About Dr. Preetha Ramalingam
I am a Gynecologic pathologist with over 10 years of experience in this field. I have a special interest in ovarian, cervical and endometrial tumors of the gynecologic tract. I am the Director of the Gynecologic Pathology Fellowship program and have a strong interest in education. I have participated in multiple research projects both with pathology colleagues and trainees, as well as collaborative projects with clinical faculty. I have presented at several national and international conferences on various aspects of gynecologic pathology. I am also a contributor to the 5th Edition of the WHO Classification of Tumors.
Professor, Department of Pathology/Laboratory Medicine, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2002-2003||Clinical Fellowship, Hematopathology, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI|
|2001-2002||Clinical Fellowship, Selective Pathology, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|1999-2001||Clinical Residency, Anatomic & Clinical Pathology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH|
|1997-1999||Clinical Residency, Anatomic & Clinical Pathology, Henry Ford Hospital, Detroit, MI|
|1996-1996||Post Graduate Training, Pathology, Madras Medical College, Chennai|
|1993-1994||Clinical Internship, Medicine, Rajah Muthiah Medical College & Hospital, Chidambaram|
|2003||American Board of Pathology: Hematopathology|
|2002||American Board of Pathology: Anatomic & Clinical Pathology|
Associate Professor, Department of Pathology/Laboratory Medicine, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2011 - 2017
Associate Professor, Department of Pathology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA, 2009 - 2010
Assistant Professor, Department of OB/GYN, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA, 2005 - 2009
Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA, 2004 - 2009
Director of Gynecologic Pathology Fellowship, Department of Pathology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2013 - Present
Residency Program Associate Director, Medical College of Georgia, Augusta, GA, 2005 - 2010
Staff Pathologist, Veterans Affairs Medical Center, Augusta, GA, 2003 - 2006
- Schmeler KM, Pareja R, Lopez Blanco A, Humberto Fregnani J, Lopes A, Perrotta M, Tsunoda AT, Cantú-de-León DF, Ramondetta LM, Manchana T, Crotzer DR, McNally OM, Riege M, Scambia G, Carvajal JM, Di Guilmi J, Rendon GJ, Ramalingam P, Fellman BM, Coleman RL, Frumovitz M, Ramirez PT. ConCerv: a prospective trial of conservative surgery for low-risk early-stage cervical cancer. Int J Gynecol Cancer 31(10):1317-1325, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34493587.
- Lawson BC, Yang RK, Euscher ED, Ramalingam P, Malpica A. TP53 variant allele frequency correlates with the chemotherapy response score in ovarian/fallopian tube/peritoneal high-grade serous carcinoma. Hum Pathol 115:76-83, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34153306.
- Salvo G, Ramalingam P, Bhosale P, Frumovitz M. Early-stage, high-grade neuroendocrine cervical carcinoma. Int J Gynecol Cancer 31(8):1179-1183, 2021. PMID: 34341134.
- Salvo G, Ramalingam P, Flores Legarreta A, Jhingran A, Gonzales NR, Chisholm GB, Frumovitz M. Role of radical hysterectomy in patients with early-stage high-grade neuroendocrine cervical carcinoma: a NeCTuR study. Int J Gynecol Cancer 31(4):495-501, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 33563641.
- Chen PP, Ramalingam P, Alvarado-Cabrero I, Euscher ED, Nagarajan P, Lawson BC, Malpica A. High-grade Neuroendocrine Carcinomas of the Vulva: A Clinicopathologic Study of 16 Cases. Am J Surg Pathol 45(3):304-316, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32826525.
- Silva E, Malpica A, Roma A, Ramalingam P, Kim G, Bakkar R, Loghavi S, Kim S, Shaye-Brown A, Marques-Piubelli ML, Chisholm G, Gershenson DM, Alvarado-Cabrero I. Ovarian Mucinous Neoplasms, Intestinal Type, in Premenopausal Patients, Develop in Abnormal Ovaries. Hum Pathol 108:32-41, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33227313.
- Malpica A, Euscher ED, Marques-Piubelli ML, Ferrufino-Schmidt MC, Miranda RN, Sams R, Royal RE, Raghav KPS, Fournier KF, Ramalingam P. Malignant Mesothelioma of the Peritoneum in Women: A Clinicopathologic Study of 164 Cases. Am J Surg Pathol 45(1):45-58, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32769428.
- Chin KE, Kwon D, Gan Q, Ramalingam PX, Wistuba II, Prieto VG, Aung PP. Transition from a Standard to a Hybrid On-Site and Remote Anatomic Pathology Training Model During the COVID-19 Pandemic. Arch Pathol Lab Med 145(1):22-31, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32937659.
- Carroll MR, Ramalingam P, Salvo G, Fujimoto J, Solis Soto LM, Phoolcharoen N, Hillman RT, Cardnell R, Byers L, Frumovitz M. Evaluation of PARP and PDL-1 as potential therapeutic targets for women with high-grade neuroendocrine carcinomas of the cervix. Int J Gynecol Cancer 30(9):1303-1307, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32727929.
