About Dr. Nguyen
My clinical research efforts have combined both my interests in technology and value based outcomes to answer important clinical questions to continually improve patient care. My training and experience in advanced technology including stereotactic body radiation therapy for prostate cancer, pulmonary metastases, liver metastases, adrenal metastases and osseous metastases have allowed me to focus my research interests in evaluating the optimal dose fractionation and SBRT techniques for improved clinical outcomes. I am also involved in particle therapy research reporting the long term outcomes for patients treated with proton therapy for thoracic and base of skull tumors. My goal is to continue opening prospective clinical trials involving advanced technology to effectively improve patient outcomes.
Associate Professor, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
Assistant Professor, Division of Radiation Oncology, Keck School of Medicine of University, Los Angeles, CA
|2001||The George Washington University School of Medicine, Washington, DC, USA, MD, Medicine|
|1997||University of California at Irvine, Irvine, CA, USA, BS, Biological Sciences|
|2007-2008||Proton Radiotherapy and Stereotactic Radiosurgery Fellowship-PGY6, Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2004-2004||Proton Radiation Therapy Rotation, Department of Radiation Oncology, The Loma Linda University Medical Center, Loma Linda, CA|
|2003-2003||Pediatric Rotation, Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX|
|2003-2007||Clinical Residency, Department of Radiation Oncology, The University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA|
|2002-2003||Research Fellowship, Department of Pathology, The University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA|
|2001-2002||Clinical Internship, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, The Loma Linda University Medical Center, Loma Linda, CA|
|2008||The American Board of Radiology|
Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, Division of Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, 2008 - 2012
Institutional Committee Activities
Committtee Member, Oncology Expert advisory Committe (OEA), Lung MRTX, 2014 - Present
Fellowship Interview Committe, Department Radiation Oncology, 2014 - Present
Director, Director of Medical Student Clerkship at the University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, 2012 - 2012
Principle Investigator, RTOG Institution Principle Investigator at the University of Southern California Keck/Norris Cancer Center, 2012 - 2012
|2013||Resident Teaching Award, USC Keck Norris Cancer Center/LA County Hospital|
|2001||Kane-King-Dodek Obstetrical Honor Society, The George Washington University School of Medicine|
|1994||Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society, The University of California at Irvine|
|1992||Irvine Women's Club Scholarship, The University of California at Irvine|
|1990||Golden Key Honor Society, The University of California at Irvine|
- Thomas J. Pugh, Seungtaek Choi, Graciela M. Nogueras-Gonzalaez, Quyhn Nhu Nguyen, Usama Mahmood, Steven J. Frank,Benson Mathai, X. Ron Zhu, Narayan Sahoo, Michael Gillin, Deborah A. Kuban, Karen E. Hoffman, Sean E. McGuire, and Andrew K. Lee. Proton Beam Therapy for Localized Prostate Cancer: Results from a Prospective Quality-of-Life Trial. International Journal of Particle Therapy 3(1):27-36, 2016.
- McGuire SE, Lee AK, Cerne JZ, Munsell MF, Levy LB, Kudchadker RJ, Choi SL, Nguyen QN, Hoffman KE, Pugh TJ, Frank SJ, Corn PG, Logothetis CJ, Kuban DA. PSA Response to Neoadjuvant Androgen Deprivation Therapy Is a Strong Independent Predictor of Survival in High-Risk Prostate Cancer in the Dose-Escalated Radiation Therapy Era. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 85(1):e39-46, 2013. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 23102837.
- Bian SX, Kuban DA, Levy LB, Oh J, Castle KO, Pugh TJ, Choi S, McGuire SE, Nguyen QN, Frank SJ, Nguyen PL, Lee AK, Hoffman KE. Addition of short-term androgen deprivation therapy to dose-escalated radiation therapy improves failure-free survival for select men with intermediate-risk prostate cancer. Ann Oncol 23(9):2346-52, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22357249.
- Vassiliev ON, Kudchadker RJ, Kuban DA, Frank SJ, Choi S, Nguyen Q, Lee AK. Dosimetric impact of fiducial markers in patients undergoing photon beam radiation therapy. Phys Med 28(3):240-4, 2012. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21875820.
- Kim MM, Hoffman KE, Levy LB, Frank SJ, Pugh TJ, Choi S, Nguyen QN, McGuire SE, Lee AK, Kuban DA. Prostate cancer-specific mortality after definitive radiation therapy: who dies of disease?. Eur J Cancer 48(11):1664-71, 2012. e-Pub 2012. PMID: 22336663.
