson EF.. Randomized Double-Blind Placebo-Controlled Trial of Bevacizumab Therapy for Radiation Necrosis of the Central Nervous System. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 79(5):1487-1495, 2011.
- Zhou W, Hou P, Zhou Y, Chen D. Reduced Recruitment of Orbitofrontal Cortex to Human Social Chemosensory Cues in Social Anxiety. NeuroImage, 2011.
- De EJB, Hou P, Estrera AL, Sdrinkgola S, Kramer LA, Graves DE, Westney OL. Pelvic Ischemia is Measurable and Symptomatic in Patients with Coronary Artery Disease: A Novel Application of Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced Magnetic Resonance Imaging. The Journal of Sexual Medicine 5(11):2635-2645, 2008.
- Nelson FM, Poonawalla AH, Hou P, Wolinsky JS, Narayana PA. 3D MPRAGE improves classification of cortical lesions in multiple sclerosis. Multi Scler 14(9):1214-1219, 2008.
- Poonawalla AH, Hou P, Nelson FM, Wolinsky JS, Narayana PA. Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Cervical Spinal Cord Lesions in Multiple Sclerosis Using T1-Weighted Inversion Recovery with Phase-Sensitive Reconstruction. Radiology, 2007.
- Nelson FM, Poonawalla AH, Hou P, Huang F, Wolinsky JS, Narayana PA. Improved Identification of Intracortical Lesions in Multiple Sclerosis Using Phase Sensitive Inversion Recovery in Combination with Fast Double Inversion Recovery Magnetic Resonance Imaging. American Journal of Neurology 28(9):1645-1649, 2007.
- Hou P, De EJB, Kramer LA, Westney OL. Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced MRI Study of Male Pelvic Perfusion at 3T: Preliminary Clinic Report. Journal of Magnetic Resonance Imaging 25(1):160-169, 2007.
- Trivedi R, Gupta RK, Hasan KM, Hou P. Diffusion Tensor Imaging in Polymicrogyria: A Report of Three Cases. Neuroradiology 48(6):422-427, 2006.
- Hou P, Hasan KM, Sitton CW, Wolinsky JS, Narayana PA. Phase Sensitive T1 Inversion Recovery Imaging: A Time Efficient Interleaved Technique for Improved Tissue Contrast in Neuroimaging. American Journal of Neuroradiology 26:1432-1438, 2005.
- Robinson RO, Blatter DD, Parker DL, Hou P, Collins JS, Barney WW. Fat Suppression in Combination With Multiple Overlapping Thin-Slab 3-D Acqusition MR Angiography: Proposed Technique for Improved Vessel Visualization. American Journal of Neuroradiology 13:1429-1434, 1992.
- Hou P, Parker DL, Blatter DD, Robinson RO. Hybrid MR Angiography and Fourier Velocity Imaging Using Two Echo 3D Acquisition. Magnetic Resonance in Medicine 19:203-208, 1991.
- Hamilton JD, Hayman LA, Kumar VA , Prabhu SS, Hou P, Jackson EF, Groneman M, Kumar AJ. Deformable Anatomic Templates (DAT) Validation Using fMRI of the Motor Cortex of the Hand as a Complementary Technique for Pre-Surgical Motor Tract Localization. ASNR, New York, New York, 2012, 2012.
- Chi TL, Al Ibraheemi AKB, Hou P, Schiffman JS. Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced MR Imaging of Orbital and Anterior Visual Pathway Lesions. Poster #079, ASNR, New York, New York, 2012, 2012.
- Hamilton JD, Levin VA, Hou P, Prabhu S, Loghin ME, Gilbert MR, Bassett RL, Wang J, Yung WKA, Jackson EF, Kumar AJ.. Bevacizumab Therapy for Radiation Induced Necrosis of the Brain: Advanced MRI Demonstrates Decreased Vessel Leakage/ Edema & Predicts Complications. Society of Neuro-Oncology, Orange County, California, November 2011, 2011.
- Hamilton JD, Wang J, Levin VA, Hou P, Loghin ME, Gilbert MR, Leeds NE, deGroot JF, Puduvalli V, Jackson EF, Yung WKA, Kumar AJ.. Normalized baseline ADC values predict problems associated with Bevacizumab treatment for glioblastoma multiforme or brain radiation induced necrosis. Society of Neuro-Oncology, Orange County, California, November 2011, 2011.
- Jackson D. Hamilton, L. Anne Hayman, Vinodh A. Kumar, Sujit S. Prabhu, Ping Hou, Edward F. Jackson, Megan Groneman, John Pagani, Mark Vabulas, and Ashok J. Kumar. Deformable Anatomic Template Validation Using fMRI for Motor Cortex of the Hand. ISMRM Scientific Workshop: Mapping Functional Networks for Brain Surgery;Milan, Italy: September 6-9, 2011, 2011.
- Hou P, Popat UR, Lindsay RJ, Jackson EF, Choi H. A practical approach for liver iron measurement in a clinical setting. The American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM), July 31 - Aug 4, 2011, Vancouver, Canada, 2011.
- Sedrak P, Ketonen L, Hou P, Guha-Thakurta N, Williams MD, Kurzrock R, Debnam JM. Erdheim-Chester Disease of the Central Nervous System. American Society of Neuroradiology 49th Annual Meeting, Seattle, Washington, June 4 - 9, 2011, 2011.
- Bodiwala R, Ketonen L, Hou P, Wolff J. Diffusion Tensor Imaging Data Confirm Efficacy of Reradiation Treatment in Pediatric Patients with Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma. American Society of Neuroradiology 49th Annual Meeting, Seattle, Washington, June 4 - 9, 2011, 2011.