- Fedda FA, Euscher ED, Ramalingam P, Malpica A. Prophylactic Risk-Reducing Hysterectomies and Bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomies in Patients With Lynch Syndrome: A Clinicopathologic Study of 29 Cases and Review of the Literature. Int J Gynecol Pathol 39(4):313-320, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31851061.
- Euscher ED, Bassett R, Duose DY, Lan C, Wistuba I, Ramondetta L, Ramalingam P, Malpica A. Mesonephric-like Carcinoma of the Endometrium: A Subset of Endometrial Carcinoma With an Aggressive Behavior. Am J Surg Pathol 44(4):429-443, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31725471.
- Lawson BC, Euscher ED, Bassett RL, Liu J, Ramalingam P, Zhong Y, Fleming ND, Malpica A. A 3-Tier Chemotherapy Response Score for Ovarian/Fallopian Tube/Peritoneal High-grade Serous Carcinoma: Is it Clinically Relevant?. Am J Surg Pathol 44(2):206-213, 2020. PMID: 31651523.
- Tang Y, Kortum A, Parra SG, Vohra I, Milbourne A, Ramalingam P, Toscano PA, Schmeler KM, Richards-Kortum RR. In vivo imaging of cervical precancer using a low-cost and easy-to-use confocal microendoscope. Biomed Opt Express 11(1):269-280, 2020. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 32010516.
- Hillman RT, Cardnell R, Fujimoto J, Lee WC, Zhang J, Byers LA, Ramalingam P, Leitao M, Swisher E, Futreal PA, Frumovitz M. Comparative genomics of high grade neuroendocrine carcinoma of the cervix. PLoS One 15(6):e0234505, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32544169.
- Gawedzinski J, Schmeler KM, Milbourne A, Ramalingam P, Moghaddam PA, Richards-Kortum R, Tkaczyk TS. Toward development of a large field-of-view cancer screening patch (CASP) to detect cervical intraepithelial neoplasia. Biomed Opt Express 10(12):6145-6159, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31853391.
- Shah JS, Mackelvie M, Gershenson DM, Ramalingam P, Kott MM, Brown J, Gauthier P, Nugent E, Ramondetta LM, Frumovitz M. Accuracy of Intraoperative Frozen Section Diagnosis of Borderline Ovarian Tumors by Hospital Type. J Minim Invasive Gynecol 26(1):87-93, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 29680231.
- Salcedo MP, Sood AK, Dos Reis R, Ramalingam P, Chen C, Frumovitz M, Jhingran A, Pitcher B, Ramirez PT, Schmeler KM. Perineural invasion (PNI) in vulvar carcinoma: A review of 421 cases. Gynecol Oncol 152(1):101-105, 2019. e-Pub 2018. PMID: 30396690.
- Silva EG, Lawson BC, Ramalingam P, Liu J, Shehabeldin A, Marques-Piubelli ML, Malpica A. Precursors in the Ovarian Stroma, Another Pathway to Explain the Origin of Ovarian Serous Neoplasms. Hum Pathol. e-Pub 2022. PMID: 35427637.
- Shen T, Zhao J, Zhao M, Taggart MW, Ramalingam P, Gong Y, Wu Y, Liu H, Zhang J, Resetkova E, Wang WL, Ding Q, Huo L, Yoon E. Unusual Staining of Immunohistochemical Markers PAX8 and CDX2 in Breast Carcinoma: A Potential Diagnostic Pitfall. Hum Pathol. e-Pub 2022. PMID: 35417734.
- Salvo G, Jhingran A, Ramalingam P, Legarreta AF, Bhosale P, Gonzales NR, Chisholm GB, Frumovitz M. Definitive pelvic radiation therapy improves survival in stage IVB neuroendocrine cervical carcinoma: A NeCTuR study. Gynecol Oncol. e-Pub 2022. PMID: 35396134.
- Collins K, Ramalingam P, Euscher ED, Reques Llanos A, García A, Malpica A. Uterine Inflammatory Myofibroblastic Neoplasms With Aggressive Behavior, Including an Epithelioid Inflammatory Myofibroblastic Sarcoma: A Clinicopathologic Study of 9 Cases. Am J Surg Pathol. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34138797.
- Parra SG, López-Orellana LM, Molina Duque AR, Carns JL, Schwarz RA, Smith CA, Ortiz Silvestre M, Diaz Bazan S, Felix JC, Ramalingam P, Castle PE, Cremer ML, Maza M, Schmeler KM, Richards-Kortum RR. Reply to: Comments on Cervical cancer prevention in El Salvador: A prospective evaluation of screening and triage strategies incorporating high-resolution microendoscopy to detect cervical precancer. Int J Cancer. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 33817804.
- Malpica A, Euscher ED, Marques-Piubelli ML, Miranda RN, Fournier KF, Raghav KP, Ramalingam P. Malignant Peritoneal Mesothelioma Associated With Endometriosis: A Clinicopathologic Study of 15 Cases. Int J Gynecol Pathol. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 33577225.
