Associate Professor, Department of Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
I am a practicing pathologist appointed as an Assistant Professor in the section of Genitourinary pathology at MD Anderson Cancer Center. I have subspecialty training and experience in genitourinary pathology and have a specific interest in renal tumors. I have served as a consultant within my section for renal tumors and continue to publish in this field. Over time I have also provided mentorship to residents and fellows and have helped them foster and further their interest in the field of genitourinary pathology. I am also currently collaborating on numerous grants and protocols within the MD Anderson system where I play a key role as a Pathology consultant.
|2007||American Board of Pathology, Anatomic and Clinical Pathology|
|2002||Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, India|
Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2009 - 2016
Chief Resident, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, 2005 - 2006
Associate Chief Resident, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, 2004 - 2005
Pathologists' Assistant, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY, 2003 - 2003
|2008||Nathan B. Friedman Award for outstanding paper by a resident/fellow, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center|
|2008||Finalist: Malaniak Award for excellence in post-doctoral research, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center|
|2008||International Society of Urologic Pathologists, United States and Canadian Academy of Pathology; Excellence in Urologic Pathology for an Abstract Submitted by a Resident or Fellow-USCAP|
|2006||Chairs' Recognition Award for Outstanding Contribution to the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, University of Rochester|
- Msaouel P, Malouf GG, Su X, Yao H, Tripathi DN, Soeung M, Gao J, Rao P, Coarfa C, Creighton CJ, Bertocchio JP, Kunnimalaiyaan S, Multani AS, Blando J, He R, Shapiro DD, Perelli L, Srinivasan S, Carbone F, Pilié PG, Karki M, Seervai RNH, Vokshi BH, Lopez-Terrada D, Cheng EH, Tang X, Lu W, Wistuba II, Thompson TC, Davidson I, Giuliani V, Schlacher K, Carugo A, Heffernan TP, Sharma P, Karam JA, Wood CG, Walker CL, Genovese G, Tannir NM. Comprehensive Molecular Characterization Identifies Distinct Genomic and Immune Hallmarks of Renal Medullary Carcinoma. Cancer Cell 37(5):720-34.e13, 2020. PMID: 32359397.
- Huang T, Cheng X, Chahoud J, Sarhan A, Tamboli P, Rao P, Guo M, Manyam G, Zhang L, Xiang Y, Han L, Shang X, Deng P, Luo Y, Lu X, Feng S, Ferrer MM, Alan Wang Y, DePinho RA, Pettaway CA, Lu X. Effective combinatorial immunotherapy for penile squamous cell carcinoma. Nat Commun 11(1):2124, 2020. PMID: 32358507.
- Collins K, Hwang M, Hamza A, Rao P. Prevalence of high-risk human papillomavirus in primary squamous cell carcinoma of urinary bladder. Pathology - Research and Practice(216):1-4, 2020.
- Lim A, Rao P, Matin SF. Lynch syndrome and urologic malignancies: a contemporary review. Curr Opin Urol 29(4):357-63, 2019. PMID: 31045926.
- Teegavarapu PS, Rao P, Matrana MR, Cauley DH, Wood CG, Patel S, Tannir NM. Outcomes of Adults With Ewing Sarcoma Family of Tumors (ESFT) of the Kidney: A Single-Institution Experience. Am J Clin Oncol 40(2):189-93, 2017. PMID: 25222071.
- Karam JA, Wood CG, Compton ZR, Rao P, Vikram R, Ahrar K, Matin SF. Salvage Surgery After Energy Ablation For Renal Masses. BJU Int 115(1):74-80, 2015. PMID: 24656119.
- Amin MB, Smith SC, Reuter VE, Epstein JI, Grignon DJ, Hansel DE, Lin O, McKenney JK, Montironi R, Paner GP, Al-Ahmadie HA, Algaba F, Ali S, Alvarado-Cabrero I, Bubendorf L, Cheng L, Cheville JC, Kristiansen G, Cote RJ, Delahunt B, Eble JN, Genega EM, Gulmann C, Hartmann A, Langner C, Lopez-Beltran A, Magi-Galluzzi C, Merce J, Netto GJ, Oliva E, Rao P, Ro JY, Srigley JR, Tickoo SK, Tsuzuki T, Umar SA, Van der Kwast T, Young RH, Soloway MS. Update for the practicing pathologist: The International Consultation On Urologic Disease-European association of urology consultation on bladder cancer. Mod Pathol 28(5):612-30, 2015. PMID: 25412849.
- Burch-Smith R, Tannir NM, Resetkova E, Tamboli P, Rao P. Collision tumor of the kidney composed of clear cell carcinoma and collecting duct carcinoma: report of a case with unusual morphology and clinical follow up. Chin J Cancer 33(7):351-5, 2014. PMID: 24589208.
