About Qiong Gan
I am a board certified cytopathologist, working as an assistant professor in the Department of Pathology at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center (MDACC). I completed my residency training in Pathology at the Mount Sinai Morningside and Mount Sinai West, NY and Surgical Pathology as well as Cytopathology fellowships before I joined the staff at MDACC in 2018. I have also finished my PhD study in Molecular Physiology and Medicine at University of Virginia. I am currently the director of cytopathology fellowship program. My research interests include diagnostic cytology, especially pancreatic and thyroid cytology, and the application of unique cytopathology material such as malignant fluid in cancer research.
Assistant Professor, Department of Pathology, Division of Pathology/Lab Medicine, UT MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2007||University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA, PHD, Molecular Physiology and Biological Physics|
|1999||Wuhan University School of Medicine, Wuhan, CHN, MD, Medicine|
|2017-2018||Clinical Fellowship, Cytopathology, University of Texas at MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2016-2017||Clinical Fellowship, Surgical Pathology, University of Texas at MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2012-2016||Clinical Residency, Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology, St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital- Beth Israel Medical Center, Mount Sinai Health, New York City, NY|
|2018||Cytopathology, The American Board of Pathology|
|2016||Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology, The American Board of Pathology (AP/CP)|
Fellowship Program Director, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2021 - Present
Fellowship Program Associate Director, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2019 - 2021
|2019||Oncologic Pathology Teaching Award|
|2014||USCAP Junior Member Travel Award|
|2009||American Heart Association Fellowship Award|
|1995||Outstanding Medical Student Award|
- Hou T, Liu Z, Gan Q, Debnam JM, Krishnamurthy S. Clinical and cytopathological features of suspected thyroglossal duct cysts and neoplasms arising from them: A large series from a referral cancer center. Cancer Cytopathol 130(1):72-79, 2022. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34529338.
- Hao D, He S, Harada K, Pizzi MP, Lu Y, Guan P, Chen L, Wang R, Zhang S, Sewastjanow-Silva M, Abdelhakeem A, Shanbhag N, Bhutani M, Han G, Lee JH, Zhao S, Weston B, Blum Murphy M, Waters R, Estrella JS, Roy-Chowdhuri S, Gan Q, Lee JS, Peng G, Hanash SM, Calin GA, Song X, Zhang J, Song S, Wang L, Ajani JA. Integrated genomic profiling and modelling for risk stratification in patients with advanced oesophagogastric adenocarcinoma. Gut 70(11):2055-2065, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33334899.
- Chasen NN, Wang JR, Gan Q, Ahmed S. Imaging of Cervical Lymph Nodes in Thyroid Cancer: Ultrasound and Computed Tomography. Neuroimaging Clin N Am 31(3):313-326, 2021. PMID: 34243866.
- Song S, Xu Y, Huo L, Zhao S, Wang R, Li Y, Scott AW, Pizzi MP, Wang Y, Fan Y, Harada K, Jin J, Ma L, Yao X, Shanbhag ND, Gan Q, Roy-Chowdhuri S, Badgwell BD, Wang Z, Wang L, Ajani JA. Patient-derived cell lines and orthotopic mouse model of peritoneal carcinomatosis recapitulate molecular and phenotypic features of human gastric adenocarcinoma. J Exp Clin Cancer Res 40(1):207, 2021. e-Pub 2021. PMID: 34162421.
- Ai D, Yao J, Yang F, Huo L, Chen H, Lu W, Soto LMS, Jiang M, Raso MG, Wang S, Bell D, Liu J, Wang H, Tan D, Torres-Cabala C, Gan Q, Wu Y, Albarracin C, Hung MC, Meric-Bernstam F, Wistuba II, Prieto VG, Sahin AA, Ding Q. TRPS1: a highly sensitive and specific marker for breast carcinoma, especially for triple-negative breast cancer. Mod Pathol 34(4):710-719, 2021. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 33011748.
- Chin KE, Kwon D, Gan Q, Ramalingam PX, Wistuba II, Prieto VG, Aung PP. Transition From a Standard to a Hybrid On-Site and Remote Anatomic Pathology Training Model During the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) Pandemic. Arch Pathol Lab Med 145(1):22-31, 2021. PMID: 32937659.
- Porteus C, Gan Q, Gong Y, Pantanowitz L, Henderson-Jackson E, Saeed-Vafa D, Mela N, Peterson D, Ahmad N, Ahmed A, Bui M. Sclerosing epithelioid fibrosarcoma: cytologic characterization with histologic, immunohistologic, molecular, and clinical correlation of 8 cases. J Am Soc Cytopathol 9(6):513-519, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32624384.
- Hou T, Gan Q, Joseph CT, Sun X, Gong Y. Insulinoma-associated protein 1 immunostaining for various types of neuroendocrine tumors on FNA smears. Cancer Cytopathol 128(10):725-732, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32573984.
- Hou T, Stewart JM, Lee JH, Gan Q. Solid Tumor Metastases to the Pancreas Diagnosed Using Fine-Needle Aspiration. Am J Clin Pathol 154(5):692-699, 2020. PMID: 32651950.
- Gan Q, Roy-Chowdhuri S. Small but powerful: the promising role of small specimens for biomarker testing. J Am Soc Cytopathol 9(5):450-460, 2020. e-Pub 2020. PMID: 32507626.
