About Ravi Rajaram
Ravi Rajaram, MD MSC, is currently an Assistant Professor in the Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular surgery. Dr. Rajaram completed his undergraduate degree in Biology and Economics at Washington University in St. Louis, after which he earned his medical degree at Vanderbilt University School of Medicine. He subsequently completed his internship and residency training in General Surgery at the McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University in Chicago, IL. During his residency, Dr. Rajaram completed 2 years of dedicated research, serving as an American College of Surgeons Clinical Scholar-in-Residence (2013-2015) and the American College of Surgeons Surgical Oncology Scholar (2013-2015). He also completed a postdoctoral fellowship on a T32 Health Services Research Integrated Training Program between the University of Chicago and Northwestern University. During these fellowships, Dr. Rajaram earned a Master’s degree in Health Services and Outcomes Research at Northwestern University. He additionally served as Administrative Chief Resident in General Surgery. Following his residency training, Dr. Rajaram completed a fellowship in Cardiothoracic Surgery at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center / Memorial Hermann, with a clinical focus in the General Thoracic track.
Dr. Rajaram has a particular interest in thoracic surgical oncology and is focused on providing evidence-based, multidisciplinary care to his patients. His clinical interests include lung and esophageal cancer as well as mediastinal tumors. Dr. Rajaram is particularly interested in utilizing minimally-invasive approaches to care, including robotic surgery, and continues to engage in clinical and health services research as a faculty member.
Assistant Professor, Department of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery, Division of Surgery, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
|2015||Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, USA, MSc, Health Services and Outcomes Research|
|2010||Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, Nashville, TN, USA, MD, Medicine|
|2005||Washington University in St. Louis, St. Louis, MO, USA, BA, Biology and Economics|
|2017-2019||Clinical Fellowship, Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center , Houston, TX|
|2016-2017||Administrative Chief Resident, General Surgery, McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University, Chicago, IL|
|2013-2015||Research Fellowship, American College of Surgeons Clinical Scholar-in-Residence, Chicago, IL|
|2013-2015||Research Fellowship, American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer Surgical Oncology Scholar, Chicago, IL|
|2013-2015||Postdoctoral Fellow, Integrated Postdoctoral Health Services Research Training Program, University of Chicago & Northwestern University, Chicago, IL|
|2010-2017||Clinical Residency, General Surgery, McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University, Chicago, IL|
|2018||American Board of Surgery|
|2018||AATS Foundation Surgical Robotics Fellowship Recipient|
|2017||Harold L. Method Award|
|2017||Best Graduating Chief Resident Research Presentation|
|2017||Medical Student Clerkship Teaching Award|
|2017||Feinberg School of Medicine Resident Video Profile|
|2017||Resident as Teacher Award|
|2016||Appointed as Administrative Chief Resident|
|2016||Allen B. Kanavel Surgical Scholar Award|
|2016||Resident as Teacher Award|
|2015||Edelstone-Bendix Award for Clinical Research|
|2015||Association for Academic Surgery Outstanding Resident Presentation Award Finalist|
|2014||Chicago Surgical Society Annual Resident Award for Surgical Research|
|2013||Resident as Teacher Award|
|2013||Society of Thoracic Surgeons Looking to the Future Resident Scholarship|
|2012||American College of Surgeons Clinical Scholar-in-Residence Fellowship|
|2012||American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer Surgical Oncology Scholar-in-Residence Fellowship|
|2007||Microbes and Defense Academic Honor Society|
|2005||Departmental Honors in Biology|
|2005||Sigma Xi Honorary Society|
|2005||Washington University Dean’s List|
- Nelson DB, Mehran RJ, Mitchell KG, Rajaram R, Correa AM, Bassett RL, Antonoff MB, Hofstetter WL, Roth JA, Sepesi B, Swisher SG, Walsh GL, Vaporciyan AA, Rice DC. Robotic-Assisted Lobectomy for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer: A Comprehensive Institutional Experience. Ann Thorac Surg 108(2):370-376, 2019. e-Pub 2019. PMID: 31004583.
- Rajaram R, Hofstetter WL. Mucosal Ablation Techniques for Barrett's Esophagus and Early Esophageal Cancer. Thorac Surg Clin 28(4):473-480, 2018. PMID: 30268293.
- Rajaram R, DeCamp MM. Reply. Ann Thorac Surg 105(1):337-338, 2018. PMID: 29233346.
- Shah R, Pavey E, Ju M, Merkow R, Rajaram R, Wandling MW, Cohen ME, Dahlke A, Yang A, Bilimoria K. Evaluation of readmissions due to surgical site infections: A potential target for quality improvement. Am J Surg 214(5):773-779, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28637590.
- Rajaram R, Mohanty S, Bentrem DJ, Pavey ES, Odell DD, Bharat A, Bilimoria KY, DeCamp MM. Nationwide Assessment of Robotic Lobectomy for Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 103(4):1092-1100, 2017. e-Pub 2017. PMID: 28109575.