- Paner GP, Annaiah C, Gulmann C, Rao P, Ro JY, Hansel DE, Shen SS, Lopez-Beltran A, Aron M, Luthringer DJ, De Peralta-Venturina M, Cho Y, Amin MB. Immunohistochemical evaluation of novel and traditional markers associated with urothelial differentiation in a spectrum of variants of urothelial carcinoma of the urinary bladder. Hum Pathol 45(7):1473-82, 2014. PMID: 24780825.
- Rao P, Tamboli P, Fillman EP, Meis JM. Primary intra-renal desmoplastic small round cell tumor: Expanding the histologic spectrum, with special emphasis on the differential diagnostic considerations. Pathol Res Pract 210(12):1130-3, 2014. PMID: 24953786.
- Amin MB, Smith SC, Agaimy A, Argani P, Compérat EM, Delahunt B, Epstein JI, Eble JN, Grignon DJ, Hartmann A, Hes O, Hirsch MS, Jimenez RE, Kunju LP, Martignoni G, McKenney JK, Moch H, Montironi R, Paner GP, Rao P, Srigley JR, Tickoo SK, Reuter VE. Collecting duct carcinoma versus renal medullary carcinoma: an appeal for nosologic and biological clarity. Am J Surg Pathol 38(7):871-4, 2014. PMID: 24805860.
- Teegavarapu PS, Rao P, Matrana M, Cauley DH, Wood CG, Tannir NM. Neuroendocrine Tumors of the Kidney: A Single Institution Experience. Clin Genitourin Cancer 12(6):422-7, 2014. PMID: 25088468.
- Rao P, Monzon F, Jonasch E, Matin SF, Tamboli P. Clear cell papillary renal cell carcinoma in patients with von Hippel-Lindau syndrome-clinicopathological features and comparative genomic analysis of 3 cases. Hum Pathol 45(9):1966-72, 2014. PMID: 25081542.
- Amin MB, Smith SC, Eble JN, Rao P, Choi WW, Tamboli P, Young RH. Glandular neoplasms of the urachus: a report of 55 cases emphasizing mucinous cystic tumors with proposed classification. Am J Surg Pathol 38(8):1033-45, 2014. PMID: 25025366.
- Subbiah V, Meric-Bernstam F, Mills GB, Shaw KR, Bailey AM, Rao P, Ward JF, Pagliaro LC. Next generation sequencing analysis of platinum refractory advanced germ cell tumor sensitive to Sunitinib (Sutent ®) a VEGFR2/PDGFRß/c-kit/ FLT3/RET/CSF1R inhibitor in a phase II trial. J Hematol Oncol 7(1):52, 2014. PMID: 25085632.
- Wassal EY, Habra MA, Vicens R, Rao P, Elsayes KM. Ovarian thecal metaplasia of the adrenal gland in association with Beckwith-Wiedemann syndrome. World J Radiol 6(12):919-23, 2014. PMID: 25550997.
- Rao P, Colen RR, Bruner JM, Meis JM. Extraskeletal myxoid chondrosarcoma presenting as an intradural spinal mass: report of a rare clinical presentation with an emphasis on differential diagnostic considerations. Rare Tumors 6(4):5586, 2014. PMID: 25568751.
- Sircar K, Rao P, Jonasch E, Monzon FA, Tamboli P. Contemporary approach to diagnosis and classification of renal cell carcinoma with mixed histologic features. Chin J Cancer 32(6):303-11, 2013. PMID: 23237216.
- Gulmann C, Paner GP, Parakh RS, Hansel DE, Shen SS, Ro JY, Annaiah C, Lopez-Beltran A, Rao P}}b, Arora K, Cho Y, Herrera-Hernandez L, Alsabeh R, Amin MB. Immunohistochemical profile to distinguish urothelial from squamous differentiation in carcinomas of urothelial tract. Hum Pathol 44(2):164-72, 2013. PMID: 22995333.
- Som A, Xiao L, Zhu R, Guo CC, Xiao L, Rao P, Efstathiou E, Matin A, Tu SM. Clinically atypical seminomas with yolk sac tumor features. Can J Urol 20(4):6860-7, 2013. PMID: 23930614.
- Faria E, Turturro F, Rao P, Matin SF. Malignant Epithelioid Angiomyolipoma: Tumor and Metabolic Response to Everolimus as Evaluated With Positron Emission Tomography. Clin Genitourin Cancer 11(4):e1-5, 2013. PMID: 23791549.
- Karam JA, Ahrar K, Vikram R, Romero CA, Jonasch E, Tannir NM, Rao P, Wood CG, Matin SF. Radiofrequency ablation of renal tumours with clinical, radiographical and pathological results. BJU Int 111(6):997-1005, 2013. PMID: 23510233.
