Present Title & Affiliation
Assistant Professor, Department of Plastic Surgery - Research, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Soft Tissue Engineering
Engineered skin or muscle construct provide great promise to replace autologous soft tissue for reconstruction. We have developed 3D porous matrix scaffold to make cell/matrix construct for wound healing and muscle regeneration. Ongoing project s on our laboratory focus on adult stem cell differentiation depends on specific microenvironment (stem cell niche).
Reconstruction of large circumferential tracheal defects remains a significant clinical problem. Methods of reconstruction have evolved from simple implantation of prosthetic materials to autologous soft tissue flaps with supporting materials. However, none of them are ideal substitutes for the native trachea. Our effort on tracheal reconstruction study ranges from tracheal allograft to neo-tracheal engineering with 3D matrix scaffold.
Molecular and Cellular basis of Lymphedema
Breast cancer related lymphedema is a chronic, progressive, and often debilitating condition. Better diagnosis and treatment for this difficult clinical problem depend on well understanding of molecular and cellular basis of BCRL. The study we are working on is analyzing for BCRL endothelial cells, which will provide insights into BCRL pathophysiological process in molecular and cellular level.
Education & Training
|2003||Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences (CAMS) & Peking Union Medical College, Bejing, CHN, PHD, Plastic Surgery|
|1994||Nanjing Medical University, Nanjing, CHN, MD, Medicine|
|2009-2010||Postdoctoral Fellow, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2004-2009||Postdoctoral Fellow, The University io Texas Medical Branch, Division of Plastic Surgery, Galveston, TX|
|1999-2001||Clinical Residency, Plastic Surgery, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences (CAMS) & Peking Union Medical College, Bejing|
|1996-1998||Clinical Residency, Orthopedic, Hand, and Microsurgery, Shengli Central Hospital & Binzhou Medical College, Shandong|
|1994-1996||Clinical Residency, General Surgery, Shengli Central Hospital & Binzhou Medical College, Shandong|
|2004||Board of Chinese Society of Aesthetic Surgeons|
|1999||Board of Chinese Society of Plastic Surgeons|
Experience & Service
Director and Associate Professor, Department of Plastic Surgery, EverCare Medical Institute, Bejing, 2003 - 2004
Research Associate, Department of Medical Molecular and Cellular Medicine, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, 2001 - 2001
Assistant Professor, Department of Orthopedic, Shengli Central Hospital & Binzhou Medical College, Shandong, 1998 - 1999
Honors & Awards
|2004||Panel Specialist in Plastic Surgery, Health Program, Beijing TV, China|
|2004||Specialist Committee, Plastic and Aesthetic Surgery, Ever-Care Medical Institute, Beijing, China|
|2002||Excellence in Research Essay Award, 1st Science Annual Meeting, Plastic Surgery Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences (CAMS) & Peking Union Medical College (PUMC), Beijing, China|
|2002||Excellent Graduate Award, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences (CAMS) & Peking Union Medical College (PUMC), Beijing, China,|
- Zhang Q, Johnson JA, Dunne LW, Chen Y, Iyyanki T, Wu Y, Chang EI, Branch-Brooks CD, Robb GL, Butler CE. Decellularized skin/adipose tissue flap matrix for engineering vascularized composite soft tissue flaps. Acta Biomater 35:166-84, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 26876876.
- Zhang Q, Hubenak J, Iyyanki T, Alred E, Turza KC, Davis G, Chang EI, Branch-Brooks CD, Beahm EK, Butler CE. Engineering vascularized soft tissue flaps in an animal model using human adipose-derived stem cells and VEGF+PLGA/PEG microspheres on a collagen-chitosan scaffold with a flow-through vascular pedicle. Biomaterials 73:198-213, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26410787.
- Iyyanki T, Hubenak J, Liu J, Chang EI, Beahm EK, Zhang Q. Harvesting technique affects adipose-derived stem cell yield. Aesthet Surg J 35(4):467-76, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 25791999.