- Bilimoria KY, Quinn CM, Dahlke AR, Kelz RR, Shea JA, Rajaram R, Love R, Kreutzer L, Biester T, Yang AD, Hoyt DB, Lewis FR. Use and Underlying Reasons for Duty Hour Flexibility in the Flexibility in Duty Hour Requirements for Surgical Trainees (FIRST) Trial. J Am Coll Surg 224(2):118-125, 2017. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27884805.
- Rajaram R, Saadat L, Chung J, Dahlke A, Yang AD, Odell DD, Bilimoria KY. Impact of the 2011 ACGME resident duty hour reform on hospital patient experience and processes-of-care. BMJ Qual Saf 25(12):962-970, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26717986.
- Minami CA, Dahlke AR, Barnard C, Kinnier CV, Rajaram RR, Noskin GA, Bilimoria KY. Association Between Hospital Characteristics and Performance on the New Hospital-Acquired Condition Reduction Program's Surgical Site Infection Measures. JAMA Surg 151(8):777-9, 2016. PMID: 27050254.
- Saadat LV, Dahlke AR, Rajaram R, Kreutzer L, Love R, Odell DD, Bilimoria KY, Yang AD. Program Director Perceptions of Surgical Resident Training and Patient Care under Flexible Duty Hour Requirements. J Am Coll Surg 222(6):1098-105, 2016. e-Pub 2016. PMID: 27234632.
- Rajaram R, Paruch JL, Mohanty S, Holl JL, Bilimoria KY, Ko CY, Winchester DP, Patel JD, DeCamp MM. Patterns and Predictors of Chemotherapy Use for Resected Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. Ann Thorac Surg 101(2):533-40, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26507427.
- Mohanty S, Rajaram R, Bilimoria KY, Salem R, Pawlik TM, Bentrem DJ. Assessment of non-surgical versus surgical therapy for localized hepatocellular carcinoma. J Surg Oncol 113(2):175-80, 2016. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26662882.
- Rajaram R, Ju MH, Bilimoria KY, Ko CY, DeCamp MM. National evaluation of hospital readmission after pulmonary resection. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 150(6):1508-14.e2, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26092506.
- Rajaram R, Chung JW, Cohen ME, Dahlke AR, Yang AD, Meeks JJ, Ko CY, Tarpley JL, Hoyt DB, Bilimoria KY. Association of the 2011 ACGME Resident Duty Hour Reform with Postoperative Patient Outcomes in Surgical Specialties. J Am Coll Surg 221(3):748-57, 2015. e-Pub 2015. PMID: 26228013.
- Rajaram R, Bilimoria KY. JAMA PATIENT PAGE. Medicare. JAMA 314(4):420, 2015. PMID: 26219069.
- Rajaram R, Chung JW, Kinnier CV, Barnard C, Mohanty S, Pavey ES, McHugh MC, Bilimoria KY. Hospital Characteristics Associated With Penalties in the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services Hospital-Acquired Condition Reduction Program. JAMA 314(4):375-83, 2015. PMID: 26219055.
- Rajaram R, Barnard C, Bilimoria KY. Flaws in Patient Safety Measures--Reply. JAMA 313(24):2495, 2015. PMID: 26103038.
- Rajaram R, Barnard C, Bilimoria KY. Concerns about using the patient safety indicator-90 composite in pay-for-performance programs. JAMA 313(9):897-8, 2015. PMID: 25654581.
- Rajaram R, Chung JW, Jones AT, Cohen ME, Dahlke AR, Ko CY, Tarpley JL, Lewis FR, Hoyt DB, Bilimoria KY. Association of the 2011 ACGME resident duty hour reform with general surgery patient outcomes and with resident examination performance. JAMA 312(22):2374-84, 2014. PMID: 25490328.
- Kinnier CV, Asare EA, Mohanty S, Paruch JL, Rajaram R, Bilimoria KY. Risk prediction tools in surgical oncology. J Surg Oncol 110(5):500-8, 2014. e-Pub 2014. PMID: 24975865.
- Dahlke AR, Chung JW, Holl JL, Ko CY, Rajaram R, Modla L, Makary MA, Bilimoria KY. Evaluation of initial participation in public reporting of American College of Surgeons NSQIP surgical outcomes on Medicare's Hospital Compare website. J Am Coll Surg 218(3):374-80, 380.e1-5, 2014. e-Pub 2013. PMID: 24468223.
- Reig AS, Rajaram R, Simon S, Mericle RA. Complete angiographic obliteration of intracranial AVMs with endovascular embolization: incomplete embolic nidal opacification is associated with AVM recurrence. J Neurointerv Surg 2(3):202-7, 2010. e-Pub 2010. PMID: 21990624.