- Rao P, Lahat G, Arnold C, Gavino AC, Lahat S, Hornick JL, Lev D, Lazar AJ. Angiosarcoma: a tissue microarray study with diagnostic implications. Am J Dermatopathol 35(4):432-7, 2013. PMID: 23689692.
- Rao P, Tannir NM, Tamboli P. Expression of OCT 3/4 in Renal Medullary Carcinoma represents a potential diagnostic pitfall. Am J Surg Pathol 36(4):583-8, 2012. PMID: 22301499.
- Richey SL, Rao P, Wood CG, Patel S, Tannir NM. Metastatic extraosseous Ewing's sarcoma (EES)/primitive neuroectodermal tumor (PNET) of the kidney: 8-year durable response after induction and maintenance chemotherapy. Clin Genitourin Cancer 10(3):210-2, 2012. PMID: 22503609.
- Colombo C, Bolshakov S, Hajibashi S, Lopez-Terrada L, Wang WL, Rao P, Benjamin RS, Lazar AJ, Lev D. 'Difficult to diagnose' desmoid tumours: a potential role for CTNNB1 mutational analysis. Histopathology 59(2):336-40, 2011. PMID: 21884214.
- Varghese J, Ayala-Ramirez M, Rich T, Rohren E, Rao P, Jimenez C. Novel germline SDHD mutation: diagnosis and implications to the patient. Fam Cancer 10(2):365-71, 2011. PMID: 21318381.
- Matrana MR, Ng C, Rao P, Lim ZD, Tannir NM. Chromophobe renal cell carcinoma with sarcomatoid dedifferentiation treated with pazopanib: a case report. Clin Genitourin Cancer 9(2):137-9, 2011. PMID: 21831725.
- Rao, P, Lopez-Terrada D, Powers MP, Prieto VG. Atypical lipomatous tumor with myxoid change-Differential diagnosis and work-up of myxoid adipocytic tumors of the retroperitoneum. Americal Society of Clinical Pathology, 2010.
- Rao P, Balzer BL, Lemos BD, Liegeois NJ, McNiff JM, Nghiem P, Prieto VG, Smith MT, Smoller BR, Wick MP. Protocol for the examination of specimens from patients with Merkel cell carcinoma of the skin. Arch Pathol Lab Med 134(3):341-4, 2010. PMID: 20196661.
- Brown JG, Folpe AL, Rao P, Lazar AJ, Paner GP, Gupta R, Parakh R, Cheville JC, Amin MB. Primary Vascular Tumors and Tumor-like Lesions of the Kidney: A Clinicopathology Analysis of 25 cases. Am J Surg pathol 34(7):942-9, 2010. PMID: 20534992.
- Rao P, Fuller GN, Prieto VG. Expression of Sox-9 in metastatic melanoma--a potential diagnostic pitfall. Am J Dermatopathol 32(3):262-6, 2010. PMID: 20098296.
- Nigwekar P, Tamboli P, Amin MB, Osunkoya AO, Ben-Dor D, Amin MB. Plasmacytoid urothelial carcinoma: detailed analysis of morphology with clinicopathologic correlation in 17 cases. Am J Surg Pathol 33(3):417-24, 2009. PMID: 19011563.
- Rao, P, Pinheiro N, Franco M, Ra Seong, Costa H, Manzano J, Paner GP, Silva EG, Amin MB. Pseudomyxoma peritonei associated with primary mucinous borderline tumor of the renal pelvicalyceal system. Archives of Pathol Lab Med 133(9):1472-1476, 2009. PMID: 19722758.
- Nigwekar P, Amin MB. The many faces of urothelial carcinoma: an update with an emphasis on recently described variants. Adv Anat Pathol 15(4):218-33, 2008. PMID: 18580098.
- Hoyt K, Castaneda B, Zhang M, Nigwekar P, di Sant'agnese PA, Joseph JV, Strang J, Rubens DJ, Parker KJ. Tissue elasticity properties as biomarkers for prostate cancer. Cancer Biomark 4(4-5):213-25, 2008. PMID: 18957712.
- Zhang M, Nigwekar P, Castaneda B, Hoyt K, Joseph JV, di Sant'Agnese A, Messing EM, Strang JG, Rubens DJ, Parker KJ. Quantitative characterization of viscoelastic properties of human prostate correlated with histology. Ultrasound Med Biol 34(7):1033-42, 2008. PMID: 18258350.
Letters to the Editor
- Rao P and Tamboli P. Do clear cell papillary renal cell carcinomas occur in patients with von Hippel-Lindau disease?-reply. Hum Pathol 46: 341-343, 2014.