- Jensen CT, Ernst R, Chang G, You N, Hou P, Choi H, Rauch GM, Kaur H. Preoperative MRI Staging of Rectal Cancer. American Roentgen Ray Society, ARRS 2011, Chicago, 2011.
- Kaur H, Ernst R, Sagebiel TL, You YN, Hou P, Choi H. Preoperative Staging of Primary Rectal Tumors - Role of Thin Section Multiplanar 2D T2 FSE Imaging, 3D Cube, and Diffusion-Weighted Imaging. RSNA, 96th Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting of the Radiological Society of North America, November 28-December 3, 2010, McCormick Place, Chicago, Illinois, 2010. e-Pub 2010.
- Boonsirikamchai P, Kaur H, Hou P, Underwood ML, Kuban DA, Choi H. A Practical Approach in Detection of Local Recurrence of Prostate Cancer in The Prostatectomy Bed: Use of Slope Images. Annual meeting of American Roentgen Ray Society, San Diego, May 2-7, 2010, 2010.
- Jackson EF, Levin VA, Hou P, Bidaut LM, Bekele BN, Kumar AJ. MR-Based Imaging Biomarkers in the Assessment of Bevacizumab Efficacy in Symptomatic Radiation Necrosis of the Brain. American Society of Neuroradiology 48th Annual Meeting, May 15-20, Boston, Massachusetts, 2010.
- Liu R, Hou P, Bockhorst KH, He R, Narayana PA. Automatic Analysis of Quantitative Cerebral Perfusion in Rodents. Proceedings of the International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (16th ISMRM), Toronto, Canada 16:1881, 2008.
- Nelson FM, Poonawalla AH, Hou P, Wolinsky JS, Narayana PA. 3D MPRAGE (magnetization prepared rapid acquisition with gradient echo) Improves Classification of Cortical Lesions in Multiple Sclerosis. 23rd European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis, Prague, Czech Republic, 2007.
- Hou P, Steinberg JL, Liu R, Moeller FG, Narayana PA. Investigation of Quantitative Cerebral Blood Flow Measurement from Dynamic-Susceptibility Contrast Perfusion MR Imaging on 3T system. 49th American Association Physicists in Medicine annual meeting, Oral presentation, Minneapolis, MN, 2007.
- Poonawalla AH, Hou P, Nelson FM, Mohebbi MR, Wolinsky JS, Narayana PA. MRI of Cervical Spinal Cord Lesions in Multiple Sclerosis with Phase-sensitive T1-weighted Inversion Recovery. RSNA 92nd Scientific Assembly and Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, 2006.
- Nelson FM, Poonawalla AH, Hou P, Huang F, Wolinsky JS, Narayana PA. Improved visualization of Intracortical Lesions in Multiple Sclerosis by Phase-Sensitive Inversion Recovery in Combination with Fast Double Inversion Recovery Magnetic Resonance Imaging. 22nd European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis, Madrid, Spain(639), 2006.
- Hou P, Steinberg JL, Chen DX, Moeller FG, Narayana PA. Asymmetric Spin Echo in fMRI at 3T: A Quantitative Evaluation of BOLD response and Signal Drop Off. 48th American Association Physicists in Medicine annual meeting, Orlando, Florida, 2006.
- De E, Hou P, Azadzoi K, Siroky B, Estrera AL, Sdringola S, Hairston JC, Kramer LA, Graves DE, Wes. Novel Application of Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced Magnetic Resonance Imaging: Pelvic Perfusion any Symptoms Differ in Cardiac Patients Versus Controls. American Urological Association (AUA), Atlanta, Georgia, 2006.
- Hou P, De EJB, Kramer LA, Westney OL. Dynamic contrast-enhanced MRI study of male pelvic perfusion at 3T: Comparison in cardiac and non-cardiac patients. Proceedings of the International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (14th ISMRM), Seattle, WA, 2006.
- Chen D, Zhou W, Hou P, Burton PC, Netsiri. Brain activation to chemical signals. 28th Annual Meeting of Association for Chemoreception Sciences, Sarasota, Florida, 2006.
- Chen D, Zhou W, Meusburger T, Hou P, Burton PC, Netsiri C. fMRI Study of Human Brain Activations to Social and Nonsocial Chemical Stimuli. Society for NeuroScience (NeuroScience 2005), Washington DC, 2005.
- De E, Hou P, Azadzoi K, Siroky MB, Estrera AL, Sdringola S, Hairston JC, Kramer LA, Graves DE, Westney OL. A Novel Application of Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced Magnetic Resonance Imaging: Pelvic Perfusion and Symptom Scores Differ in Cardiac and Non-Cardiac Patients. Sexual Medicine Society of North America (SMSNA 2005), New York, New York, 2005.
- De E, Hou P, Kramer L, Patel C, DeSouza R, Siroky M, Azadzoi K, Estrera A, Stringola S, Hairston J, Westney L. Dynamic Contrast Enhanced Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Pelvic Blood Flow Correlates with Erectile Dysfunction and Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms. International Continence Society (ICS 2005), Montreal, Canada, 2005.
- Hou P, Hasan KM, Sitten CW, Wolinsky JS, Narayana PA. Quantitative Analysis of Contrast Efficiency of Phase Sensitive T1IR and its Primary Applications to Neuroimaging. Proceedings of the International Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (13th ISMRM), South Beam, Miami, FL 13:2811, 2005.
- Hamilton JD, Wang J, Levin VA, Hou P, Loughin ME, Gilbert M, et al. Normalized baseline ADC values predict problems associated with Bevacizumab treatment for glioblastoma multiforme or brain radiation-induced necrosis. RSNA.