- Iyyanki TS, Dunne LW, Zhang Q, Hubenak J, Turza KC, Butler CE. Adipose-derived stem-cell-seeded non-cross-linked porcine acellular dermal matrix increases cellular infiltration, vascular infiltration, and mechanical strength of ventral hernia repairs. Tissue Eng Part A 21(3-4):475-85, 2015. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 25156009.
- Dunne LW, Huang Z, Meng W, Fan X, Zhang N, Zhang Q, An Z. Human decellularized adipose tissue scaffold as a model for breast cancer cell growth and drug treatments. Biomaterials 35(18):4940-9, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24661550.
- Zhang Q, Gould LJ. Hyperbaric oxygen reduces matrix metalloproteinases in ischemic wounds through a redox-dependent mechanism. J Invest Dermatol 134(1):237-46, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23867894.
- Wang L, Johnson JA, Zhang Q, Beahm EK. Combining decellularized human adipose tissue extracellular matrix and adipose-derived stem cells for adipose tissue engineering. Acta Biomater 9(11):8921-31, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23816649.
- Zang M, Zhang Q, Chang EI, Mathur AB, Yu P. Decellularized tracheal matrix scaffold for tracheal tissue engineering: in vivo host response. Plast Reconstr Surg 132(4):549e-59e, 2013. PMID: 24076702.
- Hubenak JR, Zhang QX, Branch CD, Kronowitz SJ. Tissue injury following radiotherapy: a review of the biochemistry and mechanism of DNA damage and DNA repair, part II. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 133, 2013.
- Wang L, Johnson JA, Chang DW, Zhang Q. Decellularized musculofascial extracellular matrix for tissue engineering. Biomaterials 11(34):2641-54, 2013. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 23347834.
- Zang M, Zhang Q, Chang EI, Mathur AB, Yu P. Decellularized tracheal matrix scaffold for tissue engineering. Plast Reconstr Surg 130(3):532-40, 2012. PMID: 22929238.
- Huang WG, Liu D, Robb GL, Zhang QX. Distally based dorsal pedal neurocutaneous flap for distal foot coverage. Annals of Plastic Surgery 66:235-40, 2011.
- Gupta V, Mun GH, Choi B, Aseh A, Lopez M, Patel A, Zhang QX, Price JE, Chang D, Robb G, Mathur AB. Repair and Reconstruction of a Resected Turmor Defect using a Composite of Tissue Flap-Nanotherapeutic-Silk fibroin and Chitosan Scaffold. Annals of Biomedical Engineering 39:2374-87, 2011.
- Zang M, Zhang QX, Davis G, Huang G, Jaffari M, Rios CN, Gupta V, Yu P, Mathur AB. Perichondrium Directed Cartilage Formation in Silk Fibroin and Chitosan Blend Scaffolds for Tracheal Transplantation. Acta Biomaterialia 7:3422-31, 2011.
- Zhang QX, Qiao Q, Zhou G, Robb GL. Anterolateral adipofascial flap for correction of facial contour deformities and micromastia. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery 26:341-345, 2010. e-Pub 2010.
- Zhang QX, Qiao Q, Yang X, Wang H, Robb GL, Zhou G. Clinical application of the anterolateral thigh flap for soft tissue reconstruction. Journal of Reconstructive Microsurgery(26):87-94, 2010.
- Zhang QX, Qiao Q, Myers W, Gould LJ, Phillips LG. Study of neural and vascular anatomy of anterolateral thigh flap. Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery(63):365-71, 2010.
- Zhang QX, Chang Q, Cox RA, Gong XM, Gould LJ. Hyperbaric oxygen Attenuates apoptosis and decreases inflammation in an ischemic wound model. Journal of Investigative Dermatology(128):2002-2012, 2008.
- Irwin C, Synn A, Krasis L, Zhang QX, Griffen MM, Hunter GC. Metalloproteinase expression in venous aneurysms. Journal of Vascular Surgery(48):1278-1285, 2008.
- Zhang QX, Chang Q, Gould LJ. Hyperbaric Oxygen Reduces Inflammation in Ischemic Wounds Through Down-Regulation of VEGF/KDR Pathway. Journal of Surgical Research 144(2):254-255, 2008.