- Kwon DH, Malpica A, Zaleski M, Euscher ED, Ramalingam P. Immunohistochemical Loss of DPC4 in Tumors With Mucinous Differentiation Arising in or Involving the Gynecologic Tract. Int J Gynecol Pathol. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 33405429.
- Abdul Karim L, Yang R, Ramalingam P, Lawson B, Malpica A. Correlation of p53 Immunohistochemical Expression with TP53 Mutation in Extrauterine High-Grade Serous Carcinoma. Modern Pathology 34:639, 2021.
- Collins K, Ramalingam P, Euscher ED, Barroeta J, Alvarado-Cabrero I, Marques-Piubelli M, Lawson B, Malpica A. Uterine PEComas: A Clinicopathologic Study of 46 Cases. Modern Pathology 34:668, 2021.
- Collins K, Ramalingam P, Euscher ED, Malpica A. Uterine Inflammatory Myofibroblastic Tumor with Aggressive Behavior- A Clinicopathologic Study of 8 Cases. Modern Pathology 34:669, 2021.
- Collins K, Ramalingam P, Euscher ED, Vang RS, Shahi M, Chiesa-Vottero A, Garcia A, Reques A, Colon GR, Malpica A. Inflammatory Myofibroblastic Tumor of the Female Genital Tract: A Clinicopathologic Review with Ancillary Testing. Modern Pathology 34:670, 2021.
- Euscher ED, Ramalingam P, Marques-Piubelli M, Lawson B, Rashid A, Malpica A. Comparison of KRAS-Mutated Mesonephric-Like and Non Mesonephric-Like Carcinoma of the Endometrium. Modern Pathology 34:677, 2021.
- Ramalingam P, Euscher ED, Marques-Piubelli M, Malpica A. Evaluation of Pathologic Features in Trachelectomy Specimens and Correlation with Outcomes- A Single Institution Experience. Modern Pathology 34:735, 2021.
- Ramalingam, P, Yang, RK, Lawson BC, Euscher, ED, Malpica, A. Next Generation Sequencing in Peritoneal versus Pleural Mesotheliomas-Commonalities and Differences. Modern Pathology 33(2):1171, 2020.
- Ramalingam, Schmeler K, et al.. ConCerv: A Prospective Trial of Conservative Surgery for Low-Risk Early Stage Cervical Cancer-Assessment of Pathologic Parameters. Modern Pathology 33(2):1170, 2020.
- Chen, P, Euscher ED, Ramalingam P, Lawson, BC, Malpica, A. High-Grade Neuroendocrine Carcinoma of the Vulva:A Clinico-Pathologic Study of 15 Cases. Modern Pathology 33(2):1073, 2020.
- Kwon D, Malpica A, Zaleski MP, Euscher ED, Ramalingam P. DPC4 Loss in Gynecopathology Related Specimens. Modern Pathology 33(2):1137, 2020.
- Lawson B, Yang R, Euscher ED, Ramalingam P, Malpica, A. Chemoptherapy Response Score in Extrauterine High Grade Serous Carcinoma and Association with Mutation Status by Next-Gen Sequencing. Modern Pathology 33(2):1140, 2020.
- Zaleski MP, Malpica A, Kwon D, Euscher, ED, Ramalingam, P. Gastric Type Cervical Adenocarcinoma: The Spectrum of Molecular Alterations and Strong Association with Family History of Cancer. Modern Pathology 33(2):1226, 2020.
- Elizabeth Euscher, Stephen Gruschkus, Roland Bassett, Preetha Ramalingam, Anais Malpica. Low Grade Endometrial Endometrioid Carcinoma Invading into the Outer Myometrium from Tumor Colonized Adenomyosis, Is It Wquivalent to FIGO Stage 1A or 1B Disease?. Modern Pathology 32:1-140, 2019.
- Elizabeth E, Ramalingam, P, Malpica A. Mesonephric-Like Carcinoma of the Endometrium:a Subset of Endometrial Carcinoma Exhibiting Aggressive Behavior. Modern Pathology 32:1-140, 2019.
- Faysal Fedda, Elizabeth Euscher, Preetha Ramalingam, Anais Malpica. Risk-Reducing Surgery in Patients with Lunch Syndrome, A Clinicopathologic Study. Modern Pathology 32:1-140, 2019.
- Anais Malpica1, Elizabeth Euscher1, Preetha Ramalingam. Fumarate Hydratase-Associated Leiomyomas: Morphologic Spectrum and New Insights Tieying Hou1. Modern Pathology 32:1-140, 2019.
- Malpica A, Euscher E, Ramalingam P, Aguilera-Barrantes I, Alvarado-Cabrero I,. Gynecologic Pathology. In: Oncological Surgical Pathology, 2020.
- Ramalingam, P. Serous Neoplasms of the Ovary. In: Gynelogic and Obstetric Pathology. Springer: Singapore, 2019.
|Title:||MD Anderson Gynecologic SPORE for Uterine Cancers|
|Title:||Innovative Approaches to Cervical Cancer Prevention in Mozambican Women Receiving Family Plannins Services|
|Title:||Low-Cost Mobile Colposcopy and Confocal Imaging for Global Prevention of Cervical Cancer|