- Gan Q, Edeiken BS, Chen MM, Grubbs EG, Busaidy NL, Zafereo M, Perrier ND, Gule-Monroe MD, Krishnamurthy S. Utility of subcategorization of atypia of undetermined significance/follicular lesion of undetermined significance category in ultrasound-guided thyroid fine-needle aspiration in a large referral cancer center. J Am Soc Cytopathol 8(6):309-316, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31526696.
- Gan Q, Stewart JM, Valik E, Eapen G, Caraway NP. Cytologic Evaluation of Positron Emission Tomography-Computed Tomography-Positive Lymph Nodes Sampled by Endobronchial Ultrasound-Guided Transbronchial Needle Aspiration: Experience at a Large Cancer Center. Arch Pathol Lab Med 143(10):1265-1270, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31063012.
- Gan Q, Joseph CT, Guo M, Zhang M, Sun X, Gong Y. Utility of NKX3.1 Immunostaining in the Detection of Metastatic Prostatic Carcinoma on Fine-Needle Aspiration Smears. Am J Clin Pathol 152(4):495-501, 2019. PMID: 31175351.
- Gan Q, Crumley S, Broaddus RR. Molecular Modifiers of Hormone Receptor Action: Decreased Androgen Receptor Expression in Mismatch Repair Deficient Endometrial Endometrioid Adenocarcinoma. Int J Gynecol Pathol 38(1):44-51, 2019. PMID: 29210800.
- Eppelheimer CN, Marti JL, Eisenberg A, Gan Q, Shabalova R, Cohen JM, Fulop T. A Case of Secondary Angiosarcoma of the Breast after Breast-conserving Surgery and Radiation: Review of Radiologic and Pathologic Findings. J Clin Imaging Sci 5:45, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26430538.
- Buono KD, Vadlamuri D, Gan Q, Levison SW. Leukemia inhibitory factor is essential for subventricular zone neural stem cell and progenitor homeostasis as revealed by a novel flow cytometric analysis. Dev Neurosci 34(5):449-62, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23258129.
- Gan Q, Thiébaud P, Thézé N, Jin L, Xu G, Grant P, Owens GK. WD repeat-containing protein 5, a ubiquitously expressed histone methyltransferase adaptor protein, regulates smooth muscle cell-selective gene activation through interaction with pituitary homeobox 2. J Biol Chem 286(24):21853-64, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21531708.
- Jin L, Gan Q, Zieba BJ, Goicoechea SM, Owens GK, Otey CA, Somlyo AV. The actin associated protein palladin is important for the early smooth muscle cell differentiation. PLoS One 5(9):e12823, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20877641.
- Yoshida T, Gan Q, Franke AS, Ho R, Zhang J, Chen YE, Hayashi M, Majesky MW, Somlyo AV, Owens GK. Smooth and cardiac muscle-selective knock-out of Kruppel-like factor 4 causes postnatal death and growth retardation. J Biol Chem 285(27):21175-84, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20439457.
- Deaton RA, Gan Q, Owens GK. Sp1-dependent activation of KLF4 is required for PDGF-BB-induced phenotypic modulation of smooth muscle. Am J Physiol Heart Circ Physiol 296(4):H1027-37, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19168719.
- Cherepanova OA, Pidkovka NA, Sarmento OF, Yoshida T, Gan Q, Adiguzel E, Bendeck MP, Berliner J, Leitinger N, Owens GK. Oxidized phospholipids induce type VIII collagen expression and vascular smooth muscle cell migration. Circ Res 104(5):609-18, 2009. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19168440.
- Yoshida T, Gan Q, Owens GK. Kruppel-like factor 4, Elk-1, and histone deacetylases cooperatively suppress smooth muscle cell differentiation markers in response to oxidized phospholipids. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 295(5):C1175-82, 2008. e-Pub 2008. PMID: 18768922.
- Gan Q, Yoshida T, Li J, Owens GK. Smooth muscle cells and myofibroblasts use distinct transcriptional mechanisms for smooth muscle alpha-actin expression. Circ Res 101(9):883-92, 2007. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17823374.
- Yoshida T, Gan Q, Shang Y, Owens GK. Platelet-derived growth factor-BB represses smooth muscle cell marker genes via changes in binding of MKL factors and histone deacetylases to their promoters. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 292(2):C886-95, 2007. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 16987998.
- Gan Q, Yoshida T, McDonald OG, Owens GK. Concise review: epigenetic mechanisms contribute to pluripotency and cell lineage determination of embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells 25(1):2-9, 2007. e-Pub 2006. PMID: 17023513.
|Funding Source:||MDACC Department of Pathology|
|Title:||Comparison of Insulinoma-associated Protein 1 (INSM1) with Other Neuroendocrine Markers in Different Type and Grade of Neuroendocrine Tumors Using Fine-Needle Aspiration Material|
|Funding Source:||MDACC Department of Pathology, Mentor Research Fund Award|
|Title:||Evaluation of Bronchoalveolar Lavage Cytology in COVID-19 Patients and Identification of Cell Types Infected by the Virus|
|Funding Source:||DPLM Fellows Research Grant&Award|
|Title:||Comparison of TRPS1 with GATA-3 Immunostaining Using Fine-Needle Aspiration Material|
|Funding Source:||MDACC Department of Pathology, Mentor Research Fund Award|