- Zhang QX, Zhou G. Research on hyperacute rejection of xenotransplantation. Chinese J Plastic Surgery 22(6):468-471, 2006.
- Zhang QX, Zhou G, Wang CM, Lv FD, Liang YP, Zhang ZC. Experimental research of discordant tracheal xenotransplantation. Chinese J Plastic Surgery 22(4):309-313, 2006.
- Zhang QX, Qiao Q, Chen GY, Zhou G, Sun GS, Cui ZL. Clinics application of the anterolateral thigh flap in 112 patients. Chinese J Reparative and Reconstructive Surgery 20(5):540-544, 2006.
- Zhang QX, Chang Q, Gould LJ. Attenuation of apoptosis by hyperbaric oxygen in a rat ischemic wound model. Wound Repair and Regeneration 14(2):A89, 2006.
- Zhou G, Zhang QX, Chen GY. The Earlier Clinic Experience of the Reverse-Flow Anterolateral Thigh Island Flap. British Journal of Plastic Surgery 58:160-164, 2005.
- Wang CM, Hiko H, Zhang QX. Pathological genomics of keloid fibroblastic cells. Chinese J Plastic Surgery 21(4):299-301, 2005.
- Zhang QX, Zhou G, Lu JY, Liu ZH. Construction and expression of basic fibroblast growth factor mammalian expression vector. Chinese J Reparative and Reconstructive Surgery 18(5):435-439, 2004.
- Zhang QX, Zhou G, Wang CM, Zhou AR. Experimental research of promoting revascularization of tracheal transplantation by gene therapy. Chinese J Surgery 42(10):622-626, 2004.
- Zhang QX, Qiao Q, Zhou G. Basic study and clinical application of neurocutaneous vascular flap. Chinese J Plastic Surgery 20(1):63-65, 2004.
- Zhang QX, Qiao Q, Liu ZF. Experience in dealing with children extremity scar construction deformity. Chinese J Plastic Surgery 19(5):397-398, 2003.
- Li HD, Li BB, Zhang QX, Li TY, Chen GY. Experience in dealing with complications of tissue expanders. Chinese J Clinical Rehabilitation 7(20):2842-2843, 2003.
- Zhang QX, Qiao Q, Chen ZJ, Zhao ZH, Yan YP, Yin FY, Wang YR. Anatomic study and clinical value of anterior and lateral thigh neurocutaneous vascular flap. Chinese J Clinical Anatomy 21(2):102-105, 2003.
- Zhang QX, Qiao Q, Liu ZF. Small skin flaps applications in facial plasty. Chinese J Reparative and Reconstructive Surgery 17(1):78, 2003.
- Zhao Y, Qiao Q, Liu Z, Zhang QX. Alternative method to improve the repair of the donor site of the anterolateral thigh flap. Ann Plast Surg 49(6):593-598, 2002.
- Zhang QX, Liu D, Qiao Q. Thumb palm reconstruction with the second plantar free skin flap. Chinese J Plastic Surgery 18(6):383, 2002.
- Liu ZF, Qiao Q, Zhang QX. Repair of larger facial defect with an expanded clavicular-pectoral skin flap. Chinese J Plastic Surgery 18(6):330-332, 2002.
- Zhang QX, Qiao Q, Chen GY, Teng L, Liu C, Zhou G. Three-dimensional observation of the vasculature in the anterolateral thigh adipofascial. Chinese J Plastic Surgery 18(4):200-203, 2002.
- Zhang QX, Qiao Q, Liu ZF, Liu D, Chen ZJ. Reconstruction of the palm defects of the thumb. Chinese J Microsurgery. Chinese J Microsurgery 25(2):106-107, 2002.
- Chen GY, Zhang QX, Zhou G. Clinic experience of reverse-flow anterolateral thigh island flap. Chinese J Plastic Surgery(Supplement 1):65-67, 2002.
- Sun GS, Zhang QX, Liu B. Mucoid ostechondrofibroma. China J of Orthopaedics and Traumatology 14(6):379-380, 2001.
- Sun GS, Liu B, Zhang QX, Ding LX. Bone cyst side by the joint. China J of Orthopaedics and Traumatology(12):8, 2000.
- Sun GS, Liu B,Zhang QX, Song Q. Intraspinal osteochondroma. Medical Journal of Trauma and Disability 7(1):61, 1999.
- Johnson JA, Wang L, Chang DW, Zhang QX. Decellularized muscle matrix for soft tissue repair and regeneration. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 131:151, 2013.
- Wang L, Johnson J, Zhang QX, Beahm E. Decellularized human adipose tissue for soft tissue engineering. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 131:150, 2013.
- Zeng N, Zang M, Wang L, Yu P, Zhang QX. Tracheal engineering with cryopreserved tracheal allograft scaffold. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, 2013.
- Wang LN, Johnson JA, Iyyanki T, Butler CE, Chang DW, Zhang QX. Decellularized skeletal muscle matrix as a human adipose-derived stem cells carrier for would healing. Wound Repair and Regeneration 2(A44):20, 2012.
- Wang LN, Johnson JA, Iyyanki T, Butler CE, Chang DW, Zhang QX. Decellularized skeletal muscle matrix as a platform for soft tissue engineering. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 97:130, 2012.
- Wang LN, Zhang QX, Hubenak J, Iyyanki TS, Butler CE, Mathur AB. Silk fibroin-decorin scaffold for ventral hernia repair. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 29:130, 2012.
- Zhang QX, Zang M, Sacks JM, Robb G, Yu P. Alloantigen-Pulsed Host Dendritic Cells Prolong Allograft Survival in A Rat Model of Heterotopic Tracheal Allotransplantation Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 97:127, 2011.
- Zhang QX, Zang M, Gao J, Zhou G, Robb GL, Yu PR. The Immunomodulatory effect of cryopreservation and stem cell therapy in rat tracheal allotransplantation. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery 125(65):36, 2010.
- Zhang QX, Gould LJ, Phillips LG. A novel ischemia wound model in aged rat. Wound Repair and Regeneration 17(2):A45, 2009.
- Zhang QX, Myers W, Cox RA, Hunter GC, Phillips LG. Bevacizumab reduces intimal hyperplasia through inhibition of VEGF/PI3K/Akt pathway in a vein graft model. Plastic and reconstructive surgery 121(65):55, 2008.
- Zhang QX, Gould LJ. Ischemia results in a differential response to oxidative stress in young and old. Wound Repair and Regeneration 16(2):A29, 2008.
- Zhang QX, Chang Q, Myers W, Gould LJ. Hyperbaric oxygen protect against oxidative damage through down-regulation MAPK signal transduction by suppressing reactive oxygen species in ischemic wound. Wound Repair and Regeneration 15(2):A23, 2007.
- Myers W, Gugala Z, Zhang QX, Gould LJ. The effect of age on fibroblast response to thapsigargin induced endoplasmic reticulum stress. Wound Repair and Regeneration 15(2):A18, 2007.
- Zhang QX, Chang Q, Gould LJ. Hyperbaric oxygen protects against oxidative stress in an ischemic wound model. Journal of the American College of Surgeons 203(3):S56, 2006.
- Zhang QX, Chang Q, Gould LJ. Mechanism of hyperbaric oxygen on ischemic tissue healing. Journal of the American College of Surgeons 201(3):S58, 2005.
- Zhang QX. In: Operative Plastic Surgery. 1st translated edition. People’s Medical Publishing House, 2013.
- Qiao Q, Zhang QX. In: Congenital Malformation, Trunk Cosmetic, and Burn Deformity Serials. 1st. Chinese Women Publishing House, 2001.
Grant & Contract Support
|Title:||Genomic analysis of breast cancer related lymphedema|
|Funding Source:||Plastic Surgery Department Fund, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|
|Title:||Engineering vascularized bioscaffold for soft tissue defect repair and regeneration|
|Funding Source:||Plastic Surgery Department Fund, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center|