- Kim MM, Hoffman KE, Levy LB, Frank SJ, Pugh TJ, Choi S, Nguyen QN, McGuire SE, Lee AK, Kuban DA. Improvement in prostate cancer survival over time: a 20-year analysis. Cancer J 18(1):1-8, 2012. PMID: 22290249.
- Zhu XR, Poenisch F, Song X, Johnson JL, Ciangaru G, Taylor MB, Lii M, Martin C, Arjomandy B, Lee AK, Choi S, Nguyen QN, Gillin MT, Sahoo N. Patient-Specific Quality Assurance for Prostate Cancer Patients Receiving Spot Scanning Proton Therapy Using Single-Field Uniform Dose. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 81(2):552-9, 2011. e-Pub 2011. PMID: 21300457.
- Nguyen QN, Shiu AS, Rhines LD, Wang H, Allen PK, Wang XS, Chang EL. Management of Spinal Metastases from Renal Cell Carcinoma Using Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 76(4):1185-92, 2010. e-Pub 2009. PMID: 19632064.
- Nguyen QN, Chang EL, Allen PK, Maor MH, Ater JL, Mahajan A, Wolff JE, Weinberg JS, Woo SY. Focal and craniospinal irradiation for patients with intracranial germinoma and patterns of failure. Cancer 107(9):2228-36, 2006. PMID: 17019739.
- 2. Crane CH, Abbruzzese JL, Evans DB, Wolff RA, Ballo MT, Delclos M, Milas L, Mason K, Charnsangavej C, Pisters PW, Lee JE, Lenzi R, Vauthey JN, Wong AB, Phan T, Nguyen Q, and Janjan NA. Is the therapeutic index better with gemcitabine-based chemoradiation than with 5-FU-based chemoradiation in locally advanced pancreatic cancer?. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 52(5):1293-1302, 2002.
- Crane CH, Janjan NA, Evans DB, Wolff RA, Ballo MT, Milas L, Mason K, Charnsangavej C, Pisters PWT, Lee JE, Lenzi R, Vauthey NJ, Wong A, Phan T, Nguyen Q, Abbruzzese JL.. Toxicity and efficacy of concurrent gemcitabine and radiotherapy for locally advanced pancreatic cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 29(1):9-18, 2001.
- Sharp HJ, Swanson D, Pugh TJ, Kudchadker R, Kuban DA, Lee AK, Choi S, Nguyen Q, Hoffman K, McGuire S, Frank SJ. Screening colonoscopy before prostate cancer treatment can detect colorectal cancers in asymptomatic patients and reduce the rate of complications after brachytherapy. Practical Radiation Oncology 2(3):e7-e13. e-Pub 2012.
- Meyer J, Bluett J, Amos R, Levy L, Choi S, Nguyen QN, Zhu XR, Gillin M, Lee A. Spot Scanning Proton Beam Therapy for Prostate Cancer: Treatment Planning Technique and Analysis of Consequences of Rotational and Translational Alignment Errors. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 20100641.
- Darus CJ, Callahan MB, Nguyen QN, Pastore LM, Schneider BF, Rice LW, Jazaeri AA. Chemoradiation with and without adjuvant extrafascial hysterectomy for IB2 cervical carcinoma. Int J Gynecol Cancer 18(4):730-5. e-Pub 2007. PMID: 17949426.
- Nguyen Q, Choi S, Lee AK. Proton Therapy for the Treatment of Prostate Cancer. Prostate Cancer, 2011.
- Nguyen QN, Chang EL. Emerging role of proton beam radiation therapy for chordoma and chondrosarcoma of the skull base. Curr Oncol Rep 10(4):338-43, 2008. PMID: 18778560.
- Nguyen Q, Chang ELC.. Advances in Treating Renal Cell Carcinoma. Duke CME Journal 1(3), 2008.
- Nguyen QN Long-term Outcome for Inoperable NSCLC patients treated with Dose Escalated Definitive Proton Therapy with Chemotherapy. PTCOG, 2014.
- Blanchard P, Davis JW, Frank SJ, Jeri K, Pettaway CA, Pugh TJ, Pisters LL, Mahmood U, Ward JF, Choi S, Chapin BF, Hoffman KE, Navai N, McGuire SE, Matin SF, Nguyen QN, Thaker NG, Chen HC, Wang X, Kuban DA. How to Counsel Patients With Localized Prostate Cancer About Treatment Selection: Quality-of-Life Results of a Prospective Single-Institution Cohort. International Journal of Radiation Oncology Biology Physics 96(2S):E534-E535, 2016. PMID